HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs swtich lineup for Caps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
  #26
JimHalpert
 
JimHalpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
Nah...we'll just wait until Toskala all but has the season lost in order to justify him losing the #1 to Gustavsson...
and gustavsson 37 save performance in the preseason will absolutely turn this team around...

JimHalpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
  #27
TheOtherSide
Registered User
 
TheOtherSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHalpert View Post
and gustavsson 37 save performance in the preseason will absolutely turn this team around...
I never said it would...but

Toskala hasn't looked much better than last season so far, and I am aware that the season just started, but he was outplayed by both Macdonald and the 3 periods that Monster played in the pre-season...so if I were a betting man I would have to say that Jonas wouldn't bring the team down even if he isn't great...

TheOtherSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:27 PM
  #28
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Ian White was Ian White, average at best defensively when he has a strong game, terrifying defensively when he's off his game. And in either scenario, a turn over machine.
Turnover machine, eh?

2008-09:

1) Schenn: 1.06gv/g
2) VanRyn: 1.00gv/g
3) Finger: 0.83gv/g
4) Kaberle: 0.83gv/g
5) White: 0.76gv/g
6) Kubina: 0.62gv/g

Those are the 6 dmen that got real minutes last year - and White got more minutes than any of them aside from kaberle.

White also led our D in +/-, despite playing more minutes than the rest.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:27 PM
  #29
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,037
vCash: 500
are you guys serious???

Mayers>>>>>>Rosehill

our 4th line was useless last night.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
  #30
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Turnover machine, eh?

2008-09:

1) Schenn: 1.06gv/g
2) VanRyn: 1.00gv/g
3) Finger: 0.83gv/g
4) Kaberle: 0.83gv/g
5) White: 0.76gv/g
6) Kubina: 0.62gv/g

Those are the 6 dmen that got real minutes last year - and White got more minutes than any of them aside from kaberle.

White also led our D in +/-, despite playing more minutes than the rest.
Yes, turn over machine. Stats be damned, he makes bad turnovers at bad times. He scares me with the puck in our zone, always has, always will, I suspect.

You like him as much as I dislike him Zeke, neither one of us will convince the other otherwise.

__________________
bWo: If you don't know, you should know... Buds WORLD Order Constitution
Adj: "Squiffy" - stupefied by a chemical substance (esp. alcohol)

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:39 PM
  #31
Acekicker123
Registered User
 
Acekicker123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Yes, turn over machine. Stats be damned, he makes bad turnovers at bad times. He scares me with the puck in our zone, always has, always will, I suspect.

You like him as much as I dislike him Zeke, neither one of us will convince the other otherwise.
Generally speaking, White's turnovers appear worse because he's a puckmover and it'll usually from intercepted passes.

Whereas the defensive guys going into the corners and getting stripped isn't as intuitively "wow, that was a horrific giveaway".

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:41 PM
  #32
LeafSadist
Registered User
 
LeafSadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,836
vCash: 729
Kaberle was the only solid defenseman last night. Schenn, Beauchemin, White and Exelby coughed the puck up quite a bit and Komisarek was too busy trying to get back at the Habs.

Finger gets a lot of flack because of his contract, but he's not bad. Better than Exelby anyways, and Mayers will be lucky if he gets 10 minutes of ice time so no real change there.

LeafSadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
  #33
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,085
vCash: 500
Why is everyone so mad that Mayers is going to be in the lineup over Rosehill? Mayers is a veteran who is much, much (and i can't stress it enough, much better than Rosehill. Last night our 4th line was awful. They only played about 3 minutes each, and I doubt they even played that much. Mayers will give us more flexibility and another guy on the PK. He brings us energy and way more skill than a guy like Rosehill.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
  #34
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Finger and Exelby on defence, Boudreau will be looking out for that pairing with much anticipation.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
  #35
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,637
vCash: 500
Exelby should sit, White played a pretty good game...i like Mayers in against the Caps as well.

He brings solid leadership and PK against probably best best team in the East.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
  #36
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafSadist View Post
Kaberle was the only solid defenseman last night. Schenn, Beauchemin, White and Exelby coughed the puck up quite a bit and Komisarek was too busy trying to get back at the Habs.

Finger gets a lot of flack because of his contract, but he's not bad. Better than Exelby anyways, and Mayers will be lucky if he gets 10 minutes of ice time so no real change there.
I 110% agree.

IMO Schenn looked really bad last night.

However, Komisarek was a beast....but like you said, he was just out to get his former team.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:52 PM
  #37
TOG26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedBlueAndWhite View Post
Wow Why WTf...Mayers ..Rosehill had a decent game. Finger for Exelby Thats a good move I didnt really like XLB game last night.
Rosehill had a fight. Then spent almost the entire rest of the game on the bench. Not to mention montreal scored in the very minimal time he was on the ice. Did he do a good job fighting? Yes. Did he do anything to help the team? No. Mayers isn't my favorite, but he can at least do more on the ice.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
  #38
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Yes, turn over machine. Stats be damned, he makes bad turnovers at bad times. He scares me with the puck in our zone, always has, always will, I suspect.

You like him as much as I dislike him Zeke, neither one of us will convince the other otherwise.
NHL stats department tend to agree with you Squiffy..

Ian White was credited with 5 give-aways yesterday and is tied with his former defense partner Hal Gill for the most in the entire NHL.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

The only reason Exelby will be out instead of White will be that we are playing offensive powerhouse Washington and Leafs will be expected to be playing from behind most of the night on the scoreboard and White can add some offense.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 05:11 PM
  #39
beleaf101
Registered User
 
beleaf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Rosehill and his 2.13 of ice time and got scored on enough said. Get somebody in who can log some ice time.

beleaf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
  #40
shaner89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 14,285
vCash: 500
The next person who says Mayers should be playing because hes a vet and great on the PK.

Wake the **** up. Mayers was a peice of **** whole was a huge contributer to the WORST PENALTY KILL IN THE ENTIRE NHL LAST YR.

Ya Mayers is real useful.... Give your heads a shake

He sucks. period.

I like Finger in over Exelby thou. Good move

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 05:41 PM
  #41
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Generally speaking, White's turnovers appear worse because he's a puckmover and it'll usually from intercepted passes.

Whereas the defensive guys going into the corners and getting stripped isn't as intuitively "wow, that was a horrific giveaway".
One of his turnovers White hustled afterwards and got the puck back, still a turnover I guess.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:07 PM
  #42
Larcos_Unal
Registered User
 
Larcos_Unal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Argentina
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
mayers is strong on the pk, that's our biggest weakness not goonery. we've got that aspect covered.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:29 PM
  #43
stoney
Registered User
 
stoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
I fail to see how Toskala shouldn't start? He didn't let in any weak goals. Moen's goal wasn't great, but considering he had a half hour to take shots on the puck without and D-men around, that's hardly Vesa's fault. The other 3 goals, come on.

Bottom line, Carey Price stole the game for them. Vesa gets a shot tomorrow and we will really see what he's got in net against a powerhouse.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
  #44
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Thank goodness.

You can't have a 4th line that can't play more than 2 minutes per game.

And Exelby was utter garbage.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:36 PM
  #45
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The only reason Exelby will be out instead of White will be that we are playing offensive powerhouse Washington and Leafs will be expected to be playing from behind most of the night on the scoreboard and White can add some offense.
No, the only reason Exelby is out is that we have people running the club who obviously don't make personnel moves based on covering up their own previous bad moves. Thank goodness for that.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:40 PM
  #46
Zardoz
Registered User
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
The next person who says Mayers should be playing because hes a vet and great on the PK.

Wake the **** up. Mayers was a peice of **** whole was a huge contributer to the WORST PENALTY KILL IN THE ENTIRE NHL LAST YR.

Ya Mayers is real useful.... Give your heads a shake

He sucks. period.

I like Finger in over Exelby thou. Good move

you need to calm down.

ps: Mayers is wicked awesome on the PK...

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:41 PM
  #47
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Finger and Exelby on defence, Boudreau will be looking out for that pairing with much anticipation.
Ovechkin 1 on 2 on those two, I'll bet on Ovechkin.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:43 PM
  #48
LTL
Registered User
 
LTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.T
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeker17 View Post
Forward Jamal Mayers and defenceman Jeff Finger will be added to the lineup Saturday night when the Maple Leafs take on the Capitals in Washington.

Mayers will replace Jay Rosehill on the fourth line while it is likely that Ian White will sit out on defence.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../11255416.html
How could White be swapped out when he's a top four defenceman?


LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
  #49
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
How could White be swapped out when he's a top four defenceman?

He has been since last season (including last season since I need to add that now), I don't get the sarcasm thing.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
  #50
LTL
Registered User
 
LTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.T
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,288
vCash: 500
So the defence tomorrow will be:

Kommy, Kaberle, Schenn, Beauch, FInger, Exelby?

Thats sounds familiar.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.