HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derick Brassard

Old
10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Derick Brassard

How is Derrick Brassard looking this year? Do you think he'll continue to center the Nash line? Is he one the first PP unit?

Thx

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Looks great. Will be centering Nash barring injuries. Plays on 1st unit.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Juneemoon

Y'all should start of one your big all-encompassing threads called "Questions Re: Your Fantasy Team"

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Renion

I honestly don't think he's looked that good yet. Not bad, mind you, but below his play of last season. I'm still worried he's going to be lost on the top line. He's an all-around offensive threat playing with Nash, a guy who likes to have the puck on his stick, and Huselius, another guy who likes to have the puck on his stick but who also is a very good playmaker. Nash and Huselius are still showing they have chemistry, but I don't think Brass has looked too comfortable yet.

To be sure, I think their chemistry will improve. But I have to wonder if Brass will be able to reach his full potential on a line where he isn't the top threat, as he was when playing with Chimera and Voracek last season.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Brass will be just fine. It might take a few more games for the whole line to get on the same page.

I remember when Hitch talked about having Zherdev on the top line, saying that Nash and Z did'nt mesh because they both had to have puck.

Now there are 3 playmakers on the first line, with Nash having 3 assists last night.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:24 AM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Y'all should start of one your big all-encompassing threads called "Questions Re: Your Fantasy Team"
Youre not kidding either. Heck, over half the questions before face-off on the GDT relate to fantasy. I love fantasy but not on a GDT

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I honestly don't think he's looked that good yet. Not bad, mind you, but below his play of last season. I'm still worried he's going to be lost on the top line. He's an all-around offensive threat playing with Nash, a guy who likes to have the puck on his stick, and Huselius, another guy who likes to have the puck on his stick but who also is a very good playmaker. Nash and Huselius are still showing they have chemistry, but I don't think Brass has looked too comfortable yet.

To be sure, I think their chemistry will improve. But I have to wonder if Brass will be able to reach his full potential on a line where he isn't the top threat, as he was when playing with Chimera and Voracek last season.
This.

I don't worry about all three (61, 20, and 16) being on the top line together because in pre-season, they looked very comfortable with one another. The temperature has really gone up since preseason and Brass still needs to find his game after not playing in almost a year.

I posted last night in the lines thread that I wouldn't mind seeing him away from the top pairings/players for awhile to get his game speed and confidence back.

He has been making passes that have been uncharacteristic to what we saw last year and in pre-season.

It might take 10 or so games, but he will find his way.

He looks fine on the pp to me, however.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
BluejacketNut

I think he'll be fine, but he hasnt done anything yet....but of course its only been 2 games, so too early to tell.

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

He'll be fine once he regains his game. He didn't play for nearly 4 months and hasn't played a competitive hockey game for a long time. However, once he gets into the swing of things, he'll be a monster on the top line.

He looked significantly better last night than he did at the home opener, IMO.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
GrimReeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
He'll be fine once he regains his game. He didn't play for nearly 4 months and hasn't played a competitive hockey game for a long time. However, once he gets into the swing of things, he'll be a monster on the top line.

He looked significantly better last night than he did at the home opener, IMO.

Don't over glorify him. He is basically a redshirted freshman in the NHL this year, he still has a lot of things to prove. If Brassard doesn't play better we are going to have serious issues.

Some of you who want an "A" slapped on his chest already, and make all the excuses in the book need to stop. He hasn't played hockey in so long, he sat out 4 months..bullcrap. He has been playing hockey his whole life you don't forget how to play. He played a full preseason, he was no more unprepared as any other player coming in. If you want to make the excuse that he doesn't have good chemistry with Nash and Huselius, now thats a legit excuse.

GrimReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
anteater90

Bench Nash, we are 2 games in and he has not scored a goal!

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
CBJNut

Send a message via ICQ to CBJNut Send a message via AIM to CBJNut Send a message via MSN to CBJNut Send a message via Yahoo to CBJNut
Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater90 View Post
Bench Nash, we are 2 games in and he has not scored a goal!
The fatty just isn't in shape yet.

CBJNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
section 204

Brass is playing on the right line - for now and for the forseeable future.

1) This is where the org plans for him to be long term - he gets the best prep for that by playing there
2) Playing there might have a short-term impact on some stats, but if Nash can put up a point a game with Malhotra (mostly) manning the pivot, then Brassard playing below his own ability while acclimating/getting up to speed won't hurt the team too bad
3) His line is getting much greater attention than any line he's ever played on, we as fans might need to deflate our expectations a smidge

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 03:18 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReeper View Post
Don't over glorify him. He is basically a redshirted freshman in the NHL this year, he still has a lot of things to prove. If Brassard doesn't play better we are going to have serious issues.

Some of you who want an "A" slapped on his chest already, and make all the excuses in the book need to stop. He hasn't played hockey in so long, he sat out 4 months..bullcrap. He has been playing hockey his whole life you don't forget how to play. He played a full preseason, he was no more unprepared as any other player coming in. If you want to make the excuse that he doesn't have good chemistry with Nash and Huselius, now thats a legit excuse.
Oh really? So you really think that pre-season and the regular season have been met with the same intensity and ferocity? You can't see the difference?

Who said he forgot how to play? Nobody.

The reality is the game seems like it is moving quickly for him and he is not up to speed. It is not uncommon for VETERAN NHL players to experience this let alone a guy who is pretty much a rookie.

I bet Brassard would be the first to admit that he is unhappy with his performance and wouldn't think poorly of having a chance to find his game within the game.

Old
10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:

So a young player is supposed to not play a competitive game of hockey for almost a year and should expect to come back and be playing well? Are you kidding me?

He was just adjusting to the NHL before he got hurt. It'll take an adjustment to get back to making quick decisions and letting the game slow down for him.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

Yeah he's been playing hockey his whole life. But he's only played hockey in the NHL for 2 months of his life, so there probably should be an adjustment period after missing all that time. He has to get used to the pace again. He's almost starting the NHL from scratch so give him a break.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Well, would Malhotra be doing better than Brass so far? Brassard is doing ok and will get better as the season goes on. I wonder how that injured shoulder is holding up?

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Well, would Malhotra be doing better than Brass so far? Brassard is doing ok and will get better as the season goes on. I wonder how that injured shoulder is holding up?
It is fully repaired and no longer injured...better than new.

Old
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
MMMBERGER

Seems to be a bit hesitant starting off the year, but I'm sure he'll only get better over time.

MMMBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:48 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I can only imagine how good he would be had the

season ending injury not occurred (from a meaningless fight - none the less - are there rules against a teammate going in and pushing a skilled player out of the confrontation after 2 guys square off? (it should have been done anyway.. frick the tough guy code))

He was averaging just under a point a game through 35 games? Those 50 missed games would have seasoned him for this year. As it is we will have to protect him and let him grow into the spot.

Side note and the reason behind my eternal optimism:

Without question I have seen more skill exhibited the past two games then we sometimes showed in entire seasons. Brassard, Voracek, Vermette, Filatov, Nash, Juice.. they have all been part of that.

And when your forwards are capable of making the skilled play.. your defenders will score more goals because the other team's have to sag defensively instead of pushing forward and getting up in our blue lines face. it also makes the power play better.

I heard one of the Sirius announcer bashing our power play as "God awful", 1 for 6 is crap.. but he failed to include the 2 shorties in that analysis.. "We have skill that will make that powerplay go.. I am hopeful that Stralman can add that missing ingredient and direct some one timers from the point. If he can get his shot through.. I am confident we can put em in off Torres backside.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
orthosrgn2

Offering analysis on any player after 2 games is premature. Give him a minimum of 10 games before I cast aspersions or shower him with accolades.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthosrgn2 View Post
Offering analysis on any player after 2 games is premature. Give him a minimum of 10 games before I cast aspersions or shower him with accolades.
Flaunting wisdom and maturity is totally uncalled for. Please be ashamed.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthosrgn2 View Post
Commenting on how a player has played for the last 2 games is not premature at all, it is merely reporting what has been seen to date.

Old
10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

It's my opinion that commenting on how a player has played for two games is not the same as casting aspresions or showering with accolades. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I don't have a problem with evaluation of Brass' play to start the season, I just don't find it useful to project it out as a "win" or "fail" situation. I'm sure every player is rated by the coaches after every game. Two games, though, is not enough time to draw many conclusions that will stand review over time. Klesla is not a point a game player, let alone a goal a game guy. Nash will not be held scoreless for the season. That's all I'm saying. I consider that to be a wise and mature position (since it's the one I'm taking!).

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
It's my opinion that commenting on how a player has played for two games is not the same as casting aspresions or showering with accolades. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I don't have a problem with evaluation of Brass' play to start the season, I just don't find it useful to project it out as a "win" or "fail" situation. I'm sure every player is rated by the coaches after every game. Two games, though, is not enough time to draw many conclusions that will stand review over time. Klesla is not a point a game player, let alone a goal a game guy. Nash will not be held scoreless for the season. That's all I'm saying.
Good. I was starting to worry about Nash.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote