HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Rituals or superstitions when watching or attending a games?

Old
10-03-2009, 06:24 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Rituals or superstitions when watching or attending a games?

It's completely irrational and I don't know why I do it but ever since I moved I won't ever wear a home jersey on game night, and if I am watching the game on television at home, I have a pair of CCM gloves I use for hockey that are brick red that I will wear during the game (only taken off during intermission and commercial breaks)

I know I can't be the only loon, Anyone else have superstition or things they do?

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

vCash: 500
I like to have a beer or 2 and Macho Nachos before the game starts when I'm in attendance.

At home I switch off to wearing a jersey and or having a hockey stick in possession.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

When I was a little kid, I had a ton rituals and superstitions when watching Coyotes games at home. All my Coyotes gear was lost along the years. I picked up a couple of replica jerseys for like ten bucks a pop at the sports authority last season, though. Sometimes I'd throw one on while watching a game at home. Match colors with the team, too. Not every game, but sometimes. I think I will tonight.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Great question. Our family has a whole slew of rituals for home games - we've perfected the process over five years of being season ticket holders.

Our traditions obviously involve wearing jerseys. You have to wear a jersey. In fact, we routinely bring an extra jersey along when we invite friends so that they won’t be left out.

We also sing in the car on the way to the arena. We have a set playlist, in fact, and the singing is compulsory. If you don’t know the words, you at least hum along. Here is our playlist, followed strictly:
  • “The Good Ol’ Hockey Game” by Stompin’ Tom Connors
  • “I Wanna Drive the Zamboni” by Gear Daddies
  • “The Hockey Song” by Jughead (the kids fight amongst each other to do the individual parts, but all of them can sing the whole chorus in one breath)
  • “Me Like Hockey” by The Arrogant Worms
  • “Gretzky Rocks” by Moe Berg
  • “A Little Bit South of Saskatoon” by Sonny James

That playlist gets us from our front door to the arena almost perfectly. If there's traffic (*snicker*) we supplement the playlist with "Ready to Roll" or "Crowd Chant."

When we get to the arena, the first thing we do is buy some hot chocolate. For some reason, the Job has awesome hot chocolate. It is served so volcanically hot that it’s not even fit to sip until the middle of the first period, and we buy it a half-hour before the first faceoff.

That's about it. But we do this at every home game - even when we have visitors in the car.

What can I say... we're hockey fans.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Great question. Our family has a whole slew of rituals for home games - we've perfected the process over five years of being season ticket holders.

Our traditions obviously involve wearing jerseys. You have to wear a jersey. In fact, we routinely bring an extra jersey along when we invite friends so that they won’t be left out.

We also sing in the car on the way to the arena. We have a set playlist, in fact, and the singing is compulsory. If you don’t know the words, you at least hum along. Here is our playlist, followed strictly:
  • “The Hockey Song” by Jughead (the kids fight amongst each other to do the individual parts, but all of them can sing the whole chorus in one breath)

That playlist gets us from our front door to the arena almost perfectly. If there's traffic (*snicker*) we supplement the playlist with "Ready to Roll" or "Crowd Chant."

When we get to the arena, the first thing we do is buy some hot chocolate. For some reason, the Job has awesome hot chocolate. It is served so volcanically hot that it’s not even fit to sip until the middle of the first period, and we buy it a half-hour before the first faceoff.

That's about it. But we do this at every home game - even when we have visitors in the car.

Very original. I love it! Especially the part about bring an extra jersey to the game so a guest of yours can wear.

Maybe you can get a recording contract so we can this sing along played at the arena along with using the jumbotron to help fans in the audience sing along with the words of each song is being played.

It would be one big karaoke!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post

Will you adopt me? I'm twenty four but I look like I'm sixteen, and I act like I'm twelve. We can just pretend.

Old
10-03-2009, 08:19 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I act like I'm twelve.
I don't think many 12 year olds drink like you do.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Would it be even the least bit shocking if I said that I did when I was twelve?

Old
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
They do, but soda instead of alcohol.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
ower

vCash: 966
it's settled, what ever you guys did on the 3rd you have to do for the rest of the season!!

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:22 PM
AZCOYOT

I just wear whatever jersey the team is wearing while watching the game.. I still need the 3rd though.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:37 PM
hao chi

I swore off wearing my third jersey when I watch games last year. Maybe I'll give it another try this year, but definitely not at the home opener.

Also, I'm never going to place a bet on VBookie regarding the Coyotes. I know if I say they're going to win they'll lose, and I don't feel right betting against them.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
I swore off wearing my third jersey when I watch games last year. Maybe I'll give it another try this year, but definitely not at the home opener.

Also, I'm never going to place a bet on VBookie regarding the Coyotes. I know if I say they're going to win they'll lose, and I don't feel right betting against them.
The 3rd served me well four straight March 21-April 2 last year. I wear a jersey until we lose. After the April 7 loss with me wearing my 3rd, I wore my brick-red Doaner to the finale and we won. I wore it in LA to open the season last Saturday, and will wear it on Saturday (under something white, of course).

I play fantasy hockey. I NEVER draft a Coyotes player. I prefer to let another team reap any benefits rather than feeling responsible for a Coyotes player under-performing or getting hurt.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:33 PM
hao chi

I wore my Doan third jersey I just got for Christmas to the Kings game near the end of December, and the Coyotes lost 4-0. My jersey also didn't have much luck when I watched a few Coyotes games on TV with it.

My long sleeve Coyotes shirt is fairly lucky. For what it's worth, I wore it on Saturday.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

The Coyotes have never lost a game when I was wearing a Britney Spears cheerleading outfit.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
it's settled, what ever you guys did on the 3rd you have to do for the rest of the season!!
What!!! You mean that I have to go to Lee's Ferry and not watch the game?!?!

Mayo Taco Monday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

All of the ones I had in previous seasons have died. Clearly, they didn't work.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
What!!! You mean that I have to go to Lee's Ferry and not watch the game?!?!
Yeah, I really, really, really don't want to go to dinner with my ex-girlfriend and not get to watch the game until after midnight, every time. Then again, that is a lot of free dinners. A man can only eat so much seared ahi and drink only so many vodka sodas, though.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
TJinAZ

rituals

At home... Bud light with queso dip and tostitos scoops. I have been a fan since 96 so i usually have some sort of Coytoes shwag on even if there isn't a game.

At the Job Bud light in the parking lot with subway bmt listen to the pregame radio show sitting in lawn chairs, then more bud light with peanuts in my seat. The only place that sells bud light is the bar on the east side between the upper and lower bowls on the suite level. I really cant stand the arena coors light or the corona bombers... no matter how many limes I put in it still tastes skunky

Thinking of wearing my "Welcome Wayne Whiteout" t-shirt under my jersey on Saturday just for the irony.

Who all is going to the Tailgate event starting at 3:30?

TJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
CitizenCoyote

When we go to the games, we yell out something random when there is 11:11 left in a period. Not always in every period, but almost always in the third.

If you hear something random at 8:49 of the third period near you in the arena, that's us!

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote