HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keenan joins MSG Rangers broadcast team

Old
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
HAPPY HOUR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Don't want him within a 100 mile radius of the Rangers.

With the trail of destruction that has followed him around the league, I only hope the studio houses him Hannibal Lecter-style, behind a 10 foot plexiglass wall.

Now thats funny...

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
i really dont see where you guys are coming from. if you get center ice you'll find really really bad broadcasts across the league. Sam is a good commentator, and Joe is a pretty good color guy. OK he isn't outstanding like JD, but he's far better than most (tune into Chico for an example). Deb Placey is also a good studio host.

My fave guy is definite Dave Maloney - I would like to get him more involved. Especially his ice level stuff.
No, you're right, some are just god-awful. The Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Florida announcers are a perfect example. Sam and Joe are great when calling the game, but their dumb jokes and a$$ sucking are SO annoying! And when they get together with Trautwig, it just gets really bad. And Deb Placey is nice to look at and it decent in the studio, but she gets on my nerves sometimes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Sam's 61 yrs old. He still has some time left. Many announcers don't retire until they're in their 70s. They will never force Sam out the door. He'll leave when he wants.

He's the same as John Sterling (same age too), they'll leave when they want to retire.
Lol...with all due respect, please don't compare those 2. Sam is a good announcer, annoying sometimes, but I love him. John Sterling is an embarassment, plain and simple. He should have never been allowed near a mic to begin with that's how bad he sucks!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 10-01-2009 at 03:57 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
frozenH20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I hope they get rid of Michelleti.
Michelleti is quick to praise and seems to have a wealth of knowledge of the players, teams, gm’s. He can go on and on about any player…strengths and weaknesses, favorite past time, what he had for breakfast, etc. During the boston game, he went into great depth about kessel, what loosing kessel meant to boston and how they are going to move forward, what kessel brings to the leafs and how best to use him, etc… All good stuff. Unfortunately, he never says squat about a ranger player.

I miss JD

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
I met DEB at the NHL store the other day, she was looking good...
I'll take Deb over a spokesmodel, or Mike Keenan, any day.

You want mind-numbing questions from a talking ponytail? Tune to ESPN.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:11 PM
McMonster

In all honesty, he should replace Dave Maloney.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
i really dont see where you guys are coming from. if you get center ice you'll find really really bad broadcasts across the league. Sam is a good commentator, and Joe is a pretty good color guy. OK he isn't outstanding like JD, but he's far better than most (tune into Chico for an example). Deb Placey is also a good studio host.

My fave guy is definite Dave Maloney - I would like to get him more involved. Especially his ice level stuff.
I agree. People may not like Joe M and John G, but they're light years ahead of some of the guys out there. I mean it's not even close.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:32 PM
OverTheCap

I think Micheletti is very informative and knowledgeable when it comes to players and the game. It also helps that he is a former player, as he often notices things that someone like Sam wouldn't recognize.

But he oftens borders on Chico-like homeristic rants ("Gaborik may score 65 goals this season") and is a shill for MSG. It's not surprising that he attacked Dubinsky's character during his holdout and then starts praising his efforts the moment he signed. If Micheletti was a little more objective, I would enjoy the broadcast a lot more.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If Micheletti was a little more objective, I would enjoy the broadcast a lot more.
This.

Same reason why I can't listen to or watch a Yankee game. Michael Kay and John Sterling make me throw up.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
gluvhand

What I found very surprising, and I don't know why, is how much I enjoy Stemkowski on the radio end. Love when he's on and Dave's out. On the TV side, I just find their sense of humor to be too old school. Nothing any of them has ever said has gotten a chuckle out of me.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:44 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead71 View Post
This.

Same reason why I can't listen to or watch a Yankee game. Michael Kay and John Sterling make me throw up.
John Sterling: "You can never predict baseball" "IT IS HIGH... IT IS FAR.... IT IS.... caught" "Isn't it amazing, Suzyn...?"

Gahhhh, I can't stand him!

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Don't want him within a 100 mile radius of the Rangers.

With the trail of destruction that has followed him around the league, I only hope the studio houses him Hannibal Lecter-style, behind a 10 foot plexiglass wall.

Sam: And now let's go ice level for some insight from Al Trautwig.

*silence*

Sam: Al, are you there?

Keenan: Oh, he's here all right, or what's left of him. The rest is in my stomach. Your self-proclaimed sports archaeologist tried to test my hockey knowledge. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:41 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Sam and Joe are two of the best announcers in the league.

I wish all you guys who bash Sam and Joe could listen to some of the other broadcast teams out there. . . i.e. Pittsburgh, Tampa, Atlanta, St. Louis, ect.

We are very lucky to have Sammy

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:22 PM
NY Ranger86

John G is the man! Not the best play by play announcer but great interviewer.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I hope they get rid of Michelleti.
I think he got a piece of it Sam

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:31 PM
ogie

i think MSG needs to overhaul it's entire on air team. well almost

Sam is a great play-by-play guy but that's all he should be doing. when he carries the non action banter it gets old real quick and it seems that Joe Mich isn't strong enough to take control of that aspect.

Joe Mich must be afraid of Sam because he seems to always to defer to him, and he is so corny it is not even funny. That "aw shucks" Opie from Maybury thing might fly in other parts of the country but not here. Get someone young, interesting and funny in there. And most of all someone with ties to the Rangers!

Al Trautwig.... what else can i say about him that hasn't be said a million times? Why this Guy has a job is beyond me. His job should be filled by a good looking women...so every once in a while they can cut to her rink side and get some useless tidbit, allowing us fans a glimpse of her beauty. I know MSG has/or did have Tina Cervasio under contract....so who wouldn't want to see her instead of Al?

Dave Maloney ... I kind of like him, to a point. I think that having him chime in between periods with some expert opinion stuff is good, anymore than that, no good. The game they had him in the booth with Sam and Joe... i turned the sound off.

Stan Fishler ... ugh. The only way i would be able to choke down Stan's non-sense is if he finished every long winded diatribe about hockey in 19 ought 8 with "quote the maven...nevermore"

John Giannone... Again i like John in small doses. But as a play-by-play guy, no way. Thankfully there aren't that many jewish holidays so Sam is not missing often . But if he is MSG's fallback plan for when Sam retires... i will go postal.

Ron Dugay .... where to begin, the ridiculous outfits? The spray on tan? The bon jovi hair? It is a said state of affairs if Ron Dugay is the best former Ranger that MSG could get to fill that roll.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:30 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Ah, another attempt by mangement to hark back to the Stanley Cup winning team (guess they missed the fact that Keenan was talking to other teams about jumping ship during the playoffs, but hey, it was long ago, I'm sure all is forgiven). All of this is getting old.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Wayne Simmonds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=500590

Mike keenan as Ranger Broadcaster? I quess they want a tougher prospective.
i thought he was making a "guest" appearance...

Wayne Simmonds* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Wayne Simmonds*

just read the article and i must say the part where it says "We are very excited to have Mike join our award-winning cast," made me laugh a little....award winning eh?

Wayne Simmonds* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:42 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Ah, another attempt by mangement to hark back to the Stanley Cup winning team (guess they missed the fact that Keenan was talking to other teams about jumping ship during the playoffs, but hey, it was long ago, I'm sure all is forgiven). All of this is getting old.
Why would the Dolan's care? They didn't own the team then. And things may have turned out very differently if they did. I'm not saying for the better. Just differently.

Old
10-02-2009, 09:42 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Extremely...

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Salsa Shark

If anyone cares, Keenan will be on Mike Francessa's show sometime today. I do not know when though.

Salsa Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Why would the Dolan's care? They didn't own the team then. And things may have turned out very differently if they did. I'm not saying for the better. Just differently.
They care because by constantly reliving this win it keeps it top of mind — when, in fact, it was 15 years ago.

The Devils have won three cups since then. The Garden treats 1994 like the Rangers were the only team to ever win a Cup.

10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
gluvhand

They'll keep reliving it until they have a Cup they had something to do with. Keenan is marketable here. That's all there is to it.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
deke and score

Quote:
Breaking news! Live chat with Mike Keenan, former @thenyRangers coach, at 3:30 on msg.com!
http://twitter.com/thenyrangers/status/4559528693

deke and score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:30 PM
pwoz

Bring back JD.

I grew up with Sam & JD.

Let JD replace Sather, too!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote