HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

1-on-1 with Mike Richards (Interview)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2010, 02:45 PM
  #1
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
1-on-1 with Mike Richards (Interview)

http://tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=341918


Quote:
JD: Is there a code for how rookies should behave?

MR: I went through the same thing. I remember my first year we were playing against New Jersey and I was running around and lipping off to Patrick Elias. Elias came to me and Sergei Brylin too, and they said, “If you continue to show disrespect for players, you are going to get hurt.” That really hit home. I didn't want to be known as that guy who shows disrespect. I want to be a guy who plays hard in between the whistles but not cross the line. That was six years ago, but it hit home. When you hear it from a guy like Patrick Elias, who has a done a lot in this league and is well respected, you remember.
Short, but interesting read. He gives some thoughts on Booth hit, Subban, Stamkos, Dubinsky etc Figured some of you would enjoy the read

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
  #2
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
I love this part:

Quote:
JD: Is Peter Laviolette a better coach or NHL on TSN panelist?

MR: I don't know, he was pretty good on TSN, but he's a great coach, so I'll go with that. He's a great speaker in the dressing room and on TV.

JD: Give me his best speech.

MR: Last year, before morning skate in Boston before Game 7, he gave us a speech about overcoming everything throughout the year and getting to where we were. It was incredible. Literally, we all wanted to play right then and there at 9 in the morning.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
  #3
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Good find. Richie is the man. I like when he speaks candidly.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
  #4
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Solid. I <3 Richards.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:23 PM
  #5
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
my nga

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:24 PM
  #6
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,642
vCash: 156
Enjoyable.

That Booth hit really did affect him though. I still remember he risked blowing his knee to smithereens while trying to avoid doing the same thing to Weiss.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:58 PM
  #7
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I hate when people spell our city "Phili".

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:30 PM
  #8
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
I just read it and came here to post it, but of course someone already took that job from me. Great interview. Duthie asks some decent questions (the Dubinsky thing being talked about surprised me) and Richie has some good answers for them.

I guess we have another moment for the "Fly on the Wall" thread.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:31 PM
  #9
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 500
Duthie always spells it Phili for some reason!

Nice interview and I love that he said he wouldn't hit a guy like that again. He's really aware of what goes on during a game and I like that he listens to what others tell him. He seems like a really respectful person.

During the Olympics I remember a writer saying Richards crashed into a ref or linesman, got up and said "oh my God are you okay?" Not a lot of players would be that concerned for an official's well being.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:34 PM
  #10
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Richards is not wrong but he did not have to open his mouth and talk to media about it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:50 PM
  #11
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
What's important to note is that this is a transcript of a conversation, which means there is context. Unlike, for example, a Richards quote that is probably among 10 minutes of Q&A and, quite possibly, where he stated the host of platitudes that are expected of a team captain after a loss like that.

That being said, I take comments about past controversies with a grain of salt, not just from Richards, but from anyone who is a position to put themselves in a favourable light. This is exactly the right place to say the right things about the Booth hit and how he wouldn't do it again.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:00 PM
  #12
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
What's important to note is that this is a transcript of a conversation, which means there is context. Unlike, for example, a Richards quote that is probably among 10 minutes of Q&A and, quite possibly, where he stated the host of platitudes that are expected of a team captain after a loss like that.

That being said, I take comments about past controversies with a grain of salt, not just from Richards, but from anyone who is a position to put themselves in a favourable light. This is exactly the right place to say the right things about the Booth hit and how he wouldn't do it again.
You do have a point that this may have been edited well, but I've noticed that Richards is very comfortable when talking to the Canadian press, whether it's a piece on CBC, talking to McGuire between the benches, or when talking with TSN.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
  #13
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You do have a point that this may have been edited well, but I've noticed that Richards is very comfortable when talking to the Canadian press, whether it's a piece on CBC, talking to McGuire between the benches, or when talking with TSN.
Exactly, cause they're not a bunch of morons. So many of the Philly writers seem to be mailing it in and you can see in his eyes that he hates them. He's much more personable and thoughtful when he talks to the Canadian guys.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:56 PM
  #14
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,946
vCash: 955
Good article. He's been hanging around Holmgren too much, though... 'it is what it is'.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:39 PM
  #15
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Richards hates the media people here. As do I Richie, as do I.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:58 PM
  #16
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
I don't think an Olympic Gold medal makes up for losing a Stanley Cup on that shot. That comment bothered me. Winning the Cup should be what's most important. It's no big deal, but I don't think I agree with him.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:19 PM
  #17
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I don't think an Olympic Gold medal makes up for losing a Stanley Cup on that shot. That comment bothered me. Winning the Cup should be what's most important. It's no big deal, but I don't think I agree with him.
I can see how that would be on the same level for him, or at least close to it. Obviously for a Flyers fan its different because the Olympics are more of an afterthought when compared to the NHL season, and we would have been rooting for the US anyway. From a player's standpoint though, you get less chances to win a gold medal than you do a Cup, and to be an olympian and represent your country is pretty special.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
  #18
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Good article. He's been hanging around Holmgren too much, though....
It is what it is.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:13 PM
  #19
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I can see how that would be on the same level for him, or at least close to it. Obviously for a Flyers fan its different because the Olympics are more of an afterthought when compared to the NHL season, and we would have been rooting for the US anyway. From a player's standpoint though, you get less chances to win a gold medal than you do a Cup, and to be an olympian and represent your country is pretty special.
yeah but.. dare i say... it is easier for him to win the medal than a cup. just sayin'. sure, it only comes around every 4 years but seriously

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
  #20
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
yeah but.. dare i say... it is easier for him to win the medal than a cup. just sayin'. sure, it only comes around every 4 years but seriously
I agree. Consider, too, the actual physical challenge between the two. In the Olympics, they played 7 games that were intense but more style and skill than the war of attrition that is the SC playoffs.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 11:42 PM
  #21
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I agree. Consider, too, the actual physical challenge between the two. In the Olympics, they played 7 games that were intense but more style and skill than the war of attrition that is the SC playoffs.
mike is the leader of this team. in the Olympics, he was merely an afterthought.

bring us the cup, richards and you can keep your stinkin gold medal.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:32 AM
  #22
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Thanks for posting this ! I figured Ritchies words with Subban were probably taken way out of context, this interview certainly sheds more light on that whole deal. If you read the Montreal forum you would think Ritchie got with Nicky Scarfo and put a contract hit on Subban ! Too funny !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:42 AM
  #23
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Thanks for posting this ! I figured Ritchies words with Subban were probably taken way out of context, this interview certainly sheds more light on that whole deal. If you read the Montreal forum you would think Ritchie got with Nicky Scarfo and put a contract hit on Subban ! Too funny !
By now you should realize that the drama with the Montreal fans on this board had nothing to do with Richards. It was really more of, "How dare someone say something bad or hurtful to our great 21-year-old future top pairing defenseman?"

If I had heard about Richards being called out by Elias when Richards was a rookie, I would've thought nothing much of it. In fact, I would've probably thought it was good for Richards in the long run. I mean, he certainly took that criticism well, and he remains one of the fiercest competitors in hockey all while remaining very respectful of his peers.

In the end, it was Montreal fans in fear that there might be a shred of truth to what Richards said that caused them to lash out like they did. They shouldn't have been afraid of it to begin with. Subban will mature with age, but for now, he really does need to realize that hockey is bigger than him and there are players better than him and respect is something that comes from action not chirping.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 01:04 AM
  #24
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
By now you should realize that the drama with the Montreal fans on this board had nothing to do with Richards. It was really more of, "How dare someone say something bad or hurtful to our great 21-year-old future top pairing defenseman?"

If I had heard about Richards being called out by Elias when Richards was a rookie, I would've thought nothing much of it. In fact, I would've probably thought it was good for Richards in the long run. I mean, he certainly took that criticism well, and he remains one of the fiercest competitors in hockey all while remaining very respectful of his peers.

In the end, it was Montreal fans in fear that there might be a shred of truth to what Richards said that caused them to lash out like they did. They shouldn't have been afraid of it to begin with. Subban will mature with age, but for now, he really does need to realize that hockey is bigger than him and there are players better than him and respect is something that comes from action not chirping.
Well said !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 06:43 AM
  #25
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
mike is the leader of this team. in the Olympics, he was merely an afterthought.

bring us the cup, richards and you can keep your stinkin gold medal.
********, he was one of the stars of Team Canada. The top line of Iggy/Crosby/Staal wasn't very good outside of Crosby scoring the GWG and a shootout goal vs SWI. The SJ line also didn't produce much. Richie/Toews/Nash were the ones that did everything from winning faceoffs, hitting and scoring goals. Everyone up here loves what he did for Canada so you can try to diminish the Olympics all you want but it's not true. As for it being easier to win the Olympics than the Stanley Cup, it isn't easier. Canada won it in SLC and then didn't do a damned thing in Torino. They won it in Vancouver but outside of that, nothing.

If you remember his post game interviews after Chicago won, he was devastated. This interview took place months later so the pain of losing is greatly diminished. It's not like he meant "oh well, we lost but I got my gold medal".

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.