Notices

New Developments in Houston...

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 07:15 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
New Developments in Houston...

Harding got reassigned and we'll become a dual affialiated team with the Dallas Stars now sending prospects to them.

Old
04-13-2004, 07:50 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

vCash: 500
Will he get any playing time this season down there??? I know the Aeros are beginning there playoffs soon.

Old
04-13-2004, 09:48 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Backup for Holms...

Old
04-13-2004, 10:59 PM
ceber

I thought Holmqvist was out for good with that broken hand. One report I read made it sound like it might be longer than just the rest of the playoffs, even.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Wild Bill

Here's the link

http://www.aeros.com/

Dual Affiliation? I don't know if I like this...I've always liked the idea of guys developing with the same guys surrounding them, ala MLB. That way they have a better knowledge of their role throughout the organization. I guess it would be different if we were sending our prospects to their primary affiliate though. Does nothing but help Houston's chances...

Old
04-14-2004, 06:22 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Dual affiliation can be a nightmare. It requires a lot of care. I generally don't like it much. Hope it will work this time!

Old
04-14-2004, 08:25 AM
chaachie12

why would the Wild do this? They own the Aeros, so its not like they don't have a choice in this. I like the fact that we will be taking Dallas's money, but why????

Old
04-14-2004, 09:20 AM
tk421

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaachie12
why would the Wild do this? They own the Aeros, so its not like they don't have a choice in this. I like the fact that we will be taking Dallas's money, but why????
Well hopefully we will be pillaging the roster next year.

The only three reasons I can see for this

1) the money
2) get more Texas fan interest for the team
3) In order for an affiliate to produce really good prospects, the team has to be good.

The Wild are lacking in prospect numbers, so if you interject a few Dallas players, then you keep the affiliate competitive.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Slats432

I just wanted to mention that I think that the Oilers are far better now having their own affiliate this year than sharing the Bulldogs with the Habs last year.

The Bulldogs were run like a team looking to win every game. The emphasis was more on winning than developing talent. Last year some of the better Habs prospects(Balej, Plekanec, Ward, Ryder, Hossa, Komiserak) played very well during the season, whereby they received more ice time, and of course benefitted the development of those players.(Of course you don't disagree with the situation, but it didn't really benefit the Edmonton prospects) If Edmonton had its own team, their prospects would have developed further.

Here is an example. If Patty O' goes to the farm next year and is going through a tough time and gets bumped to the fourth line in Houston, if there are 5 or 6 good prospects between the two franchises that can be played ahead of him, it won't help him develop. As opposed to if it was totally Minnesota's franchise where the coach would have to work with his top 6 forward to get him out of the slump rather than just play the players that are working well for him at that time.

Not saying it will always happen, but that is something to be cognizant of.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:25 AM
ceber

Since the Wild still hold all the strings here, I don't foresee a problem with our prospects not getting development time. If anyone should be concerned, I think it'd be the Stars. I mean, when the coaching staff gets their paychecks from MS&E, and when Tom Thompson's the GM, I'd think the Wild prospects will get every opportunity the team wants them to get.
I'd imagine the Stars must be trying to find an new primary affiliate to have all to themselves. From the sounds of it, Utah wasn't too pleased with the way the Stars handled things, so maybe a new primary won't be so easy to find for them.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:17 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
First off Holmqvist is back and playing. Kettles is now out with a broken finger. Holmqvist can play through an injury or two I believe (rumor was he had a broken hand last year during the run).

Secondly, I really think some of the top name prospects that are on the verge of making it to the NHL will be in Houston from Dallas to save on shipping costs.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Since the Wild still hold all the strings here, I don't foresee a problem with our prospects not getting development time. If anyone should be concerned, I think it'd be the Stars. I mean, when the coaching staff gets their paychecks from MS&E, and when Tom Thompson's the GM, I'd think the Wild prospects will get every opportunity the team wants them to get.
I'd imagine the Stars must be trying to find an new primary affiliate to have all to themselves. From the sounds of it, Utah wasn't too pleased with the way the Stars handled things, so maybe a new primary won't be so easy to find for them.
Respectfully disagree ceber. Hamilton was the Edmonton franchise in 2001-02 and Montreal had the Quebec Citadelles. Claude Julien was an Oilers employee, hence the compensation to Edmonton when Montreal hired him as head coach.

When Edmonton agreed to share the franchise with Montreal, I am sure they thought the same way you did, but I really don't think it worked out that way.

As an example if Bacashihua or Ellis is down there and Harding is down there and Harding slumps, regardless of having your future number one guy worked on, the coach is going to coach to win and be successful and be less inclined to develop players. If you have the franchise to yourself, you have all the control over who and how you develop your players.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
ceber

I'm not familiar with the Edmonton situation. Did they own the AHL franchise? Of course I could be wrong, but when everyone in Houston is an employee of the Wild, it seems to me they won't hurt a Wild prospect for the sake of a Stars prospect.

'Course, the Wild don't seem to view top-line ice time as a requirement for prospect development, so when everyone's thinking we're getting screwed by the deal, the Wild may not think anything like that at all.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I'm not familiar with the Edmonton situation. Did they own the AHL franchise? Of course I could be wrong, but when everyone in Houston is an employee of the Wild, it seems to me they won't hurt a Wild prospect for the sake of a Stars prospect.

'Course, the Wild don't seem to view top-line ice time as a requirement for prospect development, so when everyone's thinking we're getting screwed by the deal, the Wild may not think anything like that at all.
Yep, the situation was identical to the one you are in now. Edmonton's franchise, they sign an agreement with Montreal and that took away from the development of Edmonton's prospects.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:25 PM
ceber

Good thing it's only a one-year deal at this point then. We'll have to see what happens. Despite the problems Edmonton had I still have hopes that a handful of Stars prospects won't cause much trouble at all for our guys.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:44 PM
strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Yep, the situation was identical to the one you are in now. Edmonton's franchise, they sign an agreement with Montreal and that took away from the development of Edmonton's prospects.
Disagree with the notion that the shared affiliation hurt the development of Edmonton's prospects. Semenov, Bergeron, Hemsky, Conklin, Torres and Stoll were all on that Hamilton team that lost to the Aeros in the Calder cup last year. They all played full time in Edmonton this year. In addition two or three others from that team saw part time duty with the Oilers. Having both teams top prospects not only helps the team but the prospects from both clubs who play harder to get the majority of ice time. Compare that to our Aeros who beat them yet supposedly had no one who could make the Wild???? Whose team suffered? Or which teams management recognized the talent in the minors and cut loose the deadweight?

Old
04-14-2004, 07:58 PM
pete1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
First off Holmqvist is back and playing. Kettles is now out with a broken finger. Holmqvist can play through an injury or two I believe (rumor was he had a broken hand last year during the run).

Secondly, I really think some of the top name prospects that are on the verge of making it to the NHL will be in Houston from Dallas to save on shipping costs.
Sorry you are wrong here. Holmquist is the one with the broken finger. Kettles has been playing the last games until last weekend. Cloutier relieved him on Friday and then started on saturday. Harding is down to play if needed.

I believe the coach has lost hope in kettles but will dress him as Cloutier's backup tomorrow. If Cloutier falters Harding will start the next one.

Closed Thread