HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What happened to Kovalev???

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2004, 10:34 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
What happened to Kovalev???

Where has Kovalev's game gone? He is going to be unrestricted after this season.
What will he end up signing for after this last brutal season and a half?

Old
04-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
he left it at the bottom of the Monongahela.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:43 PM
leafaholix*

Inconsistent.

He has 1 empty net goal and 2 assists (1 on an empty net goal) with Montreal.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:51 PM
stungun

basically he got traded to montreal. i really dont think this guy plays unless he wants to and since the trade he hasnt done squat. i dont think he is worried about being signed next season because he knows someone will pony up the cash. sure he wishes he was playing better but.... oh well. did anyone here think montreal was the best place for him to land knowing how he is... not me.

Old
04-07-2004, 10:54 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Inconsistent.

He has 1 empty net goal and 2 assists (1 on an empty net goal) with Montreal.
i think doing basically nothing is less than inconsistant. inconsistant is up and down. all i see is down. what's the deal?

Old
04-07-2004, 11:13 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

well, many attributed his breaking out to the Pens free flowing system while he was in Pittsburgh. so maybe it's the different systems he went into? and its not like he did very good in NY either. its just been downhill for him since the Pens dealt him.

Old
04-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Consistancy was never an issue and the guy showed as much heart and desire as any Penguin I can remember.

I have no clue what happened honestly...

A system can't make that big of a difference...can it?

Old
04-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungun
basically he got traded to montreal. i really dont think this guy plays unless he wants to and since the trade he hasnt done squat. i dont think he is worried about being signed next season because he knows someone will pony up the cash.
That's not Kovalev. He's a good guy that cares about winning first and foremost.

He just doesn't thrive in pressure situations, with the spotlight on him. Montreal is probably the worst city he could have gone to. He plays a risky style, he has frequent brain cramps and sort of does his own thing on the ice, at times. Usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't, and in Montreal the fans and the media can really get on you. He never had that problem in Pittsburgh.

Not to mention the brain trust in Montreal had him playing the left wing for a while. Freakin' morons.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Luigi Lemieux

this kovalev thing is very perplexing. in pittsburgh, he was not just a product of lemieux either. he played pretty much a whole season 2 years ago without lemieux and jagr, and was awesome.

maybe he's lost his confidence? he would handle and dangle the puck with authority in pittsburgh. i doubt he gets big money on the open market. he's a complete fool for rejecting a 5 mill / year offer from pittsburgh a couple years ago.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Disco Volante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Not to mention the brain trust in Montreal had him playing the left wing for a while. Freakin' morons.
Oh worst than that. He's been playing RW, but only on the third line with Dowd or Juneau as his center... :mad:

Freakin' moron(s) is right tho. Julien has been an ass since the last stretch of the season.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

My fear right now is that if the Habs get bounced the first round and Kovalev is a non factor, then we will have given away one of our best prospects and a pick for essentially 3 pts....

Kovalev might still be hurt or something, because he has looked so uninspired in the games that I have watched. It really is disappointing.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Where has Kovalev's game gone? He is going to be unrestricted after this season.
What will he end up signing for after this last brutal season and a half?
That is a question that was running through my mind watching him look very ordinary (or worse) again tonight. Odd that a talented player, in his prime goes from warp speed in Pittsburgh to a remarkedly pedestrian player literally overnight.

It has been suggested that the guy is the ultimate "passenger" type of player. That is, when surrounded by supreme offensive talent in Pittsburgh (Mario, Jagr, Lang, Straka), he flourished. when he is needed to be "the guy," he's not up to it. Only a very few are. Not sure what it is, but short of a sudden re-discovery of his game, he's in for a pay decrease next contract. And likely a short one, too. Both he and Paul Kariya.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

It has been suggested that the guy is the ultimate "passenger" type of player. That is, when surrounded by supreme offensive talent in Pittsburgh (Mario, Jagr, Lang, Straka), he flourished.
Thing was...he was "the" player in Pittsburgh for a while.

Straka was average at best until Kovalev showed up and Lang was nothing.

They fed off each other, but Kovalev was the big player.

He never played with Mario and Jags except on the PP occasionally, but even when they left he still was a great player.

I mean you can see what Straka has done since he left to see what Kovalev meant to us.

I'd welcome him back in Pittsburgh with open arms, and I'm sure he'd come back like a kid who lost his mommy...I just hope it works out that way.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
I think when Jagr and co were traded, Straka injured, Lang gone, Kovalev took the spotlight in Pittsburgh and took the team on his back.
So I somewhat disagree Trottier. Kovalev doesn't needs stars around him to flourish.
He's said so himself : he needs confidence from the whole staff that he can do HIS stuff without being benched. He's got a shake confidence it seems. But when he has it, wow.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

My question about Kovalev is, what's with all of the stupid penalties he's been taking this year?

Old
04-08-2004, 02:35 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
I think when Jagr and co were traded, Straka injured, Lang gone, Kovalev took the spotlight in Pittsburgh and took the team on his back.
So I somewhat disagree Trottier. Kovalev doesn't needs stars around him to flourish.
He's said so himself : he needs confidence from the whole staff that he can do HIS stuff without being benched. He's got a shake confidence it seems. But when he has it, wow.
He liked playing for the Pens and if he went back even with the team they have now he would put up huge points. Some players are like that Wendel Clark and the Leafs is another one

Old
04-08-2004, 03:29 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
My question about Kovalev is, what's with all of the stupid penalties he's been taking this year?
Lazy = lazy(stupid)penalties.

In all fairness to Kovalev, Julien hasn't exactly given him a whole lot of time to play with the best players in Montreal. Tonight he was playing with Dowd and Perrault go figure, he did nothing offensively.

Old
04-08-2004, 06:52 AM
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Julien hasn't exactly given him a whole lot of time to play with the best players in Montreal.
I think they were a little quick to jump the gun and throw him on the fourth line with Dowd and Perrault. Even if he's in a little slump (which is obvious), they still need to keep him playing with players who can score, or set up. Because there is no point having him on the fourth line, even if his [offensive] play is poor.

Old
04-08-2004, 07:06 AM
txpd

i am seeing reasons why he is sucking in montreal. why did he suck in new york from the day he returned. he wanted to be there.

Old
04-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Well from the get go Claude Julien made it clear he wanted Kovalev to adapt to the team and his linemates (and the defensive system) and not the other way around. Then of course (this is Montreal you know), after a lack of production for about 8 games, he's been booed when he took 2 stupid penalities in a row during a game at the Bell Center. Added to that, he's been playing LW one game with Koivu, then LW 2-3 games with Ribeiro, then RW with Juneau, then Dowd...

Basically he's now in Julien's doghouse and if his confidence was already shaky, it is now all gone. Kovalev doesn't feel wanted at all by his coach it seems, and he really didn't adapt to Montreal's type of play (quick transitioning and safe dumping isn't exactly in Kovalev's nature). Kovalev plays politician in his interviews saying he just needs to continue to adapt and he doesn't mind playing 4th line but honestly, I don't buy a word of it, and who can blame him. Playing with Joe "dump and change line" Juneau isn't going to get him going any time soon. He needs to play with Koivu and none other.

Although I think Kovalev's confidence was already at an all time low when he joined the team, and he does not appear to play hard (in fact he looks lost out there), I think Julien's handling of Kovalev has been nothing short of brutal. Talk about not knowing how to manage a new asset. Julien is a good coach, probably the best Montreal has had in years, but he's still a rookie at the NHL level and it shows in the way he handled (or didn't handle) the Kovalev situation.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Although I think Kovalev's confidence was already at an all time low when he joined the team, and he does not appear to play hard (in fact he looks lost out there), I think Julien's handling of Kovalev has been nothing short of brutal. Talk about not knowing how to manage a new asset. Julien is a good coach, probably the best Montreal has had in years, but he's still a rookie at the NHL level and it shows in the way he handled (or didn't handle) the Kovalev situation.
I totally disagree with that. Even when he's on the PP with Koivu, Zednik, Souray et al. he is absolutely awfull. I'm not one to jump on players when they are in a slump, but this is far worse than simply "not producing". He's coughing up the puck everytime he can, he's taking bad penalties, he's not playing with any emotion whatsoever. He's hurting the team everytime he's on the ice and he is doing it all by himself. I haven't seen a worse player on the Habs in a long time, including the much maligned Audette and Czerkawski.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Kovalev needs to play with skill guys. He's playing with the muckers & grinder on the 3rd and 4th lines because Julien doesn't want to disrupt the chemistry of the first two lines, according to his interview on TSN. So, uh, why did they acquire him if he's not going to be on a scoring line?

Old
04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Knucklez

I was thinking of making this exact thread, because I'm wondering the same thing.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Kovalev needs to play with skill guys. He's playing with the muckers & grinder on the 3rd and 4th lines because Julien doesn't want to disrupt the chemistry of the first two lines, according to his interview on TSN. So, uh, why did they acquire him if he's not going to be on a scoring line?
Kovalev is on the first PP unit since he was acquired and has 1 PP assist (his only non-empty net point) in over a dozen games. It's not his linemates's fault, it is his own.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Laziness, pure and simple. It's all little hooks and slashes instead of putting in the skating effort to stay with his man. Symptomatic of the way he is approaching the entire game at present.

Closed Thread