HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr in no rush to sign contract extension

Old
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Jagr in no rush to sign contract extension

actually the translation is more like "hesitating"...

The President of the Omsk team says he would like to have it done before December.
Jagr says he is not clear about what he intends to do. Wait til season's end and see what the options are. Jagr is playing on a point per game pace this year.

It also says that the playing conditions in Omsk are some of the best. Its a bit far from everywhere but Jagr is dealing with it. the regional governor loves hockey and loves having Jagr on the team.

The amounts are kept secret but rumoured to be 7 million / year under the current deal.

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?view=clanek&id=44953

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:57 AM
TheRedressor

That is around 7 million tax free. If Jagr is looking for another payday, then re-sign in Omsk. The max I could see him getting is a one year bonus laden contract that could max out around 6 million USD per season.

Would love to have him on the Rangers again, but his conditioning was beginning to fade in terms of foot speed. Not sure if he would be willing to endure a Tortorella training camp next season.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:41 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
That is around 7 million tax free. If Jagr is looking for another payday, then re-sign in Omsk. The max I could see him getting is a one year bonus laden contract that could max out around 6 million USD per season.

Would love to have him on the Rangers again, but his conditioning was beginning to fade in terms of foot speed. Not sure if he would be willing to endure a Tortorella training camp next season.
Gaborik was excused from the camp. They could find the similar bogus reason for JJ. Camp is not for elite players no matter what is being made out of it. To say Jagr is no longer elite is preposterous.

I think Sather add a few Czechs to the team for the reason, although it would be a pure speculation on my part. That is may be because I want Jagr back.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Gaborik was excused from the camp. They could find the similar bogus reason for JJ. Camp is not for elite players no matter what is being made out of it. To say Jagr is no longer elite is preposterous.

I think Sather add a few Czechs to the team for the reason, although it would be a pure speculation on my part. That is may be because I want Jagr back.
Ha, let's just say Jagr can still play. Instead of the elite puck possessing dynamo, he'd become a very skilled power forward with okay skating. That's still not a bad thing. At the general skating skill Jagr has come to now, is probably what executives hope a budding power forward prospect could get to.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

Gaborik was working hard getting ready for this year before he even signed with the rangers. He showed up and tweaked his groin a little. He did not sit out all of the conditioning. And if a guy with a history of groin problems tweaks his groin and he's your superstar forward, you dont force him to do hard conditioning for preseason games.

Jagr would have to get in shape and as a veteran and past leader of the squad he'd be obligated to be out there otherwise it would look very bad to the rest of the team. Sather and Torts knows that, so if sather signed him it would be with knowing that jagr is willing to make the commitment. Jagr has matured over the years and he knows it wouldnt look good to be exempt for camp.

And who's saying Jagr isnt elite anymore?

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Dude, he's like 39... he's not elite anymore. Bringing him back will be much more trouble than anything. Also, I can't see him returning to the Rangers. We're in no position to win anything as it is. In fact, this year could easily be a rebuilding year when all is said and done

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I'm saying it.

Very good still? Probably

He was elite when he left the NHL, but, understandably, that elite-ness started fading with his age and that's not only fine, but expected.

2 years away from the speed and flow of the NHL and I'd have a hard time stating that he was still an elite player.

The problem is that I would not want him to come in and be that dominating presense he was when he first left.

I'd want him to come in here and be more of a supporting player in the secondary sense of the word.

It's not so much the player it's more the age of the player that I am not confident in.

Old players get older, young players get better.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

At this point he's ALWAYS going to make more $$$ in the KHL. So if he comes back to the NHL it's for the Glory not the money.

Is he still with the same fiance', did they marry? Supposedly she loved living in NY, as did JJ....

Ultimately, he should come back and sign with Pittsburgh. Its his best shot at winning another cup, redeeming himself with the Pitt franchise , and getting his number retired.

10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
At this point he's ALWAYS going to make more $$$ in the KHL. So if he comes back to the NHL it's for the Glory not the money.

Is he still with the same fiance', did they marry? Supposedly she loved living in NY, as did JJ....

Ultimately, he should come back and sign with Pittsburgh. Its his best shot at winning another cup, redeeming himself with the Pitt franchise , and getting his number retired.
Imo, if Jagr ever returns to NY it will be after he retires - to live here.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post

At the World's he looked sluggish. Not sure he would/could take the punishment once again.....

but then again he could and would put up north of 65points

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Jagr and Gaborik on the same team would be ridiculous. Now if only both didn't play RW...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Jagr and Gaborik on the same team would be ridiculous. Now if only both didn't play RW...
Gabby has been dual position in fantasy leagues...not sure where that comes from but he must have played some LW in Minny

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Imo, if Jagr ever returns to NY it will be after he retires - to live here.

I agree....

I dunno guys re-evaluate to keep playing. Its hard to give up the play when your time has come. Would Jagr ever be OK playing onthe third line? Hard to imagine. But if he played in Pitts theres a lot of other upside to the situation there. There PP would just be devastingly good. You'd think so anyway

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:45 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
At the World's he looked sluggish. Not sure he would/could take the punishment once again.....

but then again he could and would put up north of 65points

Highly debatable.

Was just over a point a game in a league in which he was outscored by Kevin Dallman?

This may tweak some people, but that league is a complete joke.

Brendl scored 35 goals. Think he can make a go of it here?

How about Morozov? He already was here and was a medicore player.

Knowing that Jagr is a Hall of Famer here in the states, I could see him being a ver solid player, I just have a hard time believing that he would come in here and post 3 points out of every 4 games.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:03 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Highly debatable.

Was just over a point a game in a league in which he was outscored by Kevin Dallman?

Where did you get that? Do you follow KHL? I am not contesting it, just curious of your source.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:09 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Where did you get that? Do you follow KHL? I am not contesting it, just curious of your source.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/t...9&leaguenm=KHL

Shows a breakdown in leaders in terms of Goals / Assists / Points / PIM's

Old
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Gabby has been dual position in fantasy leagues...not sure where that comes from but he must have played some LW in Minny
man, imagine that..
Gabby-Dubs-Jagr

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Highly debatable.

Brendl scored 35 goals. Think he can make a go of it here?

How about Morozov? He already was here and was a medicore player.

I'm going to crawl out on a limb and say that I bet you have never watched a complete KHL game. Almost definitely not in person, doubtful on TV.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:12 PM
allstar3970

....waiting for the 1st person to say they want him as a "mentor" for the young players

I really do think Jagr can still contribute at the NHL level, with the right players around him. He can't carry a team anymore obviously.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I'm going to crawl out on a limb and say that I bet you have never watched a complete KHL game. Almost definitely not in person, doubtful on TV.
Do I really need to see for myself? Or can I make an educated judgement by the leader boards how serious that league is.

Now, if the leader board was full of names I have never seen before I'd be reluctant to label it a joke, but when you see the likes of Brendl, Dallman, Morozov and Perezhogin in the top 10 in scoring, I think that says all I need for it to say for me to come to my conclusion.

Again, it's my opinion, but based who's leading the league, I think it's a fair assessment.

Old
10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
TheRedressor

Anyone, and I mean anyone who doesn't think Jagr is an elite player is out of there mind. His game in itself makes him elite. We all saw him dog it through the regular season in 07-08 only to turn it on and be leading the league in points when the Rangers got knocked out.

Heck having him on this team would immediately make this team a contender. Defenses would automatically focus on JJ and create favorable matchups for players like Gaborik. Heck it is no coincidence Scott Gomez scored 70 points during his first season in NY when he wasn't the central focus of the defense.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:57 PM
squishy

Quote:
Do I really need to see for myself? Or can I make an educated judgement by the leader boards how serious that league is.

Now, if the leader board was full of names I have never seen before I'd be reluctant to label it a joke, but when you see the likes of Brendl, Dallman, Morozov and Perezhogin in the top 10 in scoring, I think that says all I need for it to say for me to come to my conclusion.

Again, it's my opinion, but based who's leading the league, I think it's a fair assessment.
It's not a fair assessment because it doesn't take into account the fact that the games are played on a larger ice surface, where players like Brendl and Morozov, who have elite skills but struggle to play in traffic, have more time and space to be creative.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:43 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
It's not a fair assessment because it doesn't take into account the fact that the games are played on a larger ice surface, where players like Brendl and Morozov, who have elite skills but struggle to play in traffic, have more time and space to be creative.
Fair point, and in Morozov's case, I could see that, but in Brendl's case? I don't buy it.

Larger ice surfaces lend themselves to better skaters which happens to be Brendl's waekness (along with Krispy Kreme's)

Overall you have a valid point.

Still, the best players are going to be the best players regardless of ice surface. Sid and Malkin and AO and those guys here would still be atop the leader board in every offensive catagory regardless of ice surface.

So if the cream is always going to rise, then this tells me that this is the cream of the KHL crop which then advances my opinion that it's not really a good league.

Old
10-02-2009, 03:31 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Gaborik was working hard getting ready for this year before he even signed with the rangers. He showed up and tweaked his groin a little. He did not sit out all of the conditioning. And if a guy with a history of groin problems tweaks his groin and he's your superstar forward, you dont force him to do hard conditioning for preseason games.

Jagr would have to get in shape and as a veteran and past leader of the squad he'd be obligated to be out there otherwise it would look very bad to the rest of the team. Sather and Torts knows that, so if sather signed him it would be with knowing that jagr is willing to make the commitment. Jagr has matured over the years and he knows it wouldnt look good to be exempt for camp.

Jags is supposedly in the best shape he has been in in years. His body weight is down from what it was his last year in the NHL. The KHL is a fast skating league. His physical conditioning wont be a problem for him if/when he returns to the NHL.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:33 PM
TylerDurden

We need Sather to go over and "talk" and go out to lunch with Jagr like the guy from Omsk did.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote