HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Domi might sue a talk show host

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 02:22 PM
ehc73

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Domi might sue a talk show host

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=79333

If you thought politicians exchanging smarmy comments was bad, this goes over the top.
Basically a radio talk host from the TEAM 1200 in Ottawa decided to joke about Domi hitting his wife. Not exactly the brightest thing to do. The station condemned the comments and said they'd be reprimanding the host.
Domi is considering legal action against the host.

Old
04-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I'm really hoping the Team1200 gets over this Anti-Leaf support for the sens and starts acctually doing something Pro-Sens for a change.

as for this, If I were Domi I'd be pissed off beyond Belief, I dunno about Legal action though, I'd probably just demand an Apology myself, but if Domi's gonna sue them for Slander eh go for it Tie

Old
04-07-2004, 02:49 PM
hardcore_fan

Well at least this time he's not threatening to come down and blow up the building and kick the crap out of everyone.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Murphy*

Hopefully Domi manages to get Dandyman fired, the guy is a complete moron...

Old
04-07-2004, 03:08 PM
discostu

Just a note to everyone,

These comments have been discussed on the Sens board, and they have been universally been regarded as stupid and senseless. It also should be noted that the originator of the comments is also very heavily hated in Ottawa, and most Sens fans feel that he should be fired, and are anxiously hoping he is taken off the air.

I just want to point that out, since I do not want these comments in any way being associated with Sens fans in general.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:09 PM
hardcore_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph_man15
Hopefully Domi manages to get Dandyman fired, the guy is a complete moron...
I hope so too, but he was on this afternoon, giving his apology.I'm not sure we'll see him canned though, as I believe his son-in-law or something like that is the station manager.I really wish they would move Gary Galley into the afternoon drive slot.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:12 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore_fan
I really wish they would move Gary Galley into the afternoon drive slot.

I would love that. He's the best radio personality that Ottawa has right now. I've found his transition from hockey player to media personality to be excellent, and if the Team (Ottawa's sports radio station) doesn't give him a promotion quick, he'll bolt for an opportunity with an employer that recognizes his talent, probably in television.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Just a note to everyone,

These comments have been discussed on the Sens board, and they have been universally been regarded as stupid and senseless. It also should be noted that the originator of the comments is also very heavily hated in Ottawa, and most Sens fans feel that he should be fired, and are anxiously hoping he is taken off the air.

I just want to point that out, since I do not want these comments in any way being associated with Sens fans in general.
Anyone who made blind statements like that would be just as Stupid as this guys original comments.

I'm acctually getting sick of this crap I just want the series to start already so we can focus on what Matters, two great teams playing great hockey and not distractions like these that do nothing but toss fuel on to the fire.

on second thought lets just blame the Bruins and/or the Devils for setting us up like this in the first place

Old
04-07-2004, 03:16 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore_fan
I believe his son-in-law or something like that is the station manager.
The rumour is that the former GM of the station was a serious customer of Dandyman's bookie services and owed the Dandyman a considerable amount of money. Dandyman then leveraged this into a spot on the radio.

I've also heard from numerous sources that Dandyman is in the mob.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:28 PM
syc

Team 1200 is a joke and Domi should sue them.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:56 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
From someone on the SensNetwork boards who listened to Dandy this afternoon...

Quote:
The show started up with Dandy issuing an apology, expressing his sentiments that his comments yesterday were meant to be humourous but were anything but. He ended his comments by saying that he would be making donations to both Interval House and Nelson House, two homes for abused women and their children, here in Ottawa. He repeated a couple of times that his comments were out of line.

Old
04-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
I'm really hoping the Team1200 gets over this Anti-Leaf support for the sens and starts acctually doing something Pro-Sens for a change.

as for this, If I were Domi I'd be pissed off beyond Belief, I dunno about Legal action though, I'd probably just demand an Apology myself, but if Domi's gonna sue them for Slander eh go for it Tie
If I was Domi I would sue and accept this schumck being canned as settlement.

Old
04-07-2004, 04:58 PM
o-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD
From someone on the SensNetwork boards who listened to Dandy this afternoon...
Quote:

The show started up with Dandy issuing an apology, expressing his sentiments that his comments yesterday were meant to be humourous but were anything but. He ended his comments by saying that he would be making donations to both Interval House and Nelson House, two homes for abused women and their children, here in Ottawa. He repeated a couple of times that his comments were out of line.
Well at least all the idiots that know nothing about hockey in Ottawa are doing some good for charity. First the food banks and now this...there's probably some homeless people that are praying to hear more stupidity

Old
04-07-2004, 05:24 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Was there a phone call from Domi to the station, played at the end of a "Leafs Suck" song? I heard it, if it's real.

Old
04-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
The rumour is that the former GM of the station was a serious customer of Dandyman's bookie services and owed the Dandyman a considerable amount of money. Dandyman then leveraged this into a spot on the radio.

I've also heard from numerous sources that Dandyman is in the mob.
If this isn't true it's funny and deserved. Very sad if it's true.

Old
04-07-2004, 05:54 PM
s7ark

Sure it might not have been wise to say on the air, but are we in America or something? Straight to the lawsuit, as if a public apology and possible loss of buddy's job aren't fair compensation for a guy who's a millionaire largely because of his pugilistic prowess (how much should you pay for about 20 pts and 200 PIM per year). First, if any of our friends made that joke while sitting in front of the game, we'd all laugh and wouldn't think our friend condoned wife-beating. Secondly, it's a rival city's station... expect a little smack talk (however ill-advised, you've got to have some sense of humour) that isn't necessarily meant to be taken literally. Thirdly, the guy is apparently a confirmed moron so why is Tie worried that his "good" name is soiled? Lastly, if there's no evidence or report of him ever laying hand on his wife (I hope...), why can't we all just roll our eyes, consider him an idiot, and let it go?

Old
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Well at least this time he's not threatening to come down and blow up the building and kick the crap out of everyone.
lol.

That's the best part of the song...and yes it really is Domi.

Old
04-08-2004, 04:24 PM
ehc73

Follow Up

Evidently, unfunny jokes are suspension-worthy.

Romani just got suspended indefinitely pending further review.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...60&hubName=nhl

Old
04-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Evidently, unfunny jokes are suspension-worthy.

Romani just got suspended indefinitely pending further review.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...60&hubName=nhl
No, libellous statements are suspension worthy.

Old
04-08-2004, 05:28 PM
ehc73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Well, given the fact that anyone can sue for anything these days(see: surfer that sued another surfer for "taking his wave" which resulted in "prevention of happiness"), who knows what is libellous these days.
Then again, this is probably just the station covering its own ass hoping that with this, Domi will only sue Romani if at all.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Prince Mercury

I read about this in the Star today, and it's ridiculous. Not only is it just not funny to accuse someone of beating his wife, but Domi's a very amicable and charitable guy. Hopefully Domi slams this guy with a lawsuit just like he slammed Chara into the boards in the third.

(Yeah, I know they lost... I'm trying to keep my mind on other things...)

Old
04-08-2004, 11:32 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Again, not condoning the statement or anything, but if that were true Conan, Leno, Letterman, John Stewart, Howard Stern et al would be getting as many weeks of suspension as they would air time. The media, as the main vehicle of the free speech (I am not a flag-waving, gun-toting American or anything), has to be given lee-way on these types of issues. Unless someone goes on the air and lies saying "I saw Domi beat his wife after church last Sunday", people should chill out.

Context people. Without jumping to our own conclusions as to what he meant, it would seem as though this guy was suggesting that Domi plays hockey against his wife and they drop the gloves often (are there reports of Domi punching anyone anywhere else? I hate the guy, but I've never heard of him having a reputation as being uncontrolled in public). I know it seems obvious that he was suggesting something else, and perhaps in poor taste, but lighten up. Unless Domi has something to hide, he should be aware of his rep as a "hockey player", shake his head, and get on with life. Oversensitivity is killing this continent.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:04 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Again, not condoning the statement or anything, but if that were true Conan, Leno, Letterman, John Stewart, Howard Stern et al would be getting as many weeks of suspension as they would air time.
Context, people. Conan, Leno, Letterman, Jon Stewart, and Howard Stern are recognized as comedy hosts. Without knowing anything about Romani, I'm assuming that as a host on a sports station, that he's out there portraying himself as somebody knowledgeable about sports and the people who play them. Conan et all are doing their job when they're making off-the-wall commentary. This guy isn't.

Other radio personalities have landed in hot water over the same kind of thing. Team Radio are well within their rights suspending a guy who reflects badly on the station, and this guy obviously reflected badly on the station, and could well have put them in legal trouble. A radio guy can be let go for having lousy ratings-- you bet he can be suspended for embarrassing the station.

Quote:
The media, as the main vehicle of the free speech (I am not a flag-waving, gun-toting American or anything), has to be given lee-way on these types of issues. Unless someone goes on the air and lies saying "I saw Domi beat his wife after church last Sunday", people should chill out.
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know the exact definition of slander, but I don't think he has to make a specific statement for it to be slander. I think implying that he knows things is probably pretty close.
Quote:
Context people. Without jumping to our own conclusions as to what he meant, it would seem as though this guy was suggesting that Domi plays hockey against his wife and they drop the gloves often (are there reports of Domi punching anyone anywhere else? I hate the guy, but I've never heard of him having a reputation as being uncontrolled in public). I know it seems obvious that he was suggesting something else, and perhaps in poor taste, but lighten up. Unless Domi has something to hide, he should be aware of his rep as a "hockey player", shake his head, and get on with life. Oversensitivity is killing this continent.
That's ludicrous. Most people only know the Tie Domi they see on the ice. That guy has a hot temper and has been suspended several times for letting his temper get the better of him. How many listeners of the station are in a position to say whether the Tie Domi they see on the ice is the real Tie Domi?

The argument that you're making is just ridiculous. Did people assume that Patrick Roy's wife must be a Detroit Red Wing when the door-breaking incident hit the presses? After all, Patrick Roy only has no reputation for getting into confrontations except when Red Wings are involved...

Come on.

Some people (especially in Ottawa where they already hate the guy) will be more than willing to believe that Tie Domi is a wife-beater, and because of his well-known hot temper, it's not far fetched. For this jackass to go on the radio and suggest it without reason is a far cry from the kind of fair parody you're comparing it to.

Hey, wife-beating jokes are hilarious, aren't they?

Old
04-09-2004, 12:33 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Context, people. Conan, Leno, Letterman, Jon Stewart, and Howard Stern are recognized as comedy hosts. Without knowing anything about Romani, I'm assuming that as a host on a sports station, that he's out there portraying himself as somebody knowledgeable about sports and the people who play them. Conan et all are doing their job when they're making off-the-wall commentary. This guy isn't.
I don't want this to get too snarky, but you're essentially saying that some people in the media get free speech and others don't. I'm not saying the station is wrong for suspending him, but I think it's unfortunate that stations have to take the such defensive postures.

Quote:
Other radio personalities have landed in hot water over the same kind of thing. Team Radio are well within their rights suspending a guy who reflects badly on the station, and this guy obviously reflected badly on the station, and could well have put them in legal trouble. A radio guy can be let go for having lousy ratings-- you bet he can be suspended for embarrassing the station.
No argument here. Again, just disappointing that stations sometimes have to do this to save face. Forget the sheep mentality, he publicy stated he was joking, despite the bad taste. Apology should = end of story.

Quote:
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know the exact definition of slander...
Me neither, but I know that bad jokes don't count. Nothing I've seen or heard in this article suggests he honestly thinks Domi beats his wife. It'd be a different story if he said something like "I've seen Domi's wife take a few good hits".

Quote:
That's ludicrous. Most people only know the Tie Domi they see on the ice. That guy has a hot temper and has been suspended several times for letting his temper get the better of him. How many listeners of the station are in a position to say whether the Tie Domi they see on the ice is the real Tie Domi?

The argument that you're making is just ridiculous. Did people assume that Patrick Roy's wife must be a Detroit Red Wing when the door-breaking incident hit the presses? After all, Patrick Roy only has no reputation for getting into confrontations except when Red Wings are involved...

Come on.

Some people (especially in Ottawa where they already hate the guy) will be more than willing to believe that Tie Domi is a wife-beater, and because of his well-known hot temper, it's not far fetched. For this jackass to go on the radio and suggest it without reason is a far cry from the kind of fair parody you're comparing it to.

Hey, wife-beating jokes are hilarious, aren't they?
One at a time...
1) You admit that there's context for the joke, and that next to no one is in a position to know him off the ice. So when a guy says "I imagine..." (as in "I imagine she can take a good shot") we should all take it as fact at face value without seeking an informed source? Baaaa, baaaa says the sheep.
2) What the hell does the Roy incident have to do with it? Is it a documented fact that this happened, because as far as I know, there are no "incidents" involving Domi beating women, despite people's opinions of him as a player.
3) As regards the people in Ottawa you refer to, see the Baa baa in #2. They got a public apology for the bad taste, and it should be left at that.
4) Wife-beating, racist, dirty jokes are both laughed at and frowned at by different people in different contexts and situations (a dressing room is different from a work luncheon for example). Some do find them hilarious, some don't. Some should be taken seriously, some shouldn't. Jokes are jokes. This one was probably good for a chuckle for 4 or 5 people out of 300 million (or the thousands of listeners in this case), but was in bad taste and warranted an apology. That should have been the end of it.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:58 AM
detredWINgs

Its one thing to make hockey-related jokes about Domi, but to bring his family life into this is disgusting. Why should that even be brought up on a show like this. I'm glad to see nobody supports this guy. If somebody said that about my spouse, I would be furious. I can understand why he would want to sue. Its a little over the top, but consider yourself in his position. I know I would be flaming mad had anyone brought my personal life as a way of degrading my public life. Theres no need for that. I hope that guy gets canned.

Closed Thread