HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

John Tavares Evaluation Thread

Old
10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
Excellent points redbull... and I think you have your finger on the $64 million question... we know Tavares LOVES the big stage and elevates his game in those settings (not a bad thing of course!)- but how will he be INTENSITY-wise (not production-wise- as he clearly has the skills to "sleep walk" produce a la Yashin) defensively and in transition when the team's: (1) mired in a slump; and (2) playing Nashville in front of 8,000 at the NVMC on Tuesday, February 9th? Gordon will earn his money... and Tavares can start paving his way towards super-stardom IF he can deliver PROFESSIONAL and INTENSE performances on those kinds of nights. Unfortunately, he's likely to see quite a few nights like that in the next year or two before things finally (hopefully) turn around for this franchise... So we're certainly going to find out...
I don't think anyone "brings it" every shift, every game (except Ovechkin and Crosby - coincidentally, two of the best players in hockey) so it may be a lot to expect - but why not set the bar that high!?

Malkin took that Isles game off, I suppose he's earned it (scoring champ, conn smythe, stanley cup, younger than schremp and tambellini) - yada yada. I'm sure those February games you describe will show us "nights off" by a lot of players.

You cannot have that from your leaders or key players, not with any regularity. Tavares has been accused of that in the past, maybe because he was bored/injured, maybe because it's his skating style/speed where he doesn't look like he's full-out all the time.

I think it's in large part to the way he thinks the game. Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull and Mike Bossy (NOT COMPARISONS) all used to "float" during games. It appeared as floating because they weren't all-out all-the-time (like Bergenheim is) - which is NOT a bad thing.

Playing like a buzz-saw is great for most players but ELITE offensive players (like the ones described) often sit back and read the play, anticipate where the puck will be and seem to always be completely wide open for that one-timer when it matters - with the announcers pointing out "how can they leave that guy alone in the slot like that?!?!"

Let's not confuse that with lazy play.

Results matter, not personal results, but team results. No one will care if Tavares exhibits those traits and scores goals WHILE helping the team win.

In losses, however, he'll be labeled a floater, his intensity/leadership questioned, etc.

I expect this will be a long season, many ups and downs and it'll be interesting and fun to see how the team (not just JT) handles things as we go.

It was great watching him play the other night though - very exciting stuff and LONG overdue.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey all:

Just anf FYI from a Ranger fan here....

Haven't seen Tavares yet, but looks like he had a good start for you and you guys had a respectable showing against the Stanley Cup Champs.

Nice to see some positive things happening on The Island. Good luck with the Lighthouse Project and I hope we whoop your tails every game this year.

Blueshirt

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
KrisBeKreame

I too was at the game on Saturday. I was very impressed with the way he played. Just a couple of casual observations;
He shyed away from the physical game. I know he is not a big physical player but i real feel that in order to play the game you must assert yourself. For example there were a couple of times that the puck was along the boards and he did not fight for the puck or take his man off it. I again know that is not a big deal but I feel it is a place he needs to put some work in. It may come form a nervous itimidation steming from his first NHL Game but it really could have put him over the edge. He also had some great opportunities to check a few times, where the opposing player had put himself in a bad position but JT eased up before hitting him. Hopefully this can be corrected with a little experience and guidence.

But Overall Very Impressive first game and hopefully more to follow.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
If in the same ballpark, I will ALWAYS take talent, heart, and intelligence over talent.
Sure, who wouldn't?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
I was surprised at how accurate the general scouting report was on him. He's pretty average until he gains the zone, and then his creativity takes over. Get a closer look at his assist on opening night, he made a nice move around the defender and sent that pass right onto Okposo's stick, it was just too hard to handle but it was a sick move to even make that pass, he created the opportunity himself with his stickhandling. He WAS always in the right place because he correctly anticipates where the puck is likely to end up and he got rewarded for it. Besides having excellent control of the puck, his hands are quick as lightning. Most players on our roster would have a hard time gathering that puck at all, much less getting enough toe on it to roof it backhand.

I'm not going nuts but that first game was the first time I've ever seen him really shine and I am definitely a believer.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

More than anything, what Tavares brings is not only the tools to be an elite NHL player, but the drive to be the best.

That's what will propel both him and the Isles to success.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:29 PM
marty 4 hart*

Tavares sure is proving the doubters wrong! Hedman who?

marty 4 hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I too was at the game on Saturday. I was very impressed with the way he played. Just a couple of casual observations;
He shyed away from the physical game. I know he is not a big physical player but i real feel that in order to play the game you must assert yourself. For example there were a couple of times that the puck was along the boards and he did not fight for the puck or take his man off it. I again know that is not a big deal but I feel it is a place he needs to put some work in. It may come form a nervous itimidation steming from his first NHL Game but it really could have put him over the edge. He also had some great opportunities to check a few times, where the opposing player had put himself in a bad position but JT eased up before hitting him. Hopefully this can be corrected with a little experience and guidence.

But Overall Very Impressive first game and hopefully more to follow.
I disagree, I don't think he avoided contact at all. In fact I saw him make a few hits. I also saw him get back on the backcheck, which impressed me. AND he was very good on the faceoff, saw him beat Crosby, Malkin & Staal several times. In fact, he won his first 5 faceoffs. Add to that, he was even, and his offensive stats, I was very impressed.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:57 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHC View Post
I was surprised at how accurate the general scouting report was on him. He's pretty average until he gains the zone, and then his creativity takes over. Get a closer look at his assist on opening night, he made a nice move around the defender and sent that pass right onto Okposo's stick, it was just too hard to handle but it was a sick move to even make that pass, he created the opportunity himself with his stickhandling. He WAS always in the right place because he correctly anticipates where the puck is likely to end up and he got rewarded for it. Besides having excellent control of the puck, his hands are quick as lightning. Most players on our roster would have a hard time gathering that puck at all, much less getting enough toe on it to roof it backhand.

I'm not going nuts but that first game was the first time I've ever seen him really shine and I am definitely a believer.
I agree with you, his first assist should have been a primary assist, Okposo mishandled a great pass that would have been his goal. Great recovery by Okposo and nice feed to Streit. I also agree with him being in the right place, they always say that the puck seems to find the great players, and it's because they anticipate so well and are in the right place. I'm not saying Tavares is great just yet.......

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Isles Junkie

It doesn't really belong here, but it isn't thread worthy IMO. How ridiculous is it that the NYI are selling pieces of the Net from Tavares' first game. http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:52 PM
PlayoffBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHC View Post

It sounds like you play or played hockey from this post.

I sat in the first row of section 214 for the game and I had a perfect view of Tavares move on his secondary assist. I have to say I was more impressed with it than the goal. In such a tight space, with a defender on top of him, he went backhand to forehand and then whipped a pass across to Okposo in what seemed in one, tremendously quick motion. The stickhandling speed and vision were truly impressive.

I also dvr'd the game and when I watched the play, while it still looked a quick move, it was not nearly as impressive as seeing it live.

A subtle move but very impressive.

PlayoffBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It doesn't really belong here, but it isn't thread worthy IMO. How ridiculous is it that the NYI are selling pieces of the Net from Tavares' first game. http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home
While I think the gimmick is a little corny, it is cool. I have something like that from DP's all star game.

10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
While I think the gimmick is a little corny, it is cool. I have something like that from DP's all star game.
yeah but that's an All Star Game. I just think with an item like this the organization is just feeding into the hype machine more than they should. We all know he's a supremely talented player, but he's only 19 years old. Things like selling a piece of the net, or on Islanders Illustrated calling him "the chosen one" (yeah i know they meant the one the NYI chose in the draft, but theres something more to it then just that). I just don't want to be hearing things from NYI fans like "what a bust, can anything ever work out for this team etc..." if JT doesn't score 40+ goals this year.

At least the coach & GM are saying the right things and trying to keep expectations a bit more realistic in his rookie year.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
yeah but that's an All Star Game. I just think with an item like this the organization is just feeding into the hype machine more than they should. We all know he's a supremely talented player, but he's only 19 years old. Things like selling a piece of the net, or on Islanders Illustrated calling him "the chosen one" (yeah i know they meant the one the NYI chose in the draft, but theres something more to it then just that). I just don't want to be hearing things from NYI fans like "what a bust, can anything ever work out for this team etc..." if JT doesn't score 40+ goals this year.

At least the coach & GM are saying the right things and trying to keep expectations a bit more realistic in his rookie year.
I understand your POV- but I think the fact of the matter is that the pressure and attention he's getting as an Islander pales in comparison to the pressure and attention he faced over the last two years as the top junior player in Canada- where I am sure he was CONSTANTLY under the gun to: (1) win WJC gold(s); (2) break the OHL scoring record; and(3) beat out Hedman and Duchene to go #1 overall.

Anyway- he's a mature kid who's been under the microscope for 5 plus years now. He can handle it IMHO... and God knows the Islanders need whatever buzz they can get!

PS Reading is Essential! I realize now that you're talking more about fans getting let down as opposed to JT cracking under the pressure. I guess what I'm trying to say is that BECAUSE JT seems more than equipped to handle the pressure he'll be under here- his performance won't slip and therefore fans won't have much reason to be disappointed. Honestly, and hopefully, regardless of what JT "promotional" stuff the organization does- I think 95% of the Islander fans out there will be satisfied if he simply produces at a reasonable clip and shows good intensity in all three zones and improves from month to month. I don't think he's under the gun to break the rookie scoring record or anything... he certainly shouldn't be.

Last edited by CrimsonBruin21: 10-07-2009 at 05:55 PM.
CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

369.00 are you KIDDDDDING ME? They must be INSANE.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty 4 hart View Post
Tavares sure is proving the doubters wrong! Hedman who?
You're probably kidding, but it's been 1 game.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
You're probably kidding, but it's been 1 game.
Sadly, I'm not so sure.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=689386

I'll reserve my opinion on Tavares until I see more of his game and the evolution of his all around game over the course of the season.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:53 AM
King City Warrior

Interesting article about John Tavares, going back to ottawa and playing in his first canadian city, where he was in the WJHC. Senators players and coaches talk about Tavares and his future in the nhl.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294105

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
If you want to get more excited about him, Isles fans, just watch clips from Canada/USA at the WJHC this year. He single-handedly takes the entire team on his back to victory. He already has the hands and shot to put most 40-goal scorers to shame, and he's only 19. To top it off, he has an almost Russian-like swagger to him, a trait that is unbecoming to some (*ahem* Don Cherry) but I think is essential to a market in need of a pick-me-up like Long Island.

I'm jealous.
At the same time, he was nearly invisible vs the Swedes and Russians during 5-on-5 play.

I'm not a Tavares hater, but I don't think it's possible for this kid to live up to the hype surrounding him.
I think he'll be a very good NHLer, but won't be in the same stratosphere as Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.

He'll be lucky to get in the same realm as Jeff Carter or Pat Kane.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 01:22 PM
TheBoss22

I just rewatched the NYI/Pens game last night and have to say JT looked terrible in the 3rd period and OT (but very good in the first 2).

It was obvious that he was bagged.

I thought if we would have had a more "fresh" player come out on our last 2 PP's may be we could have won the game in regulation.

Most likely Gordon will see this on the tapes and reduce JT's minutes slightly.

BTW: Does anyone else watch both feeds of the games? I watch the MSG feed live, and the Away feed at a later date.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I just rewatched the NYI/Pens game last night and have to say JT looked terrible in the 3rd period and OT (but very good in the first 2).

It was obvious that he was bagged.

I thought if we would have had a more "fresh" player come out on our last 2 PP's may be we could have won the game in regulation.

* Most likely Gordon will see this on the tapes and make him pull a groin muscle in practice.
Fixed it.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Kostas X

Wasn't he also just getting over the Flu?

Kostas X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
I'm not a Tavares hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
He'll be lucky to get in the same realm as Jeff Carter or Pat Kane.
Niceeeeeeeeeeeee

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Belarus

Even though JT did not score in Sens game I liked him more. Yes he fumbled the puck a few times, but was sharper overall comparing to his first game and could capitalize at least twice. I like that he keeps generating chances.

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Fantom

I think he has looked pretty solid in his first two games.
I feel like he sees the ice well while we have the puck.
He also seems to try and backcheck. I thought he could use a little bit more size. seems to be a better skater then i heard he would be.
He needs to get a little stronger as well. Overall i am impressed with what i have seen

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote