HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tavares Evaluation Thread

Old
10-03-2009, 11:39 AM
isleskovalchuk

vCash: 500
John Tavares Evaluation Thread

Thought this should maybe be stickied as we are going to talk about this continuously all season watching tavares develop right in front of us. Lets go Islanders!

EDIT: and maybe change the spelling

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Belarus

IMO "John Tavares under the microscope" would do better

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 11:43 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

It would help if his name was spelled correctly

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
isleskovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
It would help if his name was spelled correctly
haha write after I hit post I thought to myself Ive searched so many things about this guy and now i spell it wrong

Old
10-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Just keep it realistic. The kid is only 19, jumping from Juniors to the NHL, and not exactly surrounded by a solid supporting cast. My guess is we'll see some flashes of what's to come here and there, but overall, probably a relatively quiet season from him. Hard to make chicken salad when most of your ingredients are chicken ****.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Islandersfan1621

I expect some sort of adjustment period. I think right now he'll get going for a week or two but after he'll start to struggle because he'll realize that he can't do his moves he did in the OHL. He'll struggle for a month or two (not like pointless but just not amazing) and then he'll have a great and promising rest of the season. We'll see though. I do expect him to win the Calder so who knows.

Islandersfan1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:57 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Goal and Assist tonight.

Enjoy Isles Fans... the future has arrived.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:24 AM
SonicY
Ad hominem

If you want to get more excited about him, Isles fans, just watch clips from Canada/USA at the WJHC this year. He single-handedly takes the entire team on his back to victory. He already has the hands and shot to put most 40-goal scorers to shame, and he's only 19. To top it off, he has an almost Russian-like swagger to him, a trait that is unbecoming to some (*ahem* Don Cherry) but I think is essential to a market in need of a pick-me-up like Long Island.

I'm jealous.

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to 385
He's on pace for 82 - 82 - 164. Anything less and he's a bust.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Isles72

a roofed backhander over the Cup winning teams's goalie (Fleury)was a nice way to show up to the party .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Isles75

In the worst case scenario, we already now he is more successful than Scott Scissons

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Hurt

You got something special on your hands Isles fans. Hold on to him unless Wang dicks you out of a team. No pun intended

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Andrea5174

Have to say I enjoyed watching him play last night. Once the rookie jitters go away, he looks to be something special!!

Andrea5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:11 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Was at the game last night, and I have to say, that this is so much more than an on ice player.

He has already brought in a breath a fresh air, and a sense of excitement. Each time he stepped onto the ice the crowd knew it. What is even more important—he did not disappoint.

Each time he was on the ice—with Moulsen and Okposo, something happened. This has a lot to do with Tavares—but clearly something exciting could be happening with Moulsen and K.O. and the chemistry that we could be seeing the beginnings of.

Though it is just one game—it looks like we have a very good first line.

I would also point out a few other details—and I do so because so many were questioning Tavares before he was drafted.

The knock: He is one dimensional.

The reality: He was very solid in the face off circle. He was also skating pretty hard to get back and help in his own end.

The knock: He is not that good a skater

The reality: I did not see him on the ice on his butt once, except in a drop to one knee to bury a one-timer. He was also able to skate back and catch up to another player to break up a 2 on 1 possiblity. I also saw him skate in alone on a breakaway and no Penguins caught up to him.

I think that there is still some maturing and it is just one game. There will be good game and bad with a few great games in between. Clearly he is showing us why he was the #1 pick. Snow made the right decision—and not jsut because of what happened on the ice, but what he can do for the franchise as a whole.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:24 PM
CrimsonBruin21

At the game last night... and you can color me impressed. VERY impressed. I don't know whether Gordon got into his ear... or we were laboring under overly knit-picky scouting reports or what... but the kid is a far more complete hockey player than we were lead to believe. Tremendous poise with the puck in all 3 zones and though not a burner by any stretch... a nice efficient stride that seemingly motors him to the EXACT place he needs to be WHEN he needs to be there. Uncanny hockey sense and nose for the net. He's not going to put anyone through the glass... but he'll play his position defensively, is strong on the puck and even at 19 can already fight off some pretty hard checks and make the proper play on the breakout...

Anyway, I went in expecting to be reminded of a raw/green Heatley/Hull/Bossy type (which obviously would have been great).... instead I was most reminded of Turgeon (explosive 91-93 "Early Islander" version) with (unexpectedly) some Joe Sakic (particularly with how poised he was... how he embraced the moment... and how deft he was with the puck both from a playmaking and goalscoring POV) thrown in. And I just throw those names out as "impressions". JT is his own unique type of player and has many offensive weapons at his disposal. I'm not saying he'll be the greatest ever or anything... but he seems to possess a blend of different offensive talents that have not been seen before in one package (making him extremely difficult to classify).

It will be incredibly enjoyable to watch him throughout the season and downright scary to think how good he can be in 2-3 seasons. Clearly the best prospect that's walked through our door since Lafontaine in '84.

Last edited by CrimsonBruin21: 10-05-2009 at 02:13 AM.
CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:14 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles75 View Post
In the worst case scenario, we already now he is more successful than Scott Scissons
easily the best post I've read in a year.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:19 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

great breakdown smithtown, i agree about the turgeon part as well.

without getting too far ahead of ourselves after one game...you have to love the energy the guy brings to the team and he's extremely exciting to watch.

i find that he played much harder than I'm used to seeing - there may be something to the fact that he was bored in the OHL and probably injured in the OHL playoffs.

He played yesterday the way he played in the WJC.

Tough to keep that up over a full season but you can tell the kid has desire, determination and will WANT to improve and WANT to dominate at this level.

That's the biggest difference from a guy like Yashin (not to bring him up again but he's a perfect example) - DESIRE means something when you have elite talent.

He's not an elegant skater, but he's deceptive and very strong on his skates with great balance
He's deadly on the PP, not just himself, but opening up ice for Streit (who was awesome again, btw) and Okposo, Bailey, Hunter, etc will GREATLY help this team.

Why wasn't Hedman playing last night, was he a healthy scratch with Schremp?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:23 PM
isleskovalchuk

cant ask for anymore in one game

Old
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Titan124

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
cant ask for anymore in one game
IDk, he should've scored on that breakaway

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
You put the "smiley" at the end to indicate you might be kidding, but you're right.

Once he gets more time in the league, he'll know more about the goalies and be stronger on breakaways..

That said - wow. He delivered, no doubt about it. Only one game in, but he performed well.. this player is gonna be a monster on the powerplay for years to come.. our coaching staff needs to host a clinic in drawing penalties!!!

Oh.. and for what it's worth, I'd take Tavares on my fantasy team.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:14 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
great breakdown smithtown, i agree about the turgeon part as well.

without getting too far ahead of ourselves after one game...you have to love the energy the guy brings to the team and he's extremely exciting to watch.

i find that he played much harder than I'm used to seeing - there may be something to the fact that he was bored in the OHL and probably injured in the OHL playoffs.

Tough to keep that up over a full season but you can tell the kid has desire, determination and will WANT to improve and WANT to dominate at this level.

That's the biggest difference from a guy like Yashin (not to bring him up again but he's a perfect example) - DESIRE means something when you have elite talent.

He's not an elegant skater, but he's deceptive and very strong on his skates with great balance
He's deadly on the PP, not just himself, but opening up ice for Streit (who was awesome again, btw) and Okposo, Bailey, Hunter, etc will GREATLY help this team.

Why wasn't Hedman playing last night, was he a healthy scratch with Schremp?

No - Desire means EVERYTHING no matter what your talent level is. Desire is what separates making the playoffs on talent and winning games once you're there.

If in the same ballpark, I will ALWAYS take talent, heart, and intelligence over talent.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:25 AM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Excellent points redbull... and I think you have your finger on the $64 million question... we know Tavares LOVES the big stage and elevates his game in those settings (not a bad thing of course!)- but how will he be INTENSITY-wise (not production-wise- as he clearly has the skills to "sleep walk" produce a la Yashin) defensively and in transition when the team's: (1) mired in a slump; and (2) playing Nashville in front of 8,000 at the NVMC on Tuesday, February 9th? Gordon will earn his money... and Tavares can start paving his way towards super-stardom IF he can deliver PROFESSIONAL and INTENSE performances on those kinds of nights. Unfortunately, he's likely to see quite a few nights like that in the next year or two before things finally (hopefully) turn around for this franchise... So we're certainly going to find out...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:28 AM
peternorthstar

For the first time in a long while I was pumped, for the game, after his assist and of course after the goal. Always knowing and being in the right place, what is the value of this? Just ask Luc Robitaille. This is what I see in JT and what will define his future!

Looking forward to game #2

peternorthstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:48 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
that was a great save by fleury. JT got that shot off real quick and it was labeled top shelf. hell bury those more often than not though, im not too worried about it

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:10 AM
lazycop
ISLE BE DAMNED!

My 2 cents-I sat in sec. 101 Sat. night(Tavares' goal was right in front of me). From what I saw, the guy's not the most graceful of skaters, but he seemed to be able to get where he needed to get quick enough. He has a weird stride, feet waaaayyyy apart. I did get a sense that he is constantly thinking ahead, just by watching him position himself. He seems to be able to get the puck and immediatly process his options, thinking fast on his feet, as it were. He definitely appears to have a lot of 'hockey sense'. The shootout chance, I think, was a mulligan. I think once he settles down he'll succeed more often than not in shootouts(gee, ya think??). The other thing I noticed being down so close to the goal(1st time I ever sat that close) was the hands on the Penguins. Geez, the skill level on some of those guys when you see it up close is just unreal.

lazycop is online now   Reply With Quote