HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tension between Drury and Torts?

Old
10-02-2009, 08:59 AM
NY Ranger86

vCash: 500
Drury was known to be furious after one of Tortorellas beat up practice sessions late in the preseason, "this is fcking ridiculous!" slamming his stick as getting off the ice.

Supposedly Torts is still kicking their ass in practice... good thing yes.. in moderation. If he over does it.. The team A will hate him or B will be so worn out and useless midway thru the season, both physically and mentally. When you take the fun out of hockey... players lose something. But anyway... I'm sure Drury and Torts will clash just as much as anyone else on the team will clash with torts.

SIDE NOTE: Gomez was the big mutineer against Renney last season... and Mr. Drury had a part in it as well. Just some food for thought.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SomebodySaveKreider

I think everyone is making something out of nothing.

Thank God the season starts tonight.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
...purple monkey dishwasher

This crap is so rediculous. Everything I've read says Drury and Torts are on the same page. I can't wait till Drury has a great year and shuts everyone up.

Hopefully
Hopefully is right! LOL

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Celestial Black

Drury to Colorado

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
LamoTheKid

Nothing wrong with opposing personalities in the locker room. I think of Drury as the yin to Tort's yang. The difference is, if he pisses of Torts, he'll bench him without thinking twice as opposed to Renney who would probably just allow it to happen.

I think too much is being made of this.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

lol

at some of the posts here. Geeez.

How is Tortorella going to have the players playing for him if his purpose is to "run them out of town" at the start of the season?

Last time I checked WINNING was important to an NHL coach...

wow.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:20 AM
bubba5

It like this, if the Rangers win games this year, everybody will be happy, if they lose, there will be doghouses, fingerpointing, etc. So as long as the win, everybody will be happy!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:22 AM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Here we go Torts is starting the riff in the locker room. Torts is going to have issues and divide this team he is known for this. He ran very popular players out of town already and trust me I am no fan of the captain but this is Torts at his best he is a a known ******* and bully and know it starts in NY.
Very popular players? Prucha? Is that what this reference is to? Betts? Mara? Come on.

Sure they were popular but they also sucked. Which is kinda important. I dont think we should be angry that Torts "ran" a 3rd line grinder, a 4th line defensive center and a 6th defenseman out of town.

Stop complaining just to complain. Its old and tired.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Drury was known to be furious after one of Tortorellas beat up practice sessions late in the preseason, "this is fcking ridiculous!" slamming his stick as getting off the ice.

Supposedly Torts is still kicking their ass in practice... good thing yes.. in moderation. If he over does it.. The team A will hate him or B will be so worn out and useless midway thru the season, both physically and mentally. When you take the fun out of hockey... players lose something. But anyway... I'm sure Drury and Torts will clash just as much as anyone else on the team will clash with torts.

SIDE NOTE: Gomez was the big mutineer against Renney last season... and Mr. Drury had a part in it as well. Just some food for thought.
Yeah you might want to back that up with something.

Writers would have commented on Drury flipping out like that. ANd Drury will get stripped of the C if he actually causes a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Very popular players? Prucha? Is that what this reference is to? Betts? Mara? Come on.
Probably means Orr and Mara or something

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I think there's more tension on this board than in the Rangers lockerroom. Drury pisses me off, but their different views on the banner going up are benign.

Just off topic, why does Drury always sound like he's whining and down in the dumps? I feel like even interviewing him during happy moments he still is the same way.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
OverTheCap

Wow, people around here sure love to read too much into things to advance their own agenda. It's a good thing we aren't journalists.

Torts thinks watching the banner ceremony will serve as a motivating force, Drury says that opening night should be enough of a motivation and the team is aware of what the Penguins accomplished. Both are valid opinions and I don't think Torts nor Drury is losing much sleep over this.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:31 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

if capt cash doesnt step up this year and score some goals, hell be in the same boat as rozy and redden. underperforming players who cannot justify insane contracts.

again, for this team to be successful this year, we need our highest paid players to not suk. simple.

if dru has say only 1 goal the first 10 games, i think he will have a big red bullseye on his back on this board.

it may not be fair, but people expect alot out of the team captain and playing quiet unproductive hockey again for drury wont get it done this season.

he needs to step up bigtime and lead

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post

Or maybe try and back that up with somethig of substance as well. Tom Renney never seemeed to have a bad thing to say about Chris Drury at all. Never even heard an inkling of that.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if capt cash doesnt step up this year and score some goals, hell be in the same boat as rozy and redden. underperforming players who cannot justify insane contracts.

again, for this team to be successful this year, we need our highest paid players to not suk. simple.

if dru has say only 1 goal the first 10 games, i think he will have a big red bullseye on his back on this board.

it may not be fair, but people expect alot out of the team captain and playing quiet unproductive hockey again for drury wont get it done this season.

he needs to step up bigtime and lead
Drury's production actually hasn't been bad for what he is. A little low, but then again the team was pretty low on the offense in general last year.

He's not completely bombing out or anything

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Kaktus*

Players playing under Trots must have a very thick skin. If not, look out.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:41 AM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Yeah you might want to back that up with something.

Writers would have commented on Drury flipping out like that. ANd Drury will get stripped of the C if he actually causes a problem
A) I don't have to back up anything. And I won't to protect my source.
B) He will not get stripped of his C for being angry.
and
Quote:
Or maybe try and back that up with somethig of substance as well. Tom Renney never seemeed to have a bad thing to say about Chris Drury at all. Never even heard an inkling of that.
C) Just hear say from a WHILE ago, I have nothing to back it up.

For everyone who is obsessed with written back up... you don't have to read and take what i say as true. I have a source close to the team and locker room. So everything I hear is verbal. Plus, none of which of what I said is a big deal.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

There be lots of haters on this board

Meh, some people will always hate Drury, Brashear, Redden, Rosy and most of that is personal bias. Theres been times i've cursed al those guys out, but they play for my team so I let it go and hope they improve. If you can't see the value in these players or can't get yourself to root for your own team then maybe you should just keep the selfish comments to yourself.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Here we go Torts is starting the riff in the locker room. Torts is going to have issues and divide this team he is known for this. He ran very popular players out of town already and trust me I am no fan of the captain but this is Torts at his best he is a a known ******* and bully and know it starts in NY.
To which I say, win and I could care less.

Win, and you can make everyone and their mothers un-happy.

This team has been to "happy" or content or whatever you want to call it and they have had varying degrees of success. Not as much as they should have had.

Maybe an abbrasive coach is what the doctor ordered.

Will he wear out his welcome faster than Renney did? Well, that will totally depend on the W's and L's

However, after what we have gone through, I'm more than willing to give Tprts the benefit of the doubt this year and next.

If players are a wee bit un-happy, tough cookies.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:46 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Drury's production actually hasn't been bad for what he is. A little low, but then again the team was pretty low on the offense in general last year.

He's not completely bombing out or anything
well i agree. i wasnt saying hes been a failure at all. i happen to be a drury supporter. his production has been solid and hes a dependable 2 way forward no matter what hes like off the ice. hes over paid but hes still got game.

he needs to have a good year this year and lead the team on the ice. hes a quiet reserved guy, thats not a bad thing when torts is your coach, but production is key for the captain. he needs to produce 25 goals.

if he starts slow and the team struggles early on, with his laid back demeanor, hell be torn to shreds on here.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:53 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Didn't Keenan try to trade Leetch for Chelios?
It's called motivation...and it worked.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
It's called motivation...and it worked.
It could also have been called 'Neil Smith said no'.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:57 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Like elite enforcer Orr?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:58 AM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
[/I][/B]

This quote from Chris was posted around here quite a bit after Tom was fired. Whether or not Chris was actively petitioning within the organization for Tom to be fired or not, he certainly didn't disagree with the decision. Also, it wouldn't be congruent with Tom's personality to speak poorly publicly of anyone, so there definitely wouldn't be any quotes from Tom regarding the inner workings of his clubhouse in his final days as head coach.

Quote:
"Certainly we needed something just to get us to play better," captain Chris Drury said. "Whether it's a different personality, a different voice, a different system, or a combination, but technically it might help us to try a different approach."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...5PZunlrORWjEHN

Last edited by D713B: 10-02-2009 at 10:07 AM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
[/I][/B]

Well, there was this tidbit from Fischler...

Quote:
Q: With the new offensive system being applied, do you feel that Chris Drury will have a better year, when comparing it to last season?

A: I will tell you one thing about Drury, I talked to him in good length the other day, and nobody on the Rangers is going to be more pumped to succeed than Drury. He is going to have a terrific year in every way, and he will dedicate himself to the system. I donít know what went wrong, precisely, between Drury and the coach [Renney], but it didnít work, and all you had to do is read between the lines. When Renney left, he commented negatively about Drury and his leadership, and that burned Drury. Drury is going to come back and be very effective.
http://www.rangerstribune.com/2009/0...alks-2009.html

I'm not really sure of the details, but there seemed to be some issues between Drury and Renney.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
It could also have been called 'Neil Smith said no'.
Very true, an I'm not denying that it couldn't have been either...but I was watching Miracle on the train this morning..and seeing the way Brooks pushed thoses guys and made threats to cut them...most of the time to try and motivate them to give him their very best, it makes you think, their might be a method to the madness!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote