HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaberle For Kostitsyns: Would You Do It?

View Poll Results: Kaberle For Kostitsyns
Yes 131 58.48%
No 93 41.52%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-04-2009, 05:59 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 500
If we trade the Kostitsyn's for a D, we have absolutely no second line. Even as things stand right now, our second line is the problem so imagine if we trade the Kostitsyn's. And the last thing I would want is for them to haunt us like Grabovski seems to do every so often.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I make that deal without thinking twice. You can bet your ass that Burke doesn't though.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Jigger77

In a heartbeat.

I would be exctatic. If anyone can come close to replace Marky it's Kaberle. It would change the complexion of the team in an instant. First off, Sergei is a write-off of his own will and I think it's worth the risk with Andrei.

I think we'd have to sweeten the pot with a draft pick though. Even then, there is no was Toronto gives us Kaberle when they know we are without Markov for almost the entire year. But hey, it's fun to think about.

Make that proposal to the Leafs a year or two ago and it has a good chance of happening imho.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Salaries pretty much match up, adresses both our weakness', we get a great defencman, they get talent up front.

Question is, would you make this deal?

I think I would, but the thought of Grabs and Kosty's scoring on us everytime we play scares me, but I love what Kaberle brings to the table and would be great in Markov's absense and even better with Markov back in the lineup.
Hell no!

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post
Tomas Kaberle would be your #1a/b defenceman, you bump down all other defencemen to make room for him.

It's pretty simple.
Markov > Kaberle

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Markov > Kaberle
Not with a severed tendon in his leg.

Old
10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
TMLeafer
Bring him home.

It doesn't blow Burke's socks off. I know this is simply a proposal, but Burke said many times in the offseason that if we trade Kaberle, we'll spend the entire summer looking for someone who does what he does as well as he does (i.e. premier puck moving d-man) and you'll pay much more than the $4.25M Kabby gets to get him.

It pains me to say this, but JFJ was a genius with this contract.

TMLeafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
It doesn't blow Burke's socks off. I know this is simply a proposal, but Burke said many times in the offseason that if we trade Kaberle, we'll spend the entire summer looking for someone who does what he does as well as he does (i.e. premier puck moving d-man) and you'll pay much more than the $4.25M Kabby gets to get him.

Imo, trading Kaberle made sense for the Leafs a year ago. Not any more. At least not right now.

Why? Because they were able to get Kessel without him going the other way. And because you want to wait where your team will be come trade deadline and once Kessel start playing if you're the Leafs.

He is too much of a great value to trade right now. And two under-achieving Kostitsyns are not enough to make it worthwhile to move him. The only knock I have on Kaberle is his tendency to get injured. Other than that he is about as close as you can get to replace Andrei Markov.

Now, if the Habs are barely hanging in the playoff picture in say January and the Leafs aren't, the option to move Kaberle becomes interesting again because you get more in return at that point.

Old
10-04-2009, 07:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

No, if it were the off-season and we didn't sign mara, gill and spacek, then yes. But now, no. We can't replace what we lost.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Imo, trading Kaberle made sense for the Leafs a year ago. Not any more. At least not right now.

Why? Because they were able to get Kessel without him going the other way. And because you want to wait where your team will be come trade deadline and once Kessel start playing if you're the Leafs.

He is too much of a great value to trade right now. And two under-achieving Kostitsyns are not enough to make it worthwhile to move him. The only knock I have on Kaberle is his tendency to get injured. Other than that he is about as close as you can get to replace Andrei Markov.

Now, if the Habs are barely hanging in the playoff picture in say January and the Leafs aren't, the option to move Kaberle becomes interesting again because you get more in return at that point.
Not counting that with the way Toronto's defense has been playing in the first two games (especially Beauchemin and Komisarek), it wouldn't be wise to trade their only bright spot back there.

Old
10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Don't think it'd be enough to land Kaberle. Not quite sure Burke would be interested either.
But I don't want to see Grabovski and the Kost broz in TO.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Not counting that with the way Toronto's defense has been playing in the first two games (especially Beauchemin and Komisarek), it wouldn't be wise to trade their only bright spot back there.
Indeed.

It's just not the right time for that big a trade between two division rivals. That said, I would love to see Kaberle in Montreal. It's just not reasonable to even consider that Burke would do us that favour knowning the situation we're in right now.

Old
10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

Kaberle is good, but his contract is better, the more you wait into his contract, the less value he has IMO. It doesn't go down by a massive amount but still.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
WeezyHabFan

How wouldn't you? the trade is lop sided for us.. how people can't see it is beyond me

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

At this point? Yes.

With Sergei somehow getting back into the team, No.

I voted yes

Saint Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Yes!! Are you kidding? Although facepalm at Komi, Grabs and the Kosts all on the Leafs

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
as one of the more vocal Andrei supporters since his drafting, this season I'm starting to get the feeling maybe he really is a lifeless kind of player....

I voted Yes to the trade
exactly. sad but true.

I voted yes too.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post

Agreed.

ELC aside, Kaberle's contract is the best contract in the league. His contract alone is worth a first, THEN you have to give up players, picks and prospects for Kaberle himself. Especially considering I believe he has 1 year left after this ? Might be wrong on that. He seems to have been on this contract forever too.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:33 PM
HockeyF3ind

In less than a heartbeat yes.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Prendan Brust

I'm surprised anyone would say no to this deal! If Burke is crazy enough to trade a rare commodity like Kaberle for a player of Kostitsyn caliber, the habs would be crazy to refuse that. I mean, at worst we could trade him for a better package once Markov comes back. There's no way Burke does that. Kaberle is worth considerably more than Kostitsyn, who isn't worth much IMHO...

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
I'm surprised anyone would say no to this deal!
Agreed. If someone dared asking the same question on the Leafs' board, they'd be laughed out of the section in not time and the thread would be locked.

Old
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
FuriousBob

I think the deal would be more like:
the Kostitsyns + 3rd rounder + Carle

for Kaberle + 6th Rounder

Carle could jump right in their Line up, a third rounder is a third rounder and the kostitsyn would help thier top 6 immediatly.

Karberle would make our D corps the best in the league if it can stay healthy (Karberle + Markov + Spacek + Hamrlik + Mara + Gorgeous + O'byrne + Gill :O :O )

but our top 6 without Kostitsyn would be bad.

Patch- Gomez- Gionta
Cammallerri - Pleks - Lats/D'ags
Thats 2 major holes for at least this year to let time for d'ags and patch develop but in the long run this deal would be very good.
+ Carle is behind PK subban and Weber on the long term depth chart.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
I think the deal would be more like:
the Kostitsyns + 3rd rounder + Carle

for Kaberle + 6th Rounder

Carle could jump right in their Line up, a third rounder is a third rounder and the kostitsyn would help thier top 6 immediatly.

Karberle would make our D corps the best in the league if it can stay healthy (Karberle + Markov + Spacek + Hamrlik + Mara + Gorgeous + O'byrne + Gill :O :O )

but our top 6 without Kostitsyn would be bad.

Patch- Gomez- Gionta
Cammallerri - Pleks - Lats/D'ags
Thats 2 major holes for at least this year to let time for d'ags and patch develop but in the long run this deal would be very good.
+ Carle is behind PK subban and Weber on the long term depth chart.
If we had that d corp, we could package one of our Ds with one of our prospect and get an adequate forward for the top six...

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:20 PM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
If we had that d corp, we could package one of our Ds with one of our prospect and get an adequate forward for the top six...
I'd move Hamrlik, there's nobody else to trade off that blue line that would bring in anything worthy of being a top 6 forward.

You likely wouldn't see Mara, Spacek or Gill being moved (just signed), O'Byrne's not worth much... and Josh Gorges wouldn't fetch a top 6 forward, even though he's a good #5/6 defenceman. Even if you move Hamrlik, you'd likely have to take back a forward that is getting paid $5M or so, to match Hammer's contract.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:32 PM
pepperMonkey

My lord, yes! I'll do that trade without a second thought.
Kaberle is already one of the best offensive D's out there that is getting wasted in Toronto. He may not be elite but if not, he is close. As for the Kosty brothers, sorry, they haven't even established as good NHL players. A Kost is close but last I checked he still hasn't even reached Kaberle's offensive numbers. Sorry, Burke would be a class A moron to do this trade, specially with that contract Kaberle has. Probably one of the best contracts out there.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote