HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something to worry about?

Old
10-04-2009, 12:38 PM
jol

vCash: 500
Something to worry about?

Bettman in Miami Herald:

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told New York's WFAN radio that he's not all that concerned about the state of the Panthers.

``Florida is in a rebuilding mode and I think that there is a good fan base in South Florida,'' he said, ``but when you don't make the playoffs I think now for eight or nine years it begins to take its toll. That is not a market that I really worry about long term because I think if the team starts winning the fans will show.'' "

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ho...y/1265483.html

Didn't he say same thing about Coyotes?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Bettman always has supported the Panthers, and hockey in South Florida. He really isnt saying anything we havent heard, or know for that part, already. This team needs to make the playoffs soon, because we could really use that extra revenue. I believe that once this teams starts being competitive, and the playoffs are more often made than missed, our attendance will go up.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Bettman in Miami Herald:

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told New York's WFAN radio that he's not all that concerned about the state of the Panthers.

``Florida is in a rebuilding mode and I think that there is a good fan base in South Florida,'' he said, ``but when you don't make the playoffs I think now for eight or nine years it begins to take its toll. That is not a market that I really worry about long term because I think if the team starts winning the fans will show.'' "

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ho...y/1265483.html

Didn't he say same thing about Coyotes?

JOL
He would say the same thing about all 30 teams, so...

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

If Bettman says it...worry!

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He would say the same thing about all 30 teams, so...
Exactly. And he's right.

10-04-2009, 02:13 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Exactly. And he's right.
So far he has said that about two teams...

JOL

Old
10-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
So far he has said that about two teams...

JOL
But he's only been asked about a few teams. Just because he said something similar about Phoenix doesn't mean the Panthers are in the same situation as them. He might be telling the truth about the Panthers...

Old
10-04-2009, 02:24 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
The Panthers are part of the deal with owning the BAC, so unless both combine to cost Cohen $30 million a year, it's not the same.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:37 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
The Panthers are part of the deal with owning the BAC, so unless both combine to cost Cohen $30 million a year, it's not the same.
Would BAC be successful without the team?

JOL

Old
10-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:

JOL
Cohen couldn't control the BAC without owning the team. They go hand in hand.

Old
10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

JOL
BAC is connected to the team.

As I've said before, there is no reason to worry because Phoenix and Florida don't match up, at all. Phoenix PAYS for the cars on property thanks to their deal with the city, the Panthers earn income like the rest of the teams in the League. Florida doesn't have a coach making more than most of the players, unlike Phoenix. Just two of the differences between the two teams. Add in the 30 year lease that we're only 20 years into, it's obvious how much more it would cost to move this team. Also, the owners make more from things other than hockey than Phoenix.

So no, I'm not worried about this team. I want Cohen gone, however.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
jol

Quote:
BAC is connected to the team.

As I've said before, there is no reason to worry because Phoenix and Florida don't match up, at all. Phoenix PAYS for the cars on property thanks to their deal with the city, the Panthers earn income like the rest of the teams in the League. Florida doesn't have a coach making more than most of the players, unlike Phoenix. Just two of the differences between the two teams. Add in the 30 year lease that we're only 20 years into, it's obvious how much more it would cost to move this team. Also, the owners make more from things other than hockey than Phoenix.

So no, I'm not worried about this team. I want Cohen gone, however.
Does anybody remember how arena was doing during the lockout season (2004-05)?

Heh, everybody seem to be blaming Glendale arena parking for Coyotes economical problems, how much that amount would make per season, $500000, maybe $1 million?
On the other hand how much are Panthers' parking revenues, close to $0?

JOL

Old
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If the Panthers charged for parking, people could just use the huge mall parking lot right across the street. I believe they did try to charge and it didn't work out, probably because of this.

Maybe they make up for it with the food/drink sales... I went to the preseason game & I think the prices are higher than last season.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Does anybody remember how arena was doing during the lockout season (2004-05)?

Heh, everybody seem to be blaming Glendale arena parking for Coyotes economical problems, how much that amount would make per season, $500000, maybe $1 million?
On the other hand how much are Panthers' parking revenues, close to $0?

JOL
They still charge for parking, it's in the ticket prices, everyone forgets that.

I saw a figure, and no, it wasn't just a million, if I remember correctly it was more than what Gretzky was making.

Old
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
jol

Quote:
They still charge for parking, it's in the ticket prices, everyone forgets that.

I saw a figure, and no, it wasn't just a million, if I remember correctly it was more than what Gretzky was making.
Then Panthers must have lowered ticket prices.
The Coyotes pay $2.70 per ticket to city (or owner of parking), close to $1.5 million per season and they get all the revenue from arena including other events.

JOL

Old
10-05-2009, 12:29 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

From what i have read in the past, the BAC makes more than SSE loses with the Panthers, which actually makes them a profit every year. The BAC is one of the highest rated arenas in the world, as far as events going on their, so I can see that being true

Old
10-05-2009, 12:46 AM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
From what i have read in the past, the BAC makes more than SSE loses with the Panthers, which actually makes them a profit every year. The BAC is one of the highest rated arenas in the world, as far as events going on their, so I can see that being true
I sometimes wonder why they don't promote hockey at the BAC itself when other events are going on. That's what, 20k or more people walking through the place for each concert... they now know the location if they didn't before, see that it's nice, etc... wouldn't it be great to have some big screens or something running along the sides of the main entrance with an add full of awesome highlights and player intros playing? Or something. Imagine how many individual visitors per year could be exposed to it & decide to check out a game because it looks exciting.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:47 AM
jol

Quote:
That's true, it's amazing what SSE (and Yormark) has done, but something might have changed. Recently SSE asked county's help to restructure annual payments, county didn't reply (I think they had a meeting at the end of the september), only thing county said was if SSE cannot make payments, county will start running arena. Then we would have a situation, county running profitable arena (or maybe not anymore at that point), Cohen (or NHL) running unprofitable hockey team (or maybe county would also run hockey team?).

JOL

Old
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
That's true, it's amazing what SSE (and Yormark) has done, but something might have changed. Recently SSE asked county's help to restructure annual payments, county didn't reply (I think they had a meeting at the end of the september), only thing county said was if SSE cannot make payments, county will start running arena. Then we would have a situation, county running profitable arena (or maybe not anymore at that point), Cohen (or NHL) running unprofitable hockey team (or maybe county would also run hockey team?).

JOL
I don't see that happening. If the county runs the arena, then SSE makes no profit at all, and actually loses tons of money. SSE won't do that. They'll take whatever hits they have to in order to remain in control of the BAC. Or they will fold their tents and leave, but idk why they'd want to do that when they make so much money there.

Old
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

JOL
I've never seen anything on that, where'd you see that?

Old
10-05-2009, 06:38 PM
jol

Quote:
I've never seen anything on that, where'd you see that?
It was mentioned in other thread, "Panthers sale derailed" or something, here's Sun-Sentinel article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,4983140.story

JOL

Old
10-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
It was mentioned in other thread, "Panthers sale derailed" or something, here's Sun-Sentinel article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,4983140.story

JOL
Thanks. Says they made the payment and are no longer looking for the county's help.

Phoenix and Florida are very different. I'm not concerned about the team falling into that hole, but I am eager for a new owner, so long as the last name isn't Balsille.

Old
10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
KW

Of course it's something to worry about, unless someone has read all the contracts and understands the possible loopholes, and can explain to the rest. It's naive to take this kind of stuff on faith.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:27 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Thanks. Says they made the payment and are no longer looking for the county's help.

Phoenix and Florida are very different. I'm not concerned about the team falling into that hole, but I am eager for a new owner, so long as the last name isn't Balsille.
I would take Balsille in a heartbeat, as long as he would guarantee Florida would never be moved. I want an owner that is about winning, and seeing how he is trying so hard to get a team, there are few people that are more passionate. Its a dead issue though, cause he will never own a tean in the NHL.

Old
10-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I would take Balsille in a heartbeat, as long as he would guarantee Florida would never be moved. I want an owner that is about winning, and seeing how he is trying so hard to get a team, there are few people that are more passionate. Its a dead issue though, cause he will never own a tean in the NHL.
Balsille wants a team he can move, no doubt about it.