HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks fans shouldn't be too optimistic about Shirokov (happy now?)

Old
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
rhet0ric

vCash: 500
Gallagher takes an interesting, Jekyll/Hyde approach to his job.

In print, in The Province, he tends to write controversial, dubious or even inflammatory articles.

But when you hear him on the radio, on Team 1040, he's completely reasonable and often very insightful.

(Bashing the CFL on the radio was unusual, but definitely fit with his controversial approach).

I'm sure it's deliberate. Maybe he feels that newspaper articles all tend to be the same and say the obvious, so he might as well write something different. Or maybe he's just trying to sell more newspapers. Controversy sells.

I respect his approach. I think he's a very smart guy and knows his hockey.

rhet0ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Thanks tips.

Tips McButthurt- so catchy, yet so applicable to Tony Gallagher. I would die a happy man if somehow, just somehow that nickname caught on for ol' Tony G.

Like others have said, it's the insinuations that the players aren't happy with the coaching staff that could be seen as a little presumptuous. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Gallagher dislike Alain Vigneault? If he does, he sure doesn't hide it very well.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhet0ric View Post
Gallagher takes an interesting, Jekyll/Hyde approach to his job.

In print, in The Province, he tends to write controversial, dubious or even inflammatory articles.

But when you hear him on the radio, on Team 1040, he's completely reasonable and often very insightful.

(Bashing the CFL on the radio was unusual, but definitely fit with his controversial approach).

I'm sure it's deliberate. Maybe he feels that newspaper articles all tend to be the same and say the obvious, so he might as well write something different. Or maybe he's just trying to sell more newspapers. Controversy sells.

I respect his approach. I think he's a very smart guy and knows his hockey.

I don't know if he's just looking to generate controversy... it's almost like he has some disdain for sports journalism as it is and parodies it as much as he can. I can see him having a little laugh as he writes up his pieces. You can bet he was rolling his eyes at some of the headlines that the Province has been pushing, and this is where it originated from.

He'll always have a job, not because he generates controversy, but because he's a good writer and knows his stuff.

Either way, the piece was an entertaining read, didn't really criticize anyone, and had some pretty funny quotes. I think some people should remember that this is a game, and everything doesn't need to be taken so freakin' seriously.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Inside McKenzie

look, tony gallagher is a nerd, a *********, an idiot, etc. That being said, he is right here. Shirokov has had a good pre season, but canuck fans always expect way too much of guys such as him. Maybe he will have a good year, I hope so, but he will likely be up and down.

How many of you were saying Hodgson was the key to this season,predicting 20 goals etc. It's fine to be optomistic, but don't trash anybody who has alternate views from your rose coloured glasses, just for the sake of it.

Inside McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote