HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thoughts on Kovalchuk's future?

Old
10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
In no way, shape, or form is Hainsey better than Gilbert. I would argue that Gilbert is a better all around defender than Enstrom as well.
I agree that Gilbert is much better than Hainsey, but Enstrom is way better than the both of them.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:15 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

I think it's really funny that Rangers fans are all over this thread. As per usual, whenever a big-name free agent is available (or remotely thought to be available), Rangers fans flood these boards with "He wants to be a Ranger, he will be a Ranger, Sather will make him be a Ranger nom nom nom." The Rangers have been doing it forever, and then want to get rid of the guys after they've been acquired (see: the pursuit and departure of Gomez, pursuit and *hopeful* departure of Drury, pursuit and *hopeful* departure of Redden, pursuit of Gaborik, pursuit of Heatley, etc.) It's honestly gotten ridiculous.

I'm not Nostradamus, and I don't know where Kovalchuk will be playing next season. I do think, deep down, his first preference would be Atlanta for a myriad of reasons (family stability, franchise "ownership," captaincy, sense of accomplishment). The team looks good on paper, and they've looked good on ice for their one game so far (a terribly small sample size, to be sure). So long as Pavelec holds up, and the team plays hard in front of him (unlike Kari), they are a top-eight team in terms of talent. However, talent doesn't always equal success. We'll see how the season plays out. We'll know a lot more about this team after they get done with this October road swing.

RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
chet1926

In my opinion Kovalchuk will either be in Atlanta next year or will be on a Western Conference team that has some cap space.

I can't see Kovalchuk staying in Atlanta if they continue to lose, no one wants to lose every year. If Atlanta proves they are on the winning track he will stick around. If its another year of a top 5 pick he will be traded at the deadline to a contender for a good package, then he'll hit UFA and go to a team that offers him a large contract and a chance to win.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
If the Lighthouse gets approved, it would be an awesome gift to the fans to give the Islanders Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk-Tavares-Okposo
Comeau-Bailey-xxx

That would be an awesome top six, and add to that a real possibility of finishing in last place again this season, you could add Taylor Hall to that top 6.
However the chance that happens is very slim, but I can always dream.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
GetPucksDeep

Kovalchuk's future?

His number will hang from the rafters in Philips Arena.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
oilfan6

Visnovski omark staios nillison and a 1st round pick to atlanta for a long term signed kovachuk would help edm lots and put them in a nice place in the playoffs.
We have too many offencive D and not enough high scoring first line players

oilfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan6 View Post
Visnovski omark staios nillison and a 1st round pick to atlanta for a long term signed kovachuk would help edm lots and put them in a nice place in the playoffs.
We have too many offencive D and not enough high scoring first line players
this same thing applies to atlanta

granted they have more of a use for them but still they have enstrom, bogosian, hainsey, kubina, salmella, postma, etc.

atlanta would want another top 6 forward back along with draft picks and a solid prospect

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
There is no edict from god that says the Rangers cannot remedy their cap situation. And there are plenty of teams pushing the cap limit, little grasshoppa.

I argued well over a year with silly clowns from various city's who tried to convince me Scott Gomez had negative value, when the reality of things proved much, much different. Not one of them manned up either.

If Sather has to clear cap space, he will. Simple as that.

I think some of you guys haven't really grasped the Salary cap, and various ways GM's can wiggle their way in, and out of bad contracts. Put your reality hat on. Think, before you think, before you post.
The guys that say Kovy will be a Ranger are telling me to think before I post?

Bookmarked. Better answer up when Kovy is NOT a Rag

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:27 PM
isleskovalchuk

He will stay in Atlanta and he will be the hall of famer who saves that franchise.

Though kovalchuk on the isles would be dream come true.

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
oilfan6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
this same thing applies to atlanta

granted they have more of a use for them but still they have enstrom, bogosian, hainsey, kubina, salmella, postma, etc.

atlanta would want another top 6 forward back along with draft picks and a solid prospect
Ok
cogliano nillson omark staios and a 1st

Old
10-05-2009, 09:14 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I will set Philips Arena on fire before Steve Staios plays another game in a Thrashers uniform. You can keep him. And if Edmonton is going to be in the mix, MSP has to be involved.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:46 PM
oilfan6

cogliano nillson omark gilbert and a 1st
or
cogliano nillson omark and two 1st rounders

no MSP

Old
10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan6 View Post
cogliano nillson omark gilbert and a 1st
or
cogliano nillson omark and two 1st rounders

no MSP
No Kovy your secondary talent doesn't get you a top 5 forward

Old
10-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate View Post

No one really said with certainty that Kovy is going to be a Ranger (or at least any fan being realistic). We just said that the assumption that Rangers are in cap hell is wrong. Furthermore, if he becomes a UFA, the Rangers will probably look to make space for him and it's really not that daunting of a task. It depends on a variety of factors (all of which have been listed numerous times in this thread) but all we're saying is that it's a possibility. Sure, it could be a possibility for most teams... The only thing that Ranger fans have been saying is that, should he hit free agency (and I think he will), the Rangers will be one of the teams looking to sign him.

Maybe you should stop putting words in our mouths and try to keep your biases from destroying any sense of rational thought that's rolling around in your head.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
No one really said with certainty that Kovy is going to be a Ranger (or at least any fan being realistic). We just said that the assumption that Rangers are in cap hell is wrong. Furthermore, if he becomes a UFA, the Rangers will probably look to make space for him and it's really not that daunting of a task. It depends on a variety of factors (all of which have been listed numerous times in this thread) but all we're saying is that it's a possibility. Sure, it could be a possibility for most teams... The only thing that Ranger fans have been saying is that, should he hit free agency (and I think he will), the Rangers will be one of the teams looking to sign him.

Maybe you should stop putting words in our mouths and try to keep your biases from destroying any sense of rational thought that's rolling around in your head.
Well put.

Just looking at the big name contracts given out the past few years, the Rangers have been in the mix on most of them, signing several of the biggest deals and being involved in several others (ie: rumored offer to Hossa when he picked Detroit). Even when they were written off as not being a player in the UFA market this past summer due to cap constraints, Sather moved Gomez and signed the highest player on the market.

If there's a UFA that Sather believes could make the Rangers better, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Sather will be spinning the tires on a deal at the very least.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
Kovalchuk's future?

His number will hang from the rafters in Philips Arena.
This.

Kovalchuk knows what he means to the team.

He seems like the type of guy who'd rather be honored by a franchise and have his jersey retired by the team than to win the cup.

He has a unique opportunity with the Thrashers. He holds so many records and if he finishes his career there, they may never be broken by another Thrasher. He has a chance to make history with that franchise.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
No Kovy your secondary talent doesn't get you a top 5 forward
MPS was Tambo's first real pick and like Hemsky for Lowe, he'd be really hard pressed to move him right away(esp given how he's playing so far). MPS would be tough to get.

And fans always say that on here, but all trades for big name, big $$ players, of late, have involved secondary players. We'll see if Kovalchuk reverses that trend, but I sure wouldn't treat your opinion as certain, given recent history.

Last edited by s7ark: 10-05-2009 at 11:47 PM.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:39 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This.

He seems like the type of guy who'd rather be honored by a franchise and have his jersey retired by the team than to win the cup.

He has a unique opportunity with the Thrashers. He holds so many records and if he finishes his career there, they may never be broken by another Thrasher. He has a chance to make history with that franchise.

Kovy wants a sign from management that he can have a chance at both. And in all honesty, given the man's sheer determination, it really wouldn't surprise me if he's able to make both happen.

RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Philly85
Moody'

To ATL: Gagner/Eberle + Gilbert/Grebeshkov + 1st rounder 2010/2011 + ??? (maybe Ethan Moreau)

To EDM: Ilya Kovalchuk + Marty Reasoner

I think Kovalchuk will re-sign for a gargantuan new contract though and stay in Atlanta. They have good pieces there, a strong nucleus, it's a nice city and I think that franchise is on the upswing. Not comparable with markets such as Phoenix/Florida.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:48 PM
indigosurf

Next year, Olli Jokinen will be a free agent, and as the Flames will fail in the playoffs again, they wont re-sign him, thus letting him and his $5.25M contract go, and we'll trade enough to open up a few more million, and then sign Kovalchuk to a similar deal to the Bouwmeester one, around 6.8 caphit, with the first year paying him $7M.

indigosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
MPS was Tambo's first real pick and like Hemsky for Lowe, he'd be really hard pressed to move him right away(esp given how he's playing so far). MPS would be tough to get.

And fans always say that on here, but all trades for big name, big $$ players, of late, have involved secondary players. We'll see if Kovalchuk reverses that trend, but I sure wouldn't treat your opinion as certain, given recent history.
This is Ilya Kovalchuk

an in his prime 50 goal type of player

and you won't part with MPS?

When it's all said in done who will have had the better career?

Old
10-06-2009, 12:36 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
This is Ilya Kovalchuk

an in his prime 50 goal type of player

and you won't part with MPS?

When it's all said in done who will have had the better career?
Very likely Kovalchuk by a wide margin. My point is that Tambo will be protective of MPS and will offer up everything under the sun before him. And also that star players haven't been bringing in these kind of big returns like HF keeps expecting.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This.

That seems like a pleasant sentiment that he'll stay in the same place for his entire career but things don't always work out in a storybook fashion. The fact of the matter is that he'll be marketed better in a larger hockey market. He's still young so if he goes to most teams, he has a chance to be an all-time great for them. He'll have ten years to play and if he brings a cup or two while playing as well as he has so far, there's no doubt in my mind he'll be raising his jersey number regardless of where that happens. Not to mention that bringing a cup to a larger market team will bring more attention to his legacy.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

If you're going to take the time to respond to somebody, and then bookmark a thread, make the initial effort of properly reading a person's opinion.

You clearly fail at it based on this asinine post of yours.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:48 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
All the Rangers have is money. Kovalchuk wants to win.
The last time I checked, the last time Atlanta made the playoffs, they got swept by the Rangers, and since, the Rangers have made the playoffs both years, and Atlanta has not. Also, to boot, the Rangers definitely have a better farm system right now than Atlanta.

So he'd have money, a team with a good future, and a great place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
This isnt NHL 10....
Tell that to Brian Burke, the only way that ****show that you call a top-9 would work is in NHL 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I would be surprised if the nhl allowed amnesty buyouts, but I would be shocked if they allowed three per team.
I'm pretty sure he clearly stated that Redden would be the ONE amnesty buyout, Rozsival would be traded, and Prospal and Higgins are on one-year deals.

But now I know we live in a world where one equals three, sweet deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
This.
Yeah I laugh at it too, considering Atlanta has made the playoffs once in their storied history, and they have something to offer? Family reasons aside, there's no reason for Kovalchuk to stay. If it took this long for the franchise to start actually giving a **** about re-building around it's homegrown superstar, then there's no reason to stay as there was no loyalty to Ilya until he threatened to leave, and for that reason, he should show no loyalty to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Gilbert would be a 2nd pairing D at best for Atlanta, Enstrom is better perhaps Hainsey as well.

Gilbert is a bit redundant for Atlanta, I don't think that package would work.
You should really watch Gilbert play before making a statement like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
I think it's really funny that Rangers fans are all over this thread. As per usual, whenever a big-name free agent is available (or remotely thought to be available), Rangers fans flood these boards with "He wants to be a Ranger, he will be a Ranger, Sather will make him be a Ranger nom nom nom." The Rangers have been doing it forever, and then want to get rid of the guys after they've been acquired (see: the pursuit and departure of Gomez, pursuit and *hopeful* departure of Drury, pursuit and *hopeful* departure of Redden, pursuit of Gaborik, pursuit of Heatley, etc.) It's honestly gotten ridiculous.
Well, aside from the highlighted part, the rest of that paragraph was pure garbage... but that was classic right there. When was there even a mention that the Rangers were in pursuit of Redden? I don't even remember Redden being on the Rangers radar until the day he was signed. It took most of us, if not all, on the Rangers board by surprise.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote