HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doug Weight Named Captain

Old
10-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Isles Enforcer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
You have to respect the fact that this is what the PLAYERS wanted. This was not a decision from upper management. The players wanted Weight and I can live with that.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Way to go DOUG!!!!!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Islandersfan1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
You have to respect the fact that this is what the PLAYERS wanted. This was not a decision from upper management. The players wanted Weight and I can live with that.
Agreed. The 4 assistants kind of seems like a joke but hopefully they'll trim it and find the true leaders outside of Weight.

Islandersfan1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:52 PM
OpAck

No, no...we may need 4 assistants...two to monitor Sean Avery's ego when we trade Comeau and Streit to the Raggies for him...

Wocka wocka.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:15 PM
kpap57

Was hoping for Streit only for the future tenure of the team, but like the A'ssss, even with the amount. This is a team looking for its future.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

I wanna be an assistant, too.

Me too!

And me!

too much. 2 A's.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:06 AM
isleskovalchuk

congrats dougie. 100% well deserved.

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Perfect_Drug

Oiler fan here.

Freakin LOVED Doug as our captain, and he lead us out of our darkest of days. He doesn't have the same 100point ability he had back then, but damn you can teach what he's got.

Even after he beat us for the cup in 06, we have mad respect for him. If circumstances would allow, I would love to have him back on the Oilers in a heartbeat.

You guys picked an awesome captain. I was surprised he wasn't chosen before Guerin.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Dan-o16

In another thread I said I'd drop a hundy if Streit wasn't named captain... gotta put my money where my mouth is. If any of you are affiliated with a non-religious charity, I'd be happy to donate that hundred. PM me.

Best,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:25 AM
mikemustgo13

Let's hope the new Captain and Witt(A) bring us back something good at the trade deadline.

mikemustgo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemustgo13 View Post
Let's hope the new Captain and Witt(A) bring us back something good at the trade deadline.
Nice. Game 1 hasn't even been played yet, and we're already thinking about the trade deadline.

Hey mods, can we get a "Taylor Hall Sweepstakes" thread sticky-d?

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:57 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutchBoring13 View Post
I don't love Witt getting an A, but I LOVE that Park has had his hard work recognized. He's my favorite Islander, and he's an incredibly deserving choice. Weight, too, was the right decision. Let's hope he can get healthy soon.

I'd rather the A over some who said he should get the C or at least be in contention for it.

As for some saying too many A's, thinking they will have home A and road A.

Like everyone else is saying, nice picks.

Old
10-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Toujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Nice. Game 1 hasn't even been played yet, and we're already thinking about the trade deadline.

Hey mods, can we get a "Taylor Hall Sweepstakes" thread sticky-d?
Seriously. I can't believe how much people are talking about the trade deadline. Relax a bit, enjoy the season. Let's worry about trade deadline shenanigans when the time comes. Unless some of you would rather see us dead last again and as Strum said, enter the Taylor Hall sweepstakes @_@

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:09 AM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

You guys picked an awesome captain. I was surprised he wasn't chosen before Guerin.

Well, Guerin came here a year before Weight and so he was captain before Weight even arrived. They weren't going to strip him of the captaincy.

I'm "meh" on the decision. I'm not in the lockerroom, so its hard to say who should be captain. But a thought I had is that giving the captaincy to Weight, a guy who most certainly won't be here next year, indicates that they may want to give the C to Okposo next year. Not saying thats the right decision, but just something that popped into my head. You give the C to Streit now and that means Okposo can't have it for another 3 years.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:33 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujin View Post
I have a feeling the Isles will re-sign Park. If he's gone next year, consider me surprised. He's been a constant performer and hard worker 100 percent of the time for this team, and I think GMG will do what it takes to keep him.
Just was talking to my bro, who happens to be a rags fan, about park. I told him he should be an A on this team and he asked why, so I told him. Park is what you want all your players to be. He puts it all on the line, every shift, no matter what the score or time left in the game. A consummate pro thatís work ethic should be emulated by the entire team. If park rubs off at all on schremp that waiver wire pick up will be one of the best this team has ever had.
im fine with all the capts picked. 4 is excessive but if its 2 home 2 away thats fine with me. weight is a great leader and should have the honor of being a captain esp if its his last season in the nhl. hes already shown that he cares immensely for this organization by taking tavares under his wing, which is the best thing that can happen for him. One yr left or not, hes a step up over our previous captains(dollar bill and yash)

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:38 AM
BJo

Regarding Witt, there was a rumor that all the refs hate Witt and thats why he can't be captain.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
Regarding Witt, there was a rumor that all the refs hate Witt and thats why he can't be captain.
Yet he has an "A", and it was a team vote. I don't think that fact really matters. An "A" has just as many responsibilities on the ice as the captain does.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Yet he has an "A", and it was a team vote. I don't think that fact really matters. An "A" has just as many responsibilities on the ice as the captain does.
Just saying what i thought i heard a long time ago. I don't think it helps to have a captain that is disliked by the refs.

Old
10-02-2009, 09:02 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
I think it does, an A doesn't talk as often to the refs as the captain does. I think (and I may be mistaken) but even Witt said once that he doesn't have the best relationships with the refs and avoids talking to them whenever possible.

I think Witt is a good locker room guy and a good teammate, but not the best guy to speak with the refs.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
I think it does, an A doesn't talk as often to the refs as the captain does. I think (and I may be mistaken) but even Witt said once that he doesn't have the best relationships with the refs and avoids talking to them whenever possible.

I think Witt is a good locker room guy and a good teammate, but not the best guy to speak with the refs.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it whoever is on the ice, whether it be an "A" or a "C", is the only one allowed to talk to the refs? For example, if Weight is on the bench, and Okposo is on the ice, then Weight can't come off the bench, only Okposo can talk to the ref.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
Well, Guerin came here a year before Weight and so he was captain before Weight even arrived. They weren't going to strip him of the captaincy.

I'm "meh" on the decision. I'm not in the lockerroom, so its hard to say who should be captain. But a thought I had is that giving the captaincy to Weight, a guy who most certainly won't be here next year, indicates that they may want to give the C to Okposo next year. Not saying thats the right decision, but just something that popped into my head. You give the C to Streit now and that means Okposo can't have it for another 3 years.
I think it's premature to give KO the C for 2010-11. However, if he goes out there this year & puts up the 30 goals 40 assists I have him pegged for, then it would make it much easier to accept such a young player as the Captain.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:37 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it whoever is on the ice, whether it be an "A" or a "C", is the only one allowed to talk to the refs? For example, if Weight is on the bench, and Okposo is on the ice, then Weight can't come off the bench, only Okposo can talk to the ref.
I think you are right, but I still think Witter said it.

Although, for somethings I think they may be able to come off the bench, may a stop in play for a delay or something.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
JKP

Happy with Weight. Nice that it was a player vote instead of by pronouncement on the day the person was introduced to the press.

The four A's are needed to ensure we have two at all times given the number of injuries the team has. I suspect, as other have said, they'll be rotated or set two for each home and away.

No complaints on these selections at all. Weight will be a good captain and represent the team with aplomb and class.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
The four A's are needed to ensure we have two at all times given the number of injuries the team has. I suspect, as other have said, they'll be rotated or set two for each home and away..
Meh. The Red Wings have 3 A's. It's fine.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
1islefan

Good choice. Doug is a well respected player and will do good on his captaincy.
Not sure I agree with Park getting an "A", I would prefer to see Hunter with it, but it is what it is.

BTW, don't mean to get off topic, but what's the latest on KO? Is he good to go tomorrow?

1islefan is offline   Reply With Quote