HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 3RD LINE MONSTER

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about our 3rd line?
Keep them together! They're just too good together! 60 69.77%
Break them up! We need one of those guys to play with Geno and Feds! 12 13.95%
Undecided. Lets just wait and see what happens... 14 16.28%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-03-2009, 02:28 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
The 3RD LINE MONSTER

Don't know about you guys, but from what I saw last night that 3rd line pairing of Cooke-Staal-Kennedy was arguably the best one out of BOTH teams. They don't look like they've lost a step at all from last season, and out of our 4 forward lines, they seem to be able to cycle the puck the best and play the most effective 2-way game.

Now, I know there are a few people on here lobbying to have at least 1 of the guys from that 3rd line removed (either TFK or Staal mainly) to have them play in on one of the wings on the first 2 lines, but at this point would that really be the best decision? From the looks of things that 3rd line is the best final punch to compliment the first two lines, thus effectively being able to tire out the opposition, which pretty much already burnt themselves out trying to defend against the likes of Sid and Geno. It also provides DB with the luxury of rolling all 4 lines consistenly as opposed to depending so heavily on just his top 2 units.

Personally I'm fully behind keeping that 3rd unit intact, at least for the time being. When Talbot comes back he could probably regain his 2nd line winger position alongside Geno and Feds, thus push Dupuis back down to the 4th line. But in the meantime, I wanna push that 3rd line combo for as long as we possibly can get the best results out of them.

What are your thoughts?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I say.. we were all wrong about putting TK up w/ Geno. That line was unbelievable last night and that's why DB is the coach and we are all sitting here discussing it.

I think the best way for this team to be productive, is to keep the 3 lines of depth going. Once the opposition gets by Sid and Geno.. they have to deal with the tenacity of our third line. That's an incredible thing for DB to have on the roster.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:50 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Let them do their thing and turn more attention towards refining the top two lines. Who knows, maybe one day that'll be our 2nd line and we'll have to put out the two-headed monster as our top line.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Sometimes you just have to keep the band together.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I say.. we were all wrong about putting TK up w/ Geno. That line was unbelievable last night and that's why DB is the coach and we are all sitting here discussing it.

I think the best way for this team to be productive, is to keep the 3 lines of depth going. Once the opposition gets by Sid and Geno.. they have to deal with the tenacity of our third line. That's an incredible thing for DB to have on the roster.
This. Our third line is our best line and has the most chemistry. If they can continue their playoff and first game magic, there is no reason whatsoever to break them up.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:01 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Keep 'em together. Besides being one of the best checking lines in the league, they also provide hours of comedic gold as this board implodes over trading Staal, moving Kennedy, and the possibility of Pascal Dupuis pissing in some lucky poster's Fruit Loops.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
JTG

I'm undecided. I definitely think they should be kept together for the foreseeable future, but that could change if 2/3 of our lines go cold.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Energise

If Dupuis or Bourque aren't the answer for line 2, it may be necessary to mix things up until Max comes back. I don't support it at all, but I think it could happen. When guys get cold, there is always the possibility that things will get shaken up anyhow.

Energise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le58Tang View Post
If Dupuis or Bourque aren't the answer for line 2, it may be necessary to mix things up until Max comes back. I don't support it at all, but I think it could happen. When guys get cold, there is always the possibility that things will get shaken up anyhow.
Yeah, but Max isn't the answer there either.

Really, if the top 2 lines go cold, it's up to Crosby and Malkin to jump start them since, frankly, they pretty much carry those two anyway. No sense trying to break up the only productive line in order to have 3 unproductive lines instead of two.

I know it'd suck for people's fantasy teams, but really, I don't see any benefit to breaking up the third, other than to satisfy the mob screaming for Dupuis' head.

Old
10-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Would've been nice to see TK get a chance with Geno, but it's impossible to argue with their dominating performance last night.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:13 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Would've been nice to see TK get a chance with Geno, but it's impossible to argue with their dominating performance last night.
The only way I can see TK leaving that third line is if Bourque steals that spot. Which is certainly not outside the range of possibility, but it's going to probably take an injury to Dupuis and Bourque flubbing his shot at the top 6 to make it happen, I think.

It's just too hard to argue with that chemistry, especially since they get a very decent amount of ice time.

Old
10-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Energise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post

Really, if the top 2 lines go cold, it's up to Crosby and Malkin to jump start them since, frankly, they pretty much carry those two anyway. No sense trying to break up the only productive line in order to have 3 unproductive lines instead of two.

I know it'd suck for people's fantasy teams, but really, I don't see any benefit to breaking up the third, other than to satisfy the mob screaming for Dupuis' head.
I agree 100%. Talbot really isn't the answer there either, but I would probably put him as the best fit of the 3 (until/unless Bourque can prove himself there of course). Bylsma shaking things up isn't, however, out of the question. I guess you never know, but breaking those 3 guys up would be very unfortunate.

Energise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Would love TK with Geno for a while, but these guys are just so good together and have played so well together and been able to stick together to build chemistry. THey seem like they always know where the other is and their certain role. Great combination of size (Staal), speed (Kennedy) and grit(Cooke). It's just such a nice luxury to have that any of our top 3 lines can dominate a shift at anytime and we will always already have that with the top 2 lines.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Jag68Sid87

Keep it intact, it's a special third line we have going on right now. The glue of this team, in fact.

We have options for the top six (Bourque, an AHL call-up, Shero's magic fingers, dumping Dupuis and going with one less forward in the lineup--I kid, I kid) until Mad Max returns. Then, at that time, we can evaluate if No. 25 is just Claude Lemieux, part deux, or if he is the solution.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Kinguin

I know I'm in minority here and maybe I'm stubborn, but I still think Dupuis could do the job on L3 and Malkin would benefit with TK on his RW. As we move people around, we could use TK on L3 enough for them to not lose chemistry.

Anyways, as it's working so well, it's not smart right now to mess with the structure, so, let's wait and see what happens.

Real problem is the L2 RW. I believe Shero is trying to find a better solution, whether is from within the system or from outside. That would be the ideal, insert somebody on Malkin's line and leave L3 alone.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:18 PM
BrOrpik 44

Well if it aint broke, dont try to fix it!
I would love to have TfK on our 2nd line though, IF the chemistry is somehow lost during regular season.

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Lucky Strike

According to this, the 3rd line will be together tonight: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Lucky Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:22 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Well, you gotta figure that Tangradi is always an option if things go really cold. I know Rossi was mentioning that the Pens might look at slotting him in sooner than expected. And while, yes, it's Rossi and all, Tangradi definitely looked like a viable option there in preseason.

On the other hand, there's always trades as means of fixing a line as well. It doesn't have to be simply about moving Kennedy, although it might be the most easily apparent option.

Old
10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:

Max is one of the only players I'd replace TK with on the 3rd line. Then we can move TK up and I think that benefits the team as a whole.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Well, you gotta figure that Tangradi is always an option if things go really cold. I know Rossi was mentioning that the Pens might look at slotting him in sooner than expected. And while, yes, it's Rossi and all, Tangradi definitely looked like a viable option there in preseason.

On the other hand, there's always trades as means of fixing a line as well. It doesn't have to be simply about moving Kennedy, although it might be the most easily apparent option.
Funny thing is that I think we can agree that TK is our best option right now to L2 - at least many folks were thinking so - but he is also the best option to L3.

A guy coming in from a trade (I know it's difficult) our even best, a youngster like Tangradi emerging would solve well, many problems. That's why they are in a hurry to see what this guy can do, and others will have their chances as well.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:36 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Honestly, though, having a good 3rd line stretches defensive match ups thinner than two good lines. If Sid and Geno are both going cold for huge stretches of time, we're ****ed regardless. But keeping Kennedy with Staal and Cooke ensures that opponents need to watch that third line just as closely as the top 6, giving us gaps in coverage that we can exploit.

I just don't see much advantage to weakening one strong line to benefit another already strong line. Because, let's face it, no matter how his linemates are playing Malkin alone makes a line a threatening line.

Old
10-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I would say there has to be an extremely compelling reason to break them up; for now keep them together with the possibility open for switching things up later. There are just too many unknowns in a season to say you should never split them up. They certainly have good chemistry and take care of business on both sides of the ice, however.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Dan Barr

I voted Undecided, but with a strong leaning towards keeping them together. Ideally, that line stays together and some sort of top 6 winger solution is found.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Illinest

at 9:45 in the closing minutes of game 2 I think maybe you can see why I voted for Kennedy to get bumped up to line 2.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Max is one of the only players I'd replace TK with on the 3rd line. Then we can move TK up and I think that benefits the team as a whole.
That's why I believe in keeping it intact at least till Talbot gets back.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote