HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the extra time off a good thing?

Old
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
EdmFlyersfan

vCash: 500
Is the extra time off a good thing?

The Flyers have been in "playoff mode" for some time and I think it has worked to their advantage.

Anyone think the extra time off will cool our jets and make the Flyers less "urgent". I am recalling how the Flyers cooled off after the Olympic break, while they were on fire before the Olympic break occurred.

Thoughts?

PS: The only advantage I see right now is the possible return of Gagne comes sooner than later and some banged up guys get a chance to heal.

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmFlyersfan View Post
The Flyers have been in "playoff mode" for some time and I think it has worked to their advantage.

Anyone think the extra time off will cool our jets and make the Flyers less "urgent". I am recalling how the Flyers cooled off after the Olympic break, while they were on fire before the Olympic break occurred.

Thoughts?

PS: The only advantage I see right now is the possible return of Gagne comes sooner than later and some banged up guys get a chance to heal.
No real chance of Gags or Carter coming back any time soon. But everyone is beat up. It's great for guys like Kimmo and Pronger who are eating a ton of minutes. I don't think there has ever been a statistical analysis of the effects of differing amounts of time off. To be honest, they'll be playing the first two games away anyway, so it isn't as urgent to be rust-free. Not like it would be if they blew a home game to start a series. And Lavy will keep them occupied.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmFlyersfan View Post

Thoughts?

That's always the quintessential dilemma. Are the days off good?

In this case, I'm going to go with, yes. As long as Lavi uses the time and really practices hard in preparation for Washington.

Also, in light of Lappy taking the face-shot and committing to wearing a shield from here on out, the extra time could help to get him feeling a bit better about what happened and adapted to playing with a shield. Because let's be honest, without Betts and Lappy muffling the PP, we have no chance.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
decadentia

I hate to be a negative nancy, but no I can't see it being a good thing. As others have mentioned, Gags/Carter are not coming back.

They are on a roll, and Washington is going to be difficult. I wish we could just continue to play.

Course, who knows, maybe Canadiens will bang Washington to a longer series and get them good and roughed up....naaahh

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
That's always the quintessential dilemma. Are the days off good?

In this case, I'm going to go with, yes. As long as Lavi uses the time and really practices hard in preparation for Washington.

Also, in light of Lappy taking the face-shot and committing to wearing a shield from here on out, the extra time could help to get him feeling a bit better about what happened and adapted to playing with a shield. Because let's be honest, without Betts and Lappy muffling the PP, we have no chance.
LOL, if the Rangers would have spent 500k to re-sign Betts they'd be in the playoffs...

Old
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I hate to be a negative nancy, but no I can't see it being a good thing. As others have mentioned, Gags/Carter are not coming back.

They are on a roll, and Washington is going to be difficult. I wish we could just continue to play.

Course, who knows, maybe Canadiens will bang Washington to a longer series and get them good and roughed up....naaahh
Maybe Backstrom and Ovy block a few shots

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
LOL, if the Rangers would have spent 500k to re-sign Betts they'd be in the playoffs...
Sather!

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Maybe Backstrom and Ovy block a few shots
I'd like to see Ovy try and buy tickets from scalpers in Philly

Kidding to any Washington fans reading....

Sort of...

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

i dont think it will affect them so much. Lavi is going to keep them occupied, and this gives them a ton of time to get ready for the Caps.

yeah, somehow i dont think theyll be playing montreal.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
qwertysac

When a team is this banged up, yes, time off is good. Best thing we can hope for is a couple of first round series to go to game 7 to give gags more time to come back.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Flyers93

So let's say all East series end in 5 or 6 games. Do they go ahead and start the 2nd round or do they have to wait for the West to end too? Cause the West likely has atleast 1, more than likely 2 or 3 series going 7 games.

I've never thought about this.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
So let's say all East series end in 5 or 6 games. Do they go ahead and start the 2nd round or do they have to wait for the West to end too? Cause the West likely has atleast 1, more than likely 2 or 3 series going 7 games.

I've never thought about this.
I think the only time they change the schedule radically is when a banged up and aging Red Wings team finishes their series and then Bettman wants to rush them to face a younger, fresher Pittsburgh team...

Old
04-22-2010, 11:42 PM
mypunkrock

They have a week off (earliest game 1 can be is next Thursday). Maybe they get a day off tomorrow, let the guys rest their bodies.

But by this point, we've got to trust Lavi. Clearly he knows what he is doing. Worst case scenario, it's not like we can't find a soda machine or two and have a sledgehammer placed conveniently in the locker room.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Cleary84

I trust Lavi knows the right way to go.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 12:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
For this team it is. After being balls to the wall just to get in, and disposing of the Devils quickly. Our 2 best penalty killers could have been more seriously hurt than they already were tonight. Plus think of all the skating Laviolette's made these guys do in practice. They might be flat in Game 1, but with the Capitals looming, the Flyers will need to rest in advance of playing against a completely different style. The Devils offense was held back by Lemaire really, the Caps will run-and-gun all night long.

Also, unlike when the Flyers were probably confident drawing New Jersey, a team they beat 5 of 6, they lost 3 of 4 to Washington.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Unstable

Rest, good. Chance to practice with new linemates, good. Chance of learning to take fewer **** penalties, GOOD, but realistically not gonna happen.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
I think the rest is good. As was mentioned, Pronger and Timonen have played a lot of minutes already, rest will help them, and it will give Lappy a chance to heal up so the stitches don't bother him and he can practice with the shield.

The only concern would be that a hot Boucher might go cold going a week without gametime, but I feel like even more important than him being "hot" is his confidence and approach, and that shouldn't change in this brief time.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote