HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Empty Platinum seats - Now I Get It

Old
10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
EazyB97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I was second row, south end, where were you? (Johnny Wayne of Wayne and Shuster fame had the seats right in front of me.)

Re corridors, the best venue by far I have attended was Tampa' Bays.
We were inbetween the red line and blue line behind the Visitor Penalty box. 12 rows up on the aisle. I miss those seats.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:38 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
We were inbetween the red line and blue line behind the Visitor Penalty box. 12 rows up on the aisle. I miss those seats.

I miss MLG in general. Ex stadium too for that matter. I still got the Ivor though

EDIT: oh and the St. Mikes Arena

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
You can go to Suites with a platinum seat? How much for food in those?

I got to go to a suite a couple weeks back at GM place Sweden Vs Canada and I wouldn't dare pay for food in those >_>
Not all platinums. If you are in one of them food and beverage are included. It's a sweet situation.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:50 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Re children, what do you expect? Someone buys a pair of Platninums for $500.00 to take a six year old to a game???? Come on, take a look around about the pictures at MLG, did you see many kids in the box seats. Nothing new here, been going for 75 years. Most, and I hate this term, "real fans", first game at MLG was in the greys or standing room.

But you are absolutely right with your comment about not letting you return to your seat once the play has started, what people do not realize that there is a line-up of folks waiting in the hallway to get back in.

By the way why does everyone pick on Platninum seat holders, why not Lord Stanleys Mug, or the Air Canada Club or the Original Six Bar or the Hot Stove Lounge? None of the aforementioned cater to the Platninums and all venues are busy when the game is in progress !!! Point is, it is not just the Plantinum folks that enjoy a good looking hostess, a fine glass of wine or beer and a mess of food and as a result miss the start of each period. That does not make us not "real fans" !!!
Ignorance mostly. If any had the opportunity to experience it (like the OP) they would quickly cease the whining.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:51 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
Ignorance mostly. If any had the opportunity to experience it (like the OP) they would quickly cease the whining.
I dont think its "platnium folk" in general, i think its more the suits who are just there just because they can.

I could be wrong though

Old
10-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Drewser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
I was at the game last night sitting two rows behind the Habs bench in the Platinums. Watching the game on TV, it would always drive me crazy seeing all the empty seats in the Platinums at the beginning of each period. Now I get it.

For those of you who have never had a chance to sit in a box, between periods you can go to a suite under the stands and enjoy a beer and wings etc normally hosted by an attractive hostess. It's easy to lose track of time in there, but you can always here the horn blow signalling the start of a new period. Anyway, once I heard the horn I tried to get back to my seat right away. On my way back we were held up by the Hab players walking back on to the ice right in front of us (kind of like waiting for a train). Apparently they get back on the ice just in time for the face-off, because by the time we walked another 15 steps, the puck had dropped and the staff would not allow us to get back to our seat until the next stoppage in play. A long line-up began to form in the hallway.
All the suites have a channel on their TVs that broadcasts a shot of the scoreboard and how much time is remaining before the period starts... really no excuse to not make it up two minutes before the puck drops. It wasn't just a platinum issue last night though, I've never seen more reds/golds empty to start a period as I did in the 2nd/3rd last night, the building seemed half full!

Drewser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
Not all platinums. If you are in one of them food and beverage are included. It's a sweet situation.
Trust me someone is paying, it ain't free !!!

I realize to the patron it may appear free but the owner of the lounge is getting dinged.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I dont think its "platnium folk" in general, i think its more the suits who are just there just because they can.

I could be wrong though
What exactly is a suit anyway. This sounds as lame as people who think "real fans" only sit in the second bowl ??

Old
10-02-2009, 01:18 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
What exactly is a suit anyway. This sounds as lame as people who think "real fans" only sit in the second bowl ??
Someone who goes to a game in a suit who really has no interest in the Leafs but it is the place to be to show how important you are.

Im not saying "real fans" sit in any specific section BUT there is a hell of a lot of "not fans" in the plats by way of business.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I went to get a burke dog during the second intermission, but was told by staff to avoid it if I wanted to watch the third period. Just have to get one next time.
That because of the line-up to get it, or the line-up to go to the bathroom after eating it?

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Someone who goes to a game in a suit who really has no interest in the Leafs but it is the place to be to show how important you are.

Im not saying "real fans" sit in any specific section BUT there is a hell of a lot of "not fans" in the plats by way of business.
... I think you'll find that while a lot of people are there because of business connections, that doesn't mean they aren't fans of the game, and possibly the team as well.

I know when I was working downtown, I went to more than a few games in my suit, straight from work in the financial sector. Mind you, I wasn't sitting in the platinums because I was paying my own way.

The clothes and the ticket do not make the fan.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:35 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
... I think you'll find that while a lot of people are there because of business connections, that doesn't mean they aren't fans of the game, and possibly the team as well.

I know when I was working downtown, I went to more than a few games in my suit, straight from work in the financial sector. Mind you, I wasn't sitting in the platinums because I was paying my own way.

The clothes and the ticket do not make the fan.
And there are also alot that are fans of neither. Its a status symbol.

Im aware of that, i pretty much said that in the post you quoted.

Once again, im not saying "real fans" sit in any specific section.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:36 PM
stealth1

Its not like it matters how long it takes for people sitting in those seats to get back in them in time for the period to start. Its not like many of them make any noise anyways. The ACC is the quietest arena of all the Canadian teams. I think they need to limit how many suits are allowed to buy tickets. Then again that will never happen as MLSE is all about the profit anyways.

stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
And there are also alot that are fans of neither. Its a status symbol.
To the extent that's true, it's also true of any public event - sports or otherwise. Certain people who consider themselves "movers and shakers" go to these things to be seen. Box seats at the Opera, for example. Don't see Toronto as being a special case.

What I *do* see as a difference is the fans' attitude/behaviour. We're just a little more laid back (or uptight) or perhaps focused on the play, and so not usually as boisterous as fans in some other cities. We need a song, something people can sing, that speaks of their love for the blue and white.

It would be brilliant to see the ACC doing something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

(Sorry, can never figure out how to imbed these)

Old
10-02-2009, 01:44 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
To the extent that's true, it's also true of any public event - sports or otherwise. Certain people who consider themselves "movers and shakers" go to these things to be seen. Box seats at the Opera, for example. Don't see Toronto as being a special case.

What I *do* see as a difference is the fans' attitude/behaviour. We're just a little more laid back (or uptight) or perhaps focused on the play, and so not usually as boisterous as fans in some other cities. We need a song, something people can sing, that speaks of their love for the blue and white.

It would be brilliant to see the ACC doing something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

(Sorry, can never figure out how to imbed these)

Yes, but with the Leafs its much more prevalent.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Yes, but with the Leafs its much more prevalent.
I'm not 100% convinced of that, but again, to the extent that's true, it's merely a function of Toronto being the nation's center of business. I suspect you'll find similar trends in New York, Chicago and LA.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:49 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I'm not 100% convinced of that, but again, to the extent that's true, it's merely a function of Toronto being the nation's center of business. I suspect you'll find similar trends in New York, Chicago and LA.
This 100% true, with basketball.

Toronto is the "franchise" of Ontario. The Plats is the scene in which to be seen.

Old
10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Hurt

I can't afford Platinums

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Also depends on the nature of the company. For example, if I'm with business colleagues or people I'm not that familiar with, I'm not going to go bat**** insane unless I KNOW they will. It's just one of those things.

Quote:
The hockey crowd is. The basketball crowd, particularly in the playoffs, is ludicrously loud. TFC has pretty insane crowds etc. Not sure what the explanation for the discrepancy is.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Platapie

Quote:
This 100% true, with basketball.

Toronto is the "franchise" of Ontario. The Plats is the scene in which to be seen.

Heh, reminds me of the Courtside seats during Laker games. So quiet you could probably sleep.

Old
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
Its not like it matters how long it takes for people sitting in those seats to get back in them in time for the period to start. Its not like many of them make any noise anyways. The ACC is the quietest arena of all the Canadian teams. I think they need to limit how many suits are allowed to buy tickets. Then again that will never happen as MLSE is all about the profit anyways.
This may be the dumbest postsI have read in quite awhile. As for the ACC being quiet, after missing the play-offs 4 years in a row what do you expect? Last time I checked the players are paid to entertain us not the other way around! The ACC rocked when we were in the play-offs a few years ago. Of course MLSE is all about profits, name one NHL team that isn't?

The only thing I know that the smallest crowd at the ACC for any of the 5 exhibition games played there this year was the Fan Free game. Where were all the so-called "real fans" for that one ???

Last edited by The Messenger: 10-02-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old
10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
This may be the dumbest postsI have read in quite awhile. As for the ACC being quiet, after missing the play-offs 4 years in a row what do you expect? Last time I checked the players are paid to entertain us not the other way around! The ACC rocked when we were in the play-offs a few years ago. Of course MLSE is all about profits, name one NHL team that isn't?

The only thing I know that the smallest crowd at the ACC for any of the 5 exhibition games played there this year was the Fan Free game. Where were all the so-called "real fans" for that one ???
This has been proven that when something is "free" people dont place value on it.

Noone would go to a "free" shrink.

Old
10-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Platapie

Quote:

While his comment is indeed stupid, the ACC IS a quiet hockey venue compared to many others. Suits is a euphemism for people that are there for the business, not the sport/entertainment. There ARE a lot of those people, and while exceptions exist, such as yourself, it's somewhat depressing that it's not a very loud building, because we live in a very passionate city for hockey, so it, by all rights, SHOULD be.

There are also the people that whine about the price and aren't willing to sacrifice any of their cash to go to a game, and I agree with you full heartedly that they should ****.

Old
10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
DuklaNation

It seems to me that they stay empty long after repeated stoppages in play. Lets face it, lots of those seats are taken by people that are just there for the atmosphere and to fill their schedule up rather than as true hockey fans.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Ratboy
Leonardo

When I go to a game I don't leave my seat unless I'm dying of thirst or am about to crap my pants.

My point is, every Leafs game is something you should enjoy (at least watch). Sit in your seat and watch the game as much as you can, that's the point of going, isn't it?

I'm lucky if I get to see one game a year. I assume most people sitting in the platinums are either season ticket holders or have access to corporate seats a few times a year.

Last edited by Ratboy: 10-02-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote