HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Garrett is a tool

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2009, 06:47 PM
  #51
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,660
vCash: 125
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Couldn't hurt, though.
true but it goes with out saying, i mean anyone with half a brain (or twice the intelligence of Dion Phaneuf) can see this.

__________________
The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
  #52
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssseth View Post
I hate John Garrett almost as much as Pierre McGuire.
Garrett by a mile. Biggest homer ever

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
  #53
OilDude
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton.AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Since when is it news that Garrets a tool?He's been that for along time as well as being a pretty crappy goalie in his day.He's got some funky looking hobbit style ears as well.

OilDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
  #54
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 500
the closest time John Garret ever came to actauly accomplishing something memorable in his life was squashed by an Oiler

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=453348

The Wales Conference had hammered us in the second period. I had managed to hold the fort and thought I was a lock for MVP honours - and the brand new car that came with it.

As my Campbell teammate Lanny McDonald famously put it: “I think John was up to the glove compartment, a horn and two tires when Wayne Gretzky took over.”

Gretzky potted a record-setting four goals in the final ten minutes of the third period to steal the keys out of my pocket. Though I can think of worse fates than getting upstaged by Wayne Gretzky and a record-setting performance.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
  #55
reckless_abandon
Registered User
 
reckless_abandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
He has nothing against the Oilers. He has done colour for them in the past. Guess what, when he had that job, the Oil were the best thing ever. They even pulled a prank on him once. Both goalies were 'injured', and he came down from the press box and actually suited up and went on the ice, apparently to play. Miraculously, one of the goalies was healthy enough to go; everyone had a big laugh. True story.
You know, Garrett was paid a $1000 by Sather for dressing up that intermission. Pretty expensive joke.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
  #56
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
I actually lol'd at the "Confirmed with Link" part. I don't know why, it is just really cheeky.
It's a perfect title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Both positions have other men shooting stuff at their face

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
  #57
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
You know, Garrett was paid a $1000 by Sather for dressing up that intermission. Pretty expensive joke.
Sather just wanted him out of the press box.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:20 PM
  #58
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
I actually lol'd at the "Confirmed with Link" part. I don't know why, it is just really cheeky.
Same here.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
  #59
Cawz
Registered User
 
Cawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
He has nothing against the Oilers. He has done colour for them in the past. Guess what, when he had that job, the Oil were the best thing ever.
Yup, you put it best calling him a paid Bandwagon jumper. He just doesn it so blatantly that its insulting to intelligent fans. I'm sure we all like a slightly biased commentator, but he takes it too far.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:49 PM
  #60
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the closest time John Garret ever came to actauly accomplishing something memorable in his life was squashed by an Oiler

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=453348

The Wales Conference had hammered us in the second period. I had managed to hold the fort and thought I was a lock for MVP honours - and the brand new car that came with it.

As my Campbell teammate Lanny McDonald famously put it: “I think John was up to the glove compartment, a horn and two tires when Wayne Gretzky took over.”

Gretzky potted a record-setting four goals in the final ten minutes of the third period to steal the keys out of my pocket. Though I can think of worse fates than getting upstaged by Wayne Gretzky and a record-setting performance.
Another reason to love The Great One.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:49 PM
  #61
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
You know, Garrett was paid a $1000 by Sather for dressing up that intermission. Pretty expensive joke.
Worth every penny, I'm sure.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:55 PM
  #62
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,684
vCash: 500


too bad i suck at video editting, else id just edit in his mug for the doc

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:07 AM
  #63
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I wonder what Garrett is saying right now after the Cansucks dropped their third in a row. Man does Luongo ever suck right now. I guess that's what happens when you win too many pre-season games.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:15 AM
  #64
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
As a Vancouver fan, i love him because i want to hear some positive things about the canucks rather than the usual bashing from the other color commentator. Some of them looks like are so reluctant to give any positive comment on the canucks when they are doing fine, and will absolutely run wild when the canucks are losing.

As an Edmonton fan, well, i dont really mind that because he is john garrett, you are not supposed to take him seriously.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:32 AM
  #65
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
As a Vancouver fan, i love him because i want to hear some positive things about the canucks rather than the usual bashing from the other color commentator. Some of them looks like are so reluctant to give any positive comment on the canucks when they are doing fine, and will absolutely run wild when the canucks are losing.

As an Edmonton fan, well, i dont really mind that because he is john garrett, you are not supposed to take him seriously.
A Oilers and Canucks fan? Is this possible?

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:40 AM
  #66
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
You know, Garrett was paid a $1000 by Sather for dressing up that intermission. Pretty expensive joke.
I wouldn't doubt that coin came right out of Slats pocket. You do realize that guy has been incredibly successful with his real estate holdings; Banff, Hilton Head, etc. Hey, if I had to shell out a grand to pull off a prank like that, to a person like that, I'd probably be a thousand dollars lighter in the pocket, because that's one for the books.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:43 AM
  #67
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
A Oilers and Canucks fan? Is this possible?
Well, i like all Canadian teams except the flames, so we have a common enemy. (Dion Phuanef's ugly face, it is)

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:17 AM
  #68
OilerBoy888*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
I wonder what Garrett is saying right now after the Cansucks dropped their third in a row. Man does Luongo ever suck right now. I guess that's what happens when you win too many pre-season games.
Oiler fan in Vancouver here.
When Hordichuk nailed someone from behind with a late hit tonight, Garrett said "there's nothing wrong with that, I don't understand the penalty. Why is Hitchcock upset?" What an idiot. It was a late hit and the CBJ player was laying there motionless.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:20 AM
  #69
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Garrett is the biggest tool in hockey broadcasting that I know of. Way ahead of even Crawford commentating for a game involving the Canucks or Bertuzzi. The guy must be gulping lotus land flavoured Kool Aid by the liter during broadcasts.

It was enjoyable watching the Jackets give Louie the baseball hat, once the mental filter that blocks out the chit chat kicks in.

And LOL at the "Comfirmed with Link." Gold.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:35 AM
  #70
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,718
vCash: 500
Whether he sucks up for the team or not, most fans think little of Garrett. He is about as bad an announcer as he was a goaltender.

One thing that irks me is when they refer to him as an all-star goaltender. Actually he was a bad backup for the Canucks when Kirk McLean was put on the all-star team. McLean got hurt and Garrett had to replace him. Yet now he even talks about his all-star experience and makes no mention of the lame way he got on the team.

Garrett is an example of one of those alumini who weren't any good, but got in with the boys by playing on the Alumni team when they went around playing the firemen or the local coaches in Hockey Jamborees. Eventually parlayed that into an announcer gig with the Canucks.

Was, at one point, an incredible homer for the Canucks but is now more subdued.

Really can't see why anyone gives a damn about anything Garrett says. Just another example of the hopeless hockey reporters and announcers they have on Sportnet.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:41 AM
  #71
Slapshot_11
Registered User
 
Slapshot_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
Oiler fan in Vancouver here.
When Hordichuk nailed someone from behind with a late hit tonight, Garrett said "there's nothing wrong with that, I don't understand the penalty. Why is Hitchcock upset?" What an idiot. It was a late hit and the CBJ player was laying there motionless.
No... he was talking about Hitchcock and how he was yelling at the Vancouver bench as if Hordichuk was told to do that. He never said it wasnt a penalty.

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:59 AM
  #72
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Really can't see why anyone gives a damn about anything Garrett says. Just another example of the hopeless hockey reporters and announcers they have on Sportnet.
They had Ferraro, who I think has been one of the best in the biz lately. TSN were brilliant for snapping him up, but their gain was our loss.

Kevin Quinn I find is pretty decent too. And I kinna like DeBrusk.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:22 AM
  #73
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
i have yet to see a colour commentator who loves the canucks more than john garrett, so i take him over guys who simply hates us.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:34 AM
  #74
Spartan117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssseth View Post
I hate John Garrett almost as much as Pierre McGuire.
I once read he anonymously called into a radio show after he and his Canucks lost to Gretz and Co. pretending to be someone from Hartford so he could bad mouth the Oilers. I don't know if its true or not but bases on his character, I wouldn't doubt it.

In '06, during the Oilers Cup run, he expressed his opinion, night after night, about the Oilers being inferior to the Red Wings while the Oilers were beating them on ice and the scoreboard. He cannot give credit where credit is due cause he still has venomous hate towards the club he rarely stopped in his goal stopping days. Garrett is far from a professional broadcaster and he proves that with his biased comments.

Should have seen the Sportsnet season preview 2 years ago when Kypreos mocked Garrett for picking the Canucks year after year to win the Cup.

Grow up Garrett.....and stop trying to sleep with Lulongo!

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:39 AM
  #75
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
I once read he anonymously called into a radio show after he and his Canucks lost to Gretz and Co. pretending to be someone from Hartford so he could bad mouth the Oilers. I don't know if its true or not but bases on his character, I wouldn't doubt it.

In '06, during the Oilers Cup run, he expressed his opinion, night after night, about the Oilers being inferior to the Red Wings while the Oilers were beating them on ice and the scoreboard. He cannot give credit where credit is due cause he still has venomous hate towards the club he rarely stopped in his goal stopping days. Garrett is far from a professional broadcaster and he proves that with his biased comments.

Should have seen the Sportsnet season preview 2 years ago when Kypreos mocked Garrett for picking the Canucks year after year to win the Cup.

Grow up Garrett.....and stop trying to sleep with Lulongo!
i agree with most of your comment, but Kypreos isnt exactly a very good reporter himself too.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.