HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Bottom Six

Old
10-05-2009, 02:18 PM
pgreene

vCash: 500
gordon, if for no other reason than we need a right hander to take faceoffs. besides, steckel just hasn't looked right lately. can't put my finger on it, but i prefer gordon's play this year to steckel's.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
txpd

Does Halpern really bring that much more to the table than Gordon or Steckel? Hell yes. Gordon and Steckel are guys that score 7-8 goals a season. Halpern has scored 18, 21, 5(48 game knee injury season), 13, 19, 11, 8, 20, 7(52 game post knee injury season).

In Dallas he skated on the 4th line until the season he was traded and his goal production came back up. This is WAY more than what either Steckel or Gordon bring to the table with an equal ability in the face off circle on on the pk.

I think its also incorrect to say that Halpern is injury prone. He has played at least 70 games in 7 of his 9 NHL seasons. He has had two knee surgeries five seasons apart.

Lastly, the Caps didn't let Halpern go because they didnt want him. Dallas offered him a contract that made no sense for the Caps to match. Halpern has also said that he didnt want to leave, but couldnt turn down the opportunity with things as uncertain as they were in Washington.

I think Halpern would jump at a chance to rejoin the Capitals and I think McPhee would take him back if it made sense as well.

As for which to keep of Steckel and Gordon, I would take Gordon. A right hand face off guy.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
um

flieschmann-steckel-fehr
clark-gordon-bradley

thats not so bad

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Kane meh....would much rather be seeing Bourque getting that limited time.

I can't imagine we'll see Kane again if we're somewhat healthy. Even then, I don't see any reason to call him up again except to avoid a waiver claim.

BTW.....Chris Clark is looking a lot better IMO, at least in the speed, skating dept.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Who is going to be replaced with this new size at center? Steckel?
No way...Dave Steckel, playoff warrior, Sabretooth lookalike with his playoff beard. The guy is a beast in the post season.

Old
10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Millhaus

I'm well aware of what Halpern has done in his career but I'm more concerned with what kind of player Halpern is now. Last I saw of Halpern he was having a slightly more productive offensive season, with about 25% more icetime, than Steckel and Gordon while not being as good in every other aspect of the game and also making 3 times as much.

If this is a discussion about signing the guy next year with the thought that he can be had for half of what he is making now and assuming that he shows himself a 15 goal, 35 point guy again, whose legs are at least reasonably back then sure maybe I could see that happening. But until I see that his game is back and that he can keep up with the rest of the league then I don't think it is a given that Halpern is a better player than Steckel and/or Gordon so I am not about to give away an asset to a division rival for a player who I am not even close to convinced will make the team better.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
If there is an opportunity to bring Halpern back and the Caps pass I'll be disappointed. If anyone read his interview in the offseason its pretty clear that Halpern would love to be a Cap again.

Really gotta get Nylander out of here ASAP.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Halpern might be a better 2nd like center, not in the role Steckel is playing IMO.

Old
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
txpd

I think you are missing the point. Morrisson is fine in the 2nd line spot. Both the third and fouth line centers have zero offensive ability. Having one of the 4th line is understandable. On the 3rd line it contribites mightily to the Caps having only two lines that can score at all.

The reason to add Halpern is to bring a center than can both win face offs and check with quality who can also toss in some offense at a 15-20 goal pace. Come playoff time there wont be a better 3rd line/checking-shut down line than Laich-Halpern-Clark.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think you are missing the point. Morrisson is fine in the 2nd line spot. Both the third and fouth line centers have zero offensive ability. Having one of the 4th line is understandable. On the 3rd line it contribites mightily to the Caps having only two lines that can score at all.

The reason to add Halpern is to bring a center than can both win face offs and check with quality who can also toss in some offense at a 15-20 goal pace. Come playoff time there wont be a better 3rd line/checking-shut down line than Laich-Halpern-Clark.
Steckel's line with Laich carried us for a few games. Who is to say what the addition of Flash and Fehr will do for the bottom 6. You can't just toss aside one of the best faceoff guys in the league for an expensive retread. I would love to see more offense from Steckel, but Halpern isn't that guy anymore...not from the 3rd line with limited minutes.

Another thing of note....Halpern has never made it out of the 1st round. Sorry I pass until we find a better upgrade.

Steckel - 60 faceoffs taken, 60%
Halpern - 32 faceoffs taken, 50%

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 10-05-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old
10-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Maybe not right away or and probably not consistently but:

OV-Backstrom-Knuble
Flash-Mo-Semin
Clark-Laich-Fehr
Laing-Steckel-Gordon

I don't really like Flash in there since I think Laich brings better balance to the line but I don't think there is any avoiding Flash right now. I hope he is packaged for a defenseman eventually but given his camp number, its hard to imagine unless the caps create some more space. I realize they're hot but I see that line as bouncing back and forth depending on the matchup and success. They're too one dimensional otherwise plus Knuble brings that line the balance they've been missing.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Joneyman

I think it's a little too early to write off Stecks to the 4th line. Give him another fifteen games to see if the "cement hands" thing will be consistent through this season.

As I recall, he was getting a lot of love from these boards when he was on the 3rd line last year during the playoff run...

Joneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:17 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
I think Halpern is probably trending downward. Gordo is flat - very consistent. Steckel is trending upward with the least offensive of linemates. Do you think he couldnt score 15 with 2nd line ice time? Even the cement head himself Dave Semenko potted a few. Speaking of cement head.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codependent View Post
Maybe not right away or and probably not consistently but:

OV-Backstrom-Knuble
Flash-Mo-Semin
Clark-Laich-Fehr
Laing-Steckel-Gordon

I don't really like Flash in there since I think Laich brings better balance to the line but I don't think there is any avoiding Flash right now. I hope he is packaged for a defenseman eventually but given his camp number, its hard to imagine unless the caps create some more space. I realize they're hot but I see that line as bouncing back and forth depending on the matchup and success. They're too one dimensional otherwise plus Knuble brings that line the balance they've been missing.
Mine would be similar to yours...

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Clark - Morrison - Semin
Flash - Laich - Fehr
Laing - Steckel - Bradley

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
frasnap

Assuming we see Steckel of the end of last year and not sit-on-his-laurels Steckel we're getting right now, then I take him over Gordon. Agreed that it's nearly a coinflip.

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post
Assuming we see Steckel of the end of last year and not sit-on-his-laurels Steckel we're getting right now, then I take him over Gordon. Agreed that it's nearly a coinflip.
That might be the crux of it, although end-of-year Steckel probably ends up being too expensive if he holds on to that level of play (and I don't know if we can honestly expect that for a whole season; should we expect similar from Bradley after his performance vs. the Rags?).

I'd rather have Gordon if it's for the 4th line, because he's cheap, maybe a bit more reliable (Steckel seems to have bad games more often), and seems like a more consistent PKer to my eyes. If it's 3rd line, though, well I guess Steckel's the one that's show more upside there.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
SuperUke99

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post
Any reason why Anton Gustovsson was called up today?

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUke99 View Post
Any reason why Anton Gustovsson was called up today?
he wasnt. just a mistake.

10-05-2009, 06:27 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
he wasnt. just a mistake.
Are we sure it was a mistake?

He could have been called up in order to loan back to SEL.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:29 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

That feels like something Walton would have mentioned from practice, though (unless he did and I missed it).

Even if we don't expect Tarik and Corey to keep up with these things, I'd be surprised if it slipped by Walton as well.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:33 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Walton is quick to announce the arrivals in Hershey...but not so much the departures.

That being said...It's likely nothing.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:54 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
If there is an opportunity to bring Halpern back and the Caps pass I'll be disappointed. If anyone read his interview in the offseason its pretty clear that Halpern would love to be a Cap again.

Really gotta get Nylander out of here ASAP.
Halpern would be a great value trade at the deadline.

After they improve the back-end.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Gordon and a pick for Ott.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:16 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:

was mentioned elsewhere on the internets. not sustantiated one way or the other anyways.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:

yup; can anyone provide a link to the wire/transaction page where they saw the information?

On the Gordon/Steckel question, I'd select Gordon if a decision had to be made, but there are pros and cons either way, just like a summer ago when this question was posed. The Boudreau/Steckel relationship will be a factor if it comes to a decision, too, fwiw.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote