HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Garrett is a tool

Old
10-05-2009, 06:47 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 125
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Couldn't hurt, though.
true but it goes with out saying, i mean anyone with half a brain (or twice the intelligence of Dion Phaneuf) can see this.

10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssseth View Post
I hate John Garrett almost as much as Pierre McGuire.
Garrett by a mile. Biggest homer ever

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
OilDude

Since when is it news that Garrets a tool?He's been that for along time as well as being a pretty crappy goalie in his day.He's got some funky looking hobbit style ears as well.

OilDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Mr Sakich

the closest time John Garret ever came to actauly accomplishing something memorable in his life was squashed by an Oiler

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=453348

The Wales Conference had hammered us in the second period. I had managed to hold the fort and thought I was a lock for MVP honours - and the brand new car that came with it.

As my Campbell teammate Lanny McDonald famously put it: “I think John was up to the glove compartment, a horn and two tires when Wayne Gretzky took over.”

Gretzky potted a record-setting four goals in the final ten minutes of the third period to steal the keys out of my pocket. Though I can think of worse fates than getting upstaged by Wayne Gretzky and a record-setting performance.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
reckless_abandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
He has nothing against the Oilers. He has done colour for them in the past. Guess what, when he had that job, the Oil were the best thing ever. They even pulled a prank on him once. Both goalies were 'injured', and he came down from the press box and actually suited up and went on the ice, apparently to play. Miraculously, one of the goalies was healthy enough to go; everyone had a big laugh. True story.
You know, Garrett was paid a $1000 by Sather for dressing up that intermission. Pretty expensive joke.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
I actually lol'd at the "Confirmed with Link" part. I don't know why, it is just really cheeky.
It's a perfect title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Both positions have other men shooting stuff at their face

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
You know, Garrett was paid a $1000 by Sather for dressing up that intermission. Pretty expensive joke.
Sather just wanted him out of the press box.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
I actually lol'd at the "Confirmed with Link" part. I don't know why, it is just really cheeky.
Same here.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
He has nothing against the Oilers. He has done colour for them in the past. Guess what, when he had that job, the Oil were the best thing ever.
Yup, you put it best calling him a paid Bandwagon jumper. He just doesn it so blatantly that its insulting to intelligent fans. I'm sure we all like a slightly biased commentator, but he takes it too far.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the closest time John Garret ever came to actauly accomplishing something memorable in his life was squashed by an Oiler

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=453348

The Wales Conference had hammered us in the second period. I had managed to hold the fort and thought I was a lock for MVP honours - and the brand new car that came with it.

As my Campbell teammate Lanny McDonald famously put it: “I think John was up to the glove compartment, a horn and two tires when Wayne Gretzky took over.”

Gretzky potted a record-setting four goals in the final ten minutes of the third period to steal the keys out of my pocket. Though I can think of worse fates than getting upstaged by Wayne Gretzky and a record-setting performance.
Another reason to love The Great One.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Worth every penny, I'm sure.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:55 PM
frag2

too bad i suck at video editting, else id just edit in his mug for the doc

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I wonder what Garrett is saying right now after the Cansucks dropped their third in a row. Man does Luongo ever suck right now. I guess that's what happens when you win too many pre-season games.

10-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

As a Vancouver fan, i love him because i want to hear some positive things about the canucks rather than the usual bashing from the other color commentator. Some of them looks like are so reluctant to give any positive comment on the canucks when they are doing fine, and will absolutely run wild when the canucks are losing.

As an Edmonton fan, well, i dont really mind that because he is john garrett, you are not supposed to take him seriously.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
As a Vancouver fan, i love him because i want to hear some positive things about the canucks rather than the usual bashing from the other color commentator. Some of them looks like are so reluctant to give any positive comment on the canucks when they are doing fine, and will absolutely run wild when the canucks are losing.

As an Edmonton fan, well, i dont really mind that because he is john garrett, you are not supposed to take him seriously.
A Oilers and Canucks fan? Is this possible?

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:40 AM
the word*

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that coin came right out of Slats pocket. You do realize that guy has been incredibly successful with his real estate holdings; Banff, Hilton Head, etc. Hey, if I had to shell out a grand to pull off a prank like that, to a person like that, I'd probably be a thousand dollars lighter in the pocket, because that's one for the books.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
A Oilers and Canucks fan? Is this possible?
Well, i like all Canadian teams except the flames, so we have a common enemy. (Dion Phuanef's ugly face, it is)

Old
10-06-2009, 03:17 AM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
I wonder what Garrett is saying right now after the Cansucks dropped their third in a row. Man does Luongo ever suck right now. I guess that's what happens when you win too many pre-season games.
Oiler fan in Vancouver here.
When Hordichuk nailed someone from behind with a late hit tonight, Garrett said "there's nothing wrong with that, I don't understand the penalty. Why is Hitchcock upset?" What an idiot. It was a late hit and the CBJ player was laying there motionless.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:20 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Garrett is the biggest tool in hockey broadcasting that I know of. Way ahead of even Crawford commentating for a game involving the Canucks or Bertuzzi. The guy must be gulping lotus land flavoured Kool Aid by the liter during broadcasts.

It was enjoyable watching the Jackets give Louie the baseball hat, once the mental filter that blocks out the chit chat kicks in.

And LOL at the "Comfirmed with Link." Gold.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:35 AM
orcatown

Whether he sucks up for the team or not, most fans think little of Garrett. He is about as bad an announcer as he was a goaltender.

One thing that irks me is when they refer to him as an all-star goaltender. Actually he was a bad backup for the Canucks when Kirk McLean was put on the all-star team. McLean got hurt and Garrett had to replace him. Yet now he even talks about his all-star experience and makes no mention of the lame way he got on the team.

Garrett is an example of one of those alumini who weren't any good, but got in with the boys by playing on the Alumni team when they went around playing the firemen or the local coaches in Hockey Jamborees. Eventually parlayed that into an announcer gig with the Canucks.

Was, at one point, an incredible homer for the Canucks but is now more subdued.

Really can't see why anyone gives a damn about anything Garrett says. Just another example of the hopeless hockey reporters and announcers they have on Sportnet.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
Oiler fan in Vancouver here.
When Hordichuk nailed someone from behind with a late hit tonight, Garrett said "there's nothing wrong with that, I don't understand the penalty. Why is Hitchcock upset?" What an idiot. It was a late hit and the CBJ player was laying there motionless.
No... he was talking about Hitchcock and how he was yelling at the Vancouver bench as if Hordichuk was told to do that. He never said it wasnt a penalty.

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:59 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Really can't see why anyone gives a damn about anything Garrett says. Just another example of the hopeless hockey reporters and announcers they have on Sportnet.
They had Ferraro, who I think has been one of the best in the biz lately. TSN were brilliant for snapping him up, but their gain was our loss.

Kevin Quinn I find is pretty decent too. And I kinna like DeBrusk.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

i have yet to see a colour commentator who loves the canucks more than john garrett, so i take him over guys who simply hates us.

Old
10-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssseth View Post
I hate John Garrett almost as much as Pierre McGuire.
I once read he anonymously called into a radio show after he and his Canucks lost to Gretz and Co. pretending to be someone from Hartford so he could bad mouth the Oilers. I don't know if its true or not but bases on his character, I wouldn't doubt it.

In '06, during the Oilers Cup run, he expressed his opinion, night after night, about the Oilers being inferior to the Red Wings while the Oilers were beating them on ice and the scoreboard. He cannot give credit where credit is due cause he still has venomous hate towards the club he rarely stopped in his goal stopping days. Garrett is far from a professional broadcaster and he proves that with his biased comments.

Should have seen the Sportsnet season preview 2 years ago when Kypreos mocked Garrett for picking the Canucks year after year to win the Cup.

Grow up Garrett.....and stop trying to sleep with Lulongo!

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
I once read he anonymously called into a radio show after he and his Canucks lost to Gretz and Co. pretending to be someone from Hartford so he could bad mouth the Oilers. I don't know if its true or not but bases on his character, I wouldn't doubt it.

In '06, during the Oilers Cup run, he expressed his opinion, night after night, about the Oilers being inferior to the Red Wings while the Oilers were beating them on ice and the scoreboard. He cannot give credit where credit is due cause he still has venomous hate towards the club he rarely stopped in his goal stopping days. Garrett is far from a professional broadcaster and he proves that with his biased comments.

Should have seen the Sportsnet season preview 2 years ago when Kypreos mocked Garrett for picking the Canucks year after year to win the Cup.

Grow up Garrett.....and stop trying to sleep with Lulongo!
i agree with most of your comment, but Kypreos isnt exactly a very good reporter himself too.