HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Senators @ Leafs l 04/08/04 l Gm.1 l 7 ET

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Sting

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
There were some really bad calls. The Phillips high-stick had to be the worst..his stick didn't even come up at all, he'd just taken a hit.

The 5 on 3 was questionable, but when you slash a guys stick and it breaks, thats slashing no matter what way you put it. There was a lot of punching to the head and high-sticks that T.O. got away with, and a trip or two Ottawa got away with. I think it balanced out in the end.

Like I said, Ottawa was going to win the first game because they were more fired up. Saturday will be the same, and if the Sens win that one the Leafs are in a world of hurt. They realized tonight they don't have the physical edge they used to.

Oh well, no more 4-0 Leaf predictions, hehe

Old
04-08-2004, 09:47 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
The Sens stars were great tonight. I thought Havlat was the best player on the ice and Hossa finally played the way he's capable of.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Suiteness

Boy, those europeans on the Sens just disappeared tonight when the hitting started to pick up.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:53 PM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
The Sens stars were great tonight. I thought Havlat was the best player on the ice and Hossa finally played the way he's capable of.
VERY impressed with his willingness to battle offensively and defensively. Like that time when he went to the boards for the puck. Did he win? Nope. But he tried.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:54 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Although i've yet to see it it sounded like Hossa's second goal was amazing, can anyone comment, and how does it compare to Lang's last night?

Old
04-08-2004, 09:58 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Although i've yet to see it it sounded like Hossa's second goal was amazing, can anyone comment, and how does it compare to Lang's last night?
I thought Lang's was more impressive, just because he was fighting through a check to do it.

Hossa's 2nd went like this.

Varada broke up a play at the blue line, and Hossa took off on a breakaway, with Kaberle(I think) unable to catch up. Belfour went for a poke check, but basically just took out Hossa's legs. As Hossa was flying through the air, he got the shot off into the empty net.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Egil

He scored from midair, which always looks VERY cool

Old
04-08-2004, 09:59 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
I didn't see Lang's, but Hossa's goal was indeed sweet.

Basically Johansson had the puck right at the edge of the Senators blueline and he faked a wrister. Varada slid/fell into Johansson (who also fell), as they went down...Varada poked the puck up and Hossa grabbed it.

He took off, with Kaberle trying desperately to catch up to him.

Hossa roars in on Eddie dead center. Eddie comes roaring out of the net, slides...trips hossa..who goes flying to his left over Eddie. With both feet in the air he snaps the puck into the empty net.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

In my opinion, the Hossa goal rounds out the top 3 best tallies so far in the playoffs, with Morrison's and Lang's slightly ahead of it.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Leaf_Crazy

The refs need to distinguish if the stick is breaking due to...
-Excessive Force

or

-A faulty stick, that will break easy on occausion

Old
04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
The refs need to distinguish if the stick is breaking due to...
-Excessive Force

or

-A faulty stick, that will break easy on occausion
It's hard to tell that sometimes though...that WAS a slash, no doubt. I see it called every time it's done, so obviously the refs think so too. There wasn't anything wrong with that 5 on 3...people complain because the team on the PK often gets away with lots of penalties while they're killing. In the playoffs that doesn't happen much.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:38 PM
o-dog

Lang's goal was awesome, no comparison.

Leafs were tight tonight, I don't think that many people equated that they would be feeling the pressure. The press in TO are painting them to be the destined saviours of every Leaf fan that wishes for the Cup and the fact remains, they are in the thick of it with probably 10 other teams. They are not clear cut favourites by any means, just one of many...

Old
04-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

The Leafs were flat, and the Sens were sharp. I wouldn't expect to see the Leafs play another game like that again this series. The rest of the wins will be much more difficult.

I must say the officiating was strange. Some bads calls on both sides, and some clear no-calls on both sides. Hope it stabilizes itself.

Saturday is going to be great. The Sens will hardly get cocky - they know the Leafs better than that. And the Leafs, well, they'll be coming out with some serious desperation. It'll take a great game by Ottawa to take game 2, no doubt.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quick take on the game from a fan with no allegience to either team whatsoever:

Sens played an extremely confident game. About as solid a playoff road game as one can expect.

Leafs, too, were playing a strong, smart rugged game...until they fell behind. Then they played like a beaten team (rugged by not smart). I fully expect this to be a close long series (and I picked the Leafs in 7), but if they react to adversity that way, they will play right into the Sens hands and this will be a shot series.

The 5-on-3 penalty calls that resulted in the Sens taking the lead are an easy excuse. Good playoff teams overcome such hurdles. Good playoff teams also cash in on the few opportunities they get. End of story.

Game Two: Time for Sundin, Mogilny and Leetch to step forward and match the Sens' star players' performance.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-08-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old
04-09-2004, 09:22 AM
SENSational

GO SENS GO Yay!

Closed Thread