HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/6 - 7:00PM - Tampa Bay VS Carolina

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
welp

Old
10-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
So they play better defense, but the offense and PP cant get going, and the given shootout loss to end the evening.

Someday in my lifetime they will play a game where everything clicks.
2004 called

Old
10-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
How can this team suck so bad at SO?
They lost a great SO guy in Brad Richards. Plus, Vinny or Marty didn't learn anything from him by coming in fast and shooting. Too much dinking going on.

And is Adam Oates really working with this PP? If so, he's not doing too well when they go 1-8 in tonight's game.

Old
10-07-2009, 09:54 AM
ThunderRoad

Was at the game last night - just a few thoughts:

1) The Lightning can actually make some nice outlet passes. This aspect of the team's game is so improved from last year it's like night and day, and their transition game even looked better than Saturday's game against Atlanta.
2) We actually have a defense this year, thought they played well. Ranger I thought actually looked good out there (he stood out and not in a "omg what are you doing" kind of way, handled the puck well). Ohlund was very composed and smart with the puck. Hedman can make some beautiful passes, although he had a few bad giveaways trying to thread the needle (but he does look awesome in a Lightning jersey). Hale was alright, had a few nice passes out of the zone but did commit one horrible turnover in the first (he's serviceable and even had some nice hits along the boards).
3) Smitty concerned me after Carolina got their first goal - was holding his head for a little while there and was slow to get back to his feet
4) 3rd and 4th lines stood out, not so much with top 2 lines. Wright should absolutely make this team (he really hustles) and Miller looked quite good.
5) Lost count of all the shots on net the Lightning missed wide right - some rocket shots but off the mark
6) Power play was of course awful - alot of perimeter passing back and forth, wasting time, and no one really going to front of the net - very frustrating. I guess it will be good to get Foster back on the point.
7) Marty standing next to Hedman is too funny, esp with Hedman leaning down to hear Marty's instructions.
8) Smitty putting Yelle in a headlock was awesome - got the crowd all out and bothered - apparently Smith is one dirty SOB.
9) Carolina's first SO goal was kinda embarrasing - have no idea what Smitty was doing. He came out of the net and flopped to the ice before Samsonov was even really near him - result was WIDE open net - not even close
10) Oates was on the bench (no Walz sighting).
11) Tocc made a beeline to speak with the refs around center ice at the conclusion of the first

Would be nice if the Lightning could actually win a game at the RBC, might quiet the "Lightning, you suck" crowd a tiny bit. Oh well - a lot better than any of the games a year ago. Got to sit right behind the glass directly behind Smitty for 2 periods - that is one amazing vantage point. And banging on the glass is more fun than I expected.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:41 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
They lost a great SO guy in Brad Richards. Plus, Vinny or Marty didn't learn anything from him by coming in fast and shooting. Too much dinking going on.

And is Adam Oates really working with this PP? If so, he's not doing too well when they go 1-8 in tonight's game.
Lol because they had one slightly off game on the PP out of the 1 regular game and 18billion preseason games? I wouldnt write off the PP being good just yet. Besides, 1-8 is better than 0-8. Not to mention a few of those were BS "chances" that didnt last very long at all.

I will say that the timing of the PP needs to get better. Meaning when they have a 4 minute long chance they need to get one. And especially when they have a chance right at the end of the game, they need to get one.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
LightningHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Was at the game last night - just a few thoughts:

1) The Lightning can actually make some nice outlet passes. This aspect of the team's game is so improved from last year it's like night and day, and their transition game even looked better than Saturday's game against Atlanta.
2) We actually have a defense this year, thought they played well. Ranger I thought actually looked good out there (he stood out and not in a "omg what are you doing" kind of way, handled the puck well). Ohlund was very composed and smart with the puck. Hedman can make some beautiful passes, although he had a few bad giveaways trying to thread the needle (but he does look awesome in a Lightning jersey). Hale was alright, had a few nice passes out of the zone but did commit one horrible turnover in the first (he's serviceable and even had some nice hits along the boards).
3) Smitty concerned me after Carolina got their first goal - was holding his head for a little while there and was slow to get back to his feet
4) 3rd and 4th lines stood out, not so much with top 2 lines. Wright should absolutely make this team (he really hustles) and Miller looked quite good.
5) Lost count of all the shots on net the Lightning missed wide right - some rocket shots but off the mark
6) Power play was of course awful - alot of perimeter passing back and forth, wasting time, and no one really going to front of the net - very frustrating. I guess it will be good to get Foster back on the point.
7) Marty standing next to Hedman is too funny, esp with Hedman leaning down to hear Marty's instructions.
8) Smitty putting Yelle in a headlock was awesome - got the crowd all out and bothered - apparently Smith is one dirty SOB.
9) Carolina's first SO goal was kinda embarrasing - have no idea what Smitty was doing. He came out of the net and flopped to the ice before Samsonov was even really near him - result was WIDE open net - not even close
10) Oates was on the bench (no Walz sighting).
11) Tocc made a beeline to speak with the refs around center ice at the conclusion of the first

Would be nice if the Lightning could actually win a game at the RBC, might quiet the "Lightning, you suck" crowd a tiny bit. Oh well - a lot better than any of the games a year ago. Got to sit right behind the glass directly behind Smitty for 2 periods - that is one amazing vantage point. And banging on the glass is more fun than I expected.

I was at the game last night as well. Man that Canes crowd is a joke. Bunch of idiots. The game went well for the Lightning, they just had problems putting the puck in the net. 4 or 5 times they hit the post in that game and even missed some wide open net opportunities. The Canes had some great chances but I felt like the Lightning dominated play for the most part. The only time the Canes looked good is when they cycled the puck. This is one thing they do better than just about any other team. They have outstanding hustle. I was kinda close to the Smitty incident which I thought was funny as hell. He didn't really put him in a headlock, Smith just grabbed him and then held his head down from the back while they we're standing. I could tell he was giving him hell and the ref just stood there clueless which I thought was great. Smith is awesome but what the heck was he thinking when he dove sideways when the shooter wasn't even close on the first shootout goal. Bonehead play or he was trying to be slick and catch him off guard since Smith's reach is so great. Man does Hedman look like a beast or what? He's huge for his age, he is really going to be a talent for years to come. He is very heads up and only makes a few mistakes for his experience level. Maybe you saw me I passed quite a few Lightning fans. I was in the Stamkos away jersey with the blue Lightning hat on.

I had a bad night though. To start, on the way in to the RBC Center. A crowd of teens behind me and the wife. Start saying "Lightning sucks" blah, blah, blah. I just ignored it until they said Stamkos sucks. Since I'm the only one in a Stamkos jersey I felt like they we're directing it at me. So I flipped! I went back to them, their was about six all together. I just went off. I'm trying to start a fight cause I'm pissed but they we're just acting like Chicken **** kids. I finally shut them up and went on into the game. During the first intermission some idiot runs his mouth while I'm getting beer, but I promised the wife I would just bite my tongue before we went and got the beer. She was pissed at me from earlier. Then to top it off after the game I'm leaving and that same crowd starts yelling "Hey! Stamkos Sucks!" over and over just directing it at me. Thinking this is high school. Well, sorry but this aint high school and I don't play. I finally had enough. I took my jersey off and went at them. When I get up in the one guys face he starts saying we're kidding blah, blah, blah. "It's just hockey". I told him I don't care what you say about a team but don't direct it at me or it's your a$$. Plain and simple! So he pretty much punked out and as I figured just idiot kids. Then this girl starts running her mouth, so I flipped on her. When it calms down and they walk off I start walking to my car. By the way we are by the cops now who are directing traffic. I notice when I look back this guy with a mean look getting close to me from behind so I turn around and jump at him and tell him you walk up on me like that and Im a **** you up. I go at him and his girlfriend (the one running her mouth) grabs him and starts starts pulling him back. Which he was already walking away saying how he didn't want to fight and had no problem but no one was going to talk to his girl like that. I told him you idiots are out here starting stuff with people you don't know ruining my experience with my wife and now you done set me off. Any how they just walk off and it ends, but now my wife says no more hockey games with her I have to go by myself. I'm not trying to act like a bada$$. I was just responding to people who think they can push you around in public. It is funny that one LIGHTNING fan takes on six Canes fans. I swear every time I go there I have problems with someone. These fans are rude ignorant bunch. I will still go to the games and rep my team, I don't care. If you live here in Raleigh let me know I would like to have a Lightning buddy to go to the games with since I'll be going by myself now. lol

Last edited by LightningHockey: 10-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old
10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningHockey View Post
I was at the game last night as well. Man that Canes crowd is a joke. Bunch of idiots. The game went well for the Lightning, they just had problems putting the puck in the net. 4 or 5 times they hit the post in that game and even missed some wide open net opportunities. The Canes had some great chances but I felt like the Lightning dominated play for the most part. The only time the Canes looked good is when they cycled the puck. This is one thing they do better than just about any other team. They have outstanding hustle. I was kinda close to the Smitty incident which I thought was funny as hell. He didn't really put him in a headlock, Smith just grabbed him and then held his head down from the back while they we're standing. I could tell he was giving him hell and the ref just stood there clueless which I thought was great. Smith is awesome but what the heck was he thinking when he dove sideways when the shooter wasn't even close on the first shootout goal. Bonehead play or he was trying to be slick and catch him off guard since Smith's reach is so great. Man does Hedman look like a beast or what? He's huge for his age, he is really going to be a talent for years to come. He is very heads up and only makes a few mistakes for his experience level. Maybe you saw me I passed quite a few Lightning fans. I was in the Stamkos away jersey with the blue Lightning hat on.

I had a bad night though. To start, on the way in to the RBC Center. A crowd of teens behind me and the wife. Start saying "Lightning sucks" blah, blah, blah. I just ignored it until they said Stamkos sucks. Since I'm the only one in a Stamkos jersey I felt like they we're directing it at me. So I flipped! I went back to them, their was about six all together. I just went off. I'm trying to start a fight cause I'm pissed but they we're just acting like Chicken **** kids. I finally shut them up and went on into the game. During the first intermission some idiot runs his mouth while I'm getting beer, but I promised the wife I would just bite my tongue before we went and got the beer. She was pissed at me from earlier. Then to top it off after the game I'm leaving and that same crowd starts yelling "Hey! Stamkos Sucks!" over and over just directing it at me. Thinking this is high school. Well, sorry but this aint high school and I don't play. I finally had enough. I took my jersey off and went at them. When I get up in the one guys face he starts saying we're kidding blah, blah, blah. "It's just hockey". I told him I don't care what you say about a team but don't direct it at me or it's your a$$. Plain and simple! So he pretty much punked out and as I figured just idiot kids. Then this girl starts running her mouth, so I flipped on her. When it calms down and they walk off I start walking to my car. By the way we are by the cops now who are directing traffic. I notice when I look back this guy with a mean look getting close to me from behind so I turn around and jump at him and tell him you walk up on me like that and Im a **** you up. I go at him and his girlfriend (the one running her mouth) grabs him and starts starts pulling him back. Which he was already walking away saying how he didn't want to fight and had no problem but no one was going to talk to his girl like that. I told him you idiots are out here starting stuff with people you don't know ruining my experience with my wife and now you done set me off. Any how they just walk off and it ends, but now my wife says no more hockey games with her I have to go by myself. I'm not trying to act like a bada$$. I was just responding to people who think they can push you around in public. It is funny that one LIGHTNING fan takes on six Canes fans. I swear every time I go there I have problems with someone. These fans are rude ignorant bunch. I will still go to the games and rep my team, I don't care. If you live here in Raleigh let me know I would like to have a Lightning buddy to go to the games with since I'll be going by myself now. lol
Wow, you are ready to start throwing punches over a "lightning/stamkos sucks?" I would strongly suggest you never go to philly or just about every other arena where the fans are not as nice as they are in Raleigh.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:30 PM
LightningHockey

It's not so much what they we're saying. I felt disrespected as they we're directing it at me. If I was in a crowd of bolts fans then yeah ok but I was walking alone with my wife bothering no one in my own conversation. When people are sayin "Hey! Stamkos sucks!" fine if we're in the game, no big deal. Repeatedly doing it to get my attention is exactly what they got. By the way I would be glad to go back to "Philly" My dad owns a mail trucking company in the Amish town of Newport. I've been to a few Philly games and yeah they are rowdy bunch but not usually out of line idiots. I'ts called class and Canes fans don't have it. When I was a teenager I lived in Battle Creek, MI. People from up north don't intimidate me. That's where I got my attitude from, I'm just like em! People in the southeast tend to be all mouth and push-overs, not all but most.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Sorry you had a run in with the idiot squad at our game, which is exactly what tends to happen on college nights here. Once a good portion of them gets some "liquid courage" and they see someone wearing visiting gear which was you in this case and it won't take long before you're going to be getting it from all sides. Normally our crowd here isn't even close to that shy of when we're playing a team that the fanbase has reason to hate (Buffalo mostly) and even then we won't be the ones starting it the vast majority of the time. Sucks that a bunch of idiots that make it to MAYBE 3 games a year (at most) had to ruin it for you.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
LightningHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Sorry you had a run in with the idiot squad at our game, which is exactly what tends to happen on college nights here. Once a good portion of them gets some "liquid courage" and they see someone wearing visiting gear which was you in this case and it won't take long before you're going to be getting it from all sides. Normally our crowd here isn't even close to that shy of when we're playing a team that the fanbase has reason to hate (Buffalo mostly) and even then we won't be the ones starting it the vast majority of the time. Sucks that a bunch of idiots that make it to MAYBE 3 games a year (at most) had to ruin it for you.
I've been going to the games for about 4 years now since I moved to Raleigh. I'm guessing I've been to around 75 games at the RBC Center. I usually have a fantastic time and I also have friends that are season ticket holders from last year. My wife is a die hard "Caniac" I even participated in the Crazy Caniac Challenge. (Yes, I even wore the Crazy Caniac T-Shirt. Although those hot dogs sucked and weren't even cooked. I think your right about the college night thing with the lower level tickets being cheap they fill the stands and some tend to be annoying. I should have just ignored it because I don't want to be a bad sport and I'm normally a nice guy. I'll just forget about it and chalk it up to an isolated incident. I understand the fans love their team and I get it. I just don't like personal attacks. I remember back in 2006 the wife and I went to round 1 of the playoffs against the Montreal Canadians (games 1 and 2) and the Montreal fans came in with George Bush's head on a stick dressed like a Hurricane player chanting something in French. I have never seen so many one finger salutes in my life and I'm sure if it wasn't a large group of them they probably would have gotten a beat down as Carolina got pushed around those first two games but came back and won the series. Maybe for me it's a jersey thing. I seem to find trouble when I wear my Stamkos jersey. I'm wearing my Lecavalier jersey on Friday for the Panthers game. I never had any problems when I wore my Dave Andreychuk jersey, so maybe it's a respect thing who knows. Damn I need a St. Louis jersey preferably black.

Old
10-07-2009, 07:13 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningHockey View Post

If I wore my Canes Jersey into a Montreal/Buffalo game or even a lightning game I would consider myself lucky if that was all I heard! I am sorry you had a bad time but other then Buffalo games, I have not seen any Canes fans really get out of hand.

Old
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
txpd

I am a Caps fan that lives near Raleigh NC. I go to RBC to see Caps games. I want to have a good time. Not start a fight or get harrassed. Try that Stamkos sweater in Philadelphia or MSG and see if its in one piece by the end of the night.

Dude, you are asking for it. Why?

BTW....I lived in Sarasota FL for severa years and watched many games at the palace/st pete times forum. I would never wear my Caps sweater in that arena either. Why make a target out of yourself??

Old
10-07-2009, 10:26 PM
bassassin

Man up or get out. If you wear the away colours expect flack and expect the possibility of having to stand up for yourself.

Old
10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 1418
Awards:
This game is over...moving on..

Closed Thread