HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Bottom Six

Old
10-05-2009, 09:06 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Flash - Halpern - Clark
Laing - Steckel - Fehr/Bradley

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:07 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post
You aren't thinking of a certain player who's had a number retired out from under him, are you? I doubt it. I think that boat sailed. It'd be fun, but I'm not sure it'd make a lot of hockey sense.
I am not sure I get the retired number thing. I am talking about Halpern. I am not sure that boat sailed. Halpern equals Gordon/Steckel in the faceoff circle. He is at least their equal in the manner that he competes. He is far superior in his ability to contribute offensively.

My main questions are whether TB is selling at the deadline and does Halpern have a good enough season to require the kind of return the Caps would not want to send to a division rival. Otherwise it makes perfect sense.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The way Clark has been playing I see no chance that he is demoted to the 4th line.
I dont see 4th line play as a demotion. I can swap those lines to make my point easier

Clark-Steckel-Bradley
Flash-Gordon-Fehr

I'd give 3 and 4 the same amount of ice time. Why not? Regardless, Clark playing great in two games, is that a trend? The team has kicked ass our first two games. Clark included no doubt. I just think if we are going with three scoring lines that Fehr has the edge over Clark since Fehr can only bring scoring, Clarkie is much more versatile.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Flash - Halpern - Clark
Laing - Steckel - Fehr/Bradley
In the playoffs against opposing top lines, rather than Laich Steckel Bradley they have

Laich-Halpern-Clark.

Cup

Old
10-05-2009, 09:12 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
In the playoffs against opposing top lines, rather than Laich Steckel Bradley they have

Laich-Halpern-Clark.

Cup
Giddy.

Not sure what would work trading-wise to pull it off. I'd hate to send Tampa one of Morrisonn/Jurcina...but that's the only way it works cap wise as any of the existing bottom six that would be traded out don't offset Halpern's price tag (Pro-rating won't matter since the Caps are over right now and using the cushion).

Hmmm. I dunno. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old
10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
txpd

I think the season needs to shake out. We don't know what injuries may occur to create LTIR time. We don't know what the end outcome of Nylander will be yet. Hell, maybe its Nylander that goes to TB that late in the season with the changing of his contract terms in its final year.

It depends on whether Halpern has 10 goals or 20 goals at the deadline would make a big difference in the return but not a lot of difference in how he fills the Caps needs.

Old
10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Anyone watch TB games? How is Halpern's skating these days? He's had a ton of knee surgeries.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:21 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The halpern idea sounds interesting. But there are many variables between now and then.

In the near term I think bruce will give stecks the opportunity to center clark and fehr. But I'd prefer gordon in order to keep steck brads and laing as the checking.

I know no signs point to it, but nyls would benefit by having two bangers and shooters on his line. Nyls curls = point shots = rebounds/deflections.

If they can't move him at all then its foolish not to try to get something out of him. I agree don't play him to prevent injury if there's a chance someone takes him. But once that's gone...

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:26 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

So is this halpie thing all predicated on calling Alzner and Carlson for our stretch run? That should spook TX and some others. I like the idea but rather them be here now to get as much experience as needed.

I tend to think Halpern is desirable because he gets up for games against us, and well cause he is a potomac kid. Otherwise he appears injury prone to me. My gut feeling is that the halpern ship sailed long ago.

Old
10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
frasnap

Quote:
I am not sure I get the retired number thing. I am talking about Halpern. I am not sure that boat sailed. Halpern equals Gordon/Steckel in the faceoff circle. He is at least their equal in the manner that he competes. He is far superior in his ability to contribute offensively.

My main questions are whether TB is selling at the deadline and does Halpern have a good enough season to require the kind of return the Caps would not want to send to a division rival. Otherwise it makes perfect sense.
Didn't the Caps retire Halpern's 11 after he left (Gartner)?

Yeah, on second thought, it might not be such a bad move. I think it's just the Steckel/Gordon redundancy that I reacted to immediately. A third line with Halpern, Clark, and Fehr might actually be very, very good in the playoffs.

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:49 AM
txpd

Forgot about Gartner

Old
10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
If there are two forwards to scratch...I think the answer is simple.

Flash - Steckel - Clark
Laing - Gordon - Fehr

I know you don't see him as scratch-able...but Bradley is indeed scratch-able.
Yeah, that's how I see it. Fleischmann should be eased into the line-up and that's a good way to do it. IF he has a real solid start then maybe you think about him replacing Laich in the top 6 and moving Laich to center to further strengthen them up the middle. In the meantime, though, that's the way to go.

Of note, Clark's assist came on the PP so that bottom six has produced nothing at even-strength so far. Not a big deal through two games but against the better teams they're going to need to at least hold their own at even-strength. They don't collectively have the speed or skill to do that at the moment.

It sounds like if all goes according to plan both Fehr & Fleischmann should be back in the line-up in three weeks or so.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Millhaus

Ok I for one don't get the Halpern love. Do you really think he brings much more to the table than Steckel and Gordon? How about for roughly 3 times each of their salaries? IMO Halpern has slowed down a decent amount, and he was never fast to begin with. And yes he was coming back from an injury last year but his production wasn't really any better than Steckel's and Gordon's and Halpern saw a lot more icetime and also received a decent amount of PP time. And while he is still a pretty good faceoff guy he isn't in Gordon and Steckel's league IMO at 52.8% vs. 56.1% and 57.9% respectively. I'm sorry but if the Caps bring in a $2 mil veteran and it is Jeff Halpern I am going to be pissed.

And as far as where Fehr and Fleischmann fit when they return regardless of how the PK unit has done so far I don't see that alone being a reason they will keep Laing in the lineup seeing as he is seeing the 5th most PK minutes amongst the forwards at just 1:16 per game, and yes I know it is only 2 games in but to be calling him a PK mainstay at this point is a little early. They could easily distribute that little bit of PK time to Semin, Backstrom, and Fleischmann and not miss a beat IMO.

Fleischmann-Steckel-Clark
Bradley-Gordon-Fehr

Is going to be a whole lot better than what they have now on the bottom 6. Lets give that a try for a while...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
If the capitals end up being able to having some caps space come trade deadline it wouldn't have a problem with them picking up some size at the Center position considering the Centers of philly/pens.

10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I know most here hate the "Laich at Center" idea, but if Bruce really decides he needs scoring from the 3rd line, well it may be an inevitable eventuality if only for a game or two, especially if Steckel keeps playing like crap.

Flash - BreMo - Knuble
Fehr - Laich - Clark
Steckel/Laing - Gordon/Steckel - Bradley/Gordon

Or some variation thereof (depending on SOB).

It is very tough to balance these things. I still maintain that having Laich and Knuble on the same line is somewhat redundant, and if BreMo and Knuble are kept together they could stand to have someone more skilled there to complement them (as previously discussed). But if you're playing Laich with Steckel or Gordon as his center, well you might just be killing his offense. Maybe Fehr and Clark would be good enough? Or perhaps, instead, you do Flash and Clark (or Flash and Fehr to try and bring back the '08 magic) with Semin and Knuble swapping spots when the time comes?

Then again, maybe you're hurting his game more by making him play C again, even if the team paid him all that lip-service about trusting him as our 2nd line C and whatnot.

Meh. Too many possible combos, and they'll all probably get tried at some point. If not for the logjam I wouldn't mind a strong addition down there, be it Halpy or somebody comparable, but I'm guessing that'd be a low priority right now.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
If the capitals end up being able to having some caps space come trade deadline it wouldn't have a problem with them picking up some size at the Center position considering the Centers of philly/pens.
Ted?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
txpd

Who is going to be replaced with this new size at center? Steckel?

Old
10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Ok I for one don't get the Halpern love. Do you really think he brings much more to the table than Steckel and Gordon? How about for roughly 3 times each of their salaries? IMO Halpern has slowed down a decent amount, and he was never fast to begin with. And yes he was coming back from an injury last year but his production wasn't really any better than Steckel's and Gordon's and Halpern saw a lot more icetime and also received a decent amount of PP time. And while he is still a pretty good faceoff guy he isn't in Gordon and Steckel's league IMO at 52.8% vs. 56.1% and 57.9% respectively. I'm sorry but if the Caps bring in a $2 mil veteran and it is Jeff Halpern I am going to be pissed.

And as far as where Fehr and Fleischmann fit when they return regardless of how the PK unit has done so far I don't see that alone being a reason they will keep Laing in the lineup seeing as he is seeing the 5th most PK minutes amongst the forwards at just 1:16 per game, and yes I know it is only 2 games in but to be calling him a PK mainstay at this point is a little early. They could easily distribute that little bit of PK time to Semin, Backstrom, and Fleischmann and not miss a beat IMO.

Fleischmann-Steckel-Clark
Bradley-Gordon-Fehr

Is going to be a whole lot better than what they have now on the bottom 6. Lets give that a try for a while...
Halpern won't get $2 million per year his next contract. I'd guess he gets half that. Combine that with the fact that Steckel is due a raise after this season, and I think you could see Halpern paid less than Steckel next year.

While the knees are a legitimate concern, before his injury, he was probably as fast as Gordon. He's just as good as Steckel and Gordon defensively, and would offer significantly more offensively (if healthy). A healthy Halpern would do wonders for the bottom 6, IMO.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

In terms of a Halpern vs Steckel/Gordon debate....I'm pretty sure the Caps wanted Halpern back...just not at the price that Dallas paid. Halpern got his big free agent deal...good for him.

But I'm sure if the Caps could afford the cost at the deadline and have the space...Mafki would pull the trigger on that deal. Halpern, while older and injury prone, is better than Steckel and or Gordon at this very second. I don't see how that can be debated.

It's a risk...but if Gordon and Steckel are not the two going back in a trade...then it's an obvious upgrade with a fall back plan if something goes wrong with Halpern.

Regardless...need some money from somewhere first before even thinking this far ahead. I just want to see how this existing bottom six preforms going forward...and with the Flash/Fehr additions...it should improve some. Hopefully.

Old
10-05-2009, 12:26 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Halpern certainly does not address anyone's size concerns at center. Bruce loves the big boy steckel. The odd man out would be Gordon especially since JH is a rightie. I'd like to think one of our Hershey centers could bring what Halpern would. I think we are stocked at center and we'll only make a move if the bug bites. Halpie can't fix our bottom line issues, if we even have any. We need to figure out if we want a checking line or a scoring line before we do anything. And not wait until the playoffs to discover it.

Old
10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Snap poll:

Who would everyone rather keep past this season, Steckel or Gordon? I doubt both are brought back.

I would guess we could do Gordon 3 years for $3.3 or Steckel 3 years for $3.75...so I'm assuming salary differential between the two is negligible.

Edit: I vote Gordon. I just love the guy's fing motor. His defensive ability is already well documented. He's also fearless -he's in a lot of highlight reels...as the guy getting creamed. But he's making a smart play as he's taking that beating.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 10-05-2009 at 12:40 PM.
BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I've always been a Gordon guy, and I'd agree that he'll likely make less. So yeah, Boyd for me.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

If the choice is one or the other....I'm going with Steckel by a hair over Gordon as the 4th line center going forward. I like Gordo...quite a bit...but Steckel has move value in face offs and size and has raised his game in the playoffs.

Old
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
dahlenrules

steckel

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Tough call. it may up on how Bruce uses them and it depends on the makeup of the rest of the team. If he learns that a guy like Boyd can give cindy fits, that really helps his cause. Boyd can be a pain in the ass to play against. Watch him next time he gets a plus. He will be fencing a defensemen in front, won the faceoff, hiding on the side of the goal, a pass-to option that never happens, setting a little subtle pick... all along not taking any penalties. And OMG takes the hit to try his little flip pass like no one else.

Bruce shows no inclination to shadow the one guy that can beat us. I have this bad feeling that will never ever change. But he does show a tendency to use right left situational faceoffs. I also think we NEED to have one right handed faceoff man on hand. All that can be out the window with a big game player which BB says Stecks is. Stecks has size and a lot more grit. A playoff guy.

If forced to choose right now, I would take Gordo because he is right handed and is a better skater. But its like 52%. Almost a coin flip on who to take. If we have one other decent RH faceoff guy, Steckel.