HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johan Ryno leaves GR; Returns to Sweden

Old
09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Kiddington
heehats

vCash: 500
Johan Ryno leaves GR; Returns to Sweden

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but I didn't see a thread about it, so I'm not sure if you've all found out yet.

Here's the link:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009..._ryno_red.html

Quote:
After appearing in five preseason games with the Red Wings, forward Johan Ryno has opted to play in Sweden once again. The 23-year-old right wing also played 12 games for the Griffins at the start of the 2007-08 season before returning to his homeland. [Griffins GM Bob] McNamara said he was disappointed Ryno won't skate for Grand Rapids.

"I felt like he was a guy that could help us. If we wants to play in the NHL, at some point, he's going to have to make the decision to stay in North America," McNamara said. "At the same time, he's got to want to do it, and you can't force something on somebody because that usually doesn't work out."

The Macomb Daily's Bruce MacLeod reports that Ryno's returned to AIK....

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
yeah, I saw that earlier, too. Not surprising, considering some comments Ryno made earlier, but still disappointing. He may have been a bit of a long shot at this point but his size and skill still had me hoping. Good luck to him in Sweden.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
zecke26

already playing for AIK today. he's on their 1st line and AIK is damn strong this season and could get promoted to elitserien. so i guess that is a good situation for him.
the good news is that ryno's spot with the griffins will be taken by tatar.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:16 PM
doublejack

Ryno's decision to return to Sweden (again) probably ended any chance of him playing in the NHL. Even if he has a great season, I'm skeptical that the Wings will tender him a qualifying offer.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
DarkReign

We shall see if this was the best decision for his career hopes in the NHL. I doubt it affects him too much if he progresses playing in Sweden.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:42 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
We shall see if this was the best decision for his career hopes in the NHL. I doubt it affects him too much if he progresses playing in Sweden.
I really don't agree with this. Detroit is probably done with him after this decision, and he's getting to an age where he's running out of time to show progress. Choosing to not play in the AHL this season is a likely fatal blow to any future in the NHL.

Old
09-30-2009, 02:49 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I really don't agree with this. Detroit is probably done with him after this decision, and he's getting to an age where he's running out of time to show progress. Choosing to not play in the AHL this season is a likely fatal blow to any future in the NHL.
detroit might be done with him. but the NHL is still possible. he just ruined his short-term chances. it's still possible to develop in sweden. 1st line minutes this year in 2nd-tier, maybe next season elitserien and so on. in 2-3 years he could be ready to make another try. it just won't be with the wings.
and judging by his interviews, he might lack the ultimate will to play NHL anyway.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
detroit might be done with him. but the NHL is still possible. he just ruined his short-term chances. it's still possible to develop in sweden. 1st line minutes this year in 2nd-tier, maybe next season elitserien and so on. in 2-3 years he could be ready to make another try. it just won't be with the wings.
Time is against Ryno now. He's 23 already. In 2-3 years he'll be 25 or 26. I can't think of a forward who had virtually no experience playing hockey in North America suddenly becoming an NHL player that late. In fact, that's generally the age range where players give up on their NHL dreams after three or four seasons toiling in the AHL and accept offers to play in Europe.

The age that the late bloomers come to the NHL by is more like 24, or perhaps 25 at worst. The Leino / Brunnstrom / Datsyuk type players. Ryno's window is closing. He's getting close to being a finished product, and he's not close to an NHL player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
and judging by his interviews, he might lack the ultimate will to play NHL anyway.
This is the biggest red flag of all. Ryno now has to not only prove he's capable, but he's got to prove he's willing to stick it out. Choosing to return to Sweden three years running does not look good. At all.

That's why I'm standing firm that this marks the end of any chance he'll play in the NHL. It's over. He obviously didn't want it enough to give playing in the AHL for a full season a chance. Leino did it. Tatar is staying, even though he might end up in juniors. Actions speak louder than words.

Ryno is another bust like Grigorenko. They're busts for different reasons, but that's besides the point. It's time to write him off.

Old
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Gozer

Quote:
Time is against Ryno now. He's 23 already. In 2-3 years he'll be 25 or 26. I can't think of a forward who had virtually no experience playing hockey in North America suddenly becoming an NHL player that late. In fact, that's generally the age range where players give up on their NHL dreams after three or four seasons toiling in the AHL and accept offers to play in Europe.
Franzen? Wasn't he like 25 when he came over?

Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:22 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
Franzen? Wasn't he like 25 when he came over?
Yeah, but he wasn't drafted until he was 24. Its not that he was noticed, and really failed to develop - he was just a late bloomer (at all levels).

Ryno was noticed early, obviously. Hes had the skill, but he needs to put in the effort to further his own development. He hasn't, and its clear. The skill wasn't visible anywhere on NHL ice this year.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
sarcastro

This is clearly a guy that wants the brass ring to be handed to him and won't put in the time that successful players put in to work their way up.

Buh bye.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Octopus

I suspect the Wings covet him somewhat because of his size...a big guy with skill is hard to come by but what has this guy shown at any level in the past few years? I'd say the Wings will wait and see what comes of his season but I'd say he's done. I was hoping for more but we'll just have to see if we get it from Axelsson and Amdersson...I'm looking forward to seeing them both in a Grifs uniform this season...

Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:14 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Why?
Ryno is 23.
Where was Franzen at 23?
How about Ville Leino?
Where was Rafalski at 23?

Obviously, I don't view this as a good development for Ryno. But there is no reasonable reason to believe that not playing in the AHL "fatal blow for any future in the NHL."

Now, if you want to look at the way the skills and say that, that would be another story.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 06:51 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Why?
Ryno is 23.
Where was Franzen at 23?
How about Ville Leino?

Obviously, I don't view this as a good development for Ryno. But there is no reasonable reason to believe that not playing in the AHL "fatal blow for any future in the NHL."

Now, if you want to look at the way the skills and say that, that would be another story.
Context. Based on Ryno's attitude and history, deciding not to play in the AHL may very easily be a fatal blow for any future in the NHL. For him. And I believe that is the case. He's done.

Last edited by jaster: 10-01-2009 at 06:56 AM.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Malurous

Quote:
Why?
Ryno is 23.
Where was Franzen at 23?
Nowhere much (his breakout as an offensive player in the SEL was the next year), but at least he was a solid grinder with offensive limitations in the SEL and not playing second tier and getting outscored by multiple undrafted players who are younger than him. In fact, Franzen scored way better in that league in the year when he turned 21 late in the season.
Quote:
How about Ville Leino?
Close to dominant number one forward on a very good Finnish Elite League team, second truly dominant playoff in a row - at 22 he was easily the best skater while leading his team to the championship.
Quote:
Close to dominant number one d-man on a very good FEL team. His championship while being the best d-man of the playoff run wouldn't come until the next season though.

So anyway, every one of them had shown more at that age. In Leino's and Rafalski's case, way more, even though not enough to catch the NHL's eye yet as undrafted guys.

Malurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Why?
Ryno is 23.
Where was Franzen at 23?
How about Ville Leino?

also in support of this, Pyolara at age 28 says hi from PHI

the NHL will always give a big guy like Ryno a look given his skills. though his days in DET could very well be done.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
He was horrendous in preseason. Just horrible. I am sorry, i dont like bashing a red wing prospect but he was just soooo bad it made me sick. Lebda has more of a physical edge then Ryno does. Maybe Detroit should talk him into converting to defense because offensively he's brutal.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post

the NHL will always give a big guy like Ryno a look given his skills. though his days in DET could very well be done.
What skills? His puck-handling is below average during preseason. His physical play was below average for someone HIS SIZE!, his skating was the only thing on him that wasnt horrendous but its not something to brag about either.

He needs to go back to Sweden and really turn it up a notch if he wants a shot at this league. In terms of our prospects and NHL ready, he's probably not even in the top 5-6 among forwards.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Oh, you meant Detroit? Sure, he's probably done here, that almost seems a given.

But his chances at the NHL are no worse for wear (yet).

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
sarcastro

He's not going back to Sweden to play first line minutes on a SEL team. He's going to play undetermined minutes on a 2nd tier team. Isn't the 2nd tier mostly full of teenagers and never-will-bes?

He's not NHL material. Maybe he knows that and is afraid of being exposed. He can probably squeeze more money out of his Swedish team if he's a prospect and not an overaged free agent.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:54 PM
ashenhigh

The preseason games I saw, Ryno was just awful. Huge mofo, who just didnt use his body like he should. The guy is a monster on skates. He needs to act like one out there.

Ryno had that one chance to put a goal in that wide open net on that 2 man breakaway vs the leafs, but he practically pushed the puck right into Gustavsson's pads. That sealed my thoughts on him. How do you not lift the puck.... I mean dude... come on....

Glad he is going back.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Why?
Ryno is 23.
Where was Franzen at 23?
How about Ville Leino?

I think the big difference in our opinions here is that I believe it is one thing to never have been and then come out of nowhere with no expectations, and another thing entirely to be noticed, get drafted, and then fail. Franzen, Leino and Rafalski are all classic late bloomers. They weren't drafted as youngsters, only to flounder for years. Of the three only Franzen was ever drafted and that didn't happen until he was already an NHL quality player. Late bloomers slip under the radar because they either don't show enough upside in their youth, or they have something going against them (Rafalski's size in his case). So they plod along at their own pace, with minimal pressure on them because they aren't an NHL team's property, and unexpectedly bloom into good players. Then they get noticed and get a contract.

Draft busts are a totally different beast. They show huge upside as young as 16 or 17 years old, get drafted young, and then fail to deliver. Sometimes, like Grigorenko, there are off-ice reasons why they don't turn out. Other times they just don't progress as they were projected to. Evan McGrath is a classic bust IMO. He's a high pick / skilled forward type that just hasn't done it at the AHL level. I don't think he'll ever be an NHL regular, but at least he's attempting to make it. Perhaps after this season or the next, he'll give up on the NHL and take a more lucrative offer to play in Europe.

I'm calling it on Ryno just like I did on Grigorenko and Liv. Ryno is not even close to an NHL player right now, is not willing to put in the effort (a season+ in Grand Rapids) and therefore has no future in the NHL. He's done. He may not even make it to become a solid top tier player in the SEL.

Also, let's not forget that Ryno is not some late round pick that the Wings took as a longshot. He's no 6th or 7th rounder like Zetterberg or Datsyuk were, the type of player that we sit on for years and allow to come along slowly. He was a third round pick. Detroit obviously had some pretty high expectations for him. Where he's at right now, at age 23, and with the effort & attitude he has, I'm nearly 100% positive that we've seen the last of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post

Ryno's size was probably a large contributing factor (no pun intended) in the initial look he got at the NHL through Detroit. However, the way he has handled himself and his poor showing in consecutive training camps easily negates his size. In order to get another look, Ryno is going to have to progress lightyears beyond where he's at today.

Pyolara was a solid defensive / effort player before he showed some skill. His two-way play is why he's getting a look and made Philly's roster. This is also a classic case of a late bloomer, which Ryno doesn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Oh, you meant Detroit? Sure, he's probably done here, that almost seems a given.

But his chances at the NHL are no worse for wear (yet).
I think more the opposite. Ryno's best chance at the NHL is still via Detroit. We signed him to a contract, didn't we? We invited him to training camp three years running, right? We have the option of making him a qualifying offer to retain his rights, even though I doubt we'll do it.

I believe that the decision to return to Sweden again was a major blow to his chances with Detroit, but an even bigger blow to his chances of ever play in the NHL. If you want to make the big dance and someone picks you to dance with them, it's in your best interest to take the offer and start dancing. Ryno turning a cold shoulder is akin to shooting himself in the skate.

Old
10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
He's not going back to Sweden to play first line minutes on a SEL team. He's going to play undetermined minutes on a 2nd tier team. Isn't the 2nd tier mostly full of teenagers and never-will-bes?

He's not NHL material. Maybe he knows that and is afraid of being exposed. He can probably squeeze more money out of his Swedish team if he's a prospect and not an overaged free agent.
This is what makes his decision so glaring as something that is killer to any aspirations to play in NA. It'd be different (a little) if he was centering a first line on a top team in the SEL. There's just nothing for Ryno to gain centering a 2nd tier team in Sweden.

Quote:
I think more the opposite. Ryno's best chance at the NHL is still via Detroit. We signed him to a contract, didn't we? We invited him to training camp three years running, right? We have the option of making him a qualifying offer to retain his rights, even though I doubt we'll do it.

I believe that the decision to return to Sweden again was a major blow to his chances with Detroit, but an even bigger blow to his chances of ever play in the NHL. If you want to make the big dance and someone picks you to dance with them, it's in your best interest to take the offer and start dancing. Ryno turning a cold shoulder is akin to shooting himself in the skate.
I'm with you on this. Detroit will remain an option (I believe Hakan has went on record that even Lofberg, if he can turn his career around, would have interest from Detroit) but it's like Ryno is actively trying to kill his chances to play in NA. Maybe it's just not a big deal to him but he's seriously short changing himself with his attitude/play/decisions. He doesn't even seem to be making himself into a good SEL player...

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Booyah!

I have no idea why the Wings brass gets intrigued by guys who have size but fail to use it. The guy was less physical than Jiri Hudler, he was scared of contact, he lacked that killer instinct, there was no way he was ever going to do anything in the AHL, much less the NHL. I'd rather they start drafting more character guys who's talent may develop later or with some nurturing than to keep drafting guys with all size and no heart.

Booyah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Context. Based on Ryno's attitude and history, deciding not to play in the AHL may very easily be a fatal blow for any future in the NHL. For him. And I believe that is the case. He's done.
That's absurd.
People can mature a lot between the ages of 23 and 28.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote