HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs swtich lineup for Caps

Old
10-02-2009, 07:48 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
The next person who says Mayers should be playing because hes a vet and great on the PK.

Wake the **** up. Mayers was a peice of **** whole was a huge contributer to the WORST PENALTY KILL IN THE ENTIRE NHL LAST YR.

Ya Mayers is real useful.... Give your heads a shake

He sucks. period.

I like Finger in over Exelby thou. Good move
Well Mayers is definately not as bad as you're making him out to be. He was not played in a role he was used to last year and was expected to be an enforcer, which he is not. He is a very solid 4th liner who is fast, brings grit into the lineup, and can play more than 2 minutes in a game. Also, lets not forget he played on team Canada 2 years ago...but yeah he sucks.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:50 PM
embracedbias

It makes sense that Finger and XLB are switched off against dynamic offensive teams. XLB is useful for instilling fear in the heart of the opposition (for everything else, he's pretty close to useless). Finger is better defensively - and is certainly much less of a liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Are they gonna sit White who played 25 minutes last night, or are they going to sit Exelby who played 9?

I'm guessing the latter.
If Exelby plays over White tomorrow, I will eat my hat. Literally.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:51 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
So the defence tomorrow will be:

Kommy, Kaberle, Schenn, Beauch, FInger, White?

Thats sounds familiar.
Think again...

Exelby can practice his puck handling in the hallway.

At Ricoh.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:53 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
It makes sense that Finger and XLB are switched off against dynamic offensive teams. XLB is useful for instilling fear in the heart of the opposition (for everything else, he's pretty close to useless). Finger is better defensively - and is certainly much less of a liability.

If Exelby plays over White tomorrow, I will eat my hat. Literally.
Tell you what I'll eat my hat too... but only figuratively.

XLB plays left side. Finger plays left side. White plays right side. XLB has the puck skills of a Junior B defenseman. Figure it out folks.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerin22 View Post
Mayers over Kulemin
Either let the kid play, send him to the Marlies, or get rid of him(trade or release him)
yeah, I can't believe he's been sitting all these games. make a decision on him already. man, the season is already 2% over. WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR??

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Pierre Gotye

Mayers in? Isn't he about the slowest guy on the team going against one of the fastest and skilled teams in the league? Don't expect to win this one...

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:36 PM
BIG BLUE

Rosehill is tough, but remember...in pre-season, guys who are desperately trying to make a team play over their head...and often their play comes crashing down to reality in the regular season

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Mayers in? Isn't he about the slowest guy on the team going against one of the fastest and skilled teams in the league? Don't expect to win this one...
Mayers isn't slow. He ain't very skilled or gifted with the puck but one thing he can do is skate at an NHL level.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Who cares who is the 12th. forward and 6th. d-man.

I just watched today's highlights and saw goaltending.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:40 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
Rosehill is tough, but remember...in pre-season, guys who are desperately trying to make a team play over their head...and often their play comes crashing down to reality in the regular season
This is true. He skates well enough that I'm thinking with some more hard work in the AHL he can become something a little better than Colton Orr one day. But not yet...

Old
10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The next person who says Mayers should be playing because hes a vet and great on the PK.

Wake the **** up. Mayers was a peice of **** whole was a huge contributer to the WORST PENALTY KILL IN THE ENTIRE NHL LAST YR.

He sucks. period.

Give your own head a shake if you think he was the reason why our PK was bad. He wasn't. He is VERY good on the PK. Blocks shots, positionally sound, and has good speed.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Who cares who is the 12th. forward and 6th. d-man.
Team game. Every player in the lineup counts. If the 4th line doesn't allow that goal against in one of their few shifts, the Leafs win this game in regulation.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Team game. Every player in the lineup counts. If the 4th line doesn't allow that goal against in one of their few shifts, the Leafs win this game in regulation.
I realize if your garbage players can't be on the ice your top 3 lines will be tired by the end of the game.

However, Mayers isn't going to make any discernable improvement over Rosehill.

If you replace Exelby with Finger who cares when your 2nd. pairing stink as badly as Beauchemin and Schenn did.

Furthermore, your PK is only as good as your keeper.

Old
10-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

I don't hate it.

Gusty just needs to get in between the pipes or Tosk has to blow us away

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:08 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
I realize if your garbage players can't be on the ice your top 3 lines will be tired by the end of the game.

However, Mayers isn't going to make any discernable improvement over Rosehill.

If you replace Exelby with Finger who cares when your 2nd. pairing stink as badly as Beauchemin and Schenn did.

Maybe the 2nd pairing can work out their issues while playing less minutes (not that I think Finger is a huge upgrade to XLB). Maybe we won't see Ian White playing out of position on the left side at times and struggling with it.

Mayers is a minor upgrade to the AHL henchman. He can play a shift without messing up simple plays like covering the point or taking a pass on a breakout to the point that the coach isn't afraid to stick his line on the ice (assuming Colton Orr can do these things, I'm not so convinced).

Old
10-02-2009, 09:17 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Maybe the 2nd pairing can work out their issues while playing less minutes (not that I think Finger is a huge upgrade to XLB). Maybe we won't see Ian White playing out of position on the left side at times and struggling with it.

Mayers is a minor upgrade to the AHL henchman. He can play a shift without messing up simple plays like covering the point or taking a pass on a breakout to the point that the coach isn't afraid to stick his line on the ice (assuming Colton Orr can do these things, I'm not so convinced).
Oh, I'm all for Gunnarsson replacing Exelby, you know someone who can actually play defense. I suppose it has to be Finger because he's a one-way contract with big dollars, so I understand it is about entitilement.

Mayers is a vet hanging on and again it isn't like the Leafs have anyone under 30 who can play 4th. line minutes, so sure no problem with another entitled player on the ice.

Old
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Oh, I'm all for Gunnarsson replacing Exelby, you know someone who can actually play defense. I suppose it has to be Finger because he's a one-way contract with big dollars, so I understand it is about entitilement.

Mayers is a vet hanging on and again it isn't like the Leafs have anyone under 30 who can play 4th. line minutes, so sure no problem with another entitled player on the ice.
I don't really disagree with that. If Gunnarsson is better than Finger, Exelby or any eligible choice then I'm all for it. I'm no fan of Finger but Exelby is in another lower quantum state of no skill defender. If Exelby didn't take dangerous, vicious head-hunting runs at opposition players and connect every now and then, he'd be an ECHL defenseman, that's how bad his skills are. Back from another of my XLB tangents, Finger's probably a glorified AHL defenseman and Gunnarsson looked decent, not awesome in the pre-season and we all see how the ramp up from pre-season hockey can leave some pretenders in the lurch. It's probably too early for Gunnarsson but I think it's perfectly reasonable to hope to see him as a regular by the New Year.

As for Mayers, if a young player is better AND (important "and") is suitable for 10 minute per night playing with teammates like Orr and Primeau who are almost assuredly going to suck any trace of offensive creativity from his body, then I'm all for it. Who is that player? Perhaps John Mitchell down from the 3rd line with Kulemin or Bozak into the 3rd line. But that goes counter from Burke's objective of toughening up this team. It isn't my first choice but Mayers, an actual hockey player, in place of a fighter is an upgrade for now and recognition that the 4th line was a colossal failure in the first game.

Old
10-02-2009, 10:14 PM
dybbuk

Quote:
Until the D blow their coverage so poorly that an opposing player gets to stand around in front of net all day.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
dimi78

Quote:

He sucks. period.

Mayers was good enough to represent Canada at numerous worlds he's good enough for the Leafs. Your the 1 who needs to give your head a shake cause clearly your out to lunch when comes to role players and bottom six players which Mayers is a darn good player at that role maybe the best the Leafs have at that role.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 11:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Mayers was good enough to represent Canada at numerous worlds he's good enough for the Leafs. Your the 1 who needs to give your head a shake cause clearly your out to lunch when comes to role players and bottom six players which Mayers is a darn good player at that role maybe the best the Leafs have at that role.
Jay Harrison represented Canada at both the junior and senior level.

Old
10-02-2009, 11:50 PM
GilmourClarkScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Generally speaking, White's turnovers appear worse because he's a puckmover and it'll usually from intercepted passes.

Whereas the defensive guys going into the corners and getting stripped isn't as intuitively "wow, that was a horrific giveaway".
Exactly the way I see it. I love the way White plays. He turned it over a few times but his style of play will never dictate a perfect game. I thought he was pretty dangerous ripping shots from the point at times plus he moves the puck well more often than not. I wish Kaberle shot as much as him. IMO White > Van Ryn (until he can stay healthy) > Finger > XLB

Speaking of turnovers I don't know how many times I saw Hagman try to dipsy-doodle around an incoming checker while he was standing still. He had a good game otherwise but he must know that isn't going to work on many NHLers!

GilmourClarkScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 12:01 AM
TMLeafer
Rebuilding

Mayers is slow?

He's no superstar, but please quit making him seem like the worst player out there. I think we can do with one fighter and give that other spot to someone else.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 12:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmourClarkScores View Post
turnovers
Mmmmm turnovers!!!

Snack time.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:12 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Okay, everyone can stop lying about how good Mayers was last year.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...67586-sun.html

Quote:
"I wasn't happy with my season last year, so anytime that happens you get re-energized and try to find different ways to seek out nutrition advice, and just to tighten everything up," said Mayers, who had 16 points in 71 games last season. That was down 11 points from the previous season.
From the horses mouth.

Now quit making stuff up in support of CF's bad decisions

Old
10-03-2009, 09:16 AM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Okay, everyone can stop lying about how good Mayers was last year.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...67586-sun.html

From the horses mouth.

Now quit making stuff up in support of CF's bad decisions
Someone said Mayers had a good season?

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote