HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

To LA - Phillips, Ruutu, Zubov, Lee

Old
09-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrepeterson View Post
I never understood that. Doesn't Quantity X Quality = Quality.
explain to me where your "quality" is in this deal? Phillips? Schenn has bigger upside than Lee and Zubov combined......kings don't give a damn about any of your picks and Greene is more valuable to the kings than Phillips.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Ruutu, Lee and Phillips play on the Kings tomorrow and each replace weaker players currently on the roster. Is the future not now in L.A.?
after explaining the quality you send to us....explain how those three replace our "weaker" players. we trade away a 5th overall pick and a shut down tough as nails dman for a bottom 6er who will only play on the 4th line, a dman that would essentially take up Greene's spot (and i said that Greene is more valuable than Phillips) and we get a dman and center that get sent down to the Ahl.......Zubov won't play ahead of Lewis and Lee won't play ahead of Drewiske.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Massena Sens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
name me the 3 players that Ruutu, Lee, and Phillips would replace on opening night.

I see Lee waiting in line...
I see Ruutu blocking a spot

but yes, Phillips would help...he's worth Matt Greene & Brayden Schenn though ? i don't think so
o.k. Philips over Greene; Lee over Drewiske; Ruutu over Ivanans

Drewiske played with Greene throughout the pre-season, but Murray was not pleased with the results.

"Quite candidly, the pair that I used throughout the exhibition games with Greene and Drewiske have just had a little bit of a difficult time there in some situations that I feel would get cleaned up if we separated them," Murray said. "It's a pair I think can work. They're big guys, big bodies, shut-down pair. As a philosophy, as a coach, for me I always like to have the big defending defenseman paired with a player who has maybe a little more mobility and puck-skill, to be able to carry the puck at different times."

Guess what? Lee and Phillips have been a D pairing in the past. One is a shut down D and the other is mobile D. Just what the guy likes. Made to order.

Massena Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:54 PM
JMFJ 3

The Kings are pretty much set right now, we don't need to add a bunch of pieces.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:55 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
i dont think this works for either team.

too much of our current team to give up for a guy who is still in junior, and for LA there is no one player in there that gives them a reason to trade a top prospect like schenn.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
To L.A.
LW Jarko Ruutu (1.3 million)
D Chris Phillips (3.5 million)
C Ilya Zubov
D Brian Lee (1.25 million)
San Jose's 2nd round pick 2010 (acquired in Heatley trade)
Ottawa's 3rd round pick 2010

To Ottawa
D Matt Greene (2.95 million)
C Brayden Schenn

Notes: L.A. ends up with one 1st rounder, three 2nd rounders and four 3rd rounders at next year's draft! Brian Lee and Jack Johnson were a pairing for the U.S. WJC team. Phillips could team up with Scuderi. Sens save $3.1 million in cap.

Kuba Volchenkov
Greene Campoli
Carkner Karlsson
Makes the Sens worse and fleeces them of depth. Why? Why would they do this?

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:59 PM
MartinVanBuren

Quote:
Greene is just fine for the Kings, and he's signed for a while with a low cap hit. Thanks, but no thanks; we'll hang onto him.

That leaves Ruutu+Lee for Schenn. Not going to happen.

Besides, Ruutu is a pest and Raitis is an enforcer. That's not a replacement.

If you guys really wanted Schenn, you should have just lost a few more games last season.

Last edited by MartinVanBuren: 10-01-2009 at 12:05 AM.
MartinVanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

too much of our current team to give up for a guy who is still in junior, and for LA there is no one player in there that gives them a reason to trade a top prospect like schenn.
Agree. The value the Kings give up is fair. But the Sens are seriously looking to make the playoffs and contend for the Cup this season. They are not wanting to decimate their Defence and send a valuable Ruutufor young players that are not likely to even play this year.

The Sens are not rebuilding... they fully and completely intend to make the playoffs and do damage if possible. Trading Phillips (who has a NTC so this is a no go anyway) and Lee... Even though Lee was sent to the minors that is a drastic destruction of an already weak D depth.

I do not know if LA would even do this. But I think LA wants to contend and I think they would love Phillips this year. But would they trade Schenn for almost anyone?

A fail for both teams and Phillips NTC makes this a toal no go. Try again.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

Drewiske played with Greene throughout the pre-season, but Murray was not pleased with the results.

"Quite candidly, the pair that I used throughout the exhibition games with Greene and Drewiske have just had a little bit of a difficult time there in some situations that I feel would get cleaned up if we separated them," Murray said. "It's a pair I think can work. They're big guys, big bodies, shut-down pair. As a philosophy, as a coach, for me I always like to have the big defending defenseman paired with a player who has maybe a little more mobility and puck-skill, to be able to carry the puck at different times."

Guess what? Lee and Phillips have been a D pairing in the past. One is a shut down D and the other is mobile D. Just what the guy likes. Made to order.
LA keeps their picks because they know how to use them and realize that once they setup that constant heavy flow of talent throughout the depth chart, it vastly reduces the need to have to go to the free agency table or the transaction phone and increases player cohesiveness and organizational pride. They are one of the few organizations building almost exclusively through the draft, that is just how the Lombardi camp works...

As for the deal, Schenn was handpicked for his character. The problem with most people making trade proposals about LA is few know and understand Dean Lombardi. They all think that if they offered Danny Heatley or some great player of the like for less than they are worth in pure skill then LA will run and lap it up - but Dean's #1 criteria is character - he will pick the work horse over the superstar everytime. I am not suggesting that these players don't have it, but just saying that this player is greater than this player therefore you are dumb for not making the trade, completely misinterprets what the Kings are looking for.

In the end, Schenn is being groomed to be that franchise center behind Kopitar, LA is doing very well on defensemen and are not interested in adding a whole slew outside of maybe one cheap veteran to play a low pairing for an equally low price - nothing fancy, given the fact that they have one of the strongest defensive depth charts in the entire NHL...

Ivanans is already being shown the door, Greene is signed another 5 years for a reason, and Drewiske has earned his spot. They are looking to make the playoffs, and they know their chances of winning the Stanley Cup. They aren't looking to trade a potential franchise center for a mediocre increase in their chances of making the playoffs and a mediocre chance at winning the Cup.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

The only player I'm really interested in from Ottawa besides Spezza and Cowen would be Volchenkov. What would it take for Volch if the Sens were dumb enough to trade him, though not even Gainey would trade him.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:03 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

LA hates this.
Doesn't Phillips have an NTC/NMC?

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:57 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Neither are the Kings. Without a trade that is. I mean come on, what is with the perpetual rebuilding. For example, what are they doing sitting on three 3rd rounders in next year's draft?
3 years is a perpetual rebuild nowadays?

Quote:

Just like when Drewiske and Doughty played together last year?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Sens4thecup

I dont get why either team would do this. It doesnt really help either team. In the end, this would be a lose-lose situation.

Sens4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

/Thread.

That's a lot of assets to get Schenn but for the Kings it makes no sense

- Greene and Phillips play a similar game
- Kings don't need Lee. They have enough D prospects/young guys
- Zubov, Ruutu, a 2nd and a 3rd? Not sure that's what the Kings would look if they were gonna part with their newly acquired 1st round pick

Overall, the package is good but not really what the Kings would look for if they were gonna trade Schenn.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 10-02-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Zal

Quote:
To L.A.
LW Jarko Ruutu (1.3 million)
D Chris Phillips (3.5 million)
C Ilya Zubov
D Brian Lee (1.25 million)
San Jose's 2nd round pick 2010 (acquired in Heatley trade)
Ottawa's 3rd round pick 2010

To Ottawa
D Matt Greene (2.95 million)
C Brayden Schenn

Notes: L.A. ends up with one 1st rounder, three 2nd rounders and four 3rd rounders at next year's draft! Brian Lee and Jack Johnson were a pairing for the U.S. WJC team. Phillips could team up with Scuderi. Sens save $3.1 million in cap.

Kuba Volchenkov
Greene Campoli
Carkner Karlsson
"Negative, Ghostrider, the patterns' full".

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 127
quantiy vs quality

At this point in time Phillips v Greene is a Push

the rest do not add up to Schenn

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Mod: deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I tought the Kings missed the playoffs 7 straight years? I'll have to look at the past standings.
Please point me to a place where Dave Taylor said the Kings were rebuilding during the few years prior Lombardi's arrival. We get it, the Kings suck. You might as well have said that because what you posted has nothing to do with rebuilding. The Kings started rebuilding and labeling it as such when DL took over. Were the Kings rebuilding in the spring of 2006 when they traded 2 former first round picks (Tambellini and Grebeshkov) for Brent Sopel and Mark Parrish? Or how about the Anson Carter deal at the end of the 2004 season? I'm sure you were paying lots of attention to the Kings then. If you are going to make derisive comments, at least know what the **** you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
"Negative, Ghostrider, the patterns' full".
Hey you aren't so bad after all!

Last edited by Fugu: 10-01-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: bad visual
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
danyhabsfan

well take Lee and Phillips off your hands

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
bdp

Phillips has an NTC, he wouldn't waive to go to LA of all places.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano View Post
Good because Brayden Schenn hates Ottawans!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I tought the Kings missed the playoffs 7 straight years? I'll have to look at the past standings. Thx for the info

/Thread.

That's a lot of assets to get Schenn but for the Kings it makes no sense

- Greene and Phillips play a similar game
- Kings don't need Lee. They have enough D prospects/young guys
- Zubov, Ruutu, a 2nd and a 3rd? Not sure that's what the Kings would look if they were gonna part with their newly acquired 1st round pick

Overall, the package is good but not really what the Kings would look for if they were gonna trade Schenn.
So missing the playoffs is considered rebuilding now too?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
So missing the playoffs is considered rebuilding now too?
LOL exactly

So Xspyrit, Ottawa was rebuilding last year then right?

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
LOL exactly

So Xspyrit, Ottawa was rebuilding last year then right?
Yes, they did. Got a top 10 pick, traded some vets for picks, got a young defender in Campoli, traded a legit top 6 forward for a young goalie and higher round pick. Plus trading Heatley, however I don't know if that counts even if the effect of which was to trade for a forward 4 years younger.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
Yes, they did. Got a top 10 pick, traded some vets for picks, got a young defender in Campoli, traded a legit top 6 forward for a young goalie and higher round pick. Plus trading Heatley, however I don't know if that counts even if the effect of which was to trade for a forward 4 years younger.
Uhhh... No. That's not rebuilding. And No Heatley doesn't count. He demanded a trade. Management didn't trade him out of their own accord to restock the pipeline.

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano View Post
Right, because failing in Ottawa is that much more prestigious.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote