HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Impressions?

Old
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Staal on the powerplay = useless, but the guy can rush the puck up the ice very well using his big body and long reach. There is definitely upside there
I actually thought he played well on the PP.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Brashear's jab that caught Godard in the nose was pretty funny. It's like he didn't even see it coming after they'd been sparring for a good half minute.

The thing I'm wondering with MDZ is his physical maturity. He has a stocky body--I'm not sure he's strong enough yet. I like though that he showed a willingness to defend himself.

Gilroy looked pretty good.
I had the same thoughts about MDZ too--but his positioning is pretty good and that might keep him here the rest of the season since he does know what he's doing on the point on the powerplay.

If Gilroy can play like last night consistantly (and of course, improve), he's on his way to a very successful career.

Gilroy

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:51 PM
haveandare

I thought that Staal looked huge defensively. His offensive game was about as lacking as it was last season, but I think he looked enormous on the defense.

Gaborik looked very dangerous. Like a lot of other people said, he could have had at least 3 goals if Fleury wasn't on his game.

MDZ will definitely stay with the Rangers. He made some mistakes but I'm very confident that he will step his game up noticeably possibly even tonight. Some people may not agree, but I can understand a rookie not quite having his full game on when his first nhl game is against the defending cup champions at their home opener.

Also, Dubi looked very powerful and strong on the puck.

I can't wait for them to take it to the senators tonight. Lets go rangers!

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:54 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I actually thought he played well on the PP.
He looked better yesterday, but overall he doesn't look comfortable there. He doesn't make quick enough decisions and tends to lose control of the puck quite a bit. Also, unless he worked on his slapshot during the offseason, he might have the least accurate shot on the team.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:58 PM
satrabyk

Gilroy looked very good in my opinion, i did not catch him in the pre-season but to me he looked like there best defence against the pens. MDZ looks like he needs some work, i mean i dont think its a size thing, he just has to get a little quicker in his decesions and plays to continue to stay with the team. AA didnt look bad i see potential more this year than last year and lisin also looked pretty good, def has some skill.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 10:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
I felt I'd be a nice Senators fan, and give you guys an idea of what to expect from the team I will be cheering for. Maybe some stuff to look for; albeit it'll be a bit scarce considering this exact roster has never played together before. The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I found this thread helpful in giving me an idea of who to watch and what to look for while watching the game tonight.

Forwards

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsson
Kovalev - Regin - Fisher
Foligno - Shannon - Cheechoo
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

Defense

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

Goaltending
Leclaire
Elliott

Up front, the team will boast speed and skill, but there is a severe lack of chemistry. I imagine they'll be pressing to gain chemistry quickly, so I think the Rangers can make inroads there. Spezza and Alfredsson are clicking, but although Michalek is skilled and fast, he was never really working effectively with Spezza.

The second line is an experiment. Regin is a rookie who impressed at camp, and Fisher has never (as far as I can remember) been expected to play as a Winger before. This line was our best line through training camp, but that was training camp. Kovalev is the most talented on the line, and everyone else on the line has been, at times, a step behind. Regin has good vision, but he's completely unproven at the NHL level. Look for Fisher to dig in the corners and use his quick wrist shot to try score. Kovalev will be the one carrying the line offensively though.

Cheechoo has worked hard all camp, but his legs just aren't there. He has no speed. This is a problem because Shannon and Foligno were great together last year on the FFS line (Foligno - Fisher - Shannon). Shannon's not a natural center, but he's got good vision. He is small though, but I imagine it'll be Foligno and Cheechoo working the boards. Foligno's looking to build on a career year last year, and is motivated to prove he's a top-six forward. This is a good line. In my eyes it's the only one that'll be clicking from the get-go. Not deadly though, but they'll be a good energy line.

Kelly was our third-line center last year, so him on the fourth line only goes to show that we've added depth. This line is a line that has caused a lot of problems for Senator fans. Kelly has hands of stone, but is a great Penalty Killer and hardworker. Ruutu is a pest, and Neil is a guy who gets paid 2 Million dollars to skate around and look like an idiot. I'm not being entirely fair, but this is the most expensive fourth line in the league. They should work well though. I expect Ruutu to spend much of the game trying to get into the faces of guys like Gilroy. Rangers are banking on some question marks on defense, and I expect you'll see this line get in the hair of the defense. Nothing special on the line, but they're all proven NHL guys who have talent.

Our defense is going to be interesting. Karlsson and Carkner have never played an NHL game. Carkner's essentially a bear on skates, but he's intimidating. His defensive game is okay as long as he doesn't take risks. Hopefully Clouston keeps him off the ice when the speedy forwards of the Rangers are out, because he's slow. Karlsson is weak defensively, but has a wicked shot, good passing, and a creative side offensively that the Senators have missed. Kuba is steady. The best description is "good at everything, great at nothing." Phillips and Volchenkov are good pairing, but there's nothing offensively to be worried about. Phillips is a slick passer, better then he gets credit for, but he's just expected to be a steady defensive player. That's what this line will do. Campoli is a question mark. I think he'll be better then expected. Good passing, quick shot, and is competent. Still a question mark though as he has never really proven himself.

In goal, Leclaire looks ready to go. His puck handling is sub-par, so if the Rangers dump and chase a lot, I expect he'll make an error. He is very fast. He is also confident and relaxed. Very rarely does he do any flailing. Still, he needs to prove he's a #1 Netminder in the NHL. He has shown flashes of brilliance, but he has also been hurt a lot. While healthy, he was consistently good, but he still hasn't played a full season.

As far as coaching is concerned, look for Clouston to focus on forechecking and puck pressure. On defense keep things very simple. You take your man, and you don't take chances. Offensively, they're encouraged to use their speed and the natural talents they have. The roster is built that way. Each line has a worker, a speedy guy, and someone who can move the puck around. Clouston is likely hoping this sort of thing will pay off. The main problem will be lack of chemistry, and a questionable defense.

Hopefully that helps give you Ranger fans some stuff to know about the roster, and keep an eye out while watching the game.
Thanks for typing all that. Glad we won.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
He looked better yesterday, but overall he doesn't look comfortable there. He doesn't make quick enough decisions and tends to lose control of the puck quite a bit. Also, unless he worked on his slapshot during the offseason, he might have the least accurate shot on the team.
He was pretty solid out there tonight, IMO.

He had a really nice slapshot that almost got tipped in and some good movement on the blueline. I'd say he's getting much more comfortable out there.

I don't think we'll ever see him running the PP, but he's making a case to be on the 2nd unit at least.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:58 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I didn't want to start a whole new thread but, first impressions?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:00 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Del Zotto is amazing. I've been saying this the since training camp last year that he should of made the team. I think he will stay with us, and hope he does.

Cally finally has an A! he deserves it.

This team we have now is alot more exciting to watch play, even if we dont score. am i the only one who thinks the pace of the game is super fast? I kinda feel like its playoff hockey, but thats good, it shows were in really good shape

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:55 AM
NYR89

I love the way this team plays. Speed, speed, speed. I'm having more fun watching this team than I ever did last year.

All of the young guys look fantastic, except for Anisimov. He hasn't done much of anything yet, but it's still early.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:02 AM
owa

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Thanks for typing all that. Glad we won.
Heh.

owa is offline   Reply With Quote