Ducks fan forum live.

Old
09-29-2009, 11:22 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Did Murray really say he wan't Wiz to fight more? Seems wierd to want your #3 dman fighting more.
Good point. Especially when you also consider those comments a week or so back, where he said it was "hard having an enforcer on the defense." That was a big reason why he got (and even overpaid) for Artyukhin.

But if he wants a defenseman to do it, it sure isn't going to be Scotty or Whitney.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Talentless Practise*

vCash: 500
Boynton has been doing a fair bit of scrapping in his career and he's much more expendable and replaceable. Other thing to notice is that Wis' injury concerns began from fighting. A wierd thing to say alltogether.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Did Murray really say he wants Wiz to fight more? Seems wierd to want your #3 dman fighting more.
Wiz was billed as a feisty guy, which he kind of is. I think Murray wants to make sure that Wisniewski is what we saw in Chicago, the big hitting, glove-dropping type. Plus, we're low on toughness from the back end.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

I absolutely love the way Carlyle handles young players, not wanting to put them in positions to fail. I seriously can't believe I ever wanted the guy fired, such a terrible knee jerk reaction . I wonder where this team would be if we rushed Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan.

Anywho, Dewars Scotch is fiiiiine.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
Wiz was billed as a feisty guy, which he kind of is. I think Murray wants to make sure that Wisniewski is what we saw in Chicago, the big hitting, glove-dropping type. Plus, we're low on toughness from the back end.
As it happens, i'm much happier with the James Wisniewski we got than the James Wisniewski we were billed to get. Instead of the feisty, glove-dropping #5 we got a solid #3 with surprisingly good offense to go with solid defense and hitting. Sure, dropping the gloves once in a while is fine to expect from him but it just seems odd to specifically mention that as we do have a lot of guys capable of throwing down when the need arises.

Edit. I'm quite proud of myself having spelled Wisniewski correctly twice in one post.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:23 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Waive Brookbank.
Yeah a 550K minor leaguer makes a lot of sense to a team that isn't making money. They'll go with 8 D or send Mikkelson down before they waive Brookbank or Boynton or any other marginal D-man on a one-way deal. If Murph can find a trading partner for one of them that's a different story but waiving them isn't happening.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:52 AM
ericnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Yeah a 550K minor leaguer makes a lot of sense to a team that isn't making money. They'll go with 8 D or send Mikkelson down before they waive Brookbank or Boynton or any other marginal D-man on a one-way deal. If Murph can find a trading partner for one of them that's a different story but waiving them isn't happening.
It makes even more sense to find out if a team would pick him up off waivers. If so, waive him.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Pepper

Quote:
It makes even more sense to find out if a team would pick him up off waivers. If so, waive him.
If no-one picked him off the waivers right away, he could be picked up for half of his salary when he's recalled from minors.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:19 AM
ericnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
If no-one picked him off the waivers right away, he could be picked up for half of his salary when he's recalled from minors.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Exactly. I think the fighting was used as an example of just aggressive play from Wisniewski. The way Murray phrased it was that he was known to be a hard-nosed physical and punishing force in Chicago, moreso than what he has displayed so far in Anaheim. Murray wants to see that facet back in his game on a consistent basis and is concerned that since suffering injuries to his knee that Wisniewski is playing a more timid style.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Yeah because teams will jump at the chance to add Sheldon Brookbank. I mean there was no way someone would pass on Mathieu Schneider when he got placed on waivers.

Seriously though Brookbank would clear waivers and re-entry waivers. There isn't a demand for marginal 7th D-men in this league.

Old
09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Yeah because teams will jump at the chance to add Sheldon Brookbank. I mean there was no way someone would pass on Mathieu Schneider when he got placed on waivers.

Seriously though Brookbank would clear waivers and re-entry waivers. There isn't a demand for marginal 7th D-men in this league.
I dunna....his brother Wade pretty much made it his career to be waived and selected for a couple seasons there.

I get the feeling that there are standing orders at a handful of NHL clubs that if a 'Brookbank' appears on the waiver wire, they're filing a claim.

With that said...Phoenix just picked Bissonette off the waiver wire...so it's not unheard of that marginal 7th D-men who are physical are wanted...

Old
09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Exactly. I think the fighting was used as an example of just aggressive play from Wisniewski. The way Murray phrased it was that he was known to be a hard-nosed physical and punishing force in Chicago, moreso than what he has displayed so far in Anaheim. Murray wants to see that facet back in his game on a consistent basis and is concerned that since suffering injuries to his knee that Wisniewski is playing a more timid style.
Which is true, no question. Wisniewski is still an effective player but he can and should be a lot more punishing. It wouldn't make him an enforcer.

Old
09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Which is true, no question. Wisniewski is still an effective player but he can and should be a lot more punishing. It wouldn't make him an enforcer.
Precisely. Looks like we're in agreement....ok....shuffles paper...moving on....

Next issue on the agenda:
  • Does putting Ebbett on the third line, in fact, make it a 'scoring line'?
  • Does this definition change if it is not Ebbett, but Christensen in that spot?
  • Does it matter who the other members are on that line (assuming they are Marchant and R2)?
For reference (and further reading), the latest practice lineup seem to have Lupul out with his back injury and Nokia out with his groin thus:

RPG
Ebbett-Koivu-Selanne
Marchant-Christensen-R2
Brown-Carter-Parros

I have a dream...that lines can go on the ice and play hockey without labels...that a checking line can score...that a scoring line can provide energy...that an energy line can shut down attacking opponents.

I have a dream that all players, regardless of whether they are from Finland or Russia or Vernon, British Columbia, can follow the lead of one, Toddrick Marchant and play where ever they should be asked.

I have a dream today!

Old
09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Hate to see Lupul crapping out already.

Old
09-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
I dunna....his brother Wade pretty much made it his career to be waived and selected for a couple seasons there.

I get the feeling that there are standing orders at a handful of NHL clubs that if a 'Brookbank' appears on the waiver wire, they're filing a claim.

With that said...Phoenix just picked Bissonette off the waiver wire...so it's not unheard of that marginal 7th D-men who are physical are wanted...
Bissonnette has been playing forward mostly as of late though. But whatever, Brookbank can do that too

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Wake up, 7th d-men and 4th line forwards do get picked up all the time. Every team needs a 7th d-man and there are teams who might look for a cheap, physical option.

Old
09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Wake up, 7th d-men and 4th line forwards do get picked up all the time. Every team needs a 7th d-man and there are teams who might look for a cheap, physical option.
Yes and I'm sure just about every team has one right now. If there was any demand for Sheldon Brookbank right now he'd be gone. No two ways about it. He'll still be useful for this team and I'm glad he's still around but if we could delete him and add Mikkelson to the lineup we should. A whole lot of marginal D-men have been placed on waivers the last few days and none have been claimed.

Old
09-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Yes and I'm sure just about every team has one right now. If there was any demand for Sheldon Brookbank right now he'd be gone. No two ways about it. He'll still be useful for this team and I'm glad he's still around but if we could delete him and add Mikkelson to the lineup we should. A whole lot of marginal D-men have been placed on waivers the last few days and none have been claimed.
So how is it that Murray wants Brookbank around but no other GM would take him if available on waivers??

How many teams have a physical 7th d-man with ~100 game NHL experience like Brookbank?

Old
09-30-2009, 04:33 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
So how is it that Murray wants Brookbank around but no other GM would take him if available on waivers??

How many teams have a physical 7th d-man with ~100 game NHL experience like Brookbank?
Plenty I guess. Plus GMs are not normally in the business of taking other team's garbage. That's not to say Brookbank won't be a useful 7th D-man for us because he will. But that's because he's our player and we know him best. There's 29 other GMs who probably feel the exact same way about their 7th D-man and thus have no need for ours.

Old
09-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Elvs

While I agree Brookbank is a good 7th defenseman that teams could use. You should remember there are guys like de Vries, Bergeron etc still being free agents. Christian Backman is another one who actually played in the preseason and had a full training camp, just like Cullimore, Dandeault, Semenov and McLaren. And there's more free agents out there...

Last edited by Elvs: 09-30-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Hate to see Lupul crapping out already.
Lupul apparently participated in practice today and was fine afterwards. Don't let your biases show so quickly.

Old
09-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Don't let your biases show so quickly.
You tell him!

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

That guy is always way too hard on Lupul.

Old
09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
did they discuss the matter of the small seat sizes or lack of cupholders in the arena?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote