HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

John Tavares Evaluation Thread

Old
10-09-2009, 07:31 PM
nowayguy
Maybe Next Year

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
At the same time, he was nearly invisible vs the Swedes and Russians during 5-on-5 play.
Lies. All lies. Then you have the audacity to say 5 on 5 because you and I both know his two biggest contributions in those games were A) On the powerplay taking the attention of a defenseman on Hodgson's powerplay goal and B) throwing the puck on net with a miracle occurring at 5.4 (6 on 5). Sorry the only highlights he had were on plays with a total player advantage.

I've heard this **** over and over again from multiple people and it's simply not true.

nowayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Augscura

Just wanna get some opinions on this. Stevie Stamkos ended his rookie season with 23 goals and 23 assists last season.

If Tavares ends the season with the same or similar stats would you consider that a good or bad rookie campaign?

Just wanna get some opinions.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:35 AM
RMimagery

Okposo looks stronger and even more determined than last season. Tavares looks as poised as I hoped. If JT and Okposo each play 70 games or more, I think they'll both get 25G and 30A and wouldn't be surprised with more.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 08:10 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
Just wanna get some opinions on this. Stevie Stamkos ended his rookie season with 23 goals and 23 assists last season.

If Tavares ends the season with the same or similar stats would you consider that a good or bad rookie campaign?

I think it would be a successful season on the stat sheet, but I also would hope to see improvement in the areas where he and the team feel he needs it. I am not one of those fans who is expecting a 50 goal rookie year. If he gets us 45-50 pts and improves throughout the year I will be very happy.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 09:38 AM
cjdv16

Looking good. More to come.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Le Golie

Great start for Tavares. He generates offence every shift, he's clearly fast enough to play at this level and while he doesn't yet play with the confidence or saavy that he will have with experience, he's already the most effective point producer in the lineup.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Boy, it'd be amazing if Tavares could keep this up for even 75% of the season!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:34 PM
redbull
Expect more

Despite the knock on JT leading up to the draft, he's still a world class talent and provides truly ELITE offensive skills. I'm TRULY happy with his attitude, work ethic and desire out there - THAT was my biggest worry and why I wanted Duchene/Hedman ahead of Tavares.

If he can maintain the attitude and work ethic, the willingness to battle for pucks and the Ovechkin like desire (and enjoyment) in scoring then he'll be a star in this league for a long long time.

It's not talent alone that creates greatness...desire means something.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:49 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post

I would consider that an awesome rookie season, who wouldn't? You could nearly halve those totals and I wouldn't really be disappointed, although I am sure he would be. He has so far exceeded my expectations, I thought he would have a harder time being effective. And to those that knock his potency 5 on 5 - big deal. That's not who he is or is trying to be. He's a scoring wizard who can also make great passes, he's not a two way center or a puck carrier. He's carved out his niche as that type of player and has been really successful at it, so it's stupid to complain about shortcomings that are outside of his game.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 03:01 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHC View Post
I would consider that an awesome rookie season, who wouldn't? You could nearly halve those totals and I wouldn't really be disappointed, although I am sure he would be. He has so far exceeded my expectations, I thought he would have a harder time being effective. And to those that knock his potency 5 on 5 - big deal. That's not who he is or is trying to be. He's a scoring wizard who can also make great passes, he's not a two way center or a puck carrier. He's carved out his niche as that type of player and has been really successful at it, so it's stupid to complain about shortcomings that are outside of his game.
Get used to people knocking Tavares. I know a lot who did it for 4 years in the O despite the fact he had never really had a scoring slump. That shot on his last goal is average for him as well as his first where he just gobbled one up and roofed it. His skill as a playmaker has always been under-estimated. Wait until people start calling him lucky for his uncanny ability to get bouncing pucks under control.
His skating won't peak for a few years but in the maentime he will just produce.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 04:08 PM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
Get used to people knocking Tavares. I know a lot who did it for 4 years in the O despite the fact he had never really had a scoring slump. That shot on his last goal is average for him as well as his first where he just gobbled one up and roofed it. His skill as a playmaker has always been under-estimated. Wait until people start calling him lucky for his uncanny ability to get bouncing pucks under control.
His skating won't peak for a few years but in the maentime he will just produce.
Pretty much. The thing I find a bit funny now is that Colorado is already noticing the same problem with Duchene that he's had his entire career thus far, he doesn't have elite finish.

That's why I could never understand why Duchene was suddenly being regarded as a better player than Tavares. While Duchene might be flashier, and will probably be a better two-way forward eventually, Tavares just gets things done.

Either way, it's nice to see him have a quick start and once he really starts to get settled in, 70-80 points this year is definitely attainable barring injury.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Isles Junkie

Botta says
Minus: You don’t have to put John Tavares in the shootout. That’s your prerogative and everyone knows the OHL stats. Still - and I’m the Prez of the Richard Park Fan Club - you don’t skip over your franchise forward in favor of a third-line journeyman.

Is he saying that JT has poor stats in shootouts in the OHL? that's not good.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scouting Report View Post
That's why I could never understand why Duchene was suddenly being regarded as a better player than Tavares. While Duchene might be flashier, and will probably be a better two-way forward eventually, Tavares just gets things done.
I think that was the main argument from the Duchene camp. I don't know personally, I was in the "Would prefer Hedman but will still be excited as hell if we choose Tavares" camp lol.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
The shot on his second goal was amazing, a true goal scorer's goal. There was just a small hole, and he buried it emphatically. I have not seen hands like that on the Island since Turgeon. That goal showed me what I expect to see from him in the future, I'd be shocked if he doesn't score 40 on a regular basis. That being said, I don't expect that this season, but man, he is off to a great start. It's gonna be exciting watching him and Okposo develop as a tandem.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
blackmesa

Quote:
Is he saying that JT has poor stats in shootouts in the OHL? that's not good.
Yea, how in the world will he ever get picked for the All Star game if he doesnt improve his shootout work!?

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
Yea, how in the world will he ever get picked for the All Star game if he doesnt improve his shootout work!?
sarcasm aside, i wasn't even implying anything all that bad other then the fact that the NYI aren't so great at shootouts to begin with & it would have been nice if JT was good at them.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
sarcasm aside, i wasn't even implying anything all that bad other then the fact that the NYI aren't so great at shootouts to begin with & it would have been nice if JT was good at them.
Nielsen and Tambellini are both very good at shootouts, and Park isn't too bad either. It sucks that both Roloson and Biron are bad at shootouts.

Tavares has all the time in the world to improve his shootout abilities if they truly are of any concern.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
PlayoffBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
It sucks that both Roloson and Biron are bad at shootouts.
Savard put a hell of a move on Roloson in the SO. He is very impressive to watch out there, unfortunately I only get a chance to watch him against the isles...

Since this has nothing to do w/ Tavares - I guess I will add that I would rather see Tavares than Park in the SO but I would also rather not see a winnable game get to the SO. Hopefully, the Isles can shore up that 3rd period D sooner rather than later.

Last edited by PlayoffBeard: 10-12-2009 at 12:58 PM.
PlayoffBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Ideally, Tavares wouldn't have to work on his shootout techniques because the league gets rid of it, but we all know that's probably not going to happen.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Yes, it is early...but...JT is a point per game player. (Actually, a tad bit over a PpG.)

Can't be too upset with that from a 19 year old rookie.

Moulson has the same stats
3-3-6

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:12 AM
BillD

JT just continues to be in the right place to get chances.
If he had buried his open net chances he would have 10 goals and leading the NHL 5 games in!
The thing is he will bury a good portion of those, maybe 50% or more. Meanwhile, he continues to play hard, is in the traffic, gets chances, and is trying hard in every zone.
By end of season he will no longer telegraph his long cross ice passes.
In the offseason I expect that he will work on adding some muscle to he upper body, 5-7 pounds, and continue to work on his first step explosiveness.
JT will be a very goood point producer and maybe elite for NYI as he grows and develops.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scouting Report View Post
Pretty much. The thing I find a bit funny now is that Colorado is already noticing the same problem with Duchene that he's had his entire career thus far, he doesn't have elite finish.

It's way too early to say that Duchene doesn't have elite finish. Besides, It would help if Duchene played as much minutes as Tavares.

There's a reason why Tavares was ranked as the number 1 pick in 2009 since he was 15. He simply gets the job done even without some key components such as speed and two-way ability.

It was the problem for Tavares heading into the draft. Duchene has elite talent, skill, speed, two way ability, overall was much better than Tavares. Both had potentially to be franchise players, but Tavares has generational scoring ability. The next 'Wayne Gretzy" Syndrome, you could call it. Teams want those type of players, just go back to the 93 draft with Daigle. He had his flaws, but like any team would jump at the opportunity to find a generational player.

Then came their playoff performances in the OHL. Tavares was lacking dedication and Duchene dominated, which really pushed Duchene to be even considered near the top 2(Hedman,Tavares) and then people questions Tavares's heart.

In the end, both were elite offensive studs(obviously Tavares had an extra gear or else he wouldn't have be ranked number 1 for the few years.) but the consensus vote was that people would rather have a player who is reliable both ends of the ice, then a player who can score a marginally 10-20 points more per season)

Last edited by Rey: 10-17-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
In the end, both were elite offensive studs(obviously Tavares had an extra gear or else he wouldn't have be ranked number 1 for the few years.) but the consensus vote was that people would rather have a player who is reliable both ends of the ice, then a player who can score a marginally 10-20 points more per season)
If you want to keep promulgating the so-far myth that Tavares is a defensive liability, that's okay. But he ain't.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:19 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I have been very happy with JT's play in the defensive zone and the neutral zone. He works hard to get back.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
If you want to keep promulgating the so-far myth that Tavares is a defensive liability, that's okay. But he ain't.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Please learn to read before you post. Thank you

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote