HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Sharks Fan's First Trip to Staples Center

Old
10-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

vCash: 500
Sharks Fan's First Trip to Staples Center

I recently moved to SD from San Jose and have an opening in my schedule to drive to LA for the Sharks v. Kings game tomorrow.

I am currently working on getting my ticket but I have no clue if there are any more/less desirable seats in the 50-70 range. Any input there would be appreciated. I honestly just care about the experience as I've only been to one Shark's away game at the Kiel Center when I was in grade school.

Now to the really important stuff. What am I looking at parking-wise. I plan on driving up early and making a day of it. I just want to be able to leave and hit the freeway at a decent hour as I'll have work the next morning.

That being said, is there anything around the Staples Center that is cheap and entertaining other than wandering around? I plan to do my fair share of that, I'm just curious if there is anything I should take in.

Other than that, any input would be appreciated. I look forward to a very enjoyable time.

Thanks.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:40 AM
BringTheReign

I don't know about the prices, but LA Live right next door has some cool restaurants and other types of stores and places to just walk around. Sorry I'm not much of a help as I unfortunately have not made it out to a Kings game in awhile.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Seat viewer
http://www.staplescenter.com/seatvie...er&page=hockey
The star is the end the Kings shoot twice.

Go to the Yardhouse at LA Live before the game.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Check out the parking on Hope Street. There are many lots for $10 and withing easy walking distance to Staples Center.

Lots of choices for food and drink in the Nokia Center across the street from Staples, but I don't think that is an all day activity.

As far as seats go if you can find something in any of the PR sections in your price range those are a good way to go.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Go to the Yardhouse at LA Live before the game.
I didn't realize how crowded the yardhouse gets. Tried to go eat there before the opener, showed up at 5:45pm. Every damn restaurant had atleast a 20 minutes wait, and the yardhouse wouldn't even give out wait times. Is it usually that crowded?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I didn't realize how crowded the yardhouse gets. Tried to go eat there before the opener, showed up at 5:45pm. Every damn restaurant had atleast a 20 minutes wait, and the yardhouse wouldn't even give out wait times. Is it usually that crowded?
Yes, but seats open up pretty quickly.

Also remember it was opening night and there were multiple conventions going on at the Convention center

Old
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'm not really sure what you are into but outside of the LA Live area, there are really only restaurants and bars in downtown. Nothing else really to do. The only other thing I could suggest is if you are going to be there with more than an hour or two to spare before the game, you could take the red line (subway) to Olvera Street or Chinatown but again, really the only thing to do there is to drink or eat or buy cheap trinkets or a fake ID in the case of Olvera Street. Aside from the $1.50 you'll pay each way it is free! You could also take the red line to Hollywood but I personally don't know what you'ld want to see there except for maybe a homeless transexual or two. But if you've always wanted to see the walk of fame, it is a 15-20 min train ride away.

If you are looking for more dining options, there are plenty of other restaurants than what LA Live has to offer. Let us know what you are looking for and somebody can give you a suggestion. If you are on a shoestring budget, I'll always suggest Carls Jr (fast food) which serves pitchers of beer for $4.75 after 4pm. They have at least 3 locations downtown that I can think of. But there is a huge variety of nice restaurants downtown if that is what you are looking for.

Again, I don't know what you are into but if you like buying cheap knock-off products, Santee Alley is down the street in the fashion district. I personally love going there. It is like being in a different country. You can haggle with all the salesmen there for various junk.

EDIT: I'll concur with the Hope Street parking selection for cheap lots. If you get there early, you should be able to find free street parking on Grand or Hope street between Pico and Olympic. Free parking starts after 6pm so you'll have to feed the meter until then. Some of the signs have changed to 8pm but I'm fairly certain there are still plenty of 6pm spaces available. Because of the construction that is going on at the Flower Street on ramp to the 110, I'd advise leaving by going north on Hope Street to 8th street (make a left) and get on the 110 there. If you go south on Flower, you could be sitting in a **** load of traffic because they do most of the construction there at night. I can tell you it is completely f'd during the day.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:18 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Check out the parking on Hope Street. There are many lots for $10 and withing easy walking distance to Staples Center.

Lots of choices for food and drink in the Nokia Center across the street from Staples, but I don't think that is an all day activity.

As far as seats go if you can find something in any of the PR sections in your price range those are a good way to go.
There's a lot on Grand(I think, where the Shell station is) that is $7.00 evening, $5 if you get there early.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Sybil227

There is the Grammy museum - which they just lowered admission for to $10. I have no idea how big it is, how long it will take, or how interesting it is. But it's right there @ LA Live across the street from Staples.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Thank you all. The responses are appreciated.

As far as food goes, I really will have no preference. Just something good and filling. I forgot the Staples Center is located in that complex, so I'm sure that'll offer me some entertainment.

Old
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
As long as you leave the building muttering about how Quick stole a game from you guys, I'm good.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
onlyalad

I agree with the Red Line. If you have never been to Hollywood and Highland you should do it once. same goes for Olivera Street. Unfortunatly they are in oppisite directions.
For tickets you can try TicketExchange. Some people sell the PR seats cheap and those are the best in the house. If nothing else to have food brought to your seat. You will have lots of elbow room as well since most people buy those for Laker games

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks

Dude, go to Langers Deli and get the pastrami. You'll thank me later.

I'm going down to LA this weekend and hitting it up. In fact, last time we made a trip to LA was JUST for Langers, Fathers Office, and some Ramen joint.

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
null33

Stubhub is pretty reliable for tickets.

If I were coming up from San Diego, I'd try to hit Phillipe's (http://www.philippes.com/) for lunch and then check out Chinatown, maybe, or Olvera Street (both nearby). Then I'd scoot down Alameda to First Street and Little Tokyo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...es,_California) and after that I'd head up the hill to Grand Avenue and MOCA (http://www.moca.org/).

All that should chew up most of the day, leaving just enough time to visit LA Live for a pre-game drink. Too bad the drive home will be a such a long one -- made so much longer by the dismal drubbing the local NHL franchise will have dished out upon the franchise from San Jose.

But at least you'll have fond memories of the sandwich you ate at Phillipe's.

[edit] To make your getaway, wherever you park (Figueroa, Flower, Hope) head south to Washington, go right, pass under the freeway and look for the 110S Freeway entrance on the right. Keep left to merge onto the 110S. You'll be on the 405S 15 minutes later.

Last edited by null33: 10-05-2009 at 05:16 PM.
null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:08 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
There is the Grammy museum - which they just lowered admission for to $10. I have no idea how big it is, how long it will take, or how interesting it is. But it's right there @ LA Live across the street from Staples.
I believe the Grammy museum is by appointment only.

Old
10-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

As far as museum's go, see the Getty Museum and the Getty house thing in West LA

Old
10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

You can take a walk just before dark on 5th street from Alameda and Figueroa for a good time...

See the side of LA that many want to pretend doesn't exist.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:04 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You can take a walk just before dark on 5th street from Alameda and Figueroa for a good time...

See the side of LA that many want to pretend doesn't exist.
My favorite is crackhead lane just outside the Fashion District.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:02 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
there's a few of those.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
I think I'll pass on the crackhead experience.

My ticket was just emailed to me by stubhub. Side the Sharks shoot on twice ten rows up from the faceoff dot. Tickets are really cheap for Kings' games.

Old
10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I think I'll pass on the crackhead experience.

My ticket was just emailed to me by stubhub. Side the Sharks shoot on twice ten rows up from the faceoff dot. Tickets are really cheap for Kings' games.
Yeah. Last year they had this deal in January for the home games. Sit anywhere for $15 or something like that. We got to sit behind the glass for the Devils and Flyers.

Old
10-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Mike The Franchise

You wouldn't see this kind of hospitality from those ducks fans thats for sure

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:31 AM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Yeah. Last year they had this deal in January for the home games. Sit anywhere for $15 or something like that. We got to sit behind the glass for the Devils and Flyers.

It was $11

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:33 AM
baxterbarton

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
It was $11
Too bad that Devils game was like 5-1 or 6-1. The one game I went to.

baxterbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:35 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxterbarton View Post
Too bad that Devils game was like 5-1 or 6-1. The one game I went to.
Yeah, I tried yelling at the Devils players on the bench but you know, it was tough given that we sucked and all.

The Flyers game was amazing though.