HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

great news on Ulanov

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
great news on Ulanov

according to this link, Lowe has a team option on Igor for 750,000 for next year. That was a great move on Lowe's part to get a guy cheap when he is without an NHL contract.

IMO, this ranks up there with Ethan'c contract in terms of how shrewd it was.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040407/nhl_edm3-sun.html

Old
04-07-2004, 01:22 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
according to this link, Lowe has a team option on Igor for 750,000 for next year. That was a great move on Lowe's part to get a guy cheap when he is without an NHL contract.

IMO, this ranks up there with Ethan'c contract in terms of how shrewd it was.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040407/nhl_edm3-sun.html

ooops...
I mean

Old
04-07-2004, 01:36 PM
HotToddy

Except that Ulanov will be 37 by the time the league starts up again ,and as we saw by Oates example, the older they get the harder they recoup from layoff.

Maybe the Oil should have waited till the end of the lockout to see if Lynch and Wowiytka were seasoned and ready before signing Igor.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:42 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
Except that Ulanov will be 37 by the time the league starts up again ,and as we saw by Oates example, the older they get the harder they recoup from layoff.

Maybe the Oil should have waited till the end of the lockout to see if Lynch and Wowiytka were seasoned and ready before signing Igor.
Well seeing as it is an option, he doesn't have to do it.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
The Oilers haven't signed him yet. They have a 750,000 team option for next year but they haven't picked it up yet. I still think they will, but that's beside the point.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:51 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy

He's 34 now.
The option is for 1 year ('04/'05).
If, as you say, there's no NHL hockey till he's 37.
I don't see a point of contention here.

Last edited by IceDragoon: 04-07-2004 at 01:59 PM. Reason: to add quote for clarity
Old
04-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Matts

Isn't it always nice...

to have options

Well I don't think we'll see both Cross and Ulanov on this team next year and if I had to choose, I'd take Igor.

Then again, back to the original point, maybe both will be back if Smith gets uppity heading to arbirtration and he's dealt for a pick or a prospect that isn't a dman.

Lots to be decided on the backend.

Goaltending looks to be decided and if Nedved comes back, the forwards are good to go as well. But tonnes of things to consider for on the backend

Old
04-07-2004, 02:10 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Wow.. Great move by Lowe. That is fabulous news.

Uules was GREAT for us this year. I am sure they will pick up that option. And If I were Lowe I would give him a bonus of a few hundred K as well as a sign to the other players what happens when you perform like he did.

That would be the classy thing to do.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Mr Sakich

I hope Woywitka and Lynch are ready next year. The way ulanov played this year, he could play for any team. This year, a premium was paid for quality dmen and Lowe has an extra trading chip if he decides to move ulanov (or Cross, just to keep Matts happy)

Old
04-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Brynster

The Mangler's option??

Igor's club option must be inked BEFORE July 1st so they can't wait to see what happens with the CBA. Either sign him or let him go and risk another team picking him up. Same situation with Nedved.

THAT is what's wrong with the expiration date for the CBA. Why September??
Dumb.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:26 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
Igor's club option must be inked BEFORE July 1st so they can't wait to see what happens with the CBA. Either sign him or let him go and risk another team picking him up.

Dumb.

Couldn't agree with you more, Brynster. Seriously.. there are a ton of guys that are going to be FA after July 1st.. then what? Who gets signed?? No one knows what the post-CBA financial horizon will look like so do the players sign for less? Do the owners overspend as usual? It's a messy situation.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
Igor's club option must be inked BEFORE July 1st so they can't wait to see what happens with the CBA. Either sign him or let him go and risk another team picking him up.

Dumb.

In that case I would definitely pick up his option and wait to see what happens. I personally think there are a lot of teams that would love to pick up Ulanov as a depth d-man after his very strong season. $750 000 isn't too big a hit and we could likely move him if he became redundant in our lineup..

Old
04-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Asiaoil

I'd like to see us keep both Cross and Ulanov - but actually try to use our depth to keep these older guys fresh. Neither is particularly expensive and limiting them both to about 60 games would really help us out on the back line over the last 20 games of the season. Of course if the lock-out lasts until Christmas the they are good to go all year.

Smith is trade bait - keep Cross/Ulanov for the vet presence - and Semenov has to step up as a top 4 guy.

Brew / Semi
Staios / Cross
Ulanov / Bergy / Luoma or Allen

Lynch and Woywitka get another year in TO unless one of them make it impossible for us to send him down at training camp

Old
04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
oil slick

I don't understand what the issue is with the CBA expiry. Pick up his contract. If there is no hockey next year, it makes no difference... we're not paying him anyways. If there is hockey next year, great, we've got a cheap guy who'll still be useful.

Am I not getting something?

Old
04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
barto

I agree - crazy NOT to pick up the option, and that *was* a shrewd move by Lowe to add that option in there initially.

I also agree that Ulanov gives us some veteran stability back there. Just from what I've read & heard, it sounds like Igor is more of a "mentor" to the younger guys (Semenov/Bergie in particular) than Cross...just because I haven't heard anyone talk about how Cross will chat with the younger d-men to tutor them a bit, help them out, etc... He might do that, but I hear it about Ulanov & not Cross...

I also think he makes Smith more expendable - if Gator doesn't sign a reasonable contract extension by the draft, I figure it's 80/20 that he's traded then.

Bart

Old
04-07-2004, 05:11 PM
dawgbone

Not sure how shrewed it was...

I mean it's not like Ulanov had options or anything. He wanted in the NHL, and like a good GM, Lowe covered his butt. I'm sure 29 other GM's make the same move in similar instances (sign a guy to 1 + an option if they are desparate to fill a hole).

I mean you get him for the year and if he works out you still have him and if it doesn't, you let him go. Ulanov wasn't in the best bargaining position, so I think he would have taken almost anything.

Old
04-07-2004, 05:13 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I don't understand what the issue is with the CBA expiry. Pick up his contract. If there is no hockey next year, it makes no difference... we're not paying him anyways. If there is hockey next year, great, we've got a cheap guy who'll still be useful.

Am I not getting something?
I guess it's basically if you pick up his option, and there is no hockey for 2 years, do you want a 36 year old Ulanov on your blueline?

If you don't, then you have to trade him or buy him out...

That being said I think Lowe will pick it up, or at the very least wait until the draft and make a decision then.

Old
04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Not sure how shrewed it was...

I mean it's not like Ulanov had options or anything. He wanted in the NHL, and like a good GM, Lowe covered his butt. I'm sure 29 other GM's make the same move in similar instances (sign a guy to 1 + an option if they are desparate to fill a hole).

I mean you get him for the year and if he works out you still have him and if it doesn't, you let him go. Ulanov wasn't in the best bargaining position, so I think he would have taken almost anything.
You're probably right that Ulanov was just happy to be offered a shot at the NHL again, but Lowe could've just done a contract to the end of the year, a la Oates, but had the foresight to have the option on him for another year at a decently low salary. Maybe not shrewd, but smart... (if that makes any difference)

I guess I'm just glad he did that and that Ulanov agreed to it, and then played very well for the Oilers the rest of the year (mostly).

Bart

Old
04-07-2004, 05:50 PM
speeds

that Ulanov contract must be one of the best per-dollar acquisitions of the last UFA period.

It's an absolute no-brainer to exercise that option on June 30th, assuming Ulanov doesn't get hurt in the meantime or something like that.

Closed Thread