HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toskala vs The Monster

Old
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
BIG BLUE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Lets sum up these boards after 2 of 82 games, or 2.5% of the season is over;

1) Toskala needs to be traded
2) Schenn needs to go to the minors
3) Beauchemin is a bust
4) Komisarek is a liability
5) Exelby is a wasted roster spot

Are you people high? Did I miss the opium being passed around? What single thing in life can you make judgment on when its only 2.5% of the ****ing way started?!

Honestly, this place is a cesspool right now.
I agree, and that's why I haven't been reading Leaf board much the past couple days...I'll wait until we get a win

because it is uber-negative around here

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The thing that pisses me most off about JFJ is he wasted so many resources on unproven goalies in back to back seasons when other teams were acquiring better starters like Martin Biron for 2nd round picks. It's also frustrating that Florida pulled off the exact same trade to get Tomas Vokoun on the same day, and he was an established workhorse star goalie while Toskala was San Jose's backup. Trading Rask, 1st, 2nd, 3rd should probably land you something closer to a star player than the ******** we received.
It is crazy, when you think of it.

The fact that on the same day we gave up the same for Toskala as Florida gave up for Vokoun is nothing short of insane.

We paid the same price for an unproven backup as they paid for an elite starting goalie.

Just crazy.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Johny Drama

Its almost starting to look like the best case scenario is for Gustavsson to take the number 1 job and run with it, allowing Toskala more time to get into some kind of groove as a backup (is that even possible?). I know a lot of people are saying...dont panic, its early, but if you think about it, Toskala has NEVER been a #1 goaltender in the NHL. Last year was a complete rebuilding year, Leafs cannot afford the luxury of letting this guy iron out whatever kinks he has in his game.

Johny Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:12 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
that's not based on 2 games, that's based on 2+ seasons of poor goaltending.
I would definately not agree with that, unless you are counting this year as a season already even though its only been 2 games. 2 years ago Toskala single-handedly won us many games. Even last year before his injury he was good. It's 2 games into the year...cut the guy some slack...

Give him a month, then panick.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Polk High

^ What this guy said.

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Marshy
Behind Enemy Lines

Unless Toskala reverts back to his San Jose production, the Leafs are missing the playoffs this year. Counting on the Monster to carry the mail for more than 35 games this year is IMO extremely optimistic. My guess is that Toskala will get every opportunity to stick but if Burke decides he has to do something, hopefully a 1a/1b J-Mac/Monster tandem can split things 35 games a piece or so and produce or Boston will be getting a very high pick this June.

Marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Quakmybush

Quote:

The fact that on the same day we gave up the same for Toskala as Florida gave up for Vokoun is nothing short of insane.

We paid the same price for an unproven backup as they paid for an elite starting goalie.

Just crazy.
I wouldnt concsider Vokoun an elite starting goalie, he lost his job last year, and AFAIK, his numbers have been declining for a while.

Quakmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakmybush View Post
I wouldnt concsider Vokoun an elite starting goalie, he lost his job last year, and AFAIK, his numbers have been declining for a while.
nah, Vokoun is one of the best of the best. an elite goaltender with an elite save percentage year after year. He should have won the vezina two years ago.

As for his starting job last year, he didn't lose it......but Craig Anderson is one of the most underrated goalies in the league at the moment, with absolutely ******** numbers as a backup....but he won't remain underrated much longer as he's already looking like a stud as Colorado's starter this year.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedBlueAndWhite View Post
Hes had one mediocre season and people start praising him that was his first season. the rest has been pure garbage...hes as bad as raycrap..they are both back up goalies not starting goalies.
Posts like this make me think you've never actually watched Toskala play prior to coming to the Leafs. He stole Nabby's starting job and put up good numbers until last season. So "pure garbage" is a bit of a stretch.
Quote:

Just crazy.
Florida gave up a higher first round pick and Vokoun is paid significantly more. I'm a Vokoun fan and wish we landed him, but the situation was a little different. We didn't give up as much (since not all first round picks are equal) and their salary is fairly different.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
TheProspector

He wasn't bad against Montreal.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:20 AM
fourLEAFclover

When we first got Toskala I was pretty happy with the deal, thinking that we finally had good goaltending. (Same way I felt when we got Raycroft) Boy was I wrong on both accounts, which is why I'm holding back the good feelings I have about the monster. I don't want to set myself up for more disappointment.

They just made an interesting point on leafs lunch that I never really considered... They said that Toskala is on a short leash, not because of the past two games but the past two seasons (which I agree with) and that management must have something up their sleeve because they went and signed Gustavsson, and then they went out and got Joey MacDonald who played 50? games in the NHL last year so they obviously didnt sign him to backup Reimer in the AHL. He's an NHL goalie. Interesting thoughts...

fourLEAFclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:20 AM

I'd say Vokoun is one of the better goaltenders in the league. His last 4 seasons he's had a .919+ save percentage. Toskala can't even get over .900...

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:25 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
Burke has little choice but to give Toskala 15-20 game rope and hope he doesn't hang himself with it. Joey Mac and a goalie with zero NHL experience is not the answer to any question with the word playoffs in it. Burke knows that it's playoffs or bust now after the Kessel trade. The heat is on for Toskala to produce folks and he'll get a longer look than most are ready to give him right now.
That's not true.

Plenty of playoff teams got there by going with their young unproven goalies. That's not just PIT, CAR, and NYR who have young but fairly proven goalies......but teams like WAS and MTL who went with extremely young and barely proven goalies.

And many teams only hurt their playoff chances last year by sticking with underperforming vets too long instead of going with the quality kids - like Hiller in Anaheim or Mason in Columbus. Before they put the kids in net fulltime, those guys were outside the playoffs looking in. If they had gone to the kids sooner, they wouldn't have been bottom seeds.

Meanwhile, teams like Ottawa and Nashville likely killed their playoff chances by sticking with mediocre starters Auld and Ellis far too long, instead of going with the kids Elliott and Rinne much sooner.....if they had, both those teams might have made the playoffs.

Giving Toskala two months of starting duty before making a ballsy decision will kill this team's playoff hopes.

Gusto should be the starter NOW.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:25 AM
YouAreStupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I guess that the kiddies are finding Toskalol to be just the funniest thing since pwn.
lol...

it's not even clever.

YouAreStupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:26 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
I'd say Vokoun is one of the better goaltenders in the league. His last 4 seasons he's had a .919+ save percentage. Toskala can't even get over .900...
Toskala's only finished one season in his career uhnder .900.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Autologic
@Dropinlogic

Is it really the goalies fault when are D has played so bloody awful the past couple games? Honestly, would a goalie change have made a difference last game? The entire team was dominated in the first couple periods against the capitals. We need a way better team effort Tuesday night or it won't really matter who is in net for us.

Autologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kencaid

I WANT GUSTAVSSON TO START

So far, from the little we have seen of him, he looks fantastic. He let in 3 goals on 19 shots against the caps, but one was a breakaway, the other was after two saves and a complete lack of D (how long can semin stand open at the side of the net??), and the third was Semin walking in all alone, who then puts the puck off baeuch's skate.....

I want to see him play one full game. We know what tosk can do, lets see our other half in net.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Posts like this make me think you've never actually watched Toskala play prior to coming to the Leafs. He stole Nabby's starting job and put up good numbers until last season. So "pure garbage" is a bit of a stretch.
He didn't "steal" Nabby's starting job.

Nabby lost that job by having his worst season ever.

Guess which season Toskala "stole" Nabby's starting job?

Nabokov Career:

99/00: .910sv%
00/01: .915sv%
01/02: .918sv%
02/03: .906sv%
03/04: .912sv%
05/06: .885sv%
06/07: .914sv%
07/08: .910sv%
08/09: .910sv%

Take one lucky guess.

Quote:
Florida gave up a higher first round pick and Vokoun is paid significantly more. I'm a Vokoun fan and wish we landed him, but the situation was a little different. We didn't give up as much (since not all first round picks are equal) and their salary is fairly different.
There was a marginal difference in what was given up, for a massive, massive difference in what each team was getting.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Marshy
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
That's not true.

Plenty of playoff teams got there by going with their young unproven goalies. That's not just PIT, CAR, and NYR who have young but fairly proven goalies......but teams like WAS and MTL who went with extremely young and barely proven goalies.

And many teams only hurt their playoff chances last year by sticking with underperforming vets too long instead of going with the quality kids - like Hiller in Anaheim or Mason in Columbus. Before they put the kids in net fulltime, those guys were outside the playoffs looking in. If they had gone to the kids sooner, they wouldn't have been bottom seeds.

Meanwhile, teams like Ottawa and Nashville likely killed their playoff chances by sticking with mediocre starters Auld and Ellis far too long, instead of going with the kids Elliott and Rinne much sooner.....if they had, both those teams might have made the playoffs.

Giving Toskala two months of starting duty before making a ballsy decision will kill this team's playoff hopes.

Gusto should be the starter NOW.

I hope for the team's sake you are right and Gusto can handle starter minutes this year under the pressure cooker that is Toronto. Rushing him to take over the reigns tho, comes with the potential risk of ruining your top goalie prospect's confidence. If it means missing the playoffs this year to ease him into the role by being the backup this year, I would be ok with that.

Marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
IBleedBlueAndWhite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I would definately not agree with that, unless you are counting this year as a season already even though its only been 2 games. 2 years ago Toskala single-handedly won us many games. Even last year before his injury he was good. It's 2 games into the year...cut the guy some slack...

Give him a month, then panick.
wow give a month r u ****in serious nooo way. Do you wanna start the season 0-12-1 ...When did he ever single-handedly win us a game I rarely recalled that...We've all been cutting this guy enough slack enough already. I still cant ****ing believe how many people on this board still believes in this guy its pathetic. HE IS NOT A BONIFIED NUMBER ONE GOALIE.

IBleedBlueAndWhite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Polk High

I'm pretty sure Allaire, Burke and Wilson talk about more than the next hot dog to hit the menu at Burkie's. Burke has made it clear that he intends this team to make the post season this year. Knowing how tight a race it will be to make the playoffs I doubt they would sacrifice any points at any time of the season for any reason. This leads me to believe that Allaire has probably told Burke and Wilson that Toskala is probably a better bet at this time of the season.

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Yup, also noticed that the game was out of reach and the Caps were on cruise control for that portion of the game.
Funny, their coach criticized them for playing far too offensively as the game went on, instead of focussing on defense.

He said they were too busy trying to win "9-1".

Sounds to me like coach thought they were going balls out offensively to end the game.

Certainly from watching those PPs, they certainly looked like they were trying just as hard to score.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Kencaid

My friend is a goalie, and all he does is yell at the tv with tosk in net. After watching way too much hockey with him, even i can pick some of his game apart. Tosk's positioning reminds me alot of the Henrik the King, he plays really close to line a lot (not all the time, tosk does challenge when ppl are rushing down the wing)......even though tosk is a midget in net and lacks all that amazing talent and reflex's of Henrik. The monster seemed more aggressive then tosk.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:38 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
From a Bruins fan, I don't know when, but I suggest SOON, you guys give up on Toskala...how can a goaltender be so awful for 2+ years, yet you're still hanging in with him? I'm usually one who is telling all the over reactors to shut the **** up, but this isn't an overreaction. TO the guy who said it's ridiculous because only "2.5 percent" of the season is done, that's irrelevant when it comes to Toskala...the guy's been horrible much longer than 2.5 percent of a season.

Sure, the defense ain't lookin' too good in Toronto and I don't know how promising the offense will be (prolly will get helped out a little with Kessel), but please, GIVE UP ON TOSKALA...I've seen it on television and first hand many times...when a professional goaltender fails to impress me even once during a game (and I'm easily impressed by NHL players I'd say ), he sucks...

He sucks, he sucks, he sucks...take this as a word of advice.

well thank you haha but we dont have the authority to dump toskala... and if i were you i would be hoping we keep playing him. Taylor Hall would be an adequate replacement for kessel

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:41 AM
sakicisgod

Im completely f*in amazed that there are actually people who believe toskala should be our starter and hasn't lost us games. This is unbelievable. What the hell is wrong with you?!

sakicisgod is offline   Reply With Quote