HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Asheville

Old
09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Ric Flair

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Asheville

Hi everyone. This is way off topic, I have an interview tomorrow with the VA hospital in Asheville. I have never been there before but have heard good things. I know it's an artsy type hippie town but I'd like to hear from as many people as I can what the pros and cons are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ric Flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:41 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Great food in the area there, by far the best sushi I've had in the state. Also a place downtown that makes great pizza that has something like 60 beers on tap. I'm trying to remember the name but the beer list was impressive if you're into that. Cost of living isn't too bad, probably a bit less then here in the Triangle although IIRC wages aren't as high either. Scenic place to live to be sure, and there's some skiing in the area... even though it's rather mediocre skiing.

as for the cons, there's not much of a nightlife in the town from what I remember my one semester there. Not a lot of sports either, with the Asheville Aces of the SPHL being the only local team I can think of. Charlotte has the ECHL. As you mentioned, politics. Although there's a fairly significant conservative community there too, they tended to be a tad too right wing for my tastes. Old school Republicans and a large hippie community made for an interesting mix at election time to say the least.

If a local sports team and a big time bar scene isn't a big thing for you then it's a great place to live IMO.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Ric Flair

Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Great food in the area there, by far the best sushi I've had in the state. Also a place downtown that makes great pizza that has something like 60 beers on tap. I'm trying to remember the name but the beer list was impressive if you're into that. Cost of living isn't too bad, probably a bit less then here in the Triangle although IIRC wages aren't as high either. Scenic place to live to be sure, and there's some skiing in the area... even though it's rather mediocre skiing.

as for the cons, there's not much of a nightlife in the town from what I remember my one semester there. Not a lot of sports either, with the Asheville Aces of the SPHL being the only local team I can think of. Charlotte has the ECHL. As you mentioned, politics. Although there's a fairly significant conservative community there too, they tended to be a tad too right wing for my tastes. Old school Republicans and a large hippie community made for an interesting mix at election time to say the least.

If a local sports team and a big time bar scene isn't a big thing for you then it's a great place to live IMO.
Thanks for the info, pretty good stuff. I don't really care about having a local sports team. I live in Pittsburgh and love the Pens and Pirates but most of the sports I watch are on tv, primarily the English Premier League. A big time bar scene doesn't mean anything either as long as there is a place I can go to grab a few beers or a six pack to go. As long as a town has a decent gym I think I'd be pretty happy.

Old
09-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

I live out there when I was a kid for a few years. Beautiful place, especially in the fall. I know exactly what pizza place Dave is talking about, but I can't remember the name either.

The only other sports team I can think of would be the Asheville Tourists, they're a farm team for the Rockies.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:33 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

As for the gym thing, I think Asheville's gyms require you to take hits from a bong to gain access to them.

In all seriousness, Asheville is a pretty laid back decent sized town that is obviously a little bit more liberal than most places in the South which is given by the type of people who live there (mostly college students and young adults, or old hippie type people).

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
RaisingCanes

I think you guys must be thinking of Barleys Taproom downtown. Just up the street from there is a cool Irish bar called Hannah Flanagan's. Has several hundred beers to try.

Asheville also has a decent music scene going. Warren Haynes from Gov't Mule, Allmans, etc grew up there.

Asheville is a great place to live if you don't mind being in the "Berkeley of the East". I grew up about 30 miles north of there.

RaisingCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:01 AM
AD Skinner

I've lived in Asheville for about 6 years, and I really do enjoy it here. As everyone has said it is really beautiful, especially if you take the time to get out of the city and up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can drive around or find a trail and hike. The downtown scene is definitely a young man's game, but if you're into seeing live music there are at least 3 or 4 bands (of varying degrees of quality) playing downtown every night. There are a lot of hippies in the city and college area, but the suburbs tend to lean towards the conservative. Beer is a big deal in town (some magazine recently named Asheville "Beer City USA") as there are several breweries around the city and even at gas stations and grocery stores the beer selection is almost always extensive, considerably more so than a lot of other cities.

I'm not getting paid by the city to advertise it or whatever, but it is a pretty cool town in a lot of ways. Could definitely use some more hockey-friendly people in it.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

Nope - the Aces went belly up a few years ago. The only local sports team are the Asheville Tourists, a low-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies playing in the South Atlantic League. They play at BEAUTIFUL and historic McCormick Field - notable in that it was the site of the shortest professional baseball game in history (just under an hour, if memory serves correctly), author Thomas Wolfe served as a batboy there, and the field was the site of Babe Ruth's infamous "Bellyache Heard 'Round the World." Also in close driving distance are the Greenville Drive, the low-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, also a SAL team. Their park, Fluor Field, is modeled after Fenway. I have mixed feelings on the team (the Drive are my former hometown team, the Capital City Bombers, who moved from Columbia, SC to Greenville, SC in 2005.

At any rate, I'd echo what others have said - it's an awesome city in a beautiful part of the state!

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Ric Flair

Had the interview today, should know early next week whether I get it or not. Thanks again to everyone for the helpful information.

Old
10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
bag12day

Well sorry I'm late to the party and my post here and your Butner question will be around outdoors things. There are fantastic places to hike, backpack and camp in the mountains right outside of Ashville. I have backpacked a great deal along the Great Smokey Moutains and the Appalachian Trail (sp) and the area just West of Ashville is one of my favorite areas. Cooler in the summer than the rest of NC and fairly mild winters and a definite improvement over Pennsylvania. If you like trout fishing the Ashville area has some of the best trout fishing in the SE US. There are a few local ski areas the offer at least a chance to get on natural and manmade snow for a few months during the winter.
As others said not a huge "nightlife" scene but more than it's fair share of small pubs and bars that locally owned. I will reiterate that the mix of folks there is interesting to say the least.

bag12day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
I love Asheville. I live 50 miles South, right across the state line. I wish the Aces or Smoke were still playing there. Now I'm stuck going to Charlotte Checkers games. As a long time Grrrowlhead, this was a tough move for some reason.

As for the music, it's a dynomite scene. Widspread Panic, Phish, Mule, reggae....it does it all. I plan on attending the Warren Haynes CHristmas Jam if I'm home in time.

(Currently working in Bellingham, Washington)

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post
I live out there when I was a kid for a few years. Beautiful place, especially in the fall. I know exactly what pizza place Dave is talking about, but I can't remember the name either.

The only other sports team I can think of would be the Asheville Tourists, they're a farm team for the Rockies.
You forget the UNC-Asheville Bulldogs. Pretty fair lower-division basketball (they had that 7'7 guy a few years back), and baseball.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Scorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
I love Asheville. I live 50 miles South, right across the state line. I wish the Aces or Smoke were still playing there. Now I'm stuck going to Charlotte Checkers games. As a long time Grrrowlhead, this was a tough move for some reason.

As for the music, it's a dynomite scene. Widspread Panic, Phish, Mule, reggae....it does it all. I plan on attending the Warren Haynes CHristmas Jam if I'm home in time.

(Currently working in Bellingham, Washington)
don't foget when Smashing Pumpkins played 9 straight nights in asheville

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote