HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some Positives after 2 Games

Old
10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
HariKari

vCash: 500
Komisarek's intensity is nice to see. Understandably jacked to play Montreal, first game of the year on a new team. He looked deece in Washington.

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
stoney

Digging Stempniak playing hard. He is a pretty good player, I hope he keeps it up.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:36 PM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The Good

Mikhail Grabovski
Tomas Kaberle
Wallin-Mitchell-Stempniak line

The Bad

Francois Beauchemin
Vesa Toskala
Jason Blake
Forward Defense
Lack of Composure

Blake hasn't done anything good in the first two games. I know it's early but he better step up.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Ponikarovsky has played well too.

Blake needs to ride the pine for a while - put Kulemin in his place. If it were up to me I'd bury Blake in the AHL. I can't stand watching him play: I love the spin-o-rama which always results in an awful shot as well as when he has a wide open teammate but also decides to take an awful shot. The guy needs to stop being so selfish, man-up and learn how to play ****ing hockey.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Yesterday we lost because of talent. They ate us up with their talent, that's what lead to many of the break-aways.
We lost because we couldn't stop them from scoring. Bad goaltending and porous defensive play.

We lost because of THEIR talent... not because WE lacked talent. Hell, we even out shot them.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
SprDaVE

I personally I have a lot more faith in our PK this time around.

We are 3-7 to start the year, but I think we could have easily been closer to 1-7.

We didn't give any cross crease pass, unlike last year where we would give up 4-5 during the PK. We are still not aggressive enough on the points but if the puck goes near the board or down low, we don't give them the time to breath... again unlike last year.

Once the defense gels and when we can finally get CONSISTENT goaltending, I think our PK will finally get out of the basement and actually look decent.

Last edited by SprDaVE: 10-04-2009 at 10:21 PM.
SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:17 PM
eric71*

Mitchell looked awsome

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Zardoz

Primeau killing it on faceoffs.

Komisarek already with 7 hits and 8 blocked shots.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Cappo40*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I personally I have a lot more faith in our PK this time around.

We are 3-7 to start the year, but I think we could have easily been closer to 1-7.

We didn't give any cross crease pass, unlike last year where we would give up 4-5 during the PK. We are still not aggressive enough on the points but if the puck goes near the board or down low, we don't give them the time to breath... again unlike last year.

Once the defense gels and when we can finally get CONSISTENT goaltending, I think our PK will finally get out of the basement and actually look decent.
Our PK is going to be better, but our PP is going to be near the bottom until Phil comes in, and who knows even then..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:56 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo619 View Post
Our PK is going to be better, but our PP is going to be near the bottom until Phil comes in, and who knows even then..
Well it doesn't help when Wilson keeps putting a player like Wallin out there.

But I agree. It won't be deadly but should be a middle of the pack PP, much like last year IIRC.

When you have a premier PP QB in Kaberle and two good guns in Beauchemin and White from the point, I don't think there's any cause for concern.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:01 PM
mapleleaf1389

Maybe im in the minority right now, but I don't think we've played all that bad. The goaltending seems to magnify the problem, with a young team every mistake cannot find the back of the net.

I think through 2 games the forward lines look fairly solid, would like to see the 4th see more ice time, but otherwise, no major complaints.

The defence I don't think has been terrible, but again, it seems as though single mistakes turn into minuses. The system RW is employing having the defence be more active in the offence will not work if the goalie cannot bail them out on occasion.

The goaltending I think I would handle this way: Waive Toskala to the Marlies for 2 weeks or so to gain some confidence, with his numbers and salary he will clear waivers. Bring Joey Mac up and alternate he and Monster. Should give the organization a better idea going forward what we have in net. I can't believe Toskala is as bad as his numbers.

mapleleaf1389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf1389 View Post
Maybe im in the minority right now, but I don't think we've played all that bad. The goaltending seems to magnify the problem, with a young team every mistake cannot find the back of the net.

I think through 2 games the forward lines look fairly solid, would like to see the 4th see more ice time, but otherwise, no major complaints.

The defence I don't think has been terrible, but again, it seems as though single mistakes turn into minuses. The system RW is employing having the defence be more active in the offence will not work if the goalie cannot bail them out on occasion.

The goaltending I think I would handle this way: Waive Toskala to the Marlies for 2 weeks or so to gain some confidence, with his numbers and salary he will clear waivers. Bring Joey Mac up and alternate he and Monster. Should give the organization a better idea going forward what we have in net. I can't believe Toskala is as bad as his numbers.
I completely agree with this. It's very, very unlikely but it's what I'd like to see happen.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:17 PM
bunjay

grabovski backchecking like a beast.

kaberle looking like the old kaberle.

showing a bit of character being down 6-1.

primeau is so far really good on faceoffs.

ummm....mitchell and stempniak showing major improvement over last year?

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLackey View Post
Komisarek already with 7 hits and 8 blocked shots.
I might be the minority now, but I really like that signing. He puts his body on the line over and over, I love it.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Delayed Offside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf1389 View Post

say we did that, wouldn't joey have to clear re-entry waivers to get back to the nhl? same with toskala... while i wouldn't be worried about vesa, but i would think teams might be interested in joey for half price

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Machinae

Nothing but good things to say about Komisarek. Oh how we needed a net clearer like him. I WISH our D took such nasty penalties last season, instead of garbage hooks and holds from Kubina. We needed him so badly.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
allyb

Send a message via ICQ to allyb Send a message via Yahoo to allyb
I been trying not to go over the top one way or the other after 2 games, I am disappointed with 1 point from 4

we should have beaten the Habs

plenty offence poor defence and i don't just mean vesa and the defenceman the system seems wrong , was highlighted against the caps saturday night , hopefully RW sorts it out and makes adjustments to personnel and/or strategy

never been a great Stajan fan , probably wanted a bigger name, but the guy is playing great as is the wallin-mitchell-stempniak line , stalberg is going to be a superstar with kessel this year and naz next I think we nearly there

allyb is offline   Reply With Quote