HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Henrik Sedin gets an A

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
  #26
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Daniel always has been more of a follower.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
  #27
tesplen
Registered User
 
tesplen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
^^^^^
Do you have any actual evidence to support that statement? Are you familiar with the team dynamic? Have you spent time as a member of the Canucks organization, or even been a part of their locker room? Or are you just making an assumption and posting it like you have some kind of authority on the issue?


Also, for those who were talking about this earlier. Daniel wasn't drafted "2 seconds" ahead of Henrik. They were drafted at the same time. Brian Burke didn't go up to the podium and say "The Canucks draft Daniel Sedin" and then have him come up and put on a jersey, and then a few minutes later say "The Canucks draft Henrik Sedin". He drafted them both at once. Come on. Daniel was just technically the higher pick because one of them had to be for official purposes, it didn't really matter which one. Man, now I feel stupid for having to type this up.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
  #28
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
^^^^^
Do you have any actual evidence to support that statement? Are you familiar with the team dynamic? Have you spent time as a member of the Canucks organization, or even been a part of their locker room? Or are you just making an assumption and posting it like you have some kind of authority on the issue?


Also, for those who were talking about this earlier. Daniel wasn't drafted "2 seconds" ahead of Henrik. They were drafted at the same time. Brian Burke didn't go up to the podium and say "The Canucks draft Daniel Sedin" and then have him come up and put on a jersey, and then a few minutes later say "The Canucks draft Henrik Sedin". He drafted them both at once. Come on. Daniel was just technically the higher pick because one of them had to be for official purposes, it didn't really matter which one. Man, now I feel stupid for having to type this up.
I used to babysit for both families.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:17 PM
  #29
tesplen
Registered User
 
tesplen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I used to babysit for both families.
Even if you weren't kidding, what would that have to do with Canucks team leadership?

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:17 PM
  #30
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra
 
Dirkph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
It's a walk off.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:20 PM
  #31
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
Even if you weren't kidding, what would that have to do with Canucks team leadership?
I've observed their dynamic. Daniel is always walking behind Henrik. Henrik always tells Daniel what to do. It's always "Daniel get the baby's bottle" "Daniel you can't have fetuccini alfredo, you know how bloated cream makes you." It's the kind of thing you have to be there to understand. Also, when Henrik did a goattee, Daniel did one right after him.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
  #32
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,026
vCash: 500
I bet it came down to a coin flip. I could see them alternating the A every season.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
  #33
Warren Piece
Registered User
 
Warren Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Maybe Henrik is the better choice, they aren't the same people you know.

Warren Piece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
  #34
ubiquitous
More like Shredder
 
ubiquitous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
^^^^^
Do you have any actual evidence to support that statement? Are you familiar with the team dynamic? Have you spent time as a member of the Canucks organization, or even been a part of their locker room? Or are you just making an assumption and posting it like you have some kind of authority on the issue?
Holy giant overreaction to a joke. lol.

It's about time one of the Sedins got an A, even though it's more symbolic than anything else, considering Mitchell is probably the guy who will be talking to the refs more often than not.

If anything, they probably picked Hank because he's a centre and they needed someone to take the ceremonial faceoffs.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
  #35
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
Holy giant overreaction to a joke. lol.

It's about time one of the Sedins got an A, even though it's more symbolic than anything else, considering Mitchell is probably the guy who will be talking to the refs more often than not.

If anything, they probably picked Hank because he's a centre and they needed someone to take the ceremonial faceoffs.
dammit, I was looking forward to seeing how long fruity could string him along. Way to ruin it.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
  #36
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,679
vCash: 500
This is a no brainer decision IMO. Good choice. You can't have the guys you are depending on for offensive production, who you expect to lead the team to not have a formal acknowledgment of that situation. Hank is a good choice for the'A'.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
  #37
Leadfoot
Registered User
 
Leadfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UBC
Country: Canada
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
Holy giant overreaction to a joke. lol.

It's about time one of the Sedins got an A, even though it's more symbolic than anything else, considering Mitchell is probably the guy who will be talking to the refs more often than not.

If anything, they probably picked Hank because he's a centre and they needed someone to take the ceremonial faceoffs.
I could just imagine the Canucks stripping a player of captaincy because they had a low ceremonial faceoff winning percentage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
  #38
ubiquitous
More like Shredder
 
ubiquitous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
dammit, I was looking forward to seeing how long fruity could string him along. Way to ruin it.
I'm pretty sure the joke is still safe, it's obvious this guy can't read.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
  #39
Warren Piece
Registered User
 
Warren Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMrad View Post
I could just imagine the Canucks stripping a player of captaincy because they had a low ceremonial faceoff winning percentage.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's why we didn't re-sign Ohlund.

Warren Piece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
  #40
BedBeats
 
BedBeats's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BeaumontTX/VancityBC
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMrad View Post
I could just imagine the Canucks stripping a player of captaincy because they had a low ceremonial faceoff winning percentage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some here think that Hank is too soft for ceremonial face-offs.

BedBeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
  #41
lush
@jasonlush
 
lush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 500
I liked the appointment of Kesler as an assistant captain but seeing him talk about Backes' wife in the playoffs was kind of a turn-off. I mean don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious but at the same time I never pictured all-time great captains like Sakic doing that type of thing. Making Bieksa or Burrows assistant captains seems like more of the same in that regard. At the end of the day it's impossible to know what these guys are like on the ice, with officials or in the room because non of us are there.

For those who disliked the somewhat unorthodox naming of Luongo as captain you must be pleased with this fairly obvious choice of Henrik as an assistant. He's up there competing for the NHL ironman competition, he was tied for team lead in points last season. He's our first line center (for what that's worth) and he's likely to lead our team offensively this season. I guess I feel bad for Daniel? Well, about as bad as I felt when Henrik went to the all-star game without him.

And for the record I don't like alternating the A between home games and road games. When you earn the A and keep it the whole season it makes it mean more than sharing it.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
  #42
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I liked the appointment of Kesler as an assistant captain but seeing him talk about Backes' wife in the playoffs was kind of a turn-off. I mean don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious but at the same time I never pictured all-time great captains like Sakic doing that type of thing.
I kind of feel uncomfortable using this example, but you don't think Mark Messier never trash talked? The soft spoken Yzermans and Sakics seem the exception.

Also, Daniel used to trash talk on Mattias' kid all the time.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:45 PM
  #43
tesplen
Registered User
 
tesplen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
Holy giant overreaction to a joke. lol.
Damnit, I missed the post right before his. :embarassed:

LOL, well, you can't blame me for being on edge in discussions like this with the influx of CDC'ers we've had here lately that would make a statement like that seriously.

well done fruity

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:46 PM
  #44
tantalum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 10,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
From what I understood last year they way they had the Assistant Captains set up was that Ohlund would do the ceremonial face offs (due to being the longest standing Canuck) Kesler and Mitchell would be the ones to talk to the refs.

So the Sedin's are currently the players who have been a Canuck the longest, although I thought Dank was drafted first so that still doesn't make sense.

But IMO that's why it's one of the Sedins.
i don't agree with that at all. AV and Gillis both commented during the past season that Henrik was not only a leader on the ice with his hard work but became a leader in the dressing room. He stepped up to lead and impressed the coaching staff. Well they said that about both of the twins but Henrik was singled out in one interview I heard or read.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:52 PM
  #45
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,144
vCash: 500
I disagree with this move, Kesler/Mitchell/Burrows/Salo should have the A. I just hope they wouldnt lead us to choking once again.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
  #46
Alexistheman
Registered User
 
Alexistheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Surrey
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Good desicion. Henrik has always come across as more of a "captain" than Daniel to me.

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:05 PM
  #47
Alexistheman
Registered User
 
Alexistheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Surrey
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I disagree with this move, Kesler/Mitchell/Burrows/Salo should have the A. I just hope they wouldnt lead us to choking once again.
Brilliant. Lets have an Alternate that will miss 20+ games in Salo or one that the refs are told to watch out for. Brilliant logic.

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:14 PM
  #48
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistheman View Post
Brilliant. Lets have an Alternate that will miss 20+ games in Salo or one that the refs are told to watch out for. Brilliant logic.
Thanks for the compliment, I dont think the Sedins are the leader type player.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:15 PM
  #49
CrosbyCrosby*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,216
vCash: 500
Good move. Makes sense to have the top 2 centers have the As. I think when you take a stick/puck to the face and score a goal less than a minute later you're leading pretty well.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:15 PM
  #50
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
It's a walk off.


Do it Hansel!.... I mean Henrik!

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.