HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-1-09 Regular Season Opener: Sharks at Avs 8 PM MT

Old
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
chiavsfan

vCash: 500
10-1-09 Regular Season Opener: Sharks at Avs 8 PM MT

Why not start this thing a day early?

Joe Sakic jersey retirement ceremony will show on Versus (depending on the first game)...and Altitude. I would guess the on-line version of the NHL Network may go with a free stream.

The game itself? Will be on Versus only, and with the recent feud, many may not be able to see it. (Though I imagine a few websites with illegal feeds will be popping up)

As for what to expect? I guess time will tell. The Avs come in with a relatively young squad, against a GREAT regular season team which just added a two time 50 goal scorer.

Discuss...and WELCOME BACK HOCKEY!!!

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
Whatever the outcome, the Avs better be skating their butts off tomorrow night, no excuses.

I'll be in Florida tomorrow, so I doubt I'll get to see the game

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Adama0905

I'm gonna be there...yay!

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
Whatever the outcome, the Avs better be skating their butts off tomorrow night, no excuses.

I'll be in Florida tomorrow, so I doubt I'll get to see the game
I'm traveling also. Chance I'll get back in time.

I'm looking for that hard work you highlighted, and also to see how the special teams and overall system look. Playing the kids is certainly nice, as was getting a new goaltender, but if Sacco doesn't improve some of the systematic issues we had last year, it's probably not going to matter all that much.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:40 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

I'm looking forward to this season. We're seeing a young team take the stage, will they surprise the NHL? Ya never know.

Can't wait to see #19 in the rafters and for Joe to say his final farewell to the team (although I expect him to join the Avs again in some form relatively soon).

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I'm traveling also. Chance I'll get back in time.

I'm looking for that hard work you highlighted, and also to see how the special teams and overall system look. Playing the kids is certainly nice, as was getting a new goaltender, but if Sacco doesn't improve some of the systematic issues we had last year, it's probably not going to matter all that much.

-AB
It doesn't require alot of effort to improve what the Avs had going last year. Sacco sounds like his goals are getting this team to play a certain style & regain an identity, which we've sorely lacked the past few seasons. I think he's going to light a fire under this team, especially if they fall into old habits again.

Old
09-30-2009, 10:00 AM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Great to see a regular season game day thread! Thanks Chia for getting things started. I'll be at the game and have the dvr set to record all activities at and around the game. I expect a few tears to be shed.

It is tough to predict what to expect from this team but I am hoping to see hard work and fierce competition to honor Joe Sakic's career.

bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
chiavsfan

Long time no talk Bling...everyone who is going, have a blast! I'll be watching on the couch at home, but will be at the United Center on the 10th for the Hawks and Avs

Old
09-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling View Post
Great to see a regular season game day thread! Thanks Chia for getting things started. I'll be at the game and have the dvr set to record all activities at and around the game. I expect a few tears to be shed.

It is tough to predict what to expect from this team but I am hoping to see hard work and fierce competition to honor Joe Sakic's career.
Seconded. If we lose, we go down fighting. Anything less than the greatest effort these guys can put forth is an insult to what Joe brought to this team.

Old
09-30-2009, 10:34 AM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9 View Post
It doesn't require alot of effort to improve what the Avs had going last year. Sacco sounds like his goals are getting this team to play a certain style & regain an identity, which we've sorely lacked the past few seasons. I think he's going to light a fire under this team, especially if they fall into old habits again.
Yes, I agree with that, but effort is just one component. There's more to a successful NHL system and special teams than just effort.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:37 AM
chiavsfan

Quote:
Yes, I agree with that, but effort is just one component. There's more to a successful NHL system and special teams than just effort.

-AB
Having an actual "system" might be a good start huh?

Old
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:

-AB
Getting a shot at Taylor Hall in the summer wouldn't bother me much in all honesty.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Makkeli

vCash: 50
I live in Finland, and i'm in high school, and in friday i have my last exam of this week, but still i will watch this match! It starts 2.00 Am in finnish time, and my exam starts 8.00, so i think that i will be kind of tired

Makkeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Seaward*

I don't expect a win, but I do expect to see an actual system this year and a D that is not complete incompotent.

My guess is 3 to 1 Sharks.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:

-AB
I was implying that Sacco doesn't have to go above & beyond to get this team to play in a successful system. Last season, as people mention, there really wasn't a system. Hearing Sacco himself, he plans on changing that. What comes into play is another story, we'll have to hope it works.

Old
09-30-2009, 11:58 AM
hockeyfish

The nice thing about being rated last in the league going into the season is there is no way we can possibly underachieve.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Super excited. Gonna be watching it online due to it getting pulled from TSN bc of CBC.

Go Avs!

Should be a tight game....maybe 3-2 Avs in OT?

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

What time is the Sakic ceremony starting? On my guide the game shows up at 7:30, so unless the Bruins game goes into OT, will I get the whole ceremony? I don't get altitude, I just get the game on Centre Ice. Anyone in Canada know if NHL Network is gonna pick up the pregame stuff?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
Long time no talk Bling...everyone who is going, have a blast! I'll be watching on the couch at home, but will be at the United Center on the 10th for the Hawks and Avs
It has been a long time, it seems you have been busy though! Congrats on the latest li'l Avs fan!

Old
09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
What time is the Sakic ceremony starting? On my guide the game shows up at 7:30, so unless the Bruins game goes into OT, will I get the whole ceremony? I don't get altitude, I just get the game on Centre Ice. Anyone in Canada know if NHL Network is gonna pick up the pregame stuff?
The ceremony is set to start ar 6:45 I believe. The format will be bit different as the pre-game skate will not take place until after the ceremony. (Makes much more sense to me. The players will not get all stiffened up waiting through a long emotional ceremony and then jumping into game action.)

I do not know if CI will carry the ceremony. As I understand it is scheduled here in Denver to be broadcast by Altitude and Versus will have the actual game. How that correlates to the Center Ice scheduling I do not know.

Old
09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I have a hockey game at 6:50... Hopefully I'll be back by 9...

Predition: 5-3 San Jose (goals to Stastny, Tucker and McLeod)

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

the sharks will be a good gauge of where this team is at, early in the season.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Adama0905

I'm honestly expecting a win truth be told. I don't see the season going down the drains until around ten or fifteen games in, and San Jose usually isn't that hot to start the season are they?

Old
09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
avsfan99

with a 13-2 record to start the season last year, i would say they were pretty cold

avsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I'm honestly expecting a win truth be told. I don't see the season going down the drains until around ten or fifteen games in, and San Jose usually isn't that hot to start the season are they?
I think SJ will be pressing for the W

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote