HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lisa Loeb? Really?

Old
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Kngswin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
At least it was short. We could have had some like 15 minute bagpipe medley and spinning violinists on tight wires like Edmonton
WINNER !!!!!!!!!!

Kngswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Why not play the Finnish anthem? The Russian anthem?
Honestly, looking at the rosters, the Czech or Slovak anthem probably would've been more appopriate Saturday. Although, like I said before, the Kings do have a large amount of Americans compared to the other teams in the league.

Why not just avoid it all together? I can't honestly think of a good reason to perform it in the first place. The fact that most US arenas currently omit the Canadian national anthem in a sport that is dominated by Canadian nationals is pretty much proof that the singing of the anthem has no significance to the game being played at all.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If you want your shot at glory here is the contact info:National Anthem Singers
If you would like the opportunity to sing the National Anthem at STAPLES Center, please submit your tape to: Ben Salisbury, c/o STAPLES Center, 1111 South Figueroa Street, Suite 3100, Los Angeles, CA 90015.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:59 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
At least it was short. We could have had some like 15 minute bagpipe medley and spinning violinists on tight wires like Edmonton
For whatever reason I think of the Sabre Dance song.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Honestly, looking at the rosters, the Czech or Slovak anthem probably would've been more appopriate Saturday. Although, like I said before, the Kings do have a large amount of Americans compared to the other teams in the league.

Why not just avoid it all together? I can't honestly think of a good reason to perform it in the first place. The fact that most US arenas currently omit the Canadian national anthem in a sport that is dominated by Canadian nationals is pretty much proof that the singing of the anthem has no significance to the game being played at all.
the anthems just serve as a reminder to me. the reason i can see them singing both anthems is because it is a sport where all the teams in the league are located either in the united states or in canada.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:08 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If you want your shot at glory here is the contact info:National Anthem Singers
If you would like the opportunity to sing the National Anthem at STAPLES Center, please submit your tape to: Ben Salisbury, c/o STAPLES Center, 1111 South Figueroa Street, Suite 3100, Los Angeles, CA 90015.
waste of time unless you're friends with the robitaille's, plus you don't have to sing the national anthem apparently.

Old
10-05-2009, 02:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
waste of time unless you're friends with the robitaille's, plus you don't have to sing the national anthem apparently.
I suggested Carl Lewis or Ashlee Simpson for game 2.

Old
10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
the anthems just serve as a reminder to me.
But why do I need a reminder when I'm at a pro sporting event? Why am I not reminded at the theater? Or work? Or pretty much anywhere else I go?

I just think it serves no purpose.

Quote:
the reason i can see them singing both anthems is because it is a sport where all the teams in the league are located either in the united states or in canada.
Well that would certainly make sense.

Old
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I suggested Carl Lewis or Ashlee Simpson for game 2.
Sweet! I'll suggest Roseanne Barr and that girl that slipped in fell on the ice after forgetting the words that is pasted on every sports bloopers video. She needs a second chance and who better to give it to her than the Kings!

Old
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
not tellin*

in case anyone hasn't heard them...

Old
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

The best part about Carl Lewis is that he actually made his interactive with the fans.

Old
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
But why do I need a reminder when I'm at a pro sporting event? Why am I not reminded at the theater? Or work? Or pretty much anywhere else I go?

I just think it serves no purpose.

Well that would certainly make sense.
The playing of the National Anthem before sporting events was sporadic before WW II, primarily only played at baseball games. It became a standard feature of all sporting events and even large public gatherings around the start of America's involvement in WW II as a show of patriotism and solidarity at a time when winning the war wasn't a sure thing. It's just become a custom since then and has been prominent in times of strife - 9/11, Gulf War 1, etc.

It does have an important purpose though, above and beyond the patriotic custom. It can be a very important tool to charge up the fans. A loud, revved-up, frenzied atmosphere is one of the differences between a regular season game and a playoff game - isn't that what you would want to create before the opening faceoff?

I believe that the players really do feed off of that energy, making the game even more exciting. The proof of that is that Luc Robitaille remembered how much Warren Wiebe's rendition of America the Beautiful got the crowd going in the 1993 playoffs and wanted to recreate that level of excitement. If you've ever seen a tape of the Kate Smith / God Bless America / Philadelphia Flyers connection, you'd understand instantly just how much that custom meant to the fans and the team.

Having Lisa Loeb sing "God Bless America" on Opening Night just goes to prove that the people behind the scenes in the Kings organ-eye-zation don't care enough to have a clue. I've seen a bunch of comments on a number of sites, but I don't think that I've seen a positive one yet. Seriously, was that really the best option that they had? Was Lindsay Ridgeway demanding an extra McFlurry or something? Is Mandy Pinto out on IR? Where was Wild Orchid when you really needed them?

Hell, they would have had triple the reaction if they stuck Heidi Androl out there and let her try to sing it - and I have no idea if she can sing or not, but it probably wouldn't have mattered to the inebriated masses.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
The playing of the National Anthem before sporting events was sporadic before WW II, primarily only played at baseball games. It became a standard feature of all sporting events and even large public gatherings around the start of America's involvement in WW II as a show of patriotism and solidarity at a time when winning the war wasn't a sure thing. It's just become a custom since then and has been prominent in times of strife - 9/11, Gulf War 1, etc.

It does have an important purpose though, above and beyond the patriotic custom. It can be a very important tool to charge up the fans. A loud, revved-up, frenzied atmosphere is one of the differences between a regular season game and a playoff game - isn't that what you would want to create before the opening faceoff?

I believe that the players really do feed off of that energy, making the game even more exciting. The proof of that is that Luc Robitaille remembered how much Warren Wiebe's rendition of America the Beautiful got the crowd going in the 1993 playoffs and wanted to recreate that level of excitement. If you've ever seen a tape of the Kate Smith / God Bless America / Philadelphia Flyers connection, you'd understand instantly just how much that custom meant to the fans and the team.

Having Lisa Loeb sing "God Bless America" on Opening Night just goes to prove that the people behind the scenes in the Kings organ-eye-zation don't care enough to have a clue. I've seen a bunch of comments on a number of sites, but I don't think that I've seen a positive one yet. Seriously, was that really the best option that they had? Was Lindsay Ridgeway demanding an extra McFlurry or something? Is Mandy Pinto out on IR? Where was Wild Orchid when you really needed them?

Hell, they would have had triple the reaction if they stuck Heidi Androl out there and let her try to sing it - and I have no idea if she can sing or not, but it probably wouldn't have mattered to the inebriated masses.
Best thing I've read in some time on the board. To be fair, it looked like she slimmed down some last year after putting on the Freshman 40.

The answer to the problem though is Davis Gaines. He always gets the place going and his botox face is still worth it.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Have you ever read a good review about a national anthem singer? I think the only time you really ever hear about a national anthem is when it is awful. I'd wager to say we've all seen way more meaningless performances of the national anthem than ones we've remembered (positively).

I remember the national anthem at the home opener after 9/11. I don't remember who sang it but I remember feeling it was appropriate then because of what just happened and the fact that the Kings organization was directly effected. I just think that they should leave the politics out of sports in general. Especially when you do it for every single game. Memorial Day? The 4th of July? Sure. Maybe for some other various days of significance but before every game played in America, is that not excessive? Now I watch the Dodger game and they've gotta sing "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch AFTER the national anthem. I think it is incredibly excessive and has lost any significance it may have once had. In most places around the country you'll generally find people going to the restroom, getting a beer or yelling stuff while it is being performed anyways. How incredibly patriotic!

Old
10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Have you ever read a good review about a national anthem singer?
You're probably not old enough to remember it, but....

Old
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

I vote Hasselhoff.

Old
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
You're probably not old enough to remember it, but....
You had to go back to what... the 80's? Late 70's? to find one. How many times have you seen a Lisa Loeb-like performance? Probably too many to count. Imagine the irony of Marvin or another black man singing that song 20-30 years earlier. "Land of the free".. yeah right!

I still don't see a reason why it should be performed before every game. I think its main use in sports these days is basically like the warning that the games going to start. "Oh crap! National Anthem.. lets take a leak and get a beer real quick". God Bless America!!

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 10-05-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old
10-05-2009, 06:24 PM
mbar

Quote:

I still don't see a reason why it should be performed before every game. I think its main use in sports these days is basically like the warning that the games going to start. "Oh crap! National Anthem.. lets take a leak and get a beer real quick". God Bless America!!
You're against the national anthem? Really?

It's quite a tradition in this country you know.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

Yes and No

Like another poster mentioned it's only been around for about 40-50 years.

Also if you recall there was talk briefly before 9/11 about why it's even done. As you can imagine, and I am sure you remembered George Bush saying it at least 10 times... 9/11 changed everything

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:43 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

I wasnt there Saturday so cant comment on how awful it was, but at one of the pre-season games, I think it was Phoenix, a young girl sang the antyhem and BELTED it out, like it should be.

If the anthems are to be sung, (and they always will be), the singers must have a really strong voice or hit the highs with great flair. Anything less, and the anthem leaves the home team flat!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

What purpose does it serve? There are quite a number of US citizens, including some of the people that perform the song, that don't even know the words. If there isn't a reason for something, then why do it? Especially when we are talking about bringing politics into something that is supposed to be entertainment. Sure I get July 4th and some other national holiday. Hell even the first game of the playoffs or something where it is a special occasion. Singing it before every single game (hockey or not) in the country is a bit ridiculous and is probably why you never see performances like Marvin Gaye's etc.

I think it gets even more ridiculous when you now see the 7th inning stretch has turned into a patriotic rally. Just play the friggin game. Nobody pays attention to this crap in the first place. Like I said, you usually find people making a dash to the bathroom or grabbing a beer when this is going on anyways. How patriotic! If they did it for special occasions and what not it might actually mean something.

Old
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
You had to go back to what... the 80's? Late 70's? to find one. How many times have you seen a Lisa Loeb-like performance? Probably too many to count. Imagine the irony of Marvin or another black man singing that song 20-30 years earlier. "Land of the free".. yeah right!

so just bc there was so many mediocre renditions of it that they should not give an F? it obviously doesn't mean that much to you and i can stomach that but for me it's a necessary reminder to reflect for just a few moments of all the "s-swear word" that's going and serve as a healthy serving of some reality before you can sit back and relax and enjoy a sporting event. if anything, just for the people who have served and/or are serving at the moment. i won't go psycho politico/emotional but i believe it's the least we can do to pay some respect before a sporting event. i respect that and all i ask is that whoever is in charge put in some effort to do same, i guess that is too much to ask. i realize not everyone is going to put in an awe-inspiring performance but there's too many other talented people out there that im sure would be more than happy to do it other than lisa loeb(who looked like she was forced into). who knows, maybe i'm completely off on this one.

Old
10-05-2009, 06:56 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
What purpose does it serve? There are quite a number of US citizens, including some of the people that perform the song, that don't even know the words. If there isn't a reason for something, then why do it? Especially when we are talking about bringing politics into something that is supposed to be entertainment. Sure I get July 4th and some other national holiday. Hell even the first game of the playoffs or something where it is a special occasion. Singing it before every single game (hockey or not) in the country is a bit ridiculous and is probably why you never see performances like Marvin Gaye's etc.
it's tradition.

Quote:

I think it gets even more ridiculous when you now see the 7th inning stretch has turned into a patriotic rally. Just play the friggin game. Nobody pays attention to this crap in the first place. Like I said, you usually find people making a dash to the bathroom or grabbing a beer when this is going on anyways. How patriotic! If they did it for special occasions and what not it might actually mean something.
i agree that the 7th inning stretch signing is a bit much. i dont believe that just bc a few disrespectful people don't understand or refuse to ackowledge the national anthem and the perception of its significance that it should not be performed anymore. maybe if there wasn't so many dull performances that people might take it more serious.

Old
10-05-2009, 07:16 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:

I'm not arguing whether the anthem should be played -I like it personally, but I understand your viewpoint.

One of the things that made hockey feel special when I started following the Kings in 1973 were the anthems. Hearing both anthems initially made the experience feel exotic in a way, and they were usually performed by a classically trained singer with a very strong voice. I found this short video about Roger Doucet, the anthem singer at the Montreal Forum from 1971 until his death in 1981:

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=2&id=31541

...not the bimbo du jour as it is today. Warren Wiebe had that effect on the fans - Davis Gaines does to a lesser extent, but at least he gets the crowd buzzing.

Compare Saturday's sleep-inducing performance to this clip from 1974

These are the experiences that made casual observers into hockey fans. Yes, these clips and examples I'm using are old and the current fanbase probably wouldn't embrace this style, but there has to be something more uplifting than a petite pregnant lady sitting at a keyboard, especially for a sport with this much energy and speed.

Old
10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
so just bc there was so many mediocre renditions of it that they should not give an F?
I didn't say people shouldn't give a **** or that they shouldn't perform it. I think the fact of the matter is there are quite a number of people who don't give a **** for a variety of reasons. There are also probably plenty of people that would say they do care just so they don't sound like they are unpatriotic. I'm very respectful when they sing it. I'm not against the national anthem. I just don't see what purpose it serves as a regular function at sporting events. It becomes something we do instead of something that means something (it wasn't always a tradition). The TV networks think it is so important they opt to show commercials during it regularly. What people at home don't need to hear it? No I guess that gets in the way of what is truly patriotic, commerce.

Look at the type of people that end up singing the national anthem at games. Often times it is somebody trying to promote a new record of some kind or to get some publicity. Which isn't surprising why we find so many non-memorable performers. Now that isn't always the case of course but I'm willing to be it does happen. Record companies pushing artists so they shove them into Staples Center to sing the song. With 1000+ NHL hockey games a year (that doesn't even include minor leagues), countless football, baseball and basketball games, how do we expect to get great people to perform at every event?

I think in general, people don't care about what goes on in this country for them to actually care about the national anthem being performed at a sporting event (entertainment) is almost laughable to me. I'm not suggesting everyone in this country should know every single thing that goes on but we all know the vast majority of the American public is uninformed about quite a number of domestic or international affairs. Look at the number of eligible voters and even registered voters that don't turn out to every election. You can't tell me the large number of people in this country that aren't even patriotic enough to support our democracy actually care about the singing the national anthem?