HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Vinny Prospal....anybody else appreciate his enthusiasm ?

Old
10-04-2009, 12:31 PM
noupf

vCash: 500
Vinny Prospal....anybody else appreciate his enthusiasm ?

I don't know how most feel about Vinny, but I have to admit that I am pretty excited to find a euro hockey player who shows this much excitement and enthusiasm after scoring goals. Last night I was sitting in section 304 ( perfect line of site right near the goal line ) and watched him clenched both fists in a pumping motion and screaming "yea" ! as dubinski and gaborik came over to celebrate when he scored the first goal of the game. In the past, I was always a bit perturbed when I would see Jagr, straka or nylander, naslund, scoring goals and not really celebrating with much emotion. Maybe it’s the way they were brought up in their country and what not, but I for one get quite excited each time I score a goal on my hockey team and I find it to be a great boost to a team as well. I hope Vinny can keep it up and show us what he still has left…..and I hope he keeps the emotional level on full volume as well.

Edit......found this pick on nyrangers.com of the first goal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prospal_V_1003_Ins1.jpg‎ (47.2 KB, 161 views)

noupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Doyle

Vinny plays a lot more of a North/South game than most Euros IMO and that makes me appreciate his energy a bit more than say a Zherdev or even a Kotalik...

I think Torts is lighting a fire under his ass for sure and he should react with a good "bounce back" season

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

I LOVE his enthusiasm. He gets so pumped when he or someone else scores. Awesome goal by him yesterday.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 01:37 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Ah, the "Joba effect" as I call it.

Joba effect -
Pronunciation: Ja·ba ef·fect
Function: Noun
1: When a new and rising player generates fan excitement by showing emotion after productive moments.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 10-04-2009 at 01:42 PM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 01:46 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
I LOVE his enthusiasm. He gets so pumped when he or someone else scores. Awesome goal by him yesterday.
Yeah it was a really sick goal. If you look at the highlight again you can see that Vinny used Gaborik as a major distraction because Vinny was looking at Gaborik almost the entire time until he shot. As a goalie you're going to be concerned with both but MUCH more worried about Gaborik. Just another example of how much better Gaborik makes this team.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 01:52 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
You forgot to mention his tan!

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:14 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I see we all forgot this moment from last season (attached pic)! Then again, I agree. It always adds a bit more when it seems like they actually care after scoring a goal (without going overboard).

I'll admit, I always liked how OV jumps into the boards at home after scoring. Even in the series last season, the emotion was all there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zh.jpg‎ (39.4 KB, 73 views)

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:18 PM
TheZherdev

Im glad someone made a thread about this, because I would have if no one did. That pumped me so much. I love guys that make it seem like their next goal will be their last and cherish its importance. Vinny's stock went up after that in my book. And even more when he showed equal excitement after dubinsky's goal.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Scooter17

I dont see how you can generalize Euros as being unemotional. Ovechkin celebrates harder than anyone and he is Euro. Same thing with Lundqvist. There are just as many North American players who don't show a ton of emotion as there are Euro players. It was good to see Vinny get that excited though, especially since he is an older guy. Its usually the older guys as opposed to the Euros, that you don't see get too excited

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:46 PM
92hatchattack

I have to agree, scoring the goal was great, but watching how pumped vinny was about it really got me excited!

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:59 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i agree with scooter. i never have bought into this - "euros are like this" "americans are like this" thing. there are plenty of euro guys that show emotion. i like to see it on my team and was pleased to see vinny get on the board. he has something to prove this year afterall

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Hes not the world's fastest skater, and I just wonder how long he will be able to maintain playing 22 minutes a night on Gaborik's line.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
FOXHOUND*

This guy loves to score goals, And I love watching him do it!

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I thought it was hilarious when he told the story about Lundqvist stoning him on a breakaway when they played last season in Prague. He's even enthusiastic in his interviews.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Celebrates goals like his dogs' alive

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Eh, don't really see why he flipped out, he acted like it was the GWG of Game 7 SCF.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
The first thing I thought when Vinny scored was "This is probably going to be a trivia question next season"

So far so good with Vinny IMO. I don't see why some people bash him...we've seen alot worse play for this organization. But it's still early I guess.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
me and one of my friends said the exact same thing about his goal; the best part wasn't what a snipe the goal was, it was how he celebrated -- really shows how badly he wants to succeed. Listening to his interviews, and then the way he's played, he seems really hungry to prove himself and have a great year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:27 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
I dont see how you can generalize Euros as being unemotional. Ovechkin celebrates harder than anyone and he is Euro. Same thing with Lundqvist. There are just as many North American players who don't show a ton of emotion as there are Euro players. It was good to see Vinny get that excited though, especially since he is an older guy. Its usually the older guys as opposed to the Euros, that you don't see get too excited
Not to make this into am argument.....but I think most of the poeple who follow hockey on a regular basis would say ( not saying that you dont scooter ), more often than not, the euro players are much more low-keyed in their excitement than north american players. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the 15 years i've been watching hockey, thats what I have noticed.....especially with the euro's on that have been on the rangers. The only exception I can think for the rangers is zherdev in recent memory.

noupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Not to make this into am argument.....but I think most of the poeple who follow hockey on a regular basis would say ( not saying that you dont scooter ), more often than not, the euro players are much more low-keyed in their excitement than north american players. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the 15 years i've been watching hockey, thats what I have noticed.....especially with the euro's on that have been on the rangers. The only exception I can think for the rangers is zherdev in recent memory.
I watch my fair share of hockey and I have to say I disagree that Euro's don't show as much emotion on the ice. There are plenty of North American players that don't show a lot of fire on the ice. Thats not to say that I am a fan of the typical Euro style game. I much prefer the in your face North American style of game. Euros show just as much emotion as North American players, but they show it differently.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I agree, and it's not necessarily better either way. Some Euros seem "heartless," "soft," "one-dimensional" to a lot of fans in the US, but it's usually a misunderstanding. There's a neat sociology to hockey.

Russians, for example, not only play on a bigger surface with more emphasis on speed and movement, but it's also a system that teaches each player to be a star. They aren't just born with that skill, it's emphasized in their elementary training. They also learn singular roles - one guy is a scorer, one guy stays home, one guy hits and one plays 2-way. So when we see a Russian player "float" or slouch on the back-check, it's really just the player doing what they've always known. We call it "good hockey sense."

Czechs are somewhat similar. But see how no one rips on Scandinavians much. That's because Finns and Swedes are taught to play 2-way games. You're hard pressed to find a Swede that isn't a pretty complete player. By the same token, you see a handful of Swedish stars (Zetterberg, the Sedins, Backstrom, etc.), while the leeague elites are Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk. Not saying those guys can't play D (especially in Datsyuk's case), but their offense game is miles ahead of the rest of their games.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Hes not the world's fastest skater, and I just wonder how long he will be able to maintain playing 22 minutes a night on Gaborik's line.
Sometimes those are the best complimentary players to a very fast skater. It sometimes nice to have a player a little behind the play and it isnt like he is slow, just not Gaborik fast and his hands are much better than I remember seeing. He can control the puck and can shoot the puck and seems to know how to get himself open. That line looks good.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:57 PM
AXN

If he plays the whole year like this than he is a real bargain at 1.1 million. It is not like he lacks experience on the first line.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Edge

He's got the potential to be the biggest bargain on the Rangers.

Prospal has always been a good, not great player, but i've always thought he was underrated.

If he pop in 25 goals, 60 points, I'll be beyond happy.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:06 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Lets hope he does this on a consistent basis.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote