HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hartford Courant column on Evgeny Grachev

Old
10-04-2009, 03:06 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Hartford Courant column on Evgeny Grachev

Jeff Jacobs Hartford Courant columnist

Quote:
"Some of the bigger kids at this age are still gangly, but Evgeny is pretty strong right now," Gernander said. "He's a good skater. He has a good shot and decent hands. Sometimes you get a guy with a glaring weakness. There is none. He's just young. He needs experience. It's a big jump from junior to NHL, but he's knocking at the door."
Quote:
"My decision-making could be faster with the puck. Maybe get a little bit faster and stronger, too. The last two [Rangers exhibition] games I played like eight minutes per game. I was thinking they'd send me down. It wasn't good to hear, but I wasn't too upset. I'll keep working and I'll get called up one day."
Ken Gernander discusses the differences between Grachev and Artem Anisimov

Quote:
"Artie was lean, not as physically mature when he came [in 2007]. He's a puck distributor. Artie had more dangles. This kid is a little more up and down, more powerful entering the zone. It was interesting with Artie. I used to say some pretty basic things and he'd come two days later and ask what does that mean?"
Grachev speaks and understands english better than AA

Quote:
"Anisimov spent two years here," Grachev said. "I don't think I'm ready to spend two years."
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...2858496.column

Grachev's mom is visiting him later this month.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 10-04-2009 at 03:11 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:11 PM
The Thomas J.*

Grachev is caught up in a numbers game right now, it's going to take several injures & maybe a trade to get him up this season. I'm thinking next year he will be ready to step in.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I see no reason why a kid with just one year of juniors under his belt should play in the NHL this year unless we are talking about March when he has 60 AHL games experience. It won't be good for him.

Next year Prospal and Higgins will be gone, so Grachev and Lisin can take over.

Actually, I hope the Rangers deal Prospal and Higgins for a talented young player or prospect this year some time between the All Star break and the trading deadline.

A Cup contender would likely be willing to give up a first round pick (in the 20s) for this pair. Another contender is likely to give up a second rounder for Rosie towards the end of the season.

We are still a rebuilding team, regardless how we perform. We could really use a second first round pick (and another second rounder) instead of just losing these two guy in return for winning another game or two in the playoffs.

Kotalik - Dubinsky - Gabby
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Grachev- Anisimov - Lisin
Voros - Boyle - Brashear

Gilroy - Staal
DZ - Redden
Sang - Girardi

Could this get us the Stanley Cup? No. But we aren't getting there even with Prospal and Higgins. Let the kids play their 5-6 playoff games, and then they will come back better and stronger next year.

Ultimately, that's the team we'll be looking at next year (unless we can bribe someone with a second round pick to take Redden, and then using the money to sign Kovalchuk and a cheap veteran defenseman).

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Antropov got a second, Higgins and Prospal will have to have good years to be worth a first, even together IMO.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:36 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I see no reason why a kid with just one year of juniors under his belt should play in the NHL this year unless we are talking about March when he has 60 AHL games experience. It won't be good for him.

Actually, I hope the Rangers deal Prospal and Higgins for a talented young player or prospect this year some time between the All Star break and the trading deadline.

A Cup contender would likely be willing to give up a first round pick (in the 20s) for this pair. Another contender is likely to give up a second rounder for Rosie towards the end of the season.

We are still a rebuilding team, regardless how we perform. We could really use a second first round pick (and another second rounder) instead of just losing these two guy in return for winning another game or two in the playoffs.

Avery - Drury - Callahan
Voros - Boyle - Brashear

Gilroy - Staal
DZ - Redden
Sang - Girardi

Could this get us the Stanley Cup? No. But we aren't getting there even with Prospal and Higgins. Let the kids play their 5-6 playoff games, and then they will come back better and stronger next year.

Ultimately, that's the team we'll be looking at next year (unless we can bribe someone with a second round pick to take Redden, and then using the money to sign Kovalchuk and a cheap veteran defenseman).
Unless we are out of the playoff picture..I see zero reason why Sather would do that.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:16 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Grachev speaks and understands english better than AA
Grachev had a year to learn English in North America before he got to Hartford, Anisimov came in cold.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:

Avery - Drury - Callahan
Voros - Boyle - Brashear

Gilroy - Staal
DZ - Redden
Sang - Girardi

i agree with you, but i don't see it happening.

i think prospal may even end his career here, which i'd be ok with.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Prospal is one thing. Why would Higgins be gone? At this point, Lisin wishes that he would develop into the player that Higgins is.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Grachev had a year to learn English in North America before he got to Hartford, Anisimov came in cold.
After we drafted Grachev I believe the reports on him were that he already knew a fair amount of english.... And I think that article says he took English in school.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Hopefully Kotalik is the one who's gone and we find a way to retain Prospal & Higgins

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:14 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
And I think that article says he took English in school.
It did... that was my point... Grachev's spent a year in North America learning English and using it every day before he ended up in Hartford. When Anisimov got there he had nothing but the English classes he'd taken in Russia (and they don't teach hockey terminology in those. )

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Hopefully Kotalik is the one who's gone and we find a way to retain Prospal & Higgins
If Kovalchuk is a free agent, then all of them will be gone. The three of them earn $7. Rosie another $5, making it $12. The Rangers would probably need to give up a second round pick (which we could get for either Kotalik or Rosie or the other two if traded before the deadline) to get someone to take Redden, which would mean that they would have $18.5 to work with.

The Rangers would need to spend $2 on a decent veteran defenseman,which would leave $16.5 for raises and Kovalchuk.

If Kovalchuk gets $10, then they would be solidly within the cap.

Gabby - Dubinsky - Callahan
Kovalchuk - Drury - Lisin
Grachev - Anisimov - Avery
Byers - Boyle - Brashear

Gilroy - Staal
Dizzy - Girardi
Sang - Veteran FA signee

The team's weak spot would be RW and its youth. But it would have an awful amount of talent. Presuming good asset management and no career-ending injuries, it would be only a matter of time before it won the Stanley Cup.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
The Thomas J.*

You know we have played two games & you guys have Higgins & Prospal outta town next off season. Prospal Maybe, but why Higgins. The line of Higgins Drury & Cally can be a dominan gritty crash the next work the corners hard line for years to come.

As far as going after Kovy goes, I would love to get him but I don't think it's going to happen we are gonna be so close to the cap for the next few years there is no way to get Kovy in here, & unless there is an amnesty buyout we are stuck with the Garbage we have in Redden & Roszival.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
If Kovalchuk is a free agent, then all of them will be gone. The three of them earn $7. Rosie another $5, making it $12. The Rangers would probably need to give up a second round pick (which we could get for either Kotalik or Rosie or the other two if traded before the deadline) to get someone to take Redden, which would mean that they would have $18.5 to work with.

The Rangers would need to spend $2 on a decent veteran defenseman,which would leave $16.5 for raises and Kovalchuk.

If Kovalchuk gets $10, then they would be solidly within the cap.

Gabby - Dubinsky - Callahan
Kovalchuk - Drury - Lisin
Grachev - Anisimov - Avery
Byers - Boyle - Brashear

Gilroy - Staal
Dizzy - Girardi
Sang - Veteran FA signee

The team's weak spot would be RW and its youth. But it would have an awful amount of talent. Presuming good asset management and no career-ending injuries, it would be only a matter of time before it won the Stanley Cup.
Umm you do know that Gaborik is a RW right?

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Kind of Blue

I'll play this game just for fun...

Avery-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kovalchuk-Drury-Callahan
Grachev-Anisimov-Lisin

Yeah I'd sign up for that.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote