HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Any benefit to sending Schenn down?

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Unless this kid's head is on right I could see all the praised lavished on him going to his ego and ruining him before he's even a good NHLer. The kind of 'future captain' comments upper management constantly brings up would probably make anybody buy into their own hype. Get to work Luke Schenn, you're not that good and you have a long way to go.

Old
10-04-2009, 12:01 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo619 View Post
Aug 2009...by the looks of my calendar, its October..

alright, 4 of 5 posts are in this thread,

still fail

Old
10-04-2009, 12:15 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo619 View Post
Wilson should be punched in the face for the roster he made...The KIDS outplayed these vets, yet the kids are in the Minors, and we're playing with idiot veterans who don't need to do anything because they feel their spot is still guaranteed...

Send XLB, Mayers, Primeau, Orr to the Marlies...Call up Gunnarsson, Kulemin, Bozak and Tlusty...We will then see how much this team turns around...Enough of this ******** where the veterans get priority when they DO NOT DESERVE IT...and Wilson needs to stop having a "soft spot" for players, if he is playing like ****, DON'T LET HIM PLAY..
100% agreed (although i do like XLB), mayers and primeau have no spot up here, Bozak and Kulemin deserve it... Tlusty was quiet in the pre-season, let him make some nmoise before a call up

Old
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAllTimer View Post
Talk about an over-hyped pylon.

Luke Schenn was never that good. Potential? Sorry, what you see is what you get. Just a very ordinary joe from the beginning.

Leaf management thinks Leafs fans are gullible and stupid. Suckers that will buy anything. Won't be long, Schenn will be booed out of town.
GTFO He is sort of a Scott Stevens mold, he hasn't showed much signs of having the Offensive abilities yet, but that will come.

Old
10-04-2009, 12:51 PM
dybbuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFF View Post
100% agreed (although i do like XLB), mayers and primeau have no spot up here, Bozak and Kulemin deserve it... Tlusty was quiet in the pre-season, let him make some nmoise before a call up
So who plays 4th line? Bozak/Kulemin?

Old
10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
bunjay

i think a lot of leafs fans see schenn through rose tinted glasses. he needs to work on his skating, he looks slow as hell.

Old
10-04-2009, 01:06 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Next it points to coach Wilson here and his system.. Beauchemin has been nothing short of awful, and been on for 8 of Leafs 10 league leading goals against, but its not all his fault. Wilson has stated opening he wants his Dmen to aggressively pinch and hold the puck in the offensive zone and its costing the Leafs dearly, in odd man rushes and complete defensive breakdowns. One has to question the logic of the coach, when the GM brings in defensive Dman in Komi, Beauchemin, Exelby and combine them with Schenn and Finger to help prevent goals against, and they're asked to play aggressive offensively taking them way way out of their comfort zone.. Players like Schenn, Komi and Beauch are use to being paired with an offensive dman and being the responsible one of the pairing defensively. These kinds of dmen play safe games and are often most comfortable defending then attacking. If they go unnoticed in a game its usually a sign of a good game for them, but now they're being exposed..

We have a square peg in a round hole situation here, where player personnel are asked to play to their weaknesses and not their strengths. IMO..
Boom, headshot.

I can speak for Komisarek. With Markov out, he was asked to take Markov's role, and failed miserably. It's just not him. He doesn't have the speed and vision to pinch in regularily, as it will cost him more goals than he will produce. It's a minus move to have Komi go offensive.

Beauchemin seems like he's the same kind. Result, in 2 games, he was out of position a lot more than what has been seen of him so far in his career.

Weird stuff indeed.

Old
10-04-2009, 01:10 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Sometimes this fanbase embarrasses me.

Old
10-04-2009, 01:21 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

No reason to send him down, but every reason to keep this 19 year old in more limited minutes and matchups behind the top-4 of Kabby, Beauch, White, and Komi.

Old
10-04-2009, 01:22 PM
mckly
follow @dugs27 hky

******* this team needs schenn

Old
10-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Moscowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
No reason to send him down, but every reason to keep this 19 year old in more limited minutes and matchups behind the top-4 of Kabby, Beauch, White, and Komi.
i'm sure logging 7-10 minutes a game will do wonders for his development...

Old
10-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
QFT

Old
10-04-2009, 01:56 PM
beleaf101

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretinageek View Post
He will be just fine. Started the year with new partner(Beauchman) whos had a real tough start. At times Wilson had him playing the wrong side. His lack of foot speed is noticable because its kind of a track meet out there in the first 2 games. Soon as Wilson gets the team playing a tighter game he will look better. Remember he is 19!!!!

Old
10-04-2009, 02:12 PM
LOGAN29

Quote:
He's taken a step back, not playing intelligently and is often out of position. His offensive game needs a good deal of work. Sending him down would give him opportunity to do what he should have last year. He will not develop into the shut-down defenseman he was drafted to be 5th overall by playing this way... What y'all think?
You have got to be kidding me.... Hard to look good when Beauchemin is running around like a chicken with his head cut off and Schenn is scrambling trying to help him.

Old
10-04-2009, 02:13 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
no defenseman gets 7-10 minutes a game.

He'll get 18-20 minutes or so as most #5 defensemen do.

if he plays great, he'll play more.

Old
10-04-2009, 06:11 PM
LastCupUpNorth

Sophomore Slump.

He's not a rookie anymore, he's trying to impress people and probably putting unreal expectations on himself instead of taking it steady.

Old
10-04-2009, 08:51 PM
MugenSilverSiR

Well the season sure has started...so too have the boo birds. It's only 2 game...

Dude who started the thread, chillax. If anything I feel that Schenn is playing better than Beauchemin. At times Beau seems lost out there. Him and Schenn don't make for a good pairing.

Old
10-04-2009, 10:02 PM
leafmon

Threads like this keep me off the Leaf boards......just retarded

Old
10-04-2009, 10:13 PM
bunjay

how is it retarded to question schenn's development at this point?

sure he plays hard, and has tons of potential. but it doesnt matter how many 1on1 battles for the puck you win if you do something stupid with it right after (which ive seen happen quite a bit already this season), or cant accelerate fast enough to maintain posession. im noticing his acceleration and footspeed is relatively poor. so he spends a lot of time trying to recover the puck from half a step behind the guy.

and yeah,m to be fair, beauchemin has only made it harder for him. maybe the expectations are unfair, a lot of leafs fans seem to think schenn is right on the cusp of becoming the ultimate defensive defenseman, and those same fans are the ones who want to ignore any flaws in his game and ridicule people who point them out.

like, for example, whats up with his amateurish shot?

Old
10-04-2009, 10:24 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
So who plays 4th line? Bozak/Kulemin?
Mitchell to 4th line, Bozak to 3rd, and Kulemin to 4th as well

Old
10-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Stats01

What would the purpose exactly of sending him down? To play on a ****** Marlies team. Ohh how quick we forget. To the OP, the season is 2 games old LOL, and you want to ship Schenn down to the Marlies because you *THINK* he's taken a step back. Not only is it stupid to send Schenn down it's also WAYYYYY too early to judge any player on their play. To say Schenn is regressed from last year in two games into his sophomore year is quite franky one of the dumbest things I've read on here. I don't want to make this too long but I'll just leave this at..... THANK THE BABY JESUS YOU ARE NOT OUR GM LOLLLL...

Old
10-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Tell me about it. Jeez. I hate people who look at things game to game, it's very short sighted to the max. Everyone was raving about Schenn last year, and just because he isn't playing up to par after just 2 games they want him down in the minors. I didn't know 2 bad games got you sent down, especially since he was probably our best pure d man last year as a 19 year old.

Old
10-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Randall Graves*

He's not Shea Weber andnever will be I saw those comparisons around the net and they are ridiculous, Schenn is not going to score 20 goals.

he's the victim of higher expectations and teams having a book as well

Old
10-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Jack DiBiase
wrist-oh-lie-nun

He's the next Aki Berg.

Old
10-05-2009, 02:58 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

geez he hasn't even looked that bad. it's been a few plays but they happened to end up in our net so they are magnified. he still looks pretty good out there (sounds like the Kabby talk of last season)

Closed Thread