HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Semenov Will NOT be a Ranger (UPDATE: To Moscow, KHL)

Old
10-02-2009, 12:26 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Moscow is better than NY if you have money?

I finally figured out that you are definitely Russian. I have a russian uncle and hes a huge conspiracy theorist on different topics. Your topic is the KHL/NHL. Looking at your previous posts, most of which make no sense, I can definitely see your way of thinking.
I am not saying KHL will still the best NHL players. I am saying it negatively affects NHL being. Best players are a very small group. Majority of NHL are just a good players. Those they will get more and more. Low cap helps them big time.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 10-02-2009 at 01:35 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:33 PM
bmw2004

I don't think that KHL will dominate NHL even though I am from Russia. The only thing I do know that if KHL would offer a contract to Crosby or Ovechkin for 5 years 15 mil a year I have to believe they would accept the offer. Therefore it is very questionable where Kovalchuk would end up next summer if he becomes a free agent. I hope it would be Rangers.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I would've liked him here, not a big loss though. Wouldn't have played much anyway.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I equate the KHL to maggots.

Maggots eat at dead flesh, once the dead flesh is gone, so are the maggots.

In this case, there will be a never ending supply of dead flesh therefore the maggots will always be there.

Just my opinion.
Whatever you call "dead flesh" I call NHL's live body.

You must be one of those fans, who will be okay to replace NHL with AHL as long as all teams do it at once.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post

I am not saying KHL will still the best NHL players. I am saying it negatively affects NHL being. Best players are a very small group. Majority of NHL are just a good players. Those they will get more and more. Low cap helps them big time.
I would argue the opposite.

Let the KHL have all the marginal players they want. Let them have the Zherdev's (talented I admit, but there's more to hockey than talent) and their Semenov's and their over the hil Jagr's. All that really does is open the door for the more talented (physically and mentally) players to step into their shoes here in the NHL.

I will be concerned abou the KHL when a legit star player in the prime of his career leaves to go to that league because he wants to win the KHL Championship.

Not for the money

Not for the playing time.

When that star players leaves the NHL for the KHL to win the KHL Championship

wake me up when that happens.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 10-02-2009 at 01:37 PM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:40 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Whatever you call "dead flesh" I call NHL's live body.

You must be one of those fans, who will be okay to replace NHL with AHL as long as all teams do it at once.
I call Semenov dead flesh.

I call Zherdev dead flesh

Guys that the NHL either didn't want or were looking to sign for extra bodies.

I want the NHL to replace this dead flesh with players that want to be here. If they are from any country or league in the world, to me it matters little.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:41 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

I hope no one ordered a #25 SEMENOV jersey yet.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Does the MLS here in teh United States complain about the European Futbol leagues taking the world's best players?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I equate the KHL to maggots.

Maggots eat at dead flesh, once the dead flesh is gone, so are the maggots.

In this case, there will be a never ending supply of dead flesh therefore the maggots will always be there.

Just my opinion.
I wouldn't go that far. It's rare that a breakaway series immediately pulls THE top talent from the elite league it's competing against. Stealing guys like Hudler and Zherdev, players with NHL offers on the table that they turned their backs on, is a step up from the Yashin's and Emery's that they hung their hats on last year.

Unfortunately, the best case scenario for the KHL is that it waters down the NHL to a point where you have two mediocre leagues, and that's not good for either party.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
94now

Quote:
I would argue the opposite.

Let the KHL have all the marginal players they want. Let them have the Zherdev's (talented I admit, but there's more to hockey than talent) and their Semenov's and their over the hil Jagr's. All that really does is open the door for the more talented (physically and mentally) players to step into their shoes here in the NHL.

I will be concerned abou the KHL when a legit star player in the prime of his career leaves to go to that league because he wants to win the KHL Championship.

Not for the money

Not for the playing time.

When that star players leaves the NHL for the KHL to win the KHL Championship

wake me up when that happens.

First wake up call you should get this February in Vancouver. It is a matter of time before KHL trophy (or whatever they give out) will be equal to Olympic Gold.

Look, I am not suggesting to go and send troops to Russia. I am advocating for substantial cap increase as counter measure for their increased negative influence.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I wouldn't go that far. It's rare that a breakaway series immediately pulls THE top talent from the elite league it's competing against. Stealing guys like Hudler and Zherdev, players with NHL offers on the table that they turned their backs on, is a step up from the Yashin's and Emery's that they hung their hats on last year.

Unfortunately, the best case scenario for the KHL is that it waters down the NHL to a point where you have two mediocre leagues, and that's not good for either party.
My point exactly.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
First wake up call you should get this February in Vancouver. It is a matter of time before KHL trophy (or whatever they give out) will be equal to Olympic Gold.

Look, I am not suggesting to go and send troops to Russia. I am advocating for substantial cap increase as counter measure for their increased negative influence.
Wow. Just wow.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
pld459666

Quote:

Hudler and Radulov I can agree with, however, Zherdev was not stolen. If they want to paint it that way...what ever lets them sleep at night is fine by me, but the truth is that he could not get a contract out of teams in the NHL to the point that he came back to the Rangers looking for us to sign him at his QO.

And when you have to grossly overpay players to join your league, it's not saying much about your league is it?

Radulov got 20+ million over 3 years? Overpaid.

Hudler got 10 million over 2 years - Overpaid.

The NHL has not been affected by this marginal loss of talent. We are talking 2 players here. One of which I believe has been missed (Radulov) the other can only be determined after watching a half season of the wings.

Time will tell, but my gut tells me that as a whole, the NHL hasn't even noticed the loss.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:52 PM
pld459666

Quote:

You are the one snoozing now my friend.

The KHL Championship will NEVER, let me repeat myself N-E-V-E-R be on the same level to Olympic gold.

NEVER

the troops comment is assinine and there's no need for a cap increase as it's already been demonstrated that the risk posed by the KHL today is very very very minimal.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Hudler and Radulov I can agree with, however, Zherdev was not stolen. If they want to paint it that way...what ever lets them sleep at night is fine by me, but the truth is that he could not get a contract out of teams in the NHL to the point that he came back to the Rangers looking for us to sign him at his QO.

And when you have to grossly overpay players to join your league, it's not saying much about your league is it?

Radulov got 20+ million over 3 years? Overpaid.

Hudler got 10 million over 2 years - Overpaid.

The NHL has not been affected by this marginal loss of talent. We are talking 2 players here. One of which I believe has been missed (Radulov) the other can only be determined after watching a half season of the wings.

Time will tell, but my gut tells me that as a whole, the NHL hasn't even noticed the loss.
And Hudler leaving only helped the Wings with their cap. There have been rumors discussed on HNIC radio about a gentlemens agreement between the Wings and Hudler regarding a return after the KHL contract expires. I believe they still hold his NHL rights.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
The league's actions in the Hudler case tell me they've noticed.

Whether they end up feeling it or not is a different story. It might be tough to quantify until you get 5+ years into this and see how many young Eastern European players are making themselves eligible for the NHL draft should the KHL remain viable.

If I'm running the KHL, the goal isn't to get as many Zherdev's in the league as I can. It's to stop the next Ovechkin from ever considering an NHL career in the first place.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:02 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
And Hudler leaving only helped the Wings with their cap. There have been rumors discussed on HNIC radio about a gentlemens agreement between the Wings and Hudler regarding a return after the KHL contract expires. I believe they still hold his NHL rights.
The Wings GM already mentioned that.

Hudler is still going to be a young guy when he gets back.

Listen, at the end of the day I don't have a problem with players looking to hit a financial home-run. I had no problem with Zherdev looking to get paid, nor did I have a problem with Hudler getting his deal. I do have a problem with players like Radulov not honoring a contract he agreed to.

But for 94now to insinuate that the NHL is in some position of weakness when nothing significant has transpired to support his claim is outrageous.

Does he really think that we need to raise the cap to retain players like Zherdev? I like Z and think that he could be a real good player if he ever took his head out of his own arse. But since it looked like that was never going to happen, and 29 other teams passed on the opportunity to sign him to his bloated salary demands, then losing that player to the KHL actually HELPS the NHL. It doesn't hurt the league.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:08 PM
pld459666

Quote:

Whether they end up feeling it or not is a different story. It might be tough to quantify until you get 5+ years into this and see how many young Eastern European players are making themselves eligible for the NHL draft should the KHL remain viable.

If I'm running the KHL, the goal isn't to get as many Zherdev's in the league as I can. It's to stop the next Ovechkin from ever considering an NHL career in the first place.
The league was reacting to a situation where they believed the KHL was poaching a player they felt under the current CBA, was contractually obligated to the Wings.

If they are taking the position they are taking regarding Poaching, the NHL has to react that way.

It's amazing how quickly that story vanished when it came out that Hudler never actutally signed the arbitration papers that were filed on his behalf.

It's amazing that the league stopped their protestations once the decision came down that Hudler was actually free to negotiate that contract with the KHL. Had Hudlers signature been on that document, he may have still went ther to play, but the Wings and the NHL would still be fighting the"good fight"

Old
10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:

great point.

The real threat from the KHL isn't now. It's a few years from now, after it's already established itself and punched a signficant hole in the thought that the NHL is the only supreme league in the world. You get enough talent in the KHL, and all of the sudden, the Malkin's and Ovechkin's of the future start to think that maybe they don't need to leave home to make money and play in a competitive league.

The real question is, can the KHL make the economics work? Can they compete with NHL salaries, without an NHL infrastructure?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:12 PM
94now

Quote:
The Wings GM already mentioned that.

Hudler is still going to be a young guy when he gets back.

Listen, at the end of the day I don't have a problem with players looking to hit a financial home-run. I had no problem with Zherdev looking to get paid, nor did I have a problem with Hudler getting his deal. I do have a problem with players like Radulov not honoring a contract he agreed to.

But for 94now to insinuate that the NHL is in some position of weakness when nothing significant has transpired to support his claim is outrageous.

Does he really think that we need to raise the cap to retain players like Zherdev? I like Z and think that he could be a real good player if he ever took his head out of his own arse. But since it looked like that was never going to happen, and 29 other teams passed on the opportunity to sign him to his bloated salary demands, then losing that player to the KHL actually HELPS the NHL. It doesn't hurt the league.
If cap was higher KHL wouldn't be a factor. NHL sheds, by your own admission, its players to maintain tight cap requirements. Players got an ally in KHL in their perpetual wrestling with owners. League should press the owners share the cost. Cap will go up, but only after enough damage will be dome, IMO. No one would do it because of Semenov or Zherdev, but those are the load on the camel's back.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

GREAT News, ****in hate Semenov, hes garbage.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
If cap was higher KHL wouldn't be a factor. NHL sheds, by your own admission, its players to maintain tight cap requirements. Players got an ally in KHL in their perpetual wrestling with owners. League should press the owners share the cost. Cap will go up, but only after enough damage will be dome, IMO. No one would do it because of Semenov or Zherdev, but those are the load on the camel's back.
The owners would never budge in allowing their cap to move from where it is. The only way it goes up is for profit to go up. However, when you have teams like Phoenix who are losing millions in an area that could care less about hockey and the league refuses to move them... then you have a bit of an issue.

Until all teams or at least 95% of them are truly healthy, then the Cap will never be high enough for it to negate the KHL factor.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
One could argue that teams passed on Zherdev, not solely because of his salary demands, but because they were already up against the cap.

Z's a talented player that belongs in the NHL. To think that he already wore out his welcome after just 2 teams and a few years in the league, doesn't seem likely to me. I personally believe that if Z was a UFA on July 1, he would be in the NHL, and some other, more marginal player would be left out of the league.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:23 PM
pld459666

Quote:

I would think that as long as the worlds best players continue to come to the NHL (not just the Canadian kids or the American kids) the KHL will not be a truly viable league.

I would think that the real risk here is that an OV and or Malkin return back to Russia. These good, but not great players like Radulov and Hudler will draw local interest in terms of attracting players from their local towns, but any real true athelete is going to want to test his skill level against the best players in the world.

And as long as the NHL holds the majority of those players, the KHL will be an asterisk

Old
10-02-2009, 01:33 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
One could argue that teams passed on Zherdev, not solely because of his salary demands, but because they were already up against the cap.

Z's a talented player that belongs in the NHL. To think that he already wore out his welcome after just 2 teams and a few years in the league, doesn't seem likely to me. I personally believe that if Z was a UFA on July 1, he would be in the NHL, and some other, more marginal player would be left out of the league.
A quick look at Cap Geek would show you that there was at least 10-12 team that had and have more than enough cap space to sign this player and that most of those teams could have used his scoring.

The problem wasn't really Z, it was more likely that teams didn't want the next Yashin on their hands.

He has that written all over him. Teams are smarter with their money today than they used to be. Atlanta choose Afinogenov over Zherdev? Was the a $$ issue?

Islanders, Leafs, Blues, Atlanta, Avs, Stars, Lightning, Predators all have the cap space and most have a need for a player os Zherdev's talents.

I find it hard to believe that he's not in the NHL cause he wasn't a UFA on July 1st.