HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ilya Zubov wants out of Ottawa as well?

Old
09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkyDishwashr View Post
With him we would have 3 good scoring lines, putting kelly on the 4th line where he belongs
We do, and not because of Zubov

Milan Michalek - Jason Spezza - Daniel Alfredsson
Jonathon Cheechoo - Ryan Shannon - Alexei Kovalev
Nick Foligno - Peter Regin - Mike Fisher

Bolded players are locks for the top 3 lines coming into training camp. With Regin's pre-season dominance and great all-around play where does Zubov fit in? He doesn't, he's too bad defensively and soft to play on the 4th line. The only place he could fit is on the top 2 lines, which he's not good enough to play on.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
I've seen plenty of proposials suggesting kelly will be on line 3 but i will be thrilled if he is on the 4th line
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil the most expensive 4th line in the NHL. And I would bet most people say Kelly could be rather than that he is.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
We do, and not because of Zubov

Milan Michalek - Jason Spezza - Daniel Alfredsson
Jonathon Cheechoo - Ryan Shannon - Alexei Kovalev
Nick Foligno - Peter Regin - Mike Fisher

Bolded players are locks for the top 3 lines coming into training camp. With Regin's pre-season dominance and great all-around play where does Zubov fit in? He doesn't, he's too bad defensively and soft to play on the 4th line. The only place he could fit is on the top 2 lines, which he's not good enough to play on.
I don't want to think negatively but I'm unsure if Shannon will stick in the number #2 role. I really do hope so but I'm a little nervous about it to say the least.

Highbrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
I don't want to think negatively but I'm unsure if Shannon will stick in the number #2 role. I really do hope so but I'm a little nervous about it to say the least.
I have faith that one of Shannon/Regin can do it. They're both pretty good 3rd line centers and that roster is designed to make the 2nd/3rd lines about equal in terms of production and icetime. 3 lines that can score.

Old
09-30-2009, 06:54 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I think Zubov deserves a chance to try it out somewhere else.

He knew very little English but still paid his dues in Binghamton.
Agreed with the above.

However, I thought he was the one who knew english (at least some) and was helping to mentor Nikulin along in the culture.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 06:56 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
I don't blame Zubov at all. I dont think he was given a fair shot at making the team.

If he were born in Kanata and not Russia he would be on the opening night roster
I am really getting sick of this kanata is ottawa.There not the kanata senators there the ottawa senators.As for the remark if he was born in kanata he would be on the roster that is not true at all.Look at the roster there is 2 out of 3 so called rookies are european yes there not russian but the fact is there not canadian.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:01 PM
source

First Heatley, now Zubov... who's next? Josh Hennessy?

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
In place of... ?
He'd at least be 13th forward in Donovan's place since he would have the "Ottawa connection" Murray is so turned on about.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
First Heatley, now Zubov... who's next? Josh Hennessy?
I wish it had been Hennessy!

Highbrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
He'd at least be 13th forward in Donovan's place since he would have the "Ottawa connection" Murray is so turned on about.
Zubov would be a terrible 4th liner. Lacks the ability to play defense and is soft as warm butter. His talent would be wasted on the 4th line and I doubt he'd be happy about playing there either.

Ottawa connection? Give me a break

If this is about him being cut before Zach Smith it's because Smith is a much better fit in the bottom 6. He's tough, strong, defensively aware, physical, big and doesn't have attitude problems.

Old
09-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
What'd I do?

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Kaigorodov...
Nikulin...

Zubov?

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Zubov would be a terrible 4th liner. Lacks the ability to play defense and is soft as warm butter. His talent would be wasted on the 4th line and I doubt he'd be happy about playing there either.

Ottawa connection? Give me a break

If this is about him being cut before Zach Smith it's because Smith is a much better fit in the bottom 6. He's tough, strong, defensively aware, physical, big and doesn't have attitude problems.
First of all I was being partially facetious about the Ottawa thing, I say partially because Murray has shown a clear tendency to picking up players with Ottawa connections.

Second, skilled players can play in your bottom six. See Alfredsson (not for long), Bonk, Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Vermette, the Detroit Red Wings organisation etc... it's a good way to delay development of your players. As i've said many times before expecting a skill player to "develop" in the AHL until he had the skill to play in an NHL top 6 is a sure way to keep skilled players in the minors. Players who can make the jump directly into NHL top 6's are few and far between.

Third, while Zack Smith does have those abilities, and while his on ice performance did not warrant the extended look he was given, my response had nothing to do with him.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:40 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Lee has value like it or not, not even close to the same package sorry. Nice try though.
Franson has value too - he out-produced Lee in the AHL significantly at the same age, and if not for Ottawa's horrid defensive depth and Nashville's strong defensive depth he would have seen NHL time too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post

One trade is overpayment for Hamhius. One's a pile of trash for Michalek.

Guess which one is which.
Overpayment? It's a load of ****, none of which Nashville wants. A significantly overpaid player (they have an internal cap), a soft Russian who has suggested the KHL is an option for him (Radulov ring a bell?), a late 2nd, and a good prospect. That's what was offered. That's not overpayment - it has absolutely zero consideration of Nashville's needs.

Nashville could get a far better offer for Hamhuis at the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
You took worse players and asked for a better one.

Could Blum (Lee), Joel Ward (Kelly), Zach Budish (Zubov) and a 2nd rounder get Volchenkov. Pretty damn close.
Franson has value very close to Lee's. Blum is better than both of them.

Nobody wants Kelly for 4 years at over $2mil a year. Ward for 3 years at $1.5mil is very good value - considering he put up 35 points, in his first year, on an offensively inept Nashville team (207 goals). Kelly's best year was 38 points on an Ottawa team that scored 286 goals.

Budish is an early 2nd round pick, Zubov an early 4th. Zubov, in this thread, has been called bad defensively, soft, liable to bolt to the KHL, and if he can't displace Ryan Shannon or Peter Regin, then sorry, he doesn't have much value. Not nearly as much as Budish, at least.

Your comparison is equally if not more flawed than mine - and all mine was trying to do is suggest that gee, maybe people should consider the other team's needs.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Mr Shanahan

Zubov for S.Kost? E2..

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Could Brian Lee, Ilya Zubov, Chris Kelly and san jose's 2nd rounder get a sniff at Dan Hamhuis?
I would surmise a guess that Dan Hamhuis is unavailable barring the most overwhelming of returns. A checking forward, a good defense prospect, a mediocre forward prospect and a draft pick aren't going to get Hamhuis away from a team that's starved for defensive depth the way Nashville is.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:10 PM
hplovecraft

Where do these border line 4th line players (and in most cases not even that) get off requesting trades? This guy ain't no Heatley.

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:30 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
Yeah, ok that I give you.

But I don't see any of the other forwards he could have realistically bumped considering roles and contracts.

It's not like somebody useless is taking his spot (said Brian Lee).

Quote:
Just because he's asking for a shot elsewhere doesn't mean he has attitude problems. It seems like these days it's not hard to get that branding.

DG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:34 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Nashville's strong defensive depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
a team that's starved for defensive depth the way Nashville is.
So which is it fellas?

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:54 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
He didn't ask for a trade, but the Sens have indicated they'll try to move him.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/colu.../11217601.html
Quote:
Rolly Hedges, the agent for Senators prospect C Ilya Zubov, said yesterday his client hasn’t asked for a trade. But Hedges said the organization gave Zubov, a fourth- round pick in 2005, an indication that he would be dealt when he was sent to the club’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton only three days into camp. “His intention is to be with the Senators. If he’s not in the plans of the Senators, he would accept a trade,” said Hedges. The belief is the Senators are trying to package Zubov with D Alex Picard in a deal, but haven’t found any takers.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Franson has value too - he out-produced Lee in the AHL significantly at the same age, and if not for Ottawa's horrid defensive depth and Nashville's strong defensive depth he would have seen NHL time too.

Overpayment? It's a load of ****, none of which Nashville wants. A significantly overpaid player (they have an internal cap), a soft Russian who has suggested the KHL is an option for him (Radulov ring a bell?), a late 2nd, and a good prospect. That's what was offered. That's not overpayment - it has absolutely zero consideration of Nashville's needs.

Nashville could get a far better offer for Hamhuis at the deadline.
Did I miss when Hamhius became a superstar overnight?

He's a below average #2/above average #3 who's a UFA at the end of the year and will probably get 4-4.5 million from some defensively starved team. Lee's got higher upside than Hamhius in the long run and is cost controlled for a long time, Zubov won't go anywhere if he's given a chance to play in the NHL and has 60 point upside as a top 6 center/winger, would probably already be the fastest skater on the Predators. Kelly is overpaid but at 1.5 he'd be a solid value.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
What would the Sens want from Dallas in exchange for Zubov?

Out with one Zubov, in with another!

09-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
What would the Sens want from Dallas in exchange for Zubov?

Out with one Zubov, in with another!
I think a 3rd round pick would get it done.

Old
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
randyc

Krajicek Anyone?

Lukas Krajicek straight up for Zubov.

randyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
Lukas Krajicek straight up for Zubov.
Senators have too many roster players, especially on defence.