HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2009, 03:06 PM
  #1
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Top 20

A new top 20 is up on my site, Subban stays at the top. Got my first look at Mac Bennett in action last night in his USHL regular season debut, was impressed. The '07 and '09 drafts could be big ones for the Habs, although it's still way way too early for the '09 group it certainly at least looks interesting for that group.


Top 20

1. PK Subban
2. Max Pacioretty
3. Yannick Weber
4. Louis Leblanc
5. Ben Maxwell
6. Mac Bennett
7. Alexander Avtsin
8. Danny Kristo
9. Steve Quailer
10. David Fischer
11. David Desharnais
12. Mathieu Carle
13. Joonas Nättinen
14. Maxim Trunev
15. Ryan White
16. Tom Pyatt
17. Andreas Engqvist
18. Joe Stejskal
19. Brock Trotter
20. Andrew Conboy

HM Greg Pateryn, Dustin Walsh, Nichlas Torp


Last edited by montreal: 10-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:09 PM
  #2
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,178
vCash: 500
It hurts losing McDonagh, seeing Fischer's value drop further and further and losing Valentenko and Emelin (not lost yet, but he's on the verge).

There is a serious need in the next draft to get some stay-at-home defencemen, just like there was a need for centres this year.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:10 PM
  #3
Lizard King*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,259
vCash: 500
If Pyatt is 16th on this chart I think we have really good depth. Considering from what I saw of him during the pre-season he played really well. If these ratings are pretty accurate it means we have 15 players better than him and considering he was playing good that means we have a good prospect pool for years to come.

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
  #4
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
If Pyatt is 16th on this chart I think we have really good depth. Considering from what I saw of him during the pre-season he played really well. If these ratings are pretty accurate it means we have 15 players better than him and considering he was playing good that means we have a good prospect pool for years to come.
There's no doubt the Habs strength among their prospects is their impressive depth. A guy like Ryan Russell that had a great year in Hamilton isn't even on list. A guy like Greg Pateryn who I have at 21st on the list could end up being something really good for us down the road as he's got a nice mix of size and offensive skills but the difference between guys at 9th or 18th isn't that much, it's a very tight group to rank once you get past the top 5 or so, so many interesting guys, although there's a clear lack of top end talent and goalie prospects (not a major concern when you have two young NHL goalies but still something I hope gets addressed or one of the current goalie prospects really jumps out)

As for Pyatt, he had a good preseason but I will wait till i see more of him as I don't put too much in preseason hockey. I know rangers fans talked about how much he's struggled since turning pro, I only saw him once or twice that I can recall, in the AHL and I wasn't paying any attention to him at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It hurts losing McDonagh, seeing Fischer's value drop further and further and losing Valentenko and Emelin (not lost yet, but he's on the verge).

There is a serious need in the next draft to get some stay-at-home defencemen, just like there was a need for centres this year.
I'm sure it will be addressed. We needed D prospects badly in '06 and in 2 drafts Timmins addressed it. This year we needed centers and he addresed that. I do wonder if Stejskal will turn pro next summer, either way we lack LD's and stay at home D's so I got to think they will address that in the next draft and beyond.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:26 PM
  #5
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,952
vCash: 500
Good list, it really shoes our killer depth. One of these days we're bound to find an elite talent.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:45 PM
  #6
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
No Nattinen?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:14 PM
  #7
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
No Nattinen?
I wasn't sure where to put him since I haven't seen him play, I should have put him towards the bottom though, mistake on my part. After watching Bennett last night and Cichy tonight, the only guys I haven't seen are Nattinen and Simila.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:18 PM
  #8
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I wasn't sure where to put him since I haven't seen him play, I should have put him towards the bottom though, mistake on my part. After watching Bennett last night and Cichy tonight, the only guys I haven't seen are Nattinen and Simila.
Poor Conboy, so close.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:29 PM
  #9
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Poor Conboy, so close.
I changed it up to add Nattinen, wasn't really sure where to slot him but I should have had him in there somewhere and I know i won't get to see him until the WJC's. Thanks for catching it.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:42 PM
  #10
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I changed it up to add Nattinen, wasn't really sure where to slot him but I should have had him in there somewhere and I know i won't get to see him until the WJC's. Thanks for catching it.
My pleasure. Thanks for putting it up, it's a good list, as always.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:47 PM
  #11
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,073
vCash: 500
I have a question for you about Bennett. It was only his first game but he did play some preseason ones as well, and you are saying that you were impressed despite, by the stats sheet, finishing -1 so what do you actually mean? What impressed you? 'Cause actually the kid almost made the jump in the NCAA so I'm expecting him to dominate the league especially offensively the way that a guy like John Moore did at the same age which is 39 points in 57 games, and especially since Cedar Rapids this year seems to be a great and offensive team.

I am expecting too much? And since the answer is yes, what should I be expecting?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
  #12
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have a question for you about Bennett. It was only his first game but he did play some preseason ones as well, and you are saying that you were impressed despite, by the stats sheet, finishing -1 so what do you actually mean? What impressed you? 'Cause actually the kid almost made the jump in the NCAA so I'm expecting him to dominate the league especially offensively the way that a guy like John Moore did at the same age which is 39 points in 57 games, and especially since Cedar Rapids this year seems to be a great and offensive team.

I am expecting too much? And since the answer is yes, what should I be expecting?
His skating is great, and I love how he was rushing the puck up ice with ease. Played with a lot of poise for 1st first regular season game. He was on the top pairing, and played on the PP and PK. He had a few good keeps on the point while on the PP and while he wasn't overly physical he took the body when neccessary. He also looked bigger then I was expecting.

I'm not a big stats guy, so I don't know what to expect in that regard, don't really care what he does stats wise, I just to to see that he's doing well, although I don't expect to see too much of him this year. Even if he does have a big year racking up the points, I wouldn't put too much into it, I want to see how he does at Michigan.

What do you mean he almost made the jump to the NCAA? As far as I know he was never slated to the the NCAA this year, just wondering.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
  #13
ChickenHabsFan
 
ChickenHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Good list, it really shoes our killer depth.One of these days we're bound to find an elite talent
.
I have high hopes for Subban and Louis Leblanc

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:26 PM
  #14
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,099
vCash: 827
Bennet at 6th already? Very impressive, especially since he's a lefty and most of our prospects are righties.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
  #15
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What do you mean he almost made the jump to the NCAA? As far as I know he was never slated to the the NCAA this year, just wondering.
I do remember Bennett talking about the fact that at one point it came down to going in the Q, in the NCAA and in the USHL. He thought that he wasn't ready to go in the NCAA right away so that's the reason why he only committed for 2010. But he did say it as at one point, he had to decide between 1 of the 3. it might not have been that "almost" but it was of the decision process.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:15 AM
  #16
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
A new top 20 is up on my site, Subban stays at the top. Got my first look at Mac Bennett in action last night in his USHL regular season debut, was impressed. The '07 and '09 drafts could be big ones for the Habs, although it's still way way too early for the '09 group it certainly at least looks interesting for that group.


Top 20

1. PK Subban
2. Max Pacioretty
3. Yannick Weber
4. Louis Leblanc
5. Ben Maxwell
6. Mac Bennett
7. Alexander Avtsin
8. Danny Kristo
9. Steve Quailer
10. David Fischer
11. David Desharnais
12. Mathieu Carle
13. Maxim Trunev
14. Joe Stejskal
15. Ryan White
16. Tom Pyatt
17. Andreas Engqvist
18. Dustin Walsh
19. Brock Trotter
20. Andrew Conboy

HM Greg Pateryn, Mike Cichy, Nichlas Torp
solid!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
  #17
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I do remember Bennett talking about the fact that at one point it came down to going in the Q, in the NCAA and in the USHL. He thought that he wasn't ready to go in the NCAA right away so that's the reason why he only committed for 2010. But he did say it as at one point, he had to decide between 1 of the 3. it might not have been that "almost" but it was of the decision process.
Well I don't know if Michigan would have even let him start this year since they already had to move 1 defensemen to forward leaving them with 8 D's, so there would be nowhere for him to go, but from the 1 game I saw, he looks like he could be a freshman this year, granted it was just one game.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
  #18
25th
Registered User
 
25th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aylmer beach, Qc
Posts: 803
vCash: 500
Kornelsen sends the McKeen's scouting report on Canadiens' prospect Mac Bennett, who's is playing with Cedar Rapids in the USHL:

Rookie USHLer already looks like a challenger for Defenseman of the Year honors at the end of the season .. elite level puck poise .. does not panic with the puck when pressured, even if he doesn't have full control of it .. adept at corralling difficult pucks and draws pucks off the boards very well .. very confident skating the puck and has a smooth, powerful stride that gives him above-average speed .. able to build considerable speed through crossovers, but also has strong straight-line acceleration .. makes powerful turns with the puck and can evade checkers with tight circles .. smooth walking the blueline and can get off a smooth, hard, fading slapshot .. possesses a crisp, hard wristshot from the point, thanks to the significant stick bend he creates .. skating abilities give him a quick release, as he can promptly position himself to get a quality shot off quickly .. is also adept at passing the puck, as he makes crisp, accurate breakout passes and doesn't unnecessarily rush the breakout .. also an adept point-to-point passer .. skating prowess also translates to his defensive game, as he has professional-caliber stopping abilities backwards to stick with shifty opponents .. lateral mobility enables him to get to assignments deep in the defensive zone quickly .. only listed at 6-foot-0, 175 pounds, but can level opponents, or at the least bodies them off the puck .. appears capable of surpassing Matt Donovan, who should have been the 2008-09 USHL Defenseman of the Year .. committed to the University of Michigan .. played prep hockey for Hotchkiss in 2008-09 and scored 2 goals and 9 assists in 15 games .. went without a point in two games at the Battle of Iowa .. tallied 1 assist in 3 games at the 2009 USHL Fall Classic.

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:33 AM
  #19
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It hurts losing McDonagh, seeing Fischer's value drop further and further and losing Valentenko and Emelin (not lost yet, but he's on the verge).

There is a serious need in the next draft to get some stay-at-home defencemen, just like there was a need for centres this year.
For some reason I don't know, I feel Fisher will provide in 2 years. College guy like this one have other interest aside from hockey and it takes a little more time for them to come about. 22-23 years old is the age that he will come out. He was sick last year to boot so.......
The only mistake about this kid was we drafted him in the 1st. He could be well worth it in 2-3 years but usely, 1st rounders are not big project like he is. @6"4 good skater and good puck skills, wen he gets stronger, mentaly focus is game will come.
Ultimate projection:#1 D-man
Where I see him in 3 years-2nd pairing

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:43 AM
  #20
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Excited to see Avtsin in the top 10. Maybe he's a tad high, but still it's a good sign!!

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:47 AM
  #21
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,986
vCash: 500
Avstin is one of my favorite and I like Leblanc but PK is my top prospect.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:51 AM
  #22
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Excited to see Avtsin in the top 10. Maybe he's a tad high, but still it's a good sign!!
I was impressed in the one game I saw plus I had a little help from a scout that I talk to who gave me some info on the Habs newest picks. I may have him too high but I know the Habs really like this kid and unlike Emelin, Korneev, etc..., the feeling is that he really will come over when he says it. But we'll see next year if he's over or not. I dropped Trunev down a little cause I don't think we will be seeing him in North America although that's based off nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
For some reason I don't know, I feel Fisher will provide in 2 years. College guy like this one have other interest aside from hockey and it takes a little more time for them to come about. 22-23 years old is the age that he will come out. He was sick last year to boot so.......
The only mistake about this kid was we drafted him in the 1st. He could be well worth it in 2-3 years but usely, 1st rounders are not big project like he is. @6"4 good skater and good puck skills, wen he gets stronger, mentaly focus is game will come.
Ultimate projection:#1 D-man
Where I see him in 3 years-2nd pairing
Fischer is a tough one to gauge, I've seen him more then any of our other non pro prospects and there's a lot to like about him but there's also a lot of concerns. I do think he'll be an NHLer in time, as he has the frame, skating and he's sound positionally in his own end. My concerns are that he's got almost zero physical game (other then tying his man up along the boards, he rarely takes the body) and his offensive game needs a lot of work, which is kind of strange since he can pass the puck really well. He excells on the PK but on the PP things just don't seem to go too well for him. Should be interesting to see how he does this year after coming out and saying he knows he needs to be better and he's playing for a contract this summer.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
  #23
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
What has Leblanc done to be ahead of Maxwell, i feel sorry for Ben, he gets absolutley no respect. He will be a top 2 center in Montreal.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
  #24
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25th View Post
Kornelsen sends the McKeen's scouting report on Canadiens' prospect Mac Bennett, who's is playing with Cedar Rapids in the USHL:

Rookie USHLer already looks like a challenger for Defenseman of the Year honors at the end of the season .. elite level puck poise .. does not panic with the puck when pressured, even if he doesn't have full control of it .. adept at corralling difficult pucks and draws pucks off the boards very well .. very confident skating the puck and has a smooth, powerful stride that gives him above-average speed .. able to build considerable speed through crossovers, but also has strong straight-line acceleration .. makes powerful turns with the puck and can evade checkers with tight circles .. smooth walking the blueline and can get off a smooth, hard, fading slapshot .. possesses a crisp, hard wristshot from the point, thanks to the significant stick bend he creates .. skating abilities give him a quick release, as he can promptly position himself to get a quality shot off quickly .. is also adept at passing the puck, as he makes crisp, accurate breakout passes and doesn't unnecessarily rush the breakout .. also an adept point-to-point passer .. skating prowess also translates to his defensive game, as he has professional-caliber stopping abilities backwards to stick with shifty opponents .. lateral mobility enables him to get to assignments deep in the defensive zone quickly .. only listed at 6-foot-0, 175 pounds, but can level opponents, or at the least bodies them off the puck .. appears capable of surpassing Matt Donovan, who should have been the 2008-09 USHL Defenseman of the Year .. committed to the University of Michigan .. played prep hockey for Hotchkiss in 2008-09 and scored 2 goals and 9 assists in 15 games .. went without a point in two games at the Battle of Iowa .. tallied 1 assist in 3 games at the 2009 USHL Fall Classic.
That's Exciting! Sounds like he's describing Brian Leetch or Paul Coffey!

Kristo>>Avtsyn
Torp>>>Stejskal

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
  #25
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
A Toronto fans take on the top 20 prospects in the Montreal organization...

1. Louis Leblanc
2. PK Subban
3. Max Pacioretty
4. Yannick Weber
5. Mac Bennett
6. Ben Maxwell
7. Danny Kristo
8. Steve Quailer
9. Alexander Avtsin
10. Joonas Nättinen
11. David Desharnais
12. Maxim Trunev
13. David Fischer
14. Tom Pyatt
15. Ryan White
16. Mathieu Carle
17. Andreas Engqvist
18. Joe Stejskal
19. Brock Trotter
20. Greg Pateryn

My favourites...

Leblanc
Pax
Bennett
Quailer
Avtsin

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.