HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins claim Chris Bourque

Old
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
ronnyweed

vCash: 500
This cant be a bad move, any young winger with something to prove couldnt pick a better team to try and do it on. The worst he will probably be centered by on the pens is jordan staal... where as the best he would have probably got in washington was brendan morrison. (assuming he would never make the top line obviously)

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:21 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, even a 23-year-old Glen Metropolit would have been a decent waiver-wire pick-up.

Something for nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
So, how many of your 17 posts have been shots at the Pens/fans? Nobody expects him to be Ovechkin. He's a solid pickup, especially for not having to trade any assets to get him. If nothing else, he's a great substitute for Godard when we don't need an enforcer in the lineup.
Honestly, I haven't intended for my posts to be shots at the Penguins or Pens fans. This was a prudent move by Shero, as it offers a potential fix for a Pittsburgh hole (winger depth) without any risk at all.

Mostly I'm pointing out that this not a major (or even minor) setback for the Capitals. They are loaded with forwards, so losing one (even one with the last name of Bourque) isn't the end of the world, which many Caps fans and blogs are making it out to be. While McPhee obviously didn't want this to happen, this ends up being a non-issue for Washington.

I still maintain that this wouldn't be getting nearly as much coverage or reaction from either camp if his name was Chris Smith.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Honestly, I haven't intended for my posts to be shots at the Penguins or Pens fans. This was a prudent move by Shero, as it offers a potential fix for a Pittsburgh hole (winger depth) without any risk at all.

Mostly I'm pointing out that this not a major (or even minor) setback for the Capitals. They are loaded with forwards, so losing one (even one with the last name of Bourque) isn't the end of the world, which many Caps fans and blogs are making it out to be. While McPhee obviously didn't want this to happen, this ends up being a non-issue for Washington.

I still maintain that this wouldn't be getting nearly as much coverage or reaction from either camp if his name was Chris Smith.
And I still maintain that you, sir, are a dorkus malorekus.

Honestly, I don't think anyone cares that he is a Bourque. He is a former hot prospect. Now whether or not that was in part because of some supposed pedigree because of his HOF father, that could be, but he is a talented young prospect to a degree that it's usually unheard of for a team to waive such a player unless there are attitude problems.

As a Pens fan, I hope that it will turn out for him and the Penguins. And you're right, if Bourque wasn't in the Capitals' plans then it's not going to hurt them anyway by dropping him.

P.S. I think what's annoying some Penguins and Capitals fans about your posts is the apparent "pour of water on" any marginal excitement brought from this signing and the excessive downplay of the Chris Bourque's skills and what he could still have been for the Washington Capitals.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
And I still maintain that you, sir, are a dorkus malorekus.
Touché

Best argument I've ever heard

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:26 PM
El Maestro

Claimed by the Pens...........

OMG I hate the Caps players management.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post

I agree with this. Not sure about the Bourque/Smith argument, but I understand the point.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He's really not very good. Playing with 71 or 87, I guess he could put up some points. But almost anyone could with them.
Hes really not been given a long enough look at the NHL level for us to know that yet or not.

Solid move by the Pens, who I assume were the last team given a chance to claim him. First they win the Cup, then they steal Simon Depres and now potentially this could be very rewarding move as well.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He's really not very good. Playing with 71 or 87, I guess he could put up some points. But almost anyone could with them.
he has some talent and will get his shot with the pens while talbot is out. the ahl is a pretty tough league for a young guy, especially someone as small as him, but he still managed 73 pts in 69 games. no risk, decent reward for the pens. he might amount to nothing, but washington just gave pittsburgh a free shot at a possible winger, which is their big weakness.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
Claimed by the Pens...........

OMG I hate the Caps players management.
My anger over this falls squarely on the shoulders of GMGM. How do you have your coach tell a kid he's on the team and then "woops" we have to put you on waivers. That is a low life inexcusable thing to do. GMGM should be publicly ashamed of that.

The fact that he was claimed by the pens is annoying but not the end of the world.

He was never given a an honest shot to make the team. Several other players have gotten 10 + times the chance to prove they belong with not much better production(Fehr, Flash). So to say he's proven nothing is short sighted and revisionist drivel.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:09 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i seriously cant believe he lasted that long. I thought one of the top-10 teams would have taken him.

and eklunds source, that's my line, i know you saw me use it yesterday.

09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Fearless12

Bourque is a solid hockey player and I am sad to see him go as a Caps fan (especially to the pens :p). Personally I would rather give a Bourque a roster slot rather than Fehr. He should be a good player for the pens, and being centered by 1 of 3 great centers cant hurt. Good luck in Pittsburgh Bourque!

Fearless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:31 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless12 View Post
Bourque is a solid hockey player and I am sad to see him go as a Caps fan (especially to the pens :p). Personally I would rather give a Bourque a roster slot rather than Fehr. He should be a good player for the pens, and being centered by 1 of 3 great centers cant hurt. Good luck in Pittsburgh Bourque!
your entitled to your opinon but wow .

09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Fearless12

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
your entitled to your opinon but wow .
Yea thanks for letting me know that, I didn't realize it before.

Fearless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:51 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

During moments like this, I am reminded of all the people who predicted the core of this Penguins team could never be kept intact because of the cost of Crosby, Malkin & Staal.

That talk reached a fever pitch two years years ago. Then Oprik, Fluery & Malkin resigned. Then Staal resigned. Then we got Kunitz, who has three (four?) years remaining on his deal (and a highly touted winger who will be in a top-6 capacity by next season). Then we got Guerin and resigned him at a great price. Then Fedotenko opted to stay another year at a discount. Then we got Jay McKee at a bargain to replace Rob Scuderi.

And now it's Capital fans bemoaning a salary cap casualty, and it's the Pens organization that snatched away a skilled second-round draft pick that would have made thier roster if not for finances!

It just goes to show that a savvy GM can keep a great team together in the salary cap years.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Icetime

Quote:
Personally I would rather give a Bourque a roster slot rather than Fehr.
I could not agree more with this statement! The Fehr apologists on the Caps HFboard are strong in numbers and they freak out any time Fehr is taken to task.

Who knows if Bourque will produce at the NHL level, but Eric Fehr has produced nothing in terms of development except a wide range of excuses for his supporters.

Fehr has shown that he is ridiculously injury prone which is astonishing because he plays so very very soft for a player with his frame. He has failed to do much of anything really except show that he has no grit and that his AHL sniping junior skillset doesn't at all translate to the big boy game.

Give my a gritty midget winger who just might have what it takes to contribute NHL points on a somewhat consistent basis over a player like Fehr all day every day. The Caps are in need of a player like Bourque ten times more than Eric "he needs at least 300 games to get his feet wet" Fehr.

Last edited by Icetime: 09-30-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
During moments like this, I am reminded of all the people who predicted the core of this Penguins team could never be kept intact because of the cost of Crosby, Malkin & Staal.

That talk reached a fever pitch two years years ago. Then Oprik, Fluery & Malkin resigned. Then Staal resigned. Then we got Kunitz, who has three (four?) years remaining on his deal (and a highly touted winger who will be in a top-6 capacity by next season). Then we got Guerin and resigned him at a great price. Then Fedotenko opted to stay another year at a discount. Then we got Jay McKee at a bargain to replace Rob Scuderi.

And now it's Capital fans bemoaning a salary cap casualty, and it's the Pens organization that snatched away a skilled second-round draft pick that would have made thier roster if not for finances!

It just goes to show that a savvy GM can keep a great team together in the salary cap years.
I usually don't do this but Boom.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:39 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
I'm marginally disappointed with this move (more for the direction it implies they're taking), but I'm going to have to disagree.

Fehr has shown to actually be effective when healthy. Bourque looks out of place.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:42 AM
EroCaps

Quote:

Chris Bourque is a 4th liner. He's not expected to be a significant contributor. Caps fans are just a bit confused by the choice of Sloan and Laing.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Chris Bourque is a 4th liner. He's not expected to be a significant contributor. Caps fans are just a bit confused by the choice of Sloan and Laing.
He was, however, told that he was going to make the team.

I'll take a 23 year old who scored well at the AHL level and is versatile enough to get on an NHL roster in a bottom 6 capacity any day. By most accounts, he's skilled enough to play a complementary 2nd or 3rd line role at some point too. He'll likely get that opportunity here in Kennedy's old spot beside Staal.

Keep in mind that up to yesterday, Chris Conner was looking like the leading candidate for that role on the Pens, so we're looking at a decent upgrade regardless.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
I could not agree more with this statement! The Fehr apologists on the Caps HFboard are strong in numbers and they freak out any time Fehr is taken to task.

Who knows if Bourque will produce at the NHL level, but Eric Fehr has produced nothing in terms of development except a wide range of excuses for his supporters.

Fehr has shown that he is ridiculously injury prone which is astonishing because he plays so very very soft for a player with his frame. He has failed to do much of anything really except show that he has no grit and that his AHL sniping junior skillset doesn't at all translate to the big boy game.

Give my a gritty midget winger who just might have what it takes to contribute NHL points on a somewhat consistent basis over a player like Fehr all day every day. The Caps are in need of a player like Bourque ten times more than Eric "he needs at least 300 games to get his feet wet" Fehr.
Fehr was already 3rd on the Caps last year in goals per minute on the ice last year, behind only Ovy and Semin. What do you expect from him? The only way he's going to put up higher numbers is more ice time.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:12 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
He was, however, told that he was going to make the team.

I'll take a 23 year old who scored well at the AHL level and is versatile enough to get on an NHL roster in a bottom 6 capacity any day. By most accounts, he's skilled enough to play a complementary 2nd or 3rd line role at some point too. He'll likely get that opportunity here in Kennedy's old spot beside Staal.

Keep in mind that up to yesterday, Chris Conner was looking like the leading candidate for that role on the Pens, so we're looking at a decent upgrade regardless.
How much of an upgrade is Bourque over Conner? They seem like very similar players from what I've heard about each.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Can't believe he was there for the Pens. I'm sure some rebuilding teams would have liked to take a flier on him. I guess Bettman heard the Pens were interested and blocked those other teams from making a claim.

Seriously, he might suck, he might not, we'll see. Obviously, Caps fans are going to downplay the hell out of this one and Pens fans are probably getting too excited. The reality of what he is, is probably something in between. Well worth it to take a flier on him though since he has some pedigree and it didn't cost any of the Pens assets to get him.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
How much of an upgrade is Bourque over Conner? They seem like very similar players from what I've heard about each.
He's apparently more solid on his skates, grittier, and a smarter and more effective player in every zone.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:34 PM
MoonDragn

Quote:
If they resigned why are they still on the team? Don't you mean re-signed?

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
If they resigned why are they still on the team? Don't you mean re-signed?
uh oh its the grammar police.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote