HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part 2 - Leafs vs. Caps| OCT. 3 | 7.00 PM ET | CBC (HD)

Old
10-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Zardoz

vCash: 500
Wallin-Stemps- and especially Mitchell looked good out there... the top line of Blake/Stajan/Stalberg, not so hot, they were being pushed around a bit, separated from the puck too easily.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:43 PM
zeke
#freewilly

and by the way - the leafs have scored 7 goals in their first two games, even with their top scorer injured. they also led the preseason in scoring.

weak offensive team, for sure.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:44 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLC View Post
OT: Tavares scored his first NHL goal tonight against the Pens.
Nice, I have him in my pool.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Call of the loonie

vCash: 50
I know it would be a drastic move, but I would put Rosehill in Blake's spot and bump Blake down to the 3rd or 4th line. That forward group needs someone to do the banging.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Someone said it in the other thread. Defense here has ALWAYS been questionable. ALWAYS. But Cujo, Eddie Eagle always made it seem like it didn't matter. They made the stops they NEEDED to make when the defense broke down. Toskala doesn't do that, so i think it really freaks the team out and they make really bad plays (see: Komisarek poke checking in the neutral zone), because there is NO FAITH in Toskala.

Gustavasson stopped the puck when he had to. (Quite frankly, and I've said this, he could have stopped a goal), but with every stop he made, the defense got better. Coincidence?, I think not.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafSadist

vCash: 729
Despite Toskala's 0.625 save percentage this game, there's still a chance Wilson will start him against Ottawa. Some thought the Monster should have started tonight and he still went to Toskala, so I don't see him giving up on Toskala just yet.

I could be wrong, of course. All things considered, Monster should start the next game.

LeafSadist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:45 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Where can I catch the post-game?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
and by the way - the leafs have scored 7 goals in their first two games, even with their top scorer injured. they also led the preseason in scoring.

weak offensive team, for sure.
I don't really count the third period goals. Garbage time.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Another problem I have with this team is there is NO energy line.

They need a 3rd line of pluggers who can play. Guys who can go out there and just check the crap out of the other teams defense and set some tone. They need some Talbots, some Kennedy's, Helm's, Larose's... etc. Those types of players are essential to winning teams IMO.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The team seemed to play with more heart with Gus in net. Maybe they wanted to play hard for him.

Hagman scored, but he isn't the best decision maker out there with the puck.

I think they have to make some changes to this team.
The team also might have wanted to play hard for Ron Wilson. I'm sure he has said a lot of thangs after and during that first period.

Also I'm still saying this: Luke Schenn's role last season was to be a MAN, playing big minutes. This season: His role is to be a guy, be a player for the team. Not playing big minutes.
There's a big difference. Now he doesn't think he's a man, but just a young guy. Fresh fish.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Good to make it interesting towards the end.

The Capitals are the one team that genuinely scares me. I mean, Pittsburgh and Philly, I know they're good.. But I don't get the same feeling with them. Washington is just scary.
I completely agree. Something about that red jersey scares the crap out of me.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
p.l.f.
mvp

i rarely see this team play well defensively
i question ron wilson's coaching

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NomNom
Oh Yeah

Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
Ottawa is another team with a lot of fire power. Should be interesting to see who gets the start.

Losing is part of the game, I understand, but being manhandled out there is not what I like to see. This team is not built to play the way it has been out there. It's a real mess. Can't figure out our system, just a bunch of running and chasing around. The coaching staff needs to be held accountable here as well, seems like much of the same from last season.

NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
I want Gustavsson in net vs Ottawa. Toskala will probably get the start, but if he doesn't play well (and I mean well.. 2 goals or less against with more than 20 shots allowed), it's time to pull the trigger and let the Toskala project go. The guy struggles making the first save, the rebound is definitely going in. It's not working.
Okay - do you count the goal he will automatically let in, or an actual 2 goals? (because seriously when he plays I mentally put us a goal down right off the bat).

Old
10-03-2009, 08:47 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Washington didn't shut it down, they would've scored 12 if they could. The Leafs happened to mend the bleeding and turned the game around. Way too late, but not completely worthless.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

A positive outlook: In a game where our defence plays the worst it possibly can, and Toskala does it no favours in the first, we lose to the 2nd best team in the Eastern conference by two goals.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
I agree, he's no better than Paul Maurice!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Don't worry guys - brutal goaltending just kills a team's confidence, and we all witnessed the team just sag completely after what Vesa did tonight (compounded by his performance in game1, in the preseason, and last season).

He just guts this team.

You saw how they slowly started to gain back some confidence with Gusto in there providing real NHL calibre goaltending.

If Toskala starts next game, Wilson and Burke should both be shot.
Toskala had to make that first save, and when he didn't it was panic time.

White started confused, but I think that was because he was on his off-side. He and Finger really settled down.

Schenn has some good moments, but you can really see he is a 2nd. year teenager. He can't play in the top 4 right now.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
funny, the Bruins weren't able to score any garbage time goals when they were down big against the Caps last game.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Which is weird, because .... when he was with SJ, he had great defense, and the leagues best PK

Old
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

finger looked good guys. he was sound defensively, made some good hits in a pk at the end of the game (along with schenn) and made a pretty play setting up a goal.

Wow. Good for him.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
A positive outlook: In a game where our defence plays the worst it possibly can, and Toskala does it no favours in the first, we lose to the 2nd best team in the Eastern conference by two goals.
Sure, go ahead and sugar coat this loss. The Caps just let up in the 3rd!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaiming93 View Post
finger looked good guys. he was sound defensively, made some good hits in a pk at the end of the game (along with schenn) and made a pretty play setting up a goal.

Wow. Good for him.
Shouldn't be surprising, he's a good defenseman. If people could get past his contract they might realize that.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
The problem in the first half the game was that the Leafs were scared. Plain and simple. They were intimidated.

When they started coming on they were going balls to the walls with no fear. If they are going to make the playoffs they need to play like that for the next 80 games.

Yeah defense needs to tighten up but they need to find a way to have that fire all game long. They had it in the preseason and looked fast. Today, they looked slow. They need a win under their belt so they can go forward with some confidence.

And Gustavsson starts. No doubt about it. I wanted to give Toskala some slack but no time for experiments this season.
I agree 100%.

Toskala has been given a bit of slack to start of the season but Wilson has to pull the leash.

I realize that he wants to give him confidence but it's been 3 games (including the last pre-season game) where he's looked average, inconsistent and plain bad sometimes. No rebound control, not challenging enough and not battling through traffic. He needs to sit to a goaltender that has looked much better. Wilson couldn't use a backup last year because he was worst... but he has to use his blue-chip when he has one.

Gustavsson had some good rebound control, hasn't let a weak goal in and looked much more confident.

The defense needs to play like they did in the third, consistenly. Beauchemin actually looked good in that third, making some good passes and not getting caught.

Again, people need to look at the positives alot more and move forward. Detroit, Vancouver and Carolina, all 3 are locks for the playoffs, are starting the season 0-2.

To be honest, usually slow starting teams finish the season much stronger than the teams that started off hot. Just look at last year.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Mr Scarface*

How about this: Trade Vesa Toskala, Ian White and Alex Ponikarovsky for Evgeni Nabokov and Logan Couture.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote