HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Semenov Will NOT be a Ranger (UPDATE: To Moscow, KHL)

Old
10-03-2009, 12:02 AM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Uh, anyone think of this?

Semenov signs with Rangers, seems like he couldn't be happier
Then there's no deal
We've been saying, "Wife nixes deal"
Next day Grown man Semenov is crying
My thought: no pro athlete is going to bawl to his would be boss because his spouse wouldn't let him play where he wanted

Maybe she didn't literally nix the deal. Maybe something terrible happened to his wife like illness? Or someone in his family where the wife would step in and say dude you have to take care of things at home?
whatever it is, i'm glad he's not on the team

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 12:22 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Well if there's nothing more to it than "his wife didn't want to live in New York and he cried about it", then there is a truly a new standard for being whipped.

If, however, it's something serious - which I clearly hope it's not and don't think it's right to speculate about anyway - then it's a different story. Either way, he's not a Norris winner, you can always get other depth d-men.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 11:15 AM
AXN

How about Brad Lukowich? I would take him for 1.6 right now.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 01:27 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
if we just went out and signed Strudwick this off-season when we probably had the chance...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
How about Brad Lukowich? I would take him for 1.6 right now.
horrible, horrible choice imho...washed up player for 1,6 cap hit, can we just claim Schubert from waivers?

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:06 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
horrible, horrible choice imho...washed up player for 1,6 cap hit, can we just claim Schubert from waivers?
Schubert was picked up by the Thrashers.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I think Lukowich can be the 7th Defenseman here. I know he was not that bad and Vancouver has too many defenseman. Maybe Vancouver will take 600 to 1 million split.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
this is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this site.

the KHL's championship has little or no value. the money does.
yeah, right... just curious, who told you that? or you just made it up.
Funny, but every one I spoke to while in Moscow told me exact same about NHL and the SC. It is all about money they say. That is why our best player go over there.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
yeah, right... just curious, who told you that? or you just made it up.
Funny, but every one I spoke to while in Moscow told me exact same about NHL and the SC. It is all about money they say. That is why our best player go over there.
I really dont think the trophies themselves have as much to do with it as playing against the best competition in the world. For the players from NA it isnt even a thought to go elsewhere because the best competition is here and they want to win the SC. For players from Europe and elsewhere it is all about proving themselves against the best competition. There is a reason why even team Russia has their team made up of mostly all NHL players.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:20 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
would've been great if we could've landed Babchuk too...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanese View Post
TThe combined populations of the US and Canada are close to 340 million, compared to barely 140 million in Russia.
So why are you not "combining" the populations of Russia, Latvia, Kazhstan and Belarus now, and Ukraine, Czech rep and Sweden possibly in the long run?

Quote:
Annual GDP of US and Canada is nearly $16 TRILLION, compared to only $1.8 TRILLION for Russia, implying GDP per person of over $45,000 in US and Canada vs. only $12,000 in Russia. Smaller economy = smaller revenue potential. And it's not even close. So either (a) the KHL must be much smaller than the NHL by number of teams (and thus TV markets) or (b) the payrolls for each team must be lower than in the NHL.
This would be perfect logic if the market inn the US was 300 mil, and it clearly is not. The population to which the NHL can be sold is way less. Not much larger than the potential marketable population in Rus, Belarus, Latvia, Kazakhstan + other possible participants.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The KHL Championship will NEVER, let me repeat myself N-E-V-E-R be on the same level to Olympic gold.

NEVER
I will actually give you the exact year when: 2014.

As soon as the NHL drops out we will have an almost equality sign. Otherwise, clearly, not. Me thinks that's what the poster who brought this up meant..

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:26 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Apparently Semenov signed a 2 year deal in Russia for $1.5MM. If he got $750K per year tax free, I can see why his wife didn't want to go with ~$585K (the link also mentions that apparently the offer from the Rangers was a little less than the $600K originally reported) at a 40% tax rate.

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...ssia-1.1503129

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

no brainer.

stay in russia. make 750k tax free for 2 years.

looks like the mrs. made the right call after all.

40% tax........ geez, ya know what. that just aint right.

and its gonna get much worse if bho has his way

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
no brainer.

stay in russia. make 750k tax free for 2 years.

looks like the mrs. made the right call after all.

40% tax........ geez, ya know what. that just aint right.

and its gonna get much worse if bho has his way
So it's right for NHL hockey players (who mostly are millionaires) to not pay any taxes while the average American has to? I sure wouldn't want to live in such a country....

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:57 AM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
So it's right for NHL hockey players (who mostly are millionaires) to not pay any taxes while the average American has to? I sure wouldn't want to live in such a country....
Nobodies saying that, but why should they be PUNISHED with a 40% tax smack? There is a reason why people with cash are leaving NY in droves. Taxes are getting out of control, and someone needs to step in. Also, I doubt he's saying that the NHL players shouldn't pay taxes...but 40%? That is 400K if you make a Million bucks. That's FAIR? All those years of hard work and sweat, and Uncle Sam says, give me that 400k, bub! It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I'm just not a hater, I want there to be rich people, in fact, I want to be one of them some day.

Good call by Semenov. Screw paying those crazy tax rates 6K miles from home when you can make TWICE the dough and keep the wife happy. Happy wife, Happy life.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Oh boy, can we leave politics out of it? Please...?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:05 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
Nobodies saying that, but why should they be PUNISHED with a 40% tax smack? There is a reason why people with cash are leaving NY in droves. Taxes are getting out of control, and someone needs to step in. Also, I doubt he's saying that the NHL players shouldn't pay taxes...but 40%? That is 400K if you make a Million bucks. That's FAIR? All those years of hard work and sweat, and Uncle Sam says, give me that 400k, bub! It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I'm just not a hater, I want there to be rich people, in fact, I want to be one of them some day.

Good call by Semenov. Screw paying those crazy tax rates 6K miles from home when you can make TWICE the dough and keep the wife happy. Happy wife, Happy life.
Well I don't think we should politics, but I think everybody should pay the same taxes percentage wise. Now I don't know what the average tax in America is, but I sure wouldn't like it how it is in Russia these days, where millionaires don't have to pay taxes but all the relatively poor people have to.

Back on topic: Seems like the right choice moneywise for him. Will be very interesting who, and when the Rangers get as a 7th dman.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Well I don't think we should politics, but I think everybody should pay the same taxes percentage wise. Now I don't know what the average tax in America is, but I sure wouldn't like it how it is in Russia these days, where millionaires don't have to pay taxes but all the relatively poor people have to.

Back on topic: Seems like the right choice moneywise for him. Will be very interesting who, and when the Rangers get as a 7th dman.
Sorry, I usually will avoid politics on a board like this, but taxes get me mad. I agree with you about FAIR taxes. We'll leave it at that!

I agree. I'm curious to see what Sather does here. I'm guessing a Euro or perhaps a trade involving someone like Potter, moved for a Vet dman.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I really dont think the trophies themselves have as much to do with it as playing against the best competition in the world. For the players from NA it isnt even a thought to go elsewhere because the best competition is here and they want to win the SC. For players from Europe and elsewhere it is all about proving themselves against the best competition. There is a reason why even team Russia has their team made up of mostly all NHL players.
I highly doubt it. Best players play where the best salaries are offered, same as any other jobs. Player wants to win the SC because that means almost guaranteed pay raise for the entire career. They just keep it to themselves during the interviews not to upset their fans. Working conditions are also important. So far working conditions were the main obstacles for mass migration of NHL players to KHL (language, quality of life, etc.). That is why Swiss League, for instance, was more desirable, although competition level there is not so high. For Euro players KHL will become more and more an attractive option. The NA players will follow if cap remains low.
I am not saying the best NHL stars will go there. All I'm trying to get across is this: to view KHL as place for NHL rejects is a big mistake that may cost us fans as well as NHL. The cap increase should be done sooner because of KHL.

Last edited by 94now: 10-06-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
94now

Quote:
Playing hockey is not as terribly hard as you imagine. It is fun. Physical conditioning is a hard work, but there is no fun otherwise.

Salaries for the athletes are inflated due to high talent demand in their job market. Taxation redistributes wealth to those who do not have such advantage and pays for expenses associated with support of the State.
Russia, as far as I know, do not have personal income tax. So it is not like hockey players are exempt, if I am not mistaken. Russia does not care about their poor as much as Western countries. If you find that fair, you can get an immigration papers in their consulate. This country use to be like Russia now some 100 years ago. We ain't going back in time.

Last edited by 94now: 10-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
blue2noise

Quote:

When is your flight to Russia?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
CamachoNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
if we just went out and signed Strudwick this off-season when we probably had the chance...
here here!

CamachoNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:24 PM
jfc64

I would play for the NY Rangers even if the tax was 95%.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:49 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I saw Semenov as a Panther and he seemed to be of the Redden/Rozsival mentality.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote