HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones starts off slow....ends with a bang

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Jones starts off slow....ends with a bang

from today's Sun:

http://www.slam.ca/Slam040407/col_jones-sun.html

So it's chuggling along and then, to use one of Pierre sayings "whammo"

_____I'm comfortable with our goaltending now. More than comfortable," said Lowe.

I'm not. I think the Oilers are a first-rate first-string goalie away. They're two top-end talents, neither of which has to be Petr Nedved, away.

They need somebody to coach the power play and they need continued development of their young talent before they can win playoff series___

I was waiting for Lowe to say that 20 teams would love to have Simpson coach their PP. I guess he'll break that one out at a later date.

Like Igor says, the Oilers are in the dark ages using two dmen on the PP. If they quit that foolishness, then maybe even the Hitler Lookalike could earn his money as an asisstant coach. I don't really know how much of an impact Simpson can have either way. Some guys here were impressed he broke down a PP one time while he was an analysist with SN. Big deal. I said Salo was gonna fall apart. Does that mean I get to be GM

In all seriousnes, I don't think this team can win a playoff round either but if the ST were improved, it wouldn't take stand on your head netminding to get out of a first round matchup that has you playing at worst a 3rd seed.

But it's nice to see Jones addressing the Oilers hiring practices, albeit in somewhat of a sideways manner, and also reference the continued development of the young guys. I don't know if that's a veiled reference to the coach that 20 other teams would like to have but it could very well be

Old
04-07-2004, 07:37 PM
ZIM

vCash:
I'm not very concerned about the goaltender comment but the following does get my attention.

"It's like I said to the guys on the team, it feels very weird, very strange. I feel better at the end of the season this year than I did last year and last year we made the playoffs and this year we didn't,''

The future isn't that bright IMO. Nedved may leave and that leaves who, Horcoff?, as the number 1 centre. MacT wouldn't play Semenov and Bergeron on defense at the same time, what's going to happen when you throw Lynch and Woywitka into the mix.

We had 3 players in the top 100 in scoring and Nedved was one of them at #100. I seem to recall that the Oilers were 4th in the league in defense scoring, that's excellent, but I've got to wonder what we're going to do for forwards. Rita couldn't even get a look, I like Salmo, but that hardly makes for a bright future.

For those of us who complained about the coaching, either fairly, wrongly or just out of frustration, they are all back for next year.

Lowe can feel better this year not making the playoffs because this year was likely a financial success compared to last year.

Being a fan I am more concerned with success on the ice and 2 of the last 3 years missing the playoffs certainly doesn't spell success to me. I only hope a trend isn't forming.

Old
04-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Yanner39

20 games doesn't make a season. I personally think the future does look bright but the Nedved acquisition proved one thing: a player of this caliber is needed on this team. The Oilers haven't had a player like Nedved since Weight. If Nedved doesn't return, Lowe needs to replace him. Not by bringing up Salmo and Rita, but getting someone who make 2 or 3 of his teammates better players.

I wouldn't read too much into Lowe's comments that he's happy. They still missed the playoffs. Anytime you miss the playoffs, IMO you're crazy if your happy.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:15 PM
outKast*

1. A capable goalie avergeing less than 2.40 GAA and higher than a 0.910 save percentage.
2. A player who can score 75+ points per season.
3. A defenseman able to score 10 goals 35 assists.
4. A 3rd line centerman as effective as Todd Marchant was. Todd Marchant used to be the cornerstone of our defense from the forwards. We need a guy to taake charge like that. Either someone steps up and plays that way, or we trade. Every successful team has them. (NJ-Madden, COL-Konowalkchuk, BOS-Rolston, OTT-Fischer and so on and son on)
5. Keep Jason Smith.

Old
04-07-2004, 08:32 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
to your points outKast:

1. we're all waiting for that

2. possibly Pavel Nedved if he re-signs

3. Marc Andre Bergeron

4.Marty Reasoner

Old
04-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
Pavel Nedved

Old
04-07-2004, 09:53 PM
outKast*

Quote:

2Pavel Nedved
i didnt even notice that. ZZZZZzzzzzzing

Old
04-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Jamie

Quote:
to your points outKast:

1. we're all waiting for that

2. possibly Pavel Nedved if he re-signs

3. Marc Andre Bergeron

4.Marty Reasoner
You can add Stoll and to number 4 as well. I'd be quite comfortable with him playing that role and Reasoner as a #2center after York if need be. Of course another top line center would be nice, but that is not a pressing concern IMO. A top end goalie, keeping what we have in place without downgrading or losing anyone are 1 and 2 by a fair distance as far as I'm concerned. Healthy, we have the talent on offense and defense to easily make the playoffs next year and then start contending after that. I'd rather they have the money to resign guys like Hemsky, York, etc when the time comes than have Nedved making $5 million a year. He's not worth NEARLY that much. I think $3.5 is pushing it for him, but I'd settle for that, but I highly doubt he'd play in Edmonton for that when he can get $4 to play somewhere his wife would prefer.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:05 PM
outKast*

ohh yah....that's smart. Don't sign a near point per game player because you think he costs too much if he was available for 3.5 million. 3.5 isn't even pushing it. Look what we're paying Ryan Smyth to do. It's nuts. If Nedved wanted to stay for 3.5 and Kevin Lowe said no i woulld work 5 months, save up for plane tickets, and a baseball bat, and a taxi ride to Lowe's house, then knock on his door and knock him out. doood PM me your ganja dealer. I want some of what you're smoking.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Loweball

$3.5 million for Nedved? Absolutely.

$5 million for Nedved? Not bloody likely.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:16 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
$3.5 million for Nedved? Absolutely.

$5 million for Nedved? Not bloody likely.
WOW. state the obvious.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Loweball

Outkast ...i hear a little cynacism in your voice. I was agreeing with you. $3.5 million is an accurate figure for his worth. Why the sarcasm?

Old
04-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
ohh yah....that's smart. Don't sign a near point per game player because you think he costs too much if he was available for 3.5 million. 3.5 isn't even pushing it. Look what we're paying Ryan Smyth to do. It's nuts. If Nedved wanted to stay for 3.5 and Kevin Lowe said no i woulld work 5 months, save up for plane tickets, and a baseball bat, and a taxi ride to Lowe's house, then knock on his door and knock him out. doood PM me your ganja dealer. I want some of what you're smoking.
Smyth is a lot more than an inconsistant, lazy one dimensial player that hasn't had a 70 point, or 30 goal season since 2000-2001, which was also the last season he was in the plus. And if you go back even further, the time before that was 96-97. Sure he played wicked for the Oilers down the stretch, but do I think he'd do near point a game for a full season here? Hell no. If you guarantee me that he'll play as well for next season as he did in his 16 games as an Oiler this year, I'd take the option at $5 million. $3.5 for Nedved as a gamble would be worth it I'll admit, but he won't stay here for that much so that points null. And he's to much of a risk IMO to go into a bidding war for. Everybody seems to dismiss the rest of how he played last year just because of his hot streak with the Oilers. I'm sure there's probably some point last season where over 10 games or so Horcoff did the same thing. Does that make him worth $3.5? I won't bother answering that question, but some people are WAY to high on Nedved because of a hot stretch to end last season. Sorry I don't agree with you that Nedved is some sort of god send, because he certainly is not. Hell look at Marchant's last season here when he scored 60 points. Does that make him a 60 point scorer? Once again, the answer is no.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Loweball

And...are you the dork on the right or the dork on the left?

Old
04-07-2004, 10:33 PM
outKast*

what bidding war? We OWN Nedved's rights for next season. There will be no outbidding by other teams. It's Peter's decision to lower his salary or walk. If he does walk i hope someone offers him over 5 million. We'd have a second rounder in return.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Jamie

Quote:
what bidding war? We OWN Nedved's rights for next season. There will be no outbidding by other teams. It's Peter's decision to lower his salary or walk. If he does walk i hope someone offers him over 5 million. We'd have a second rounder in return.
If we do not use the option, Nedved is a UFA, meaning there would be a bidding war for him... And as far as a team giving him over $5 mill, that is best case scenario in my mind as well.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:54 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
The Oilers only own his rights if they pick up the $5mil option, otherwise he is a UFA.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
There is no way we own Peter's rights if we decide to not pick up his option. At that point it would be a bidding war to acquire his services as other teams would be free to call him up and offer him more than the $3.5 million we would be offering. I'm not entirely sold he'll return for less than $5 million.. while it would be nice, we shouldn't be too quick to get our hopes up.

Old
04-08-2004, 01:09 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Do people here honestly think Nedved will get 80+ points next year?

Do people honestly think that Petr WON'T go through some sort of slump next year?

That's pretty optimistic.

I'm so sick of this "point per game" label. Yes, he went on a nice streak. The whole team did and were playing well.

If Petr gets 80+ points next year......it means the whole team is gonna play the ENTIRE next season like they played since the deadline..........and we'll be first overall.

Give yer heads a shake.......

Old
04-08-2004, 04:33 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Do people here honestly think Nedved will get 80+ points next year?

Do people honestly think that Petr WON'T go through some sort of slump next year?

That's pretty optimistic.

I'm so sick of this "point per game" label. Yes, he went on a nice streak. The whole team did and were playing well.

If Petr gets 80+ points next year......it means the whole team is gonna play the ENTIRE next season like they played since the deadline..........and we'll be first overall.

Give yer heads a shake.......
Yeah, I agree completely.

And it terms of what matters most, OUTscoring the other guys ... Dvorak got worse results with Nedved as his centre than with any other Oiler ... and by some distance. And let's face facts, this is as good as it gets with Petr.

I still think guys like Nedved, Comrie, Turgeon etc can be good contirbutors to a team if they are sheltered from quality opposition. But obviously when you do that, then you are making other players carry that burden ... plus, you can't always get away with it, esp on the road.

Nedved helped the PP no doubt, and was a good addition in the situation (no $, playing for a UFA contract in the summer, gave a boost the team). He brought the PP results from disasterous to damn near mediocre during his tenure here ... no small feat. But there is so much wrong with the Oilers powerplay that Nedved, though he clearly helped, isn't the answer IMHO.

Old
04-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Matts

Yeah, good call Igor

I'm thinking that if Nedved is back next year, Smyth-York will make up the bulk of the line that's gonna be expected to outscore the other team's best squad when the Oilers play at Rexall.

MacT got punked that last night at GM Place and Nedved's line went -3 vs Naslund and Co.

I think Nedved is worth bringing back if he's affordable but I don't think he's the be all end all.

I'd just hope he can put up 60 points and make the PP work. Or at least help it to

Closed Thread