HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any benefit to sending Schenn down?

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2009, 03:02 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

vCash: 500
the whole team is a mess right now, and i think it's mainly the system. komisarek and beauchemin are much bigger problems, and they're supposed to be experienced.

Old
10-05-2009, 03:49 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Leafs are a rush job imho. We do everything wrong. We trade away first round picks with out having been in the playoffs for a very long time. We trade away young assets for poor return and rely to heavily on young unproven players when it might have been better to let them develop at a slower pace. Just because they are built like grown ups does not mean they have the mental strength of one. We do the opposite of what Detroit are doing. Well, we keep betting on back up goalies to be starters like they do, that is one thing we got in common. A lot of it have to do with rebuild not being good enough for a club of this size even do it might be what the doctor have ordered. And we all know these rebuilds can go on forever if the club is not lucky with it´s picks.
Babcock said it best. You should be very patient with young players before they become established in the NHL but not so much once they are.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:06 AM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Actually, on the winner there were more than one problem player.

1. Schenn biting and swallowing the fake slap
2. Toskala showing zero rebound control
3. No one covering anyone

However, I find it amazing that so many people have no concern about Kulemin being out of the line up, Bozak being sent down, Hanson being sent down, Tlusty being sent down, Kadri being sent down but talk about Schenn and WTF are you talking about????

Schenn hasn't been good, and he's only 19. Everyone too afraid he'll cry and run home to mommy? Do we have a Sergei Kostitsyn or Mikhail Grabovski on our hands that he'll run away and ask his agent to get him traded?

The name of the team is Toronto Maple Leafs, not the Toronto Luke Schenns.
Those players haven't succeeded at the NHL level like Luke has. Its going to take more than 2 mediocre games (neither of which was glaringly bad) for him to be demoted... considering that he played 20 minutes per game last year.

I don't know of a single instance where any teams best young player (with significant NHL experience) was demoted after 2 poor games. It is an absolutely ridiculous proposition.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretinageek View Post
Part of what prompted me to bring this up was watching Shea Weber play last night. Schenn has A LOT to learn...
Well if every defenseman who isn't as good as Shea Weber needs to be sent down most then NHL teams are going to be playing games with 2-3 defensemen tops.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Those players haven't succeeded at the NHL level like Luke has. Its going to take more than 2 mediocre games (neither of which was glaringly bad) for him to be demoted... considering that he played 20 minutes per game last year.

I don't know of a single instance where any teams best young player (with significant NHL experience) was demoted after 2 poor games. It is an absolutely ridiculous proposition.
He has an agenda, you won't change his mind. Stopped being about the best for the Leafs a long time ago sadly.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:25 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Leafs are a rush job imho. We do everything wrong. We trade away first round picks with out having been in the playoffs for a very long time. We trade away young assets for poor return and rely to heavily on young unproven players when it might have been better to let them develop at a slower pace. Just because they are built like grown ups does not mean they have the mental strength of one. We do the opposite of what Detroit are doing. Well, we keep betting on back up goalies to be starters like they do, that is one thing we got in common. A lot of it have to do with rebuild not being good enough for a club of this size even do it might be what the doctor have ordered. And we all know these rebuilds can go on forever if the club is not lucky with it´s picks.
Babcock said it best. You should be very patient with young players before they become established in the NHL but not so much once they are.
Detroit is in a unique team where they have a core group of players who have been with the team for a long time so it isn't easy for young players to get into the lineup with little pro experience. Every coach would love to be in that situation but only Babcock and other Detroit coaches have been over recent years.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

detroit is obviously more screwed up than the leafs.

after all, they're 0-2-0 so far this year.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
detroit is obviously more screwed up than the leafs.

after all, they're 0-2-0 so far this year.
They are on pace for ZERO FREAKIN' POINTS!!!!1

Old
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

and New Jersey is as much a mess defensively as the Leafs are, what with their identical 5.00gaa and .815sv%.

and Anaheim (4.00gaa, .892sv%), Vancouver (4.00gaa, .840sv%), Detroit (4.50gaa, .836sv%), and Carolina (4.50gaa, .870sv%) are almost as much of a mess defensively was we are too.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
ItsOurGame

I don't think it's absurd at all to consider sending Schenn down...I think it should be mentioned that from my understanding he would have to go to the W rather than the A, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I have just just a couple points. Think of any stalwart young defenseman, Phaneuf, Weber, Bieska, Cobourn, Bouwmeester...All these players spent time in the AHL to develope into the players they are today. Look at Bouwmeester as well, he spent 2 years in the NHL and was a 20 point defenseman, went down to the AHL for a year and came out a 40-50 point defenseman. If the AHL is good enough for all these players, how is it not good enough for Schenn? He isn't the second coming... Now I know also just because it worked for them doesn't mean it works for Luke, but the way I look at it---Schenn would be sent down to a winning atmosphere, what with the team the Marlies have, and he could be the cornerstone to there success and winning it all, there number one go-to guy on the point, and he could really work on his offense. Here he could develop into a number one defenseman in all aspects of the game, PK, PP and 5-5, in a safe winning enviroment with his closest peers, people who will be on the team in the future. This also gives the leafs a chance to show off there other defenseman as trade bait for the deadline, where we can just call Schenn back up. Its really not that crazy of an idea at all...It annoys the *** out of me when people just say 'this is retarded' or 'this embarasses me', make a point people. PS this isn't me saying I want to send him down, this is just me saying that its not completely absurd.

Old
10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
He has an agenda, you won't change his mind. Stopped being about the best for the Leafs a long time ago sadly.
Agenda is saying a 19 year old is too good for the AHL, based on one mediocre season in the NHL when they had no choice but to play him in the NHL or Junior.

Agenda is thinking 19 year old 1st. round pick could not possibly benefit from playing in the AHL.

Another agenda is naming him Captain before he's earned anything close to it.

This year he'll be 20, so playing in the AHL is an option.

Leafs would have patience for a rebuild, but sending a 20 year old annointed saviour to the minors is out of the question?

Burke and MLSE knows there is no patience for a rebuild, therefore they've ignored the loud minority and gone for a retool.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

2 games in and so far we've got:

Send Luke Schenn Down!!
Komisarek sucks!
Beauchemin is like McCabe but worse
Fire Burke!!

Old
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM